• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

EXCLUSIVE | Microsoft plans Starfield launch for PlayStation 5

vkbest

If the game costs 200m then usually you need to account another 200m for the marketing, so 400m in revenue to break even... probably Ms didn't need to make money on the game, they probably just wanted the lights and the hype around the game to punt under the shine the Series S/X... and probably that's the real bad investment looking how bad the game came out and how poorly it was received.
I wonder if Bethesda workers have bonus depending of the number of sales of their games. if it's so, I'm sure they are pissed now.

Megatron

The best Sony can accomplish by doing that, is drive people away as there would be less reason to own a Playstation.

MS doing so is the very reason we have this discussion to begin with.
This is boomer thinking man. Nobody is going to not buy a PlayStation because 8-20 years from now Sony might release the games elsewhere.

HeWhoWalks

Gold Member
I do. I have every system. But not everyone does. But I guess as long as you and I can play everything fuck everyone else, right? :D
Oh yeah, sure. That's exactly what I said.

And you couldn't give a shit about "everyone". You just want Nintendo and Sony to "share" because Microsoft is being forced to.

Last edited:

Killjoy-NL

This is boomer thinking man. Nobody is going to not buy a PlayStation because 8-20 years from now Sony might release the games elsewhere.
8-20 years from now, only boomers care about the current games.
Not worth it.

Edit:

Just woke up, so maybe I'm misreasing your post.

You're talking 20 years from now? Who knows what will happen by then. Way too far into the future.

Last edited:

Xion_Stellar

People should stop referencing data that makes me feel uncomfortable because games get ported to platforms I don't like
I wonder if Bethesda workers have bonus depending of the number of sales of their games. if it's so, I'm sure they are pissed now.
I really hope they do and I really hope they failed to reach it too because they almost killed Obsidian when they withheld their bonus because New Vegas got a 89 on Metacritic instead of 90+

ToadMan

It will be much faster than that.

With xbox custom console hardware gone, Sony will be the only console and between that and PC we are done.

Nintendo have their space, and everyone gets everything wherever they choose to play on those platforms.

Faster we get down to one performance console the better. The market and costs of development cannot sustain 2 even as MS have found to their loss.

Oh and yes game prices will sky rocket, as they should. AAA games should cost north of $100 to buy today given the team size, risk and saturation of indies.

Kokoloko85

How did Xbox going multiplatform turn in PS needs to do the same?… MLB was forced on them. Bungie was a decision from the start.

No1 ever said Rare and Obsidian games were meant to come to PS. And Bethesda was a hot topic and never confirmed To go multiplatform after purchase.

Eventually, a lot of PS and Microsoft games will go cross console after a year or two of exclusivity or at least go console + pc. As Phil said, he expects the market to go that way because dev costs are so high. Publishers need to recoup more money and keep GAAS games full of players, no matter the device.

I’m rather glad Microsoft are leading this charge, and I’m glad they are in the console market. The doomsayers/PS fanboys on GAF seem to have forgotten how shitty “arrogant Sony” used to be when they felt like they had too much market power. It sucked.

Zheph

Eventually, a lot of PS and Microsoft games will go cross console after a year or two of exclusivity or at least go console + pc. As Phil said, he expects the market to go that way because dev costs are so high. Publishers need to recoup more money and keep GAAS games full of players, no matter the device.

I’m rather glad Microsoft are leading this charge, and I’m glad they are in the console market. The doomsayers/PS fanboys on GAF seem to have forgotten how shitty “arrogant Sony” used to be when they felt like they had too much market power. It sucked.
Calling out doomsayer/fanboy and proceed to make a doomsayer/fanboy comment

Nickelodeon Yes GIF by SpongeBob SquarePants

Calling out doomsayer/fanboy and proceed to make a doomsayer/fanboy comment

I don’t feel referencing the recent past is doomsaying.
I don’t feel like calling out the recent past as a cautionary tale and doomsaying the future of a console platform are the same thing. One’s based on fact and one’s based on biased speculation,

Zheph

I don’t feel like calling out the recent past as a cautionary tale and doomsaying the future of a console platform are the same thing. One’s based on fact and one’s based on biased speculation,
If one company has been arrogant recently its not the one you seem to think. The videogame landscape is very competitive despite Xbox woes and Sony will have to adjust and be careful regardless so yes it is fanboy speculation because their favourite brand is failling

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
I'm glad we both agree that launching some games from back catalogues doesn’t necessarily mean the end of console sales.

Not exactly the same dynamic when the publisher isn’t a platform holder, is it?
And we agree that putting 1st party day one on Game Pass might have hurt MS more than putting games on PC day one.

As far as GTA VI, thats just an example that even 3rd parties have their own goals for PC releases. Different companies have different goals....weird huh?

HeWhoWalks

Gold Member

What sucked? That you could skip the $600 console and buy two cheaper ones? :pie_roffles:

Kokoloko85

I knew this was gonna be one of the narratives when Xbox went multiplatform. Leading the charge….lol

Next theres going to be a wave of “fans” and “journalists” calling PS and Nintendo anti consumer and anti gamer for not going multiplatform.

Last edited:

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
I knew this was gonna be one of the narratives when Xbox went multiplatform. Leading the charge….lol
Yeah, but it is beautiful to see people hyping their exclusives up while also saying exclusives are bad as they portbeg HellDivers 2… and claim to be doing it for “consumers everywhere” 😂.

They are rushing the astroturfing, becomes way too evident like this.

Last edited:

mdkirby

Unless it goes through a NMS or Cyberpunk rework, there's no chance im buying this on ps5, I dropped it after 20hr on gamespass (and fell asleep multiple times whilst playing it) when Alan wake 2 came out. I thought I might return after, but I was hooked on Alan wake, absolutely binged it without nodding off, and everything about it was superior, that direct comparison helped cement just how much Starfield didn't land for me, so I never returned.

Kokoloko85

Yeah, but it is beautiful to see people hyping up their exclusives while also saying exclusives are bad when they portbeg HellDivers 2… and claim to be doing it for “consumers everywhere” 😂.

They are rushing the astroturfing, becomes way too evident like this.

Yep.
They failed with the Gamepass narrative. This won’t last long either. Once the next wave of xbox games go multiplatform things are gonna change and no narrative can help the sinking ship

Last edited:

laynelane

Next theres going to be a wave of “fans” and “journalists” calling PS and Nintendo anti consumer and anti gamer for not going multiplatform.

I've seen so much bad Xbox news spun as positive, but "leading the charge" is a whole other level of spin. I don't think Twitter and other forms of online discourse (eg. astroturfing) have been really helping Xbox for quite some time now, but I suppose it is reaching some people.

Last edited:

DaGwaphics

I'm just looking forward to the expansion. I love the game, but I've once again confirmed that I'm a very task based gamer. Once I run out of quests (I completed basically everything other than the clone quests) I have a hard time motivating myself to keep going with it.

Top Bottom