• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Excessive video gaming to be recognized as mental health disorder

pcostabel

Gold Member
CBS

The World Health Organization is poised to classify "gaming disorder" as a mental health problem in its 2018 update of the International Classification of Diseases (ICD).

Gaming disorder could be diagnosed if a person's video game habit "is of sufficient severity to result in significant impairment in personal, family, social, educational, occupational or other important areas of functioning," according a tentative draft of WHO's 11th update to the ICD.

WHO officials have not made a final decision on whether gaming disorder will indeed be included as part of the 2018 ICD.

The latest update of the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders (DSM-5), which guides psychiatric diagnoses in the U.S., does not go so far. Its latest update, published in 2013, lists Internet Gaming Disorder as a condition warranting more clinical research and experience before it might be considered for inclusion as a formal disorder.

Portugeezer

I am fine with this, although I don't know if gaming is an important distinction here or if they would do something else nonproductive if games weren't an option...

That said, falling into the rabbit hole of Internet culture and gaming can sometimes be an easy out for people who experience difficulties in their daily lives, and traps them.

deriks

4-Time GIF/Meme God
If the person is confirmed as an addict, well, it is a disorder like any other addiction.

Totally fine with it.

JP

I think it's good that this is happening.

It is worth mentioning that they aren't talking about classifying just playing a few hours a day as a mental illness, they're talking about it the same as other mental disorders where it becomes debilitating for the people concerned.

shpankey

not an idiot
Honestly, this is just the way we humans are wired. As with any "hobby" one tends to like, we delve in absolutely and consume a large part of our life in the matter. It's nothing one hobby over another doesn't have.

MastAndo

Honestly, this is just the way we humans are wired. As with any "hobby" one tends to like, we delve in absolutely and consume a large part of our life in the matter. It's nothing one hobby over another doesn't have.
I don't think the statement applies to everyone. It's purely anecdotal, but I know plenty of people who get into hobbies, but are not all-consumed by it - I'm not one of those people though.

None of this is unique to video games though, so it's strange to tie it directly to that...but there is certainly an obsessive personality trait associated with all this that can work for or against a person.

Traxtech

Plenty of people out there who have video game addiction (mainly mmo) have ruined their family or made them lose their jobs. So it's probably a good idea.. I guess?

BANGS

Banned
I think it's good that this is happening.

It is worth mentioning that they aren't talking about classifying just playing a few hours a day as a mental illness, they're talking about it the same as other mental disorders where it becomes debilitating for the people concerned.

The problem arises from idiots, mothers, wives, etc who will see this and just start claiming gamers have a disease and shouldn't be playing games at all...

DanielJr82

The problem arises from idiots, mothers, wives, etc who will see this and just start claiming gamers have a disease and shouldn't be playing games at all...
Exactly, they will misquote and misrepresent the study like the media always does and jump to the conclusion that gaming in any form enables the disease.

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell
"Bob, you're out of control. Video games are ruining your life and your relationships. We're doing this for your own good. Strap him down and lock him in this room until he detoxes!"

"No! Please! I....need...my...Final....Fantasy....."

"He's going into withdrawal seizures, someone restrain him!"

LimpNeedyHoki-max-1mb.gif

shpankey

not an idiot
I don't think the statement applies to everyone. It's purely anecdotal, but I know plenty of people who get into hobbies, but are not all-consumed by it - I'm not one of those people though.

None of this is unique to video games though, so it's strange to tie it directly to that...but there is certainly an obsessive personality trait associated with all this that can work for or against a person.
Right, good point. You're said it best here.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
In my opinion it's going to cause a lot of false accusations. Imagine you genuinely beat a game in 1-2 sittings or you get to level 50+ in an MMO and someone outright says you have a mental condition.

I agree in that anything can be an addiction and if you're about to lose your home over a game then that's a huge problem. What I don't like is how this will be used in every single healthcare class or anytime someone thinks another person "gamed too much". I've been in a nursing class where they outright said GTA should be banned and their only evidence was watching a clip or two on YouTube.

I feel bad for the younger generation who manage to reach a level or something inside a video game and having to deal with someone saying they have a mental disorder.

There are probably better examples and I'm not considering actual cases where gaming has destroyed someone's life. I have met wive's who said part of the reason they divorced was that their spouse was playing games instead of being a partner.

It's probably a good thing they recognize there's a problem like anything else. I just think that there's people out there (inside the industry and outside)
who are going to use it in situations where it isn't a disorder. Hell, I've called into work a few times in my life so that I could get a game. It's not a big deal. I don't do it everyday though.

finally recognized. always said gaming is a terrible and dangerous addiction. gotta chase that next dopamine fix

not enough studies how gaming and ipads are affecting young brains develop, esp at the toddler stage of life

DryvBy

finally recognized. always said gaming is a terrible and dangerous addiction. gotta chase that next dopamine fix

not enough studies how gaming and ipads are affecting young brains develop, esp at the toddler stage of life

Gaming is not terrible nor dangerous in any way other things are. Addiction is the disease. If they're not addicted to gaming, they'd be addicted to other things. Anything you do that's taking control of your life and isn't normal is a mental disorder.

magnumpy

Gaming is not terrible nor dangerous in any way other things are. Addiction is the disease. If they're not addicted to gaming, they'd be addicted to other things. Anything you do that's taking control of your life and isn't normal is a mental disorder.

yeah, I think this guy has it nailed down. most people who play games just consider it a hobby, and that is ok if you ask me.

can I get a handicap parking permit with this...? /s

seriously thou, I never feel that outside of MMO and those gotcha phone games, people would get addicted to gaming that bad. I guess I was wrong. thou a lot of these cell phone games are more or less glorified slot machine these days, I feel that those should fall under some kinda gambling addiction category instead.

shpankey

not an idiot
One could add, addiction to the internet, or even forums themselves. It really is more of a personality trait that would present itself in one form or another. Gaming is being (unfairly imo) listed as the cause, when clearly, it's not.

Fbh

Only read the Info in the OP but does the entire article mention what makes videogames different or why they are being singled out ?

Sounds more like there is an underlying illnesses, and over consumption of videogames is just a symptom

HMC

I assume gaming is being singled out due to its active dopamine pops. Gaming as an activity is addictive by nature. Watching/listening to things are passive events. Very few other hobbies actively stimulate the brain and create the same hyper-focus like gaming does, IMO.

xviper

i would like to join them and recognize Football as a Football disorder, better yet, a Smart Phone Disorder, or Talking too much Disorder

if a habit someone enjoys doing that doesn't effect their health, it's not a disorder

AngeloB

Neo Member
I agree that any dependency that impacts negatively the lives of people, should be considered a disorder.

Now let's move on to the next mental disorder: people who can't leave their smartphones alone for an hour. Always on Facebook, Twitter, WhatsApp, Instagram, YouTube, etc. Even on the middle of lunch, cinema, work, etc.

weltalldx

Excess of anything can be bad. It is not hard to see that excessive video games can lead to all sorts of problem.

What is a more prominent inquiry to ask is whether videogames is an addiction. I am not talking about console gaming, I am referring to League of Legend competitive gaming. If so, should there be intervention and and possible treatment, curfews or legislation to limit so form of addictions.

Sweetloaf

This is great as long as I can get time off work with it!

I assume basic tv watching will be classified in the same way?

JimiNutz

Banned
I definitely go through phases where I feel really depressed and just sit at home playing videogames all day. I think it provides escapism from reality and allows my brain to focus on something else rather then the poisonous thoughts in my head. I know I'm certainly not alone in this and know other people that display this behaviour also.

I'd say the depression itself it the disease, not the computer games, but then it's definitely a slippery slope since excess gaming eventually just makes me feel even more depressed.

When I'm eating well, exercising daily, getting fresh air (and sunlight) and meditating daily computer games get very little time in my life.

This is great as long as I can get time off work with it!

I assume basic tv watching will be classified in the same way?

You seemed to have misunderstood the entire point of the decision and what they are classifying.

The larger issue of science illiteracy can be pretty sad to see when a large portion of the media and their consumers react to something like this.

Kamina

Golden Boy
Personally i think this should be called Media-consumption-disorder or something. Videogames in this context can be replaced by internet, TV, and co. easily.

But yeah, if you choose to spend all day every day to play rather than to socialize and follow other hobbies and duties then you have an addiction.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
I wonder how they'll "treat" it. Play games for an hour? Save more often? Cancel preorders?

I wonder if the medical field had extreme cases where people lost their kids or their home. Like one of those episodes of Law & Order where the parents are playing MMO's while their kid is all alone.

Now a days we have a suspend feature. I remember a few times where I left the console on while I left and did something.

In my own experience I'd pause the game or go into a menu when I need to go do something. For a lot of people it's easy. Just sit down the controller or handheld and come back when you're done.

xion4360

I definitely go through phases where I feel really depressed and just sit at home playing videogames all day. I think it provides escapism from reality and allows my brain to focus on something else rather then the poisonous thoughts in my head. I know I'm certainly not alone in this and know other people that display this behaviour also.

I'd say the depression itself it the disease, not the computer games, but then it's definitely a slippery slope since excess gaming eventually just makes me feel even more depressed.

When I'm eating well, exercising daily, getting fresh air (and sunlight) and meditating daily computer games get very little time in my life.

Sounds like gaming is a solution to problems your having, but this is more about excessive gaming itself being the problem..

there are people who are addicted to gaming, playing constantly and ignoring other facets of their life.. weve heard about people dying from sitting in a chair too long playing a game.

Its not a problem most of us have, but its a real thing and the first step of getting help is recognizing there is a problem.

video game addiction, video game disorder --- whatever they want to label it, it's very real. i feel like if playing games is your only hobby and it's all you do, it's unhealthy. anything to the extreme is unhealthy.

TheGamer

If the person is confirmed as an addict, well, it is a disorder like any other addiction.

Totally fine with it.

Me too, but I think it should be categorized under the addiction category, with many subcategories underneath like gambling and alcohol. I'm not a psychologist so I don't know if it is already grouped into it, but I am assuming that gaming addiction trait shares similar behavioral aspects to gambling, smoking, or alcohol addiction, just that its a different outlet.

Have you tried the drugs yourself? I doubt you have any idea what you are talking about...

This response is terrible.

My family has a history in pharmaceutical representation, pharmaceuticals are not the "good guys". They are cooperations like every other trying to increase profits. They lobby, they commission, and they want as many people on medication as possible. Please don't say ignorant shit like "Have you tried the drugs?" You think a doctor, psychologist, or nurse tries every drug the prescribe? Do you even understand what a pharmaceutical representative is? The World Health Organization has been in the back pocket of corporate pharmaceuticals forever.

Top Bottom