• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Extensive new details on Zelda Breath of the Wild from Game Informer (Maybe spoilers)

lt519

Excited for all the changes, Skyward Sword was stale to me. I think it'll still be the Zelda everyone knows and loves, just a different approach.

People flipped initially about renting items in ALBW and it turned out amazing.

Wind blight would imply this is the giant bird. Also the article says your guide is a male voice, so maybe the Rito guy?

But Duckroll just compared the screens he saw to the camel dungeon from the trailer. And I think we can all agree that the design of these gear rooms we saw in the trailer fits the camel way more than the bird (square form body, long corridor as legs impossible to be the bird).

So it could be that the dungeons are indeed very, very similar to each other :/

Astral Dog

Awesome, another 5 years of my life I'd be waiting just to see if it meets my expectations this time.
This game is going to have lots and lots of dungeons.

And if you only and only care about the dungeon size,then maybe its time to revise your strange expectations instead of waiting five years to see if they met them ;)

tauroxd

Claiming BotW will suck is a bit...premature.

As premature as saying it will be glorious and the second coming... I get what you are saying and I am dying to play it and will do it on day one, but either train of though is not a good thing when we have not experience the game in its entirety.

Trevelyan

Banned
But Duckroll just compared the screens he saw to the camel dungeon from the trailer. And I think we can all agree that the design of that fits the camel way more than the bird.

I would make sense to be able to manipulate the orientation of a bird, opposed to a camel. I'm fairly sure this is the bird, and considering all the dungeons appear to be the living mechs, it's probably safe to say they're all similar aesthetically as well.

Charamiwa

Banned
But Duckroll just compared the screens he saw to the camel dungeon from the trailer. And I think we can all agree that the design of that we saw in the trailer fits the camel way more than the bird (square form body, long corridor as legs impossible to be the bird).

Are we sure the trailer shows the Camel dungeon? Might just be an editing trick.

Or they just all look the same.

Realeza

Banned
As premature as saying it will be glorious and the second coming... I get what you are saying and Iam dying to play it and will do it on day it, but either train of though is not a good thing when we have noe experience the game in its entirety.

Based on track history, the second is far more likely.

I would make sense to be able to manipulate the orientation of a bird, opposed to a camel. I'm fairly sure this is the bird, and considering all the dungeons appear to be the living mechs, it's probably safe to say they're all similar aesthetically as well.

Are we sure the trailer shows the Camel dungeon? Might just be an editing trick.

Or they just all look the same.

I know, I know. Seems like my biggest fear for the game is getting confirmed.

My last hope was that the asthetics of the mechs are fitted to the enviroment they live in, for example the bird would be more blue-ish, the camel sand-ish, the elephant full with water and the death mountain creature full of fire. But it looks like they share, just like the shrines, the same aesthetics which is quite frankly, disappointing.

But oh well. I would really like to see these GI screenshots. Any chance of that to be released soon?

Doesn't seem like it. Use your weapons wisely.

They didn't show or explain the crafting system so far. I am pretty sure there will be a way to repair or recreate your weapons. Otherwise it wouldn't make sense to hide some great, secret, powerful weapons if you can't use them after they got destroyed. If there aren't any invincible weapons in the game I am pretty sure you can repair or recreate them. Just take the Master Sword as example, if you can destroy it, there needs to be a way to fix it ;)

Everything else sounds great, I am really excited to play it in a month :)

Caelus

My last hope was that the asthetics of the mechs are fitted to the enviroment they live in, for example the bird would be more blue-ish, the camel sand-ish, the elephant full with water and the death mountain creature full of fire. But it looks like they share, just like the shrines, the same aesthetics which is quite frankly,

Different areas of the dungeons can have different appearances, we know the Death Mountain mech was on fire in the trailer and might have its insides on fire. It's not like the external size of the mechs has any bearing on the depth of its interiors, if you remember how big Jabu-Jabu's dungeon was.

As for weapons, it's entirely possible that some materials are invulnerable to certain attacks but start to break with other kinds, like a shield that loses durability when hit with magic.

KooopaKid

Banned
Still worried about the size and emptyness of the world. So very un-Nintendo-like to do. Let's hope they know what they are doing, like most of the time.

As premature as saying it will be glorious and the second coming... I get what you are saying and I am dying to play it and will do it on day one, but either train of though is not a good thing when we have not experience the game in its entirety.

Not really considering everything we've seen and heard has been extremely positive, including hands on impressions

Pinky

Banned
Oh the bitter tears when everyone's favorite horse get killed...

_WCIXV2rT4bysv2B8IgJr55-DyA.GIF

dtm808

Because I want challenge in my Zelda game. I want to get lost and think about which way I should go and in which door I should put my key on. That's the essence of the Zelda dungeons.

The essence of Zelda dungeons is figuring out the puzzles in-order to continue through, not getting confused as to where to go. They are shifting the entire focus of dungeons now on that aspect of solving a large puzzle rather than navigating doors. Its a more fun change imho.

AGoodODST

I still doubt the Master Sword will be breakable. They are probably just saying that to avoid any spoilers or whatever.

I wonder if you can eat horses. Sizzled Epona steak.

Maybe horses will attack your in swarms like Cucco's if you try to kill them.

Thanks for making me laugh on the train.

Nickle

Cool Facts: Game of War has been a hit since July 2013

Reopening and bumping this thread because I think the OP is much more informative. Plus the other thread is scary and filled with weirdos talking about pregnant Zelda.

Things I find very interesting in the article:

- Dungeons are confirmed and they are NOT shrines, and furthermore they "move" in the world and getting to the dungeon is as much a challenge as the dungeon itself. Hence dungeons are smaller than those from TP onwards. This lines up perfectly with my expectation that they are making the areas that lead towards dungeons in the world "dungeon-ish" as well. Very cool.

- Again Aonuma confirms you can beat the game without seeing most of the story and can actively ignore events, and suggests that doing so will even change some outcomes. He also talks about his "secret 20 year idea" again and it seems related to the storyline presentation. Maybe related to how it ties into multiple endings?

- You can face the final boss from the start, and you can beat the final boss without completing everything. This... is very interesting to me.

I love the idea of this. I loved the fact it was hard to find the dungeons in ALBW

Pinky

Banned

I wonder if you can catch horses on fire with the fire rod and watch them run across the fields leaving a wake of destructive flames behind them.

I kid, of course. ;)

Peltz

It will be the second coming. BOOM! Not going to stray from that thought

Alienous

Is it the case that all of the Dungeons move? It sort of makes sense for the 'Wind' Dungeon, which people observed flying around the map, but I don't think any other roaming structures were spotted in BotW analysis. But, then again, that could be because a flying Dungeon would be the easiest to see. compared to potentially underwater Dungeons, for example.

iFirez

This video (spoilers) dives into these details and makes some interesting discoveries towards the end: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QSEkJlStwkg SPOILERS OFCOURSE.

If you want to jump to the good stuff, go to 09:27 talking about similarities between previous versions of Ganon and also how we've seen some of the dungeons in trailers already.

Vidiot

Honestly kinda worried about the dungeons. I liked the way they were. :/ They were hands down my favorite thing about Zelda games so I hope they aren't as big a departure from the norm as I fear they are. If the dungeons are crap it'll honestly sour the whole game for me personally.

Okay, just got to saw the dungeon screenshots from GI.

And yes, its the bird. And yes, it does look very similar to the camel dungeon we have seen in the latest trailer, the textures are very similar, the bird dungeon is just brighter because, well, sunlight shines in.

Of course its not a 100% confirmation, but the shape of the bird/camel dungeon interiors blend in perfectly with their exteriors

So we're just gonna ignore all the things duckroll said about what they showed huh?

Of course not, but the dungeons are indeed built very similar aesthetically (that was my biggest fear). You can check it up for yourself and compare the interior dungeon scenes from the trailer to the new GI screenshots. You can easily see which is the bird and which one the camel.

It's truly bizarre this is the same company releasing 1 2 switch at launch.

The design of this game just seems so UNintendo. But in a good, surprising way.

I had no idea dungeons were so critical in the Zelda series. I always loved the stories and characters a lot more.

Maybe that's why Majora's Mask is my GOAT Zelda.

Rodin

Still worried about the size and emptyness of the world. So very un-Nintendo-like to do. Let's hope they know what they are doing, like most of the time.

– For Breath of the Wild, the team first had to figure out what needed to be placed on the map
– Groups were created out of the over 300 devs to work on specific sections of the world
This is in the first post. Most of the gameplay videos you've seen are from the Plateau, which doesn't have NPCs because it's sacred ground where people aren't allowed (except for the old man), but there are still enemy camps, animals, enemies that interact with them (like the bokoblin that hunt boars when they're injured and eat their meat to regain hp), sleeping guardians, field bosses, enemies that only appear at a certain tod, shrines and other stuff. It's also weird to complain about "emptiness" when traversing is still made interesting by the various possibilities you have to get from A to B, to the point that it can become a true environmental puzzle, or by how many gameplay mechanics coexist in this game.

In the small chunk of the Hyrule Field we've seen there was a stable with an NPC, NPCs fighting enemies, wild horses to tame, in the first post there are info about how the characters behave in certain situations (for example they're outside when the wheather is good but they run inside when it starts raining), and of course you have more enemies, more field bosses, more shrines, dungeons, towers, towns, subquests, koroks, suspicious stuff in the distance that makes you want to explore to find out what they are... what do you want in a game to think it's not empty? This?

because of course it won't be like that, but that wasn't particularly fun either. It got really repetitive at a certain point.

Like Aonuma said, it's ok if there are "pockets of emptiness". It's ok to get lost sometimes. Expecting every square foot of the world to be crammed with stuff is not only unrealistic, but it would also be shit. From what we've seen and read, the overworld is shaping up to be one of the most interesting to explore, to play and to get lost in.

They didn't show or explain the crafting system so far. I am pretty sure there will be a way to repair or recreate your weapons. Otherwise it wouldn't make sense to hide some great, secret, powerful weapons if you can't use them after they got destroyed. If there aren't any invincible weapons in the game I am pretty sure you can repair or recreate them. Just take the Master Sword as example, if you can destroy it, there needs to be a way to fix it ;)

Everything else sounds great, I am really excited to play it in a month :)

Yeah I'm taking the "no invincible weapons" part with a grain of salt. Maybe the Master Sword and other "legendary" weapons you can get aren't invincible, but they'll probably have increased durability and will not disappear on break. I don't think they'd show those unique weapons in the character art so prominently if they were just throw away weapons that can break forever.

I had no idea dungeons were so critical in the Zelda series. I always loved the stories and characters a lot more.

Maybe that's why Majora's Mask is my GOAT Zelda.

This is me but OOT introduced me to Zelda so I understand what I view Zelda as may be warped. I prefer the overworld to the underworld. MM was my second Zelda and MM has a fantastic overworld. No Zelda game has ever matched up to it for me.

I love how Miyamoto said the NPCs all have daily routines and lives. I can't wait for BOTW

Top Bottom