• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Extremist Militia Occupies Federal Building In Oregon

Status
Not open for further replies.

besada

Banned
What's funny is anytime one of these idiots leave they could just follow them and arrest them one by one. But they refuse to do anything.

This should have been the lesson taken away from Ruby Ridge and Waco -- arrest them alone, not when they're congregated in a heavily armed fortification -- but instead we took away that it's okay to let people raise arms to the government and ignore the rule of law.

Koresh could have been taken in downtown Waco. Weaver could have been taken away from his cabin. The Feds were watching him literally for months.

But if you do nothing, as we did at the Bundy Ranch standoff, you're just buying yourself another standoff somewhere down the road. If they'd put these shit heads in jail last time -- folks who sighted down with sniper rifles on federal agents -- there wouldn't be anyone to man this little paranoid meltdown.

Instead, we've got 150 people out of work, nutjobs rifling through federal computers, the siren call for any crazy fucker with a vendetta against the government, and folks coming and going as if there would never be a consequence for their actions.

I don't want a big shootout -- federal troops would likely be injured, and those guys are just doing their jobs -- but I also don't want my government allowing the seizure of publicly owned lands by private concerns at gunpoint. That's a truly shitty precedent to keep setting.

Edit: Just as I finished typing, I ran across this:
https://twitter.com/JohnLGC/status/688122428875239424
eZ3PIea.jpg

Federal vehicles from Malheur being impounded at Safeway. That's something, I guess.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
Oh so they actually arrested someone? I thought they just took back their vehicle while the dude was at the store, but left him free to walk home.

Baby steps, I guess.

Kenneth Medenbach, 62, was arrested Friday when he drove a federal vehicle to Safeway grocery store, on felony charges of unauthorized use of a vehicle. He’s being held on $10,000 bail. Medenbach was already facing federal charges of illegally camping on federal land. He was released on the condition he does not “occupy” federal land again.
lol

FelixOrion

Poet Centuriate
"Just don't go back there."

"...but you guys aren't doing shit there? How will you stop me from going back."

"We won't and can't. Just don't go back, ok?"

Brilliant work, FBI.

GhostBed

They really just let the dude go.......All of these guys are gonna get off without a scratch, aren't they? Maybe a fee or something, but I can't see them getting more than a slap on the wrist at this point.

Madness, everywhere.

Piggus

If that county is anything like the county I live in, it's very unlikely you'll spend much (if any) time in jail for a non-violent crime like that. There are people around here who have 40+ arrests for stuff like trespassing, harassment, drugs, theft, etc. It's stupid, but the jails can't accommodate them. They generally end up on probation for a while instead.

They really just let the dude go.......All of these guys are gonna get off without a scratch, aren't they? Maybe a fee or something, but I can't see them getting more than a slap on the wrist at this point.

Madness, everywhere.

They MIGHT get fined, but if so they won't pay, just like Cliven Bundy.

A friend of mine suggested that "Maybe there's something to what they're saying and doing, seeing as how they aren't being prosecuted."

So that's great. Fucking lovely. If this is what rational people are thinking, imagine what the crazies will think.

Kettch

As far as I can tell, they're still charging him, just not holding him.

If convicted on current charges, Medenbach could face five years in prison.

As long as breaking the condition means even further charges, then I'm fine with that. If he wants to go back and risk even more prison time, then he's the only loser here.

Slayven

So they tooling around in federal vehicles, and they just get to go home?

They better not complain about the welfare state.

Piggus

So they tooling around in federal vehicles, and they just get to go home?

They better not complain about the welfare state.

He was still charged and will have to go to court for some kind of trial or sentencing. I cannot imagine the local DA in this case would let him off with a warning.

PopeReal

If that county is anything like the county I live in, it's very unlikely you'll spend much (if any) time in jail for a non-violent crime like that. There are people around here who have 40+ arrests for stuff like trespassing, harassment, drugs, theft, etc. It's stupid, but the jails can't accommodate them.

I imagine Burns does have a small jail. The one in La Grande only holds like 40 and it is a county jail. People can serve time in the county jail so it is usually full or almost full.

That being said I have feeling they let this guy go for other reasons not related to a full jail. Just my thoughts at this point.

Retro

Kenneth Medenbach, 62, was arrested Friday when he drove a federal vehicle to Safeway grocery store, on felony charges of unauthorized use of a vehicle. He’s being held on $10,000 bail. Medenbach was already facing federal charges of illegally camping on federal land. He was released on the condition he does not “occupy” federal land again.

If he were any other color than white, he'd have 'fallen' or 'slipped' or 'killed himself'. Instead, he's probably right back there telling his buddies how the gubmint is too scared to hold him any later than dinner.

This is going to happen somewhere else in another federal office, and not one out in the middle of nowhere where people are going to get hurt.

Really gotta stop coming in this thread

It's not good for my blood pressure

Yeah, I'm unsubscribing, reading the daily adventures of these 'protesters' as they enjoy their little vacation is bugging me. The bit about them possibly looting artifacts is just absurd.

gabbo

I imagine Burns does have a small jail. The one in La Grande only holds like 40 and it is a county jail. People can serve time in the county jail so it is usually full or almost full.

That being said I have feeling they let this guy go for other reasons not related to a full jail. Just my thoughts at this point.

Shouldn't they be going to a federal jail?

Shouldn't they be going to a federal jail?

There aren't really federal "jails" per se. You can get sentenced to a federal penitentiary, but while you are awaiting trial or after you are arrested on federal charges you get sent to a regional or county jail run by the state. The feds pay the state to house those prisoners.

Piggus

I like how people automatically make the assumption that if he weren't white he'd be held in jail. Do you guys even know how county jails here work? Unless you're a serious threat to yourself or others, you won't be held in jail to await trial. It doesn't matter what color you are. Go look on Medford Mugshots if you want to see a large amount of people of all races being frequently arrested and then released. The jails here are overcrowded. It's really that simple.

I like how people automatically make the assumption that if he weren't white he'd be held in jail. Do you guys even know how county jails here work? Unless you're a serious threat to yourself or others, you won't be held in jail to await trial. It doesn't matter what color you are. Go look on Medford Mugshots if you want to see a large amount of people of all races being frequently arrested and then released. The jails here are overcrowded. It's really that simple.

So you think a person of color breaking the law so brazenly wouldn't be treated any different? My friends who are Jamaican can't even walk into a convenience store with me and buy some candy as normally as I could.

PopeReal

This isn't a typical situation Piggus. They aren't touching these guys right now.

Piggus

So you think a person of color breaking the law so brazenly wouldn't be treated any different? My friends who are Jamaican can't even walk into a convenience store with me and buy some candy as normally as I could.

They would be released just like anyone else because like I said, the jails can only afford to hold those who present an immediate danger. How that person is treated in their actual trial might depend on the area and the jury, of course. I'm not trying to diminish the very real problem of people of color being treated differently by law enforcement. But the idea that he was let out because he was white is total bullshit if you know anything about the jails here.

This isn't a typical situation Piggus. They aren't touching these guys right now.

I'm talking specifically about the guy being arrested and charged, then being released.

They would be released just like anyone else because like I said, the jails can only afford to hold those who present an immediate danger. How that person is treated in their actual trial might depend on the area and the jury, of course. I'm not trying to diminish the very real problem of people of color being treated differently by law enforcement. But the idea that he was let out because he was white is total bullshit if you know anything about the jails here.

I'm talking specifically about the guy being arrested and charged, then being released.

Could very well be because of the jails, but since we're talking about how people are treated based on ignorance, I don't think the jail situation is really even considered when someone is motivated to profile another person.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
As far as I can tell, they're still charging him, just not holding him.

As long as breaking the condition means even further charges, then I'm fine with that. If he wants to go back and risk even more prison time, then he's the only loser here.

Wait, are those charges for what he already DID or are they the charges the feds will file if he goes back to the militia?

PopeReal

The jails in eastern Oregon are small. Like I said the one in La Grande (Union County) holds around 40 I believe. Burns (Harney County) is 200 some miles south of here and is much smaller. Union County has about 25,000 people while Harney County around 7 thousand. I imagine the county jail there is even smaller.

What Piggus is saying in general is true. People in eastern Oregon don't get booked and released "because they are white". After all, almost everyone is white here so the jail would be pretty empty. Here in Union County if it is full they book and release people or they let someone else out. It is simply a space thing.

Now I don't know this guys record deserves for him to be held. However in this case they know what he is up to and in my opinion they should not have let this guy go. To say they are treating these idiots with kids gloves would be to put it lightly.

And I definitely think the response to this group would be different if they weren't white. I honestly do. Yes, they are being careful because of Waco and Ruby Ridge but I still feel that way.

And I definitely think the response to this group would be different if they weren't white. I honestly do. Yes, they are being careful because of Waco and Ruby Ridge but I still feel that way.

You know I've seen this thought brought up multiple times through out the thread, but I honestly don't remember a similar situation involving minoroties where the reaction was drastically different than what is currently happening.

PopeReal

You know I've seen this thought brought up multiple times through out the thread, but I honestly don't remember a similar situation involving minoroties where the reaction was drastically different than what is currently happening.

Again having been born and mostly raised in eastern Oregon if these guys came into one of our towns and were not white and did this I feel the reaction and response would be completely different.

The sheriff would not be all buddy buddy with them. They wouldn't go to the store as they please. Just my opinion but I really think I am right.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom