• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Evil West review topic

winjer

Gold Member
Still watching GMan's review. Doesn't seem like a good game, at all.
SkillUp seems to be very positive, so I'll see what he says next.

Beer Baelly

Al Pachinko, Konami President
This kind of midbudget game never hit big scores, so it could be worse. It looks well made, perhaps a little too much basic fun for journalists, not enough shit puzzles and character development.

Yet this game tries to do all that

ungalo

Yet this game tries to do all that
I watched Skill Up video, to me it seemed very focused on combat but i might be wrong. The pre-rendered cutscenes don't give me the vibe of a game with neverending walking talking segments, more like the typical 360 game of the old days.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
This kind of midbudget game never hit big scores, so it could be worse. It looks well made, perhaps a little too much basic fun for journalists, not enough shit puzzles and character development.
True.

These games are best appreciated as budget friendly priced games. Problem is it isn't priced that way. It looks like it's only $10 cdn cheaper than normal. So it's basically a full priced game at midbudget quality which is a disaster waiting to happen.

Kimahri

Banned
I haven't had this much fun in years. Game is bat shit insanity. Some of the best boss fights in a long time, and the sense of getting stupid powerful while still being thrown into crazy encounters that'll kill you fast if you blink is awesome.

Also, no puzzles, just simple shoot this to open that stuff, and character development is awesome. The skills you get and how you upgrade them is fucking awesome. Who wouldn't love an unlimited supply of dynamite that spawns into three and summons a tornado?

Story is actually fun and feels like a well directed movie full of great acting and dialogue.

Easily on my top list this year.

Kimahri

Banned
I watched Skill Up video, to me it seemed very focused on combat but i might be wrong. The pre-rendered cutscenes don't give me the vibe of a game with neverending walking talking segments, more like the typical 360 game of the old days.
It i. It's basically cutscene, explore area and fight tons of enemies, then cutscene again.

No mindless boring walking. It's pretty fast paced.

I mean, there are a ton of AA games that hit well into the 80’s, no one is picking on midbudget titles. Plague Tale just got nominated for GOTY

I haven't had this much fun in years. Game is bat shit insanity. Some of the best boss fights in a long time, and the sense of getting stupid powerful while still being thrown into crazy encounters that'll kill you fast if you blink is awesome.

Also, no puzzles, just simple shoot this to open that stuff, and character development is awesome. The skills you get and how you upgrade them is fucking awesome. Who wouldn't love an unlimited supply of dynamite that spawns into three and summons a tornado?

Story is actually fun and feels like a well directed movie full of great acting and dialogue.

Easily on my top list this year.
On a scale between Shadow Warrior 3 (0) and Shadow Warrior 2013 (10), where does it sit?

That doesn't count, the game is more beautiful than a lot of AAA and you got a kid with you.

I also consider something like lego Star Wars the very definition of AA, and it reviewed well and sold a lot of copies. Same as Tiny Tina. I mean, the other scenario at play here is that AA games always reviewed in the 7’s range but people just didnt care as much about reviews as they do today.

Last edited:
don't give a f*ck. ordered it months ago and it's coming tomorrow.
I like the character designs, graphics look great, the colors really pop, game looks like it runs
really smooth, gun sounds are good and powerful and I always wanted a sequel to Darkwatch.
this is the case of youtubers and journalist expecting every game to do something new and unique when a game doesn't need to do that do be good.
wish we had more games like this. linear, simple, beautiful and just having fun

Hot5pur

Voidu at $35 is pretty reasonable on launch day.
This is an AA game rated on an AAA scale, and it manages to squeeze out a mid 7, pretty good I'd say. Too bad there is not much end game stuff.
All reviewers praise the gameplay, that's what matters ;)

Belthazar

The gameplay mechanics for this feels like they could be a great framework for a coop experience with procedurally generated levels, kinda like Remnant From The Ashes. And I know people seem to hate on procedural generation for games... But this hardly benefits from being entirely handcrafted, with environments being very unremarkable when it comes to both aesthetics and level design.

With this being just a 10-or-so hours campaign it would've needed to be a lot better to justify the asking price.

Kimahri

Banned
The gameplay mechanics for this feels like they could be a great framework for a coop experience with procedurally generated levels, kinda like Remnant From The Ashes. And I know people seem to hate on procedural generation for games... But this hardly benefits from being entirely handcrafted, with environments being very unremarkable when it comes to both aesthetics and level design.

With this being just a 10-or-so hours campaign it would've needed to be a lot better to justify the asking price.
Did you play it?

Karak

Really hoped this one would pan out. But its got so many issues. I really wish they fixed the combat because damn its rough as hell even after upgrading everything. Pretty ok at a sale point and when patched up.
Was also surprised how much downtime there is which surprised me. But I liked the fiction personally. But man getting a bit tired of games that just don't feel ready.
Also the PC issues and tying in so many effects to one another is really something I want to see less of. They are patching some stuff which seems to also include the horrid audio issues at times especially with the 3d positioning and layering.

Last edited:

YuLY

I trust Gman over ShillUp any day, especially with an action game.
Gman is probably my favorite reviewer right now. But like 50% of his takes are awful. I watch cause of good production, the older games he covers, his comments around that period/culture etc and the vibe. I dont really trust his opinion.

stn

I would buy this if I didn't have a deep backlog. Gonna wait until I clear a few games first.

The thing is we know this one will drop in price. So there is that.
Will probably just go after your advice and wait for the drop.
Your comparison with The Order 1886 scared me off a bit because I found that game to be pretty stale and basic after a while.
And after playing the new Pokemon I can understand your fatigue of games that just aren't ready too well.
But after a price drop and some patches this may be some worthwhile coop fun.

Kimahri

Banned

Wait ... is this a review of Evil West or Elden Ring..? :)

Uhhhh... That's an interesting take. Iloved bosses returning as regulars. Going from struggling with a beast when it shows up as a boss, to pummeling it like a pancake later on is pretty cool.

And to me a damage sponge is something tedious that does not pose much danger outside of wearing you out with how long it takes to die.

This is not that, there is no time to stand still, I was constantly moving, attacking, doing something because anything else was certain death.

Gonna stop spamming the thread now. Just really loved this game.

Oh, and it's refreshingly macho, and not ashamed of it. Pretty sure it also took a stab at The Last Jedi when the main baddie says the whole "let the past die" line. I chuckled.

Really hoped this one would pan out. But its got so many issues. I really wish they fixed the combat because damn its rough as hell even after upgrading everything. Pretty ok at a sale point and when patched up.
Was also surprised how much downtime there is which surprised me. But I liked the fiction personally. But man getting a bit tired of games that just don't feel ready.
Also the PC issues and tying in so many effects to one another is really something I want to see less of. They are patching some stuff which seems to also include the horrid audio issues at times especially with the 3d positioning and layering.
It’s game after game after game this holiday season that is unfinished and unoptimized! Like wtf!? Don’t know how you guys can take it. Aside from Ragnarok there hasn’t been one polished game recently.

Arsic

Loves his juicy stink trail scent
When it’s on sale during a lul with nothing else to play it’ll be ripe for the picking.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
Just went through GmanLive’s review. Pretty disappointing.

Never noticed just how much I despise pushing/pulling giant carts/blocks until I saw it repeated in his review.

I mean, I’ll pick it up at some point (along with Shadow Warrior 3), but not until there’s a big discount.

Top Bottom