• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fable: Xbox Game Studios chief says people need to realise games now take 4-6 years to make

Fake

Stop announcing shit so early then maybe šŸ¤·ā€ā™‚ļø

Elder Scroll VI:
starship-troopers-stare.gif

ArĀ¢tos

Took them 5 years to make Elden Ring. You really think game development can only start when itā€™s revealed? šŸ˜‚

Yes, announcing them later changes the development time /s

Good thing he said four, five and six years for most devs as standard, eh?

Also, games are different in scope, and some games demand more background work and resources. Sucker Punch made Ghost of Tsushima in 6 years, for example. They had great leadership and a solid team, but talked about taking time to fine tune the combat etc.

Insomniac is taking at least 4 years to make Wolverine. Capcom just postponed Pragmata indefinitely. Dragons Dogma 2 has been in development since at least 2020, and is widely expected to release in 2025. Itā€™s a massive open world game thatā€™s claimed to be 4x the size of the original. Something youā€™re claiming is ā€˜mismanagementā€™.

This just feels like low effort, low knowledge warring for no reason.
Sekiro released in 2019, Elden Ring in 2022.
That's 3 years, not 5.
A full large scope RPG in 3 years,
While in 5 years, all we got is a CGI trailer and now an "in-game" cutscene for Fable.

Three

Then youā€™ll just get them crying ā€œbuh-buh how do we recruit!?ā€ Not my problem. This is a game trailer not a LinkedIn ad
Nah recruitment isn't the issue either. You can even announce and say a rough year for release but using some CGI trailer before it's even in pre-production and using it in showcases over and over while not making it clear this is a possible 4-6yrs out, that's intentional and kind of just PR all of them are guilty of. Trying to say it's people who need to realise is bullshit. They're the one's intentionally making people guess and not know approximately how far out things are.

Last edited:

ungalo

Sekiro released in 2019, Elden Ring in 2022.
That's 3 years, not 5.
A full large scope RPG in 3 years,
While in 5 years, all we got is a CGI trailer and now an "in-game" cutscene for Fable.
From Software has several teams. Imagine Fable would release in 2024 (it won't but anyway), we could say it was only 3 years after Forza Horizon 5, same shit.

They had to build a team from scratch to start working on 2 very different franchises.

That being said, i don't think any game whatever it is takes 5 years minimum. That would be absurd to say that. To need 5 years to get Avowed is a pain in the ass. Obsidian has experience in this kind of game already, they take forever to show something that looks so outdated and generic.

I think we have to judge studio by studio, the waiting can be justified, or not.

ArĀ¢tos

From Software has several teams. Imagine Fable would release in 2024 (it won't but anyway), we could say it was only 3 years after Forza Horizon 5, same shit.

They had to build a team from scratch to start working on 2 very different franchises.

That being said, i don't think any game whatever it is takes 5 years minimum. That would be absurd to say that. To need 5 years to get Avowed is a pain in the ass. Obsidian has experience in this kind of game already, they take forever to show something that looks so outdated and generic.

I think we have to judge studio by studio, the waiting can be justified, or not.
They have 2 teams, but even if Deracine (2018) team is the one that made ER, that's 4 years, and Sekiro (2019) team releasing AC in 2023 is also 4 years.

In that case, stop announcing games 5 years in advance and stop trying to create 200 hour, ā€œepicā€ games with thousands of pointless side quests. Not everyone will like it, but I think shorter, smaller games can definitely help rectify the long development times and issues that modern games have.

Last edited:

Luigi Mario

Rockstar lost several Key people integral to the GTA franchise and also got complacent with GTA Online raking in the money. This was probably a case of both development hell and flat out greed and complacency as GTA Online alone was brining in like 500 million dollars a year. This is solely a Rockstar/Take2 thing as most publishers can't rest on their laurels while making more money than everyone else year after year.
They even quietly cancelled their singleplayer DLC, which was last mentioned in 2014, in favor of supporting their live service for nearly a decade.

Last edited:

Markio128

I donā€™t have any problem with games taking 6 years to make. But, why announce them so early if thatā€™s going to be the case?

Naughty Dog got screwed by the higher ups pushing to make their game more of a GAAS which conflicts with their typical style of multiplayer. They were most likely experiencing development hell.

Rockstar lost several Key people integral to the GTA franchise and also got complacent with GTA Online raking in the money. This was probably a case of both development hell and flat out greed and complacency as GTA Online alone was brining in like 500 million dollars a year. This is solely a Rockstar/Take2 thing as most publishers can't rest on their laurels while making more money than everyone else year after year.
Ohhhh I see it was differentā€¦ā€¦.
What the fuck are doing glassman, trying to shatter oneself?

ungalo

I donā€™t have any problem with games taking 6 years to make. But, why announce them so early if thatā€™s going to be the case?
The only alternative is to show nothing for 3 or 4 years.

So the problem is not that it's announced early, it's that Microsoft didn't have any backup plan. If they'd launched interesting games at a steady pace, nobody would care that Everwild is nowhere to be seen.

You console is out it's been 3 years, you don't show up after a pretty show and pretend to explain to people how development works. When you're so far behind your competitors that keep releasing big games. Matt Booty's a clown.

Last edited:

Gaiff

SBIā€™s Resident Gaslighter
Yes, announcing them later changes the development time /s
Shit take. Matt Booty is basically doing damage control for fans being impatient. If you announce games 4-5 years in advance, yeah, fans will be rightfully pissed and grow restless. Xbox announced a bunch of games back in 2020 that won't see the light of day until 2024. People ask "Where the fuck are those games?" because it's been a long wait. Announce them 1 year ahead and you won't see this problem.

skneogaf

I don't see how this is sustainable especially as most won't buy it as they'll play it on game pass.

Hopefully artificial intelligence can aid in reducing development time, the unreal engine forest making software is surely going to help with open world games.

360 era was insane too.
3 Mass Effect
3 Gears of War (4 with Judgement)
3 Uncharted
2 The Elder Scrolls
2 Fallout
3 Final Fantasy (13, 13-2, Lightning)
Etc

Its because expectations were lower during that era, it wasn't an issue to reuse assets and not have a big graphic jump with each title.

Today, no matter how good a game or its gameplay is people will bash the game over it not having 4K,.60 FPS or not looking next gen enough.

Banjo64

cumsessed
Theyā€™ve been recruiting for this project since 2017.

So yeah, not 6 years of development time. But 6 years total is still a long time.

Considering there was no 2024 on the title card itā€™s fair to say this might release in 2025 - 8 years after the project started.

Ozriel

M$FT

In Schreier's deep dive into the calamities that befell Arkane and Redfall, it was mentioned that not revealing the game severely hampered recruitment.

Doing a reveal + clear indication of scope can help pull in talent.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
They do, but with proper management and good planning a studio can release games every 2-3 years, by having more than one game in different stages of development.
Like From and Insomniac. Proper management overlap with your teams running like well oiled machines.

SHA

Bioshock case is different and pretty common more than the 4 to 6 years in the making, 4 to 6 sounds more of a double a than triple or quadruple a titles.

Ozriel

M$FT
They do, but with proper management and good planning a studio can release games every 2-3 years, by having more than one game in different stages of development.

Yes. And Playground released Forza Horizon 5 in 2021, while working on Fable, and will be working on Forza Horizon 6 in parallel with Fable.

Same way Obsidian released Pentiment and Grounded while working on Avowed and The Outer Worlds 2.

Being able to work multiple games in parallel is also a function of team size.

Not exactly rocket science.

Batiman

Banned
Why canā€™t they announce when they want to? Because gamers start crying for release dates? Devs can announce the game the day of or 10 years early. I donā€™t give a fuck. If they donā€™t announce anything people cry and demand to know what theyā€™re working on anyways. Or just rely on leaks

Last edited:

Ozriel

M$FT
They have 2 teams, but even if Deracine (2018) team is the one that made ER, that's 4 years, and Sekiro (2019) team releasing AC in 2023 is also 4 years.

I've provided direct, factual evidence that shows they started off work on Elden Ring in 2017, making it 5 years to release... And you're still trying to find a way to claim 4 years.

Game reveals are often a marketing and recruitment tool. Announcing games later doesn't change development time... And can hamper recruitment.

No point in losing the race for key talent just to avoid angry comments on video game forums.

cash_longfellow

Gold Member
Why canā€™t they announce when they want to? Because gamers start crying for release dates? Devs can announce the game the day of or 10 years early. I donā€™t give a fuck. If they donā€™t announce anything people cry and demand to know what theyā€™re working on anyways. Or just rely on leaks
Well if they are going to be salty about people asking about timelines, they shouldnā€™t announce the shit so early. Itā€™s as simple as that. The gamer is the consumer, they have a right to ask for info. I personally donā€™t care, I know the dev cycle is long, but when companies start calling their customers out, thatā€™s a problem.

cash_longfellow

Gold Member
I've provided direct, factual evidence that shows they started off work on Elden Ring in 2017, making it 5 years to release... And you're still trying to find a way to claim 4 years.

Game reveals are often a marketing and recruitment tool. Announcing games later doesn't change development time... And can hamper recruitment.

No point in losing the race for key talent just to avoid angry comments on video game forums.
I hear you, but devs and game companies need to just focus on what they are doing and not feed shit in random forums. Thatā€™s what us losers are here to do šŸ˜‚

Batiman

Banned
Well if they are going to be salty about people asking about timelines, they shouldnā€™t announce the shit so early. Itā€™s as simple as that. The gamer is the consumer, they have a right to ask for info. I personally donā€™t care, I know the dev cycle is long, but when companies start calling their customers out, thatā€™s a problem.
So youā€™re telling me they donā€™t get bugged on by gamers when they donā€™t announce anything? They still do.

And I donā€™t see how theyā€™re being ā€œsaltyā€.

Last edited:

cash_longfellow

Gold Member
So youā€™re telling me they donā€™t get bugged on by gamers when they donā€™t announce anything? They still do.

And I donā€™t see how theyā€™re being ā€œsaltyā€.
They need to leave that shit alone thoughā€¦itā€™s called professionalism, and there is a huge lack of it in the gaming realm right now. They are a business, not a friend or acquaintance.

Last edited:
Meanwhile Nintendo, Capcom, and FromSoft have figured out that instead of taking 5+ years to make a game with S-tier graphics you can get a B+/A- grade game out in 3 and print money. When will Western devs figure this out?

Your game doesn't need to approach Hollywood CGI to be successful and this hasn't ever been as obvious as it is right now. Elden Ring sold 20mil+ and that game essentially runs on a 15yr old engine.

nowhat

Can we take this time to applaud Obsidian for Fallout New Vegas, which was goddamn amazing and made in only 18 months.
No, we should applaud Bethesda. Yes, Obsidian made New Vegas in only 18 months. But there was a bonus for the game receiving a certain Metacritic score. It missed that by a like a point or two.

So, Bethesda didn't need to give out any bonuses. Which, while being dick move and nearly bankrupting Obsidian in the process, didn't cost Bethesda a dime extra. All hail Todd Howard!

At least in 5 years they managed to produce, test, optimize and release a massive full game for 3 platforms, instead of a CGI trailer and a cutscene for 2 platforms. .
If you put Playground Games to develop a Forza Horizon like game, they'll problably take 2-4 years.

If you start forming a new team under, let's say Naughty Dog to develop an open world racing game, or a WRPG, they'll take longer than that.

I know it's not easy to understand for everyone but i hope you get what i mean

kuncol02

Banned
Yes, and that's why you didn't announce them when you didn't even finish assembling development team.
You need to announce game to even be able to assemble team, that's why Fable, Cyberpunk, Indiana Jones and many other games were announced that early.

Newsflash..actual new shit takes time.
Think about some of the new IP's introduced last gen:

Quantum Break took 5 years.
Ghost of Tsushima took 6 years.
Horizon Zero Dawn took 6/7 years.
Days Gone took 6 years.
Inside took 6 years.
Detroit Become Human took 5 years.
Ori and the Blind Forest took 4/5 years.
The Order 1886 took 5 years.
Cuphead took 7 years.
What Remains of Edith Finch took 5 years...

You can go on and on. Just look this stuff up.

Fast forward to the new IP's now:
Returnal took almost 5 years.
HiFi Rush took almost 6 years.
COCOON...Jeppe Carlsens, as of this time last year, said they were 5+ years into development..which would put it at 6 years when it releases this year.
When Avowed releases next year it would be a 5/6 year cycle..etc, etc etc....

Stop all the crying and bitching..this ain't nothing new.

And that foundation was released 2 years after R&C 2016 which was released 2 years after Sunset Overdrive. IMO it's more about good management and team focusing on what they're best in. We know they're struggling with Fable, it's not just a normal dev cycle.
What's this console warring nonsense? We know they're struggling with Fable? Do we? Go look at the in-game trailer which is graphically more impressive than anything Insomniac has none.

dotnotbot

What's this console warring nonsense? We know they're struggling with Fable? Do we? Go look at the in-game trailer which is graphically more impressive than anything Insomniac has none.
Yea there are credible reports development is going very rough

Last edited:

RAIDEN1

What's he talking about, games now need a few years to come out, this has been part of the industry for sometime....look at the gap between Metal Gear Solid 4 and Part 5 ....it was already happening....the fact that Part 5 was a BIG let-down immersion wise is another matter...Another example ....Streets of Rage 3 to 4.....look how long that took...

Top Bottom