• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

EXCLUSIVE | Microsoft plans Starfield launch for PlayStation 5

I think a lot of people are missing the point.

Every extra Xbox game sold on other platforms is just a net win for MS if this is their multiplatform strategy.

Spiderman 2 cost over $300 million to make, it isn't very sustainable and even Sony know it hence their investment in GaaS.

Let's see how good your math is, okay?

$70 & 5 million = $350 million.

$350 million > $300 million.

And that's assuming somehow, the game has sold zero copies since its seventh day on sale, which we know is not true.

Safe to say it's rather sustainable and profitable at this point for sure.

Sonik

Of course. Dumb Xbox fans have not bought the game since they played it on Gamepass, so financially the game was very unsuccessful, so in order to make some money game need to be sold on other consoles.

You want exclusives: buy your games. Devs won’t be making games that are not bought, I can’t even comprehend how Xbox fans don’t understand this very simple fact.

Yes it's because of Gamepass and xbox fans, not because the game is boring as fuck

DanielG165

Every extra Xbox game sold on other platforms is just a net win for MS if this is their multiplatform strategy.
Yep. This news, IF TRUE, will simply mean more revenue coming in for Microsoft. They’re a multi trillion dollar company; they’re not really losing much of anything if they do this. I liken it to Sony releasing their games as exclusives first, then slowly but surely porting them to PC.

HeWhoWalks

Gold Member
It's just an example of how expensive game development is today and how the traditional avenue of "put game on shelf, sell game" doesn't hit the same in 2024, but if you have other confirmed dev budgets I could've used as an example instead so you didn't get upset, I'd be open to editing my post.
Upset? 🤣

My man — you are struggling right now which is why you are trying to minimize the damage with Niche-Man 2 (a game of massive success). I'm just feedin' popcorn to a chicken, so be glad that's just the appetizer and not the full course meal!

Last edited:
:messenger_hushed: :messenger_tears_of_joy:
GFhFotnXUAA0V1T

Yep. This news, IF TRUE, will simply mean more revenue coming in for Microsoft. They’re a multi trillion dollar company; they’re not really losing much of anything if they do this. I liken it to Sony releasing their games as exclusives first, then slowly but surely porting them to PC.

What does Microsoft making more money, do for you as a gamer? Or certainly a Day 1 Xbox console gamer/customer in the context of this (and other similar) rumors?

Elios83

I doubt many people will care at this point given that the reputation of the game is tarnished so a late port at 70$ of a not so good game is not going to get them huge sales.
But if confirmed lol, their strategy will be basically confirmed to have been an unsustainable mess all the time.

Indiana Jones makes much more sense than Starfield at this point. Too bad they paid Disney to allow them to cancel the PS5 version they will have to release next year anyway....a total fuck up.

Last edited:
If this news is true, which at this point I don’t doubt it is, I’m done buying physical or digital games on Xbox. I refuse to invest any more into a dying platform. There is literally no reason to own multiple platforms and pay for multiple subscription services.

H-I-M

Or they're doing this because making Xbox exclusives while being outsold 3/1 (in the US) and 20/1 in Europe isn't sustainable...

You brought Spiderman as example, but that game is still selling and is still in every country's top10.
Starfield and Forza on the other hand have completely left the charts, leaving Microsoft no other choice but to change strategy.

OmegaSupreme

advanced basic bitch
So who will Xbox fans blame for this I wonder? Sony? The one two punch of Sony/Nintendo? Incompetent Xbox leadership?

Last edited:

Flabagast

From now on there is no reason at all to buy an Xbox series console, and current owners should sell theirs before the value comes down to 0

//DEVIL//

Of course. Dumb Xbox fans have not bought the game since they played it on Gamepass, so financially the game was very unsuccessful, so in order to make some money game need to be sold on other consoles.

You want exclusives: buy your games. Devs won’t be making games that are not bought, I can’t even comprehend how Xbox fans don’t understand this very simple fact.
The only dumb person here is you. Why did you buy it when it's on game pass. It's a MS service that MS is promoting.

Also. Starfield sucks. I got it for free with the amd cpu and I even then regret getting it. Should have went with star wars Jedi star fighter.or whatever it's called when it was available. But I waited because of the hype and dear god the game sucks. .it will sell 3 copies on ps5

They just had to kill Xbox to do it. Are you guys serious? You're just MS fans now?

It's a very weird mentality and I don't get it. Like an extreme evolved version of some PlayStation fans who jizz themselves when sales results come out.

At least in their case it's still directly tied to the console hardware and gaming brand, they're not going on and on about how much money the sensor department makes as if that means anything for SIE.

I'm all for divisions and companies making their money but as a gamer and a customer I have needs/wants too. It's up to platform holders to find the right balance.

gothmog

Gold Member
Jim knew this was coming, which is why he timed his retirement to happen just as Xbox throws in the towel on the console wars.

This really doesn't change much for me unless we suddenly see Starfield become an almost completely different game with the DLC.

Or they're doing this because making Xbox exclusives while being outsold 3/1 (in the US) and 20/1 in Europe isn't sustainable...

You brought Spiderman as example, but that game is still selling and is still in every country's top10.
Starfield and Forza on the other hand have completely left the charts, leaving Microsoft no other choice but to change strategy.
On the other hand, Game Pass brings in $2bn a year, as well as the money MS makes on PC/Steam, where their games sell quite well.

Wooxsvan

Here is the bad thing about this. If MS is seriously going to bow out of the bleeding edge console hardware game, that leaves Sony w/ no competition in the space. Likely means they will not be pushing as hard as they would w/o that competition in place. I hope MS doesnt give up totally on it.

Top Bottom