• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[FAKE] PS5 Dualshock 5 full controller leak

Golgo 13

The Man With The Golden Dong
There’s no way this is true or real. Putting a screen on a controller isn’t practical for cost/benefit analysis whatsoever, and as it’s been stated this would be way too small to be a useable screen, too expensive to replace, too many battery concerns, the list goes on.

I would be shocked if the DualShock 5 was much different than the 4, maybe with better build quality and the new rumble they’ve talked about.

CJY

Banned
To show how much of a fucking tool that youtuber is.

Here is another youtuber explaining how to run diablo 2 on a pi4 in 10 min

ETA Prime is a G, but not sure how this video shows how much of a tool that other guy is.

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
ETA Prime is a G, but not sure how this video shows how much of a tool that other guy is.
other dude takes 15 min to talk about 1 picture ETA needs 10 to explain how to run d2 in linux

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
giphy.gif

xrnzaaas

This would be a dumb idea even if it was true. I play in a dark room, wouldn't want the screen to shine on my face.

navii

My fantasy is that my girlfriend was actually a young high school girl.
I also hate artist's impressions / renders. I know people are excited, but if its not official, you are adding noise.

Banned
let's forget the god awful video and just think about a touchscreen on a controller and how it could work.

my design idea would be a backlit E-Paper/E-Ink screen that has the sole purpose of giving developers the option to add additional buttons.

for example, let's take a game like Apex Legends, which has 5 healing items that you access by holding D-Pad Up and then choosing them in a wheel menu... On PC you can just map those to, let's say the number keys and quickly access them without going through a separate menu.
and this is how I imagine Apex using an E-Ink display on a possible next gen controller.

gt14gtD.png

I threw this together in 5min, it's just so it's easy to see what I mean.

an E-Ink display dose use almost no power, a dim backlight wouldn't be much on the battery either, and during the day you could give an option to turn that off completely.
something like this would give the devs way more freedom in tailoring a control-scheme and make ring/wheel menus less of a burden on console versions of games.

Kdad

let's forget the god awful video and just think about a touchscreen on a controller and how it could work.

my design idea would be a backlit E-Paper/E-Ink screen that has the sole purpose of giving developers the option to add additional buttons.

for example, let's take a game like Apex Legends, which has 5 healing items that you access by holding D-Pad Up and then choosing them in a wheel menu... On PC you can just map those to, let's say the number keys and quickly access them without going through a separate menu.
and this is how I imagine Apex using an E-Ink display on a possible next gen controller.

gt14gtD.png

an E-Ink display dose use almost no power, a dim backlight wouldn't be much on the battery either, and during the day you could give an option to turn that off completely.
something like this would give the devs way more freedom in tailoring a control-scheme and make ring/wheel menus less of a burden on console versions of games.
Anything 'optional' never gets used for more than a brief period by developers and then is abandoned...always. If its going to be a screen it'll be for the OS and not for the games.

Banned
Anything 'optional' never gets used for more than a brief period by developers and then is abandoned...always. If its going to be a screen it'll be for the OS and not for the games.

I disagree, especially if it is mainly meant to be used as additional buttons. this doesn't take much developing effort at all and seeing how cluttered control-schemes are today with the need to hold down buttons to open circle menus for basically everything, something like this could be not only useful for developers, but also make the experience better for players.

the touchpad of the PS4 controller already basically is used like that, only with the drawback of not knowing which part of the touchpad is actually used as a button. you have games that use it as 2 buttons, some as 1, some use swipe gestures to imitate buttons...
all of this is very unintuetive since you can't actually see what is used as a button and what is not.

a low resolution e-Ink display could solve this and expand on the idea. now you could have 6 or so buttons and make it very clear where they are and how they function.

CJY

Banned
other dude takes 15 min to talk about 1 picture ETA needs 10 to explain how to run d2 in linux
ah, I get what you mean now. True. I watch most of YouTube at 2X speed and I still consider "zoneofTech" long-winded.

bilderberg

The screen makes perfect sense. The controller's going to have built in wi-fi and support sony's on demand streaming services. You'll be able to turn the screen off when playing at home to save on battery life.

JORMBO

Darkness no more

gt14gtD.png

That sounds like a neat idea.

Heimdall_Xtreme

Jim Ryan Fanclub's #1 Member
Colors gone (thumbnail)... All that's left is black and white, no green+red+blue+pink anymore.
This woke stick looks cheap too except that's arrow design.

For whatsapp and videocall.

Nahh, better my cellphone.

i hate to take care more the devices, and put a screen protector

Bryank75

Banned
Incidentally, these crap YouTubers trying to push crap mobile games like they had "basically console-quality graphics" are hilariously ridiculous.

Over 1 minute ad full of false praise for shovelware he likely didn't touch for a single minute.
Yup, this guy in the video is usually shilling for Stadia... he is a mobile phone kid.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Yup, this guy in the video is usually shilling for Stadia... he is a mobile phone kid.
Only time I heard about this guys was this shameful shilly YT vid where he brought up an 8 month old fake PS5 controller, where the guy who made it showed everyone on April Fools he photoshopped it.

Who knows what kind of stupid videos the YT guy does for clicks and shilling.

I'm sure it's not the first time he's dug up year old debunked rumours like it's recent news for click money.

Last edited:
An e-ink or monochrome LCD (ala Dreamcast's VMU) might work?

e-ink would have a slower refresh rate than LCD, so it would have to be for really simple things. Still, something like that could be a really cool addition.

Oh, another issue: you'd need some sort of lighting on it. Then again, Kindles last a long time.

Gavin Stevens

Formerly 'o'dium'
is it really too much to ask for a NORMAL controller?

i don't want a touch pad, speakers, or a torch.

Hey, the speaker was a great idea though, and isn't a costly thing to add. The "torch" was only added for VR, and was a mistake, mind you. Best of all with the PS4 pad you can stick headphones in and listen to the game audio, which was brilliant.

I really hope the next xbox controller has a speaker and at least a share button (it will, I'm sure).

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
is it really too much to ask for a NORMAL controller?

i don't want a touch pad, speakers, or a torch.
Nope.

In tech land, it's all about adding more.

Soon, your gamepad will be able to do Powerpoint slides, and sync it as an Outlook email to your garage door opener. So when you get home from work, you can read a few slides before pressing Open.

Last edited:

Mista

Banned
Patents for DualShock 5 went up today in Japan

EJqEzVRX0AEJTz6

EJqFYB8XsAA2t5K

- Smaller sticks
- Big triggers
- USB port
- No light bar

Smaller stick? Ffs...

Last edited:

Shifty

- Smaller sticks
- Big triggers
- USB port
- No light bar

Smaller stick? Ffs...
Even smaller? The DS4 was already pushing it a bit :messenger_neutral:
Nothing some aftermarket caps can't fix, but still.

The body itself gives me a bit of a Switch Pro controller vibe, now they've gone with a unibody design. That's probably going to fit in the hand much nicer, so props to that.

Looks solid enough, though the lack of innovation is a fumble imo. Controllers have been stuck in the local minima of this two-sticks-twelve-buttons-and-a-d-pad pattern for ages now, while other input methods like trackpad aiming (which is neither feasible nor comfortable with the central trackpad) go underserved.

And smh no paddles.

Last edited:
Top Bottom