• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

EXCLUSIVE | Microsoft plans Starfield launch for PlayStation 5

Zones

Jim Ryan is live and he’s on a very important phone call right now…

gif.gif

SkylineRKR

Hopefully Xbox don't arrive all arrogant thinking people on PlayStation and Nintendo will buy their games over 1st party and other 3rd party studios/publishers. They better bring the quality because PlayStation and Nintendo has options. Especially PlayStation.

Starfield better utilize the SSD on the PS5 without a million loading screens because this wouldn't sell well

I think it will sell just fine like any TES or Fallout game, might even outsell the Xbox version eventually due to userbase. But it probably won't stand out from a quality standpoint. Especially if they don't fix its most glaring issues.

They paid for all these developers but didn't sell enough consoles, so now they have to either keep making a loss on all the games, or go third-party. But as is the case for Microsoft, they'll just axe a bunch of the low level workers and all the execs who allowed this to happen to will remain there.

The guy's mental health is about to split into several different personalities once ms takes the stage officially. You can feel it.

I think a lot of people are missing the point.

Every extra Xbox game sold on other platforms is just a net win for MS if this is their multiplatform strategy.

Spiderman 2 cost over $300 million to make, it isn't very sustainable and even Sony know it hence their investment in GaaS.

As long as we wont hear any studio closures from ms then yes, they need to do all they can to make a profit. Everyone should be rooting for 3rd party ms future. They lost, bigly. Now do what is right after you bought all those studios.

Trunim

Good. I don't want to buy multiple consoles next time around just to enjoy all games. Even though starfield was a massive pile of shit, this maybe changes future releases from microsoft.

Last edited:

K2D

Banned
Should have released it for $80 bucks early access on PS5. They'd have sucker me into buying it foh shore.

Xbox: dies tomorrow and liquidate every single studio they own.

Dolt Eastwood: you can only achieve true victory through death.

100% something he would say.

Yeah Covid really hid how things really were going. Series X and PS5 were both selling about equal, but it was obvious that demand for PS5 was much higher. It fetched much higher scalper prices too for example. XSS was the only system readily available, i've never seen it out of stock. PS5 couldn't really bury Xbox because it simply wasn't in stock.

MS probably thought they were doing good despite not having next-gen software. And Covid sort of saved their face tbh. They got away with it for a good year or longer. Sony was also impacted, and didn't release that many next-gen only software or backpedaled on some IP by going crossplatform. This was because the installed base was far too low due to shortages. But in case of MS it was because they simply had nothing ready. And then they had to delay Halo Infinite almost straight away, which was a bad outlook.

To be honest, I bought both systems in 2020 and the PS5 felt like a far better system to me. Xbox Series felt like another Xbox One. Same OS, same controller, same games. PS5 had a new controller with haptics and adaptive triggers I didn't experience before. And some true next-gen games such as Astrobot and Demon's Souls on launch day. Astrobot showed off the new features in a brilliant way, that game made me smile and happy about my purchase. I never use the Xbox anymore actually. When KI was updated, another old game, I did use it for a few weeks. But no, I don't see any benefit compared to PS5.

Point blank, MS failed to create a sustainable value proposition for Xbox this gen, and Game Pass wasn't it because that service's growth was a fad in a bubble reliant on an economic crisis caused by a pandemic.

It's unfortunate, because at the start of the gen I did think they had a chance to surmount a solid market for Series and begin gaining back some market share, but the problems with XGS games revealed in 2020 were the first signs of larger-scale management problems. It just took a while for me to fully accept that being the case.

And ultimately, all the problems with the brand today stem back to poor upper-level management & leadership. Even now, they're saying it's Sarah Bond who's going to talk about this new strategy shift for Xbox; it shouldn't just be her (if her at all, tho I understand to some extent since her new role at Microsoft Gaming). Phil Spencer, Matt Booty, Aaron Greenberg...they should be speaking, too. A lot of this stuff has occurred on their watch, after all.

Anyway...I have really gotta get back to my Lunar 2. Leave it to MS rumors to derail a game session 🤣

GHG

Gold Member
S SneakersSO is the OG for all of this btw and some people were laughing at him:
They are not gonna close studios nor do layoffs (yet). They are simply going to expand where they are publishing games on. I now know of several projects that are being developed and ported to PS/Switch 2. I was taken aback when I started hearing this talk - I didn't expect MS to entertain this strategy at least until they hit 2027, but with console sales this dire, they need to do something.

One of the parts folks aren't understanding is that growth in services (GP) is directly tied to console sales. Every month, there are a number of users who leave GP, called a churn rate. GP has the highest churn rates for entertainment subscription services. This means that the entire business model is predicated on Xbox selling consoles to users who ultimately sub to GP, more so than the number of users who leave their GP subs behind. This is why you've seen Phil and many observers comment that GP sub service has 'stalled' in the console space. All the growth, which is honestly not at all significant, is happening in the PC space.

Goes without saying, he has some legit sources.

DeepSpace5D

That’s cool for any PlayStation fans who might be interested in Starfield. It’s not a game that I will support with a purchase after seeing stuff like those creepy ass npc eyes, bland mission structure, constant little loading screens, lack of exploration, braindead npcs and enemies, etc.

The game would’ve probably sold a lot more if it had launched on PlayStation when there was still mystery and intrigue behind it, mostly because not that much of it had been shown off yet. Now I bet it only sells a fraction of that original 10 million estimate that Microsoft predicted it would’ve sold on PlayStation. It just looks extremely mediocre.

Saber

Senjutsu lost it. It's time for acceptance...let it go..lol

That Dark fella probably ain't doing right now eihter.
But I don't think you can lost something that you never had.

Goes without saying, he has some legit sources.

I remember studying about churn rates on my business courses and most of companies do what I believe is some cancerous strategies to make subscribers not leaving, like giving penalties.

Last edited:

Ansphn

I think it will sell just fine like any TES or Fallout game, might even outsell the Xbox version eventually due to userbase. But it probably won't stand out from a quality standpoint. Especially if they don't fix its most glaring issues.
It would've sold better if it was Day 1 on PlayStation. Now everyone in the gaming community knows about the loading screens and the quality of the game. It will sell worst than Fallout 76. If they want to bring people in from PlayStation, they have to improve the flaws and remove all those loading screens. PlayStation user are used to instant or no loading from Spiderman and other games. Nintendo fans probably wont care.

Last edited:
Top Bottom