• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fallout 4 |OT2| Farming Simulator 2287

Ok so now I guess it's really time to take a longer break from this game. I think I played more than enough. Played over 220hrs. Got two characters on lvl 77 and 75. Maybe I'll play Nuka World but than really a break for at least a year.
But I'm already looking foreward to play again on survival with mods.
Now it's time to play something new.

Started second playthrough after my 30 hour first run save got somehow wiped from my xb1. Not even mad. Headed in a different direction and found new spots all over.

Also, whoever came up with the idea for the Boston Mayoral Shelter dungeon gets my absolute praise. Playing a stealth character, took me three hours to finish it. Utterly terrifying. I don't play open world games with music and the sound effects took over in that place. I took a shitload of footage and pictures of my journey throughout because it was so tense. It was also my first real encounter with synths, and it was amazing. There was once part in particular (well, several) straight out of a horror movie. I think about halfway through playing it I put a cigarette in my mouth to smoke, and it could have been fifteen or twenty minutes until I realized I'd been so into the game I'd forgotten to light it.

Fantastic game so far.

Like most Bethesda rpgs I haven't touched the main quest (and probably won't for a long time) and it just means the journey is so much more fun.

Mods have helped. Except for some terrible crashing issues with some greenery add-ons.

Fun little tidbit: was in the Super Duper Mart, activated the Protectron and chose the Construction Worker personality. When I chatted with him he said to wear a hard hat. I had one in my inventory incidentally and equipped it. Talked to him again and he thanked me for cooperating before mowing down every last ghoul on the main floor. Sadly he was destroyed in the process,

but he fought bravely, and I took his metal chest piece after he exploded and I wore my hard hat in his honor until I cleared out the building.

So much fun.

Started second playthrough after my 30 hour first run save got somehow wiped from my xb1. Not even mad. Headed in a different direction and found new spots all over.

Also, whoever came up with the idea for the Boston Mayoral Shelter dungeon gets my absolute praise. Playing a stealth character, took me three hours to finish it. Utterly terrifying. I don't play open world games with music and the sound effects took over in that place. I took a shitload of footage and pictures of my journey throughout because it was so good. It was also my first real encounter with synths, and it was amazing. I think about halfway through playing it I put a cigarette in my mouth to smoke, and it could have been fifteen or twenty minutes until I realized I'd been so into the game I'd forgotten to light it.

Fantastic game so far.

Like most Bethesda rpgs I haven't touched the main quest (and probably won't for a long time) and it just means the journey is so much more fun.

Mods have helped. Except for some terrible crashing issues with some greenery add-ons.

Fun little tidbit: was in the Super Duper Mart, activated the Protectron and chose the Construction Worker personality. When I chatted with him he said to wear a hard hat. I had one in my inventory incidentally and equipped it. Talked to him again and he thanked me for cooperating before mowing down every last ghoul on the main floor. Sadly he was destroyed in the process,

but he fought bravely, and I took his metal chest piece after he exploded.

So much fun.

Glad you enjoy it. These are the things I love about Bethesda games. The Mayoral Shelter was really amazing. That place was really a journey for itsefl and isn't even connected to a quest.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
The only thing that I am frustrated that Bethesda still hasn't "fixed" is wire management for settlement power. That is the one thing that I hate beyond belief in settlement building.

void666

Banned
So there's a mod that allows full save menu on survival along with unlimited survival activations.

And reshade preset recommendation:Vintage film looks. I'm using the Kodak Kodachrome 828 and holy shit, it's beautiful.

Edit: Oh man... Nothing like installing a shit ton of mods, breaking your game and spending hours trying to fix it.
I suspect it could be reshade causing it though.

void666

Banned
Hey guys. Just dropped by to tell you that True Storms 1.4 has just been released. PC only for now. Xbox version coming soon.

True Storms is a mod that adds and tweaks weather types. It's really well done and maintained by its author.

• v1.4 features a lot of new additions and changes, please see the CHANGELOG for full details!
• Far Harbor add-on now available in v1.4!
• NMM installer for easier selection of options (requires Nexus Mod Manager)
• In-game configuration Holotape to turn all features on and off, plus weather control holotape
• Sneak buffs for player and companions during storms
• New weather types including radiation rain, heavy dust storms, heavy fogs, heavy/light rain, and more
• Intense visuals during rainstorms -- new distant fork and sheet lightning effects in the sky.
• All-new heavy rain/dust textures, materials, visual effects, and particle geometry for truly heavy storms.
• 20 all-new intense thunder sounds, and a new method for much more unpredictable/random playback and lightning strikes.
• New interior sounds for all weathers: wind, rain, radstorm, and thunder sounds for all rain types, but only inside locations where it makes sense.
• Volume slider for new thunder and rain sounds to give you more control.
• Fully configurable chance for Feral Ghoul attacks during radiation storms! (please see video for details)

It's one of the mods i deem essential.

huxley00

Far Harbor was a $15 (maybe $20) DLC priced at $25.

It was very good don't get me wrong, but I don't feel it delivered all that much more compared to Point Lookout or Old World Blues.

Let's be fair, Old World Blues is some of the best DLC that has ever existed, it's not even right to compare the two.

That being said, Fallout 4 has and continues to be such a disappointment.

The DLC is mediocre, the mods are passable, at best and the core game is just not very good.

I was hoping that it would follow more of a New Vegas scope. The main game faulted, but interesting and the mods would come in and clean things up. This game is so fundamentally....bad and the modding community is so disinterested, my only hope is to wait to Fallout 5.

With that being said, this is the last time I'll be buying a Fallout game on day 1.

Morokh

The DLC is mediocre, the mods are passable, at best and the core game is just not very good.

I was hoping that it would follow more of a New Vegas scope. The main game faulted, but interesting and the mods would come in and clean things up. This game is so fundamentally....bad and the modding community is so disinterested, my only hope is to wait to Fallout 5.

Give it time, F04 mods are still in their infancy, and most of the usual tools that make awesome mods possible are still in development.

To be faire F:NV's engine was basically F03's engine with a few tweaks which made it extremely simple to quickly adapt things already created for 3 and tweak it, if you look at Skyrim it took some time too and modding only really exploded in both cases when all updates and DLC were said and done and modders could work on a 'stable' game.

I don't think FO4 modding will ever reach the popularity of Skyrim modding.
I've heard many great modders say that the base game is disappointing so they won't be putting much work into it.

Skyrim Special Edition releases in less than four months which might be another hit for FO4 modding.

Sarcasm

The reason why skyrim has tons of mods is cause the base game is a huge snoozefest.

One of the few games where it is required to mod because it is so boring.

Evening modding it I got bored. Though pretty interesting most of my playtime for it was testing it to see if the game ran lol.

Lol, mods are out since 2 months, the creation kit since 4 months? Mods need to be developed/tested as well. It will take some time until the bigger overhaul/quest mods will be out...

Morokh

I don't think FO4 modding will ever reach the popularity of Skyrim modding.
I've heard many great modders say that the base game is disappointing so they won't be putting much work into it.

Skyrim Special Edition releases in less than four months which might be another hit for FO4 modding.

Such is the life of a modding community, legacy modders fade away and for each of them a new generation rises to the challenge, it happened for every game release and even during the games lifetimes that's absolutely nothing out of the ordinary.

What's a bit more worrying right now is still the aftermath of paid mods and what's currently happening around console mods, with mod theft and a portion of console players being absolute shitbags towards modders.
That could do some real harm and if bethesda don't get their shit together when Skyrim enhanced comes out it will be the biggest modding shitfest ever instead of a possible new age for Skyrim mods.

huxley00

Lol, mods are out since 2 months, the creation kit since 4 months? Mods need to be developed/tested as well. It will take some time until the bigger overhaul/quest mods will be out...

Fair enough, I just need to give it more time. I think I'm letting my annoyance at the base game and focus on construction/settlements vs. storyline still has me a bit bitter (as well as the dialogue tree).

I just have so many issues with the base game, maybe I've lost hopes that even mods can fix it.

Fair enough, I just need to give it more time. I think I'm letting my annoyance at the base game and focus on construction/settlements vs. storyline still has me a bit bitter (as well as the dialogue tree).

I just have so many issues with the base game, maybe I've lost hopes that even mods can fix it.

Im kinda with you on this. Although for me F4 is still a good game (including settlements) but just not a good a Fallout game, its not good at the things that I loved about the Fallout games.

If I could mod the first thing Id do would be to completely overhaul the minutemen faction. Remove all the settlement quests (the settlements themselves could still exist) and give them a completely new identity with quests etc.

huxley00

Im kinda with you on this. Although for me F4 is still a good game (including settlements) but just not a good a Fallout game, its not good at the things that I loved about the Fallout games.

If I could mod the first thing Id do would be to completely overhaul the minutemen faction. Remove all the settlement quests (the settlements themselves could still exist) and give them a completely new identity with quests etc.

I agree, settlement building is kind of fun. I just get a bit annoyed when I consider how long that aspect of the game must have taken to build and how much it takes away from the 'core' Fallout experience. When you tie that in with stinted dialogue trees, options that don't matter...boring perks (almost all perks seem to just give you bonus stats or the ability to hack better etc...nothing really interesting)...unlimited power armor (which used to be insanely rare now its just everywhere)....and settlement quests that don't really matter much.

Maybe the game just isn't for the same audience anymore? It is definitely geared to the Minecraft crowd and the console gamer. I can't blame them for making some of these choices but it just bums me out.

void666

Banned
Mods can't fix shitty writing or boring quests. They can add better quests of course.
But what's already there can't be fixed.

How am i enjoying the game:

New game + Alternate start + war of the commonwealth + True Storms + Survival mode + ignore everything main quest related
It's no witcher 3 but it's fun as hell.

Morokh

Relatively new to the game.

How do you tell which clothing options can be worn under pieces of armor?

When you hover over a piece of armor/clothing the body parts that it uses will blink on the vault-boy icon, you'll be able to put armor pieces on all the body parts that don't blink.

Be warned there is barely any logic in the way they handle full body armor, clothing and underarmor and the way you can or can not upgrade them.

HotHamBoy

How do people feel about Wasteland Workshop and Contraptions?

They look interesting but the reviews are all pretty bad.

I actually never beat Fallout 4, or even got more than halfway through the main quest, because I spent so much damn time building settlements and shit.

I mean, a DUMB amount of time.

I was thinking about getting back into the game, haven't played since December.

NCR Redslayer

NeoGAF's Vegeta

I actually never beat Fallout 4, or even got more than halfway through the main quest, because I spent so much damn time building settlements and shit.

A nice upgrade but only too settlements.

N° 2048

Waiting to clear a few games from backlog before finishing up Far Harbor then start the Vault Building + Nuka World DLC.

Not doing anymore settlement building, already put dozens of hours into that.
After the final (lol) DLC and Platinum trophy (just 4 trophies left from Institute playthrough) I probably won't play Fallout 4 until I get a new PC early next year to be honest.

PS4 mods news really was a kick in the balls by Bethesda.

Morokh

Some people will just hate on those DLC's simply because they are not story DLC's but just settlement stuff.

That being said they simply are not very good either.
They pale in comparison with all the settlement mods that add as much if not more, but also fix many of the issues of the settlement system.
Meanwhile those two DLC's just feel like monetization of existing in-game assets, and the core mechanic that is supposed to make them special (Capturing creatures/setting up fights, and Machinery) are either extremely buggy, or just feel incomplete.

There is some good stuff in there if you like to build and want more variety, but it's just hard to justify the price.

HotHamBoy

Some people will just hate on those DLC's simply because they are not story DLC's but just settlement stuff.

That being said they simply are not very good either.
They pale in comparison with all the settlement mods that add as much if not more, but also fix many of the issues of the settlement system.
Meanwhile those two DLC's just feel like monetization of existing in-game assets, and the core mechanic that is supposed to make them special (Capturing creatures/setting up fights, and Machinery) are either extremely buggy, or just feel incomplete.

There is some good stuff in there if you like to build and want more variety, but it's just hard to justify the price.

I guess I should have mentioned I'm playing on PS4. No mods and mods may never come. I don't know if that would change your sentiment.

Did reinstalling far harbor on ps4 actually fix the framerate also? I finished it right before they patched it, I loved the expansion but felt bad for anyone who paid 25 dollars for the technical mess it was.

NCR Redslayer

NeoGAF's Vegeta
Did reinstalling far harbor on ps4 actually fix the framerate also? I finished it right before they patched it, I loved the expansion but felt bad for anyone who paid 25 dollars for the technical mess it was.
No but it got way less notable as time went on the second mission its the worst.

Grinchy

Banned
I finally gave Survival a shot and kinda hate it after around 3 hours. I should disclose that I was also playing it while tinkering with my own steam controller configuration, so many of the frustrations weren't Survival's fault.

It's just that I can be fighting a couple guys, go run behind a tree for cover, see the grenade icon pop up on my screen, and before I can react, I'm one-shotted by it. Now I'm back at whatever bed I last saved at. It's more tedious than challenging.

The early quest where you fight a deathclaw was a complete joke as well. If it didn't bug out on me and get stuck in the sewer area, I never would have been able to kill it. It would just hit me once and the power armor was fucked, then I'd be standing there waiting for the next swipe to kill me. Back to the bed I went.

nortonff

Hi, I'm nortonff. I spend my life going into threads to say that I don't care about the topic of the thread. It's a really good use of my time.
I finally gave Survival a shot and kinda hate it after around 3 hours. I should disclose that I was also playing it while tinkering with my own steam controller configuration, so many of the frustrations weren't Survival's fault.

It's just that I can be fighting a couple guys, go run behind a tree for cover, see the grenade icon pop up on my screen, and before I can react, I'm one-shotted by it. Now I'm back at whatever bed I last saved at. It's more tedious than challenging.

The early quest where you fight a deathclaw was a complete joke as well. If it didn't bug out on me and get stuck in the sewer area, I never would have been able to kill it. It would just hit me once and the power armor was fucked, then I'd be standing there waiting for the next swipe to kill me. Back to the bed I went.

I managed to kill him by pursuing him from one rooftop to another.
But I also gave up Survival. I'm playing on the hardest difficulty, but not Survival. It's much more fun for me. I don't like going back all the time and doing things all over again.
If I had more time to play, maybe I would have stick to it.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.

They're decent if you love settlement building, but for people like me they feel like season pass padding.

I do like what they bring, but I don't love it.

void666

Banned

"Wakes up in bed. It was all a bad dream."

I don't recommend vanilla survival. It's no fun at all.

But since you're on pc there are mods that aleviate that.
I set my game in a way that i have full save menu, unlimited survival activations, fast travel enabled, console, sleeping bags and matresses counting as beds, weightless junk and mods. Reduced damage taken, so being one shotted is less likely.
And for now i disabled hunger and thirst. Sometimes i just want to build stuff and it's a pain to have your charater starving while you build the perfect hideout.

Why even play on survival? You ask.

I enjoy the challenge. I just want it to be fun instead of annoying.
No fast travel abusing. But it's of my choosing. Not the game enforcing it. Ammo and meds still have weight. Fatigue and diseases are on. Stimpacks takes forever to heal. Raised radiation in far harbor and the glowing sea. Pitch black nights, reduced timescale.
And on top of that war of the commonwealth guarantees that being caught between multi faction gunfire isn't a rare ocurrence.

It irks me how bethesda went out of their way to take away our options. It's everything or nothing. And if you step down fom survival you can't ever choose it again! Noob!
I can almost hear Todd Howard whispering "git gud"

I wouldn't recommend using mods to circumvent the save and fast travel restrictions. That eliminates a lot of what makes Survival mode challenging.

That said, Survival isn't well balanced for the early levels. The deathclaw fight in Concord and levels 10-15 are the hardest it is, but if you work through that tough stretch, it's really rewarding.

I'm a L53 heavy gunner on Survival since level one, and this is now my definitive FO4 experience.

N° 2048

I wouldn't recommend using mods to circumvent the save and fast travel restrictions. That eliminates a lot of what makes Survival mode challenging.

That said, Survival isn't well balanced for the early levels. The deathclaw fight in Concord and levels 10-15 are the hardest it is, but if you work through that tough stretch, it's really rewarding.

I'm a L53 heavy gunner on Survival since level one, and this is now my definitive FO4 experience.

That Deathclaw battle was one of the most satisfying things to do in Fallout Survival Mode.
I worked my ass off to get the Mini Nuke + FatMan (Olivia Satellite station and Robotics Disposal Yard) and took it out in one shot.
So damn satisfying after working all those hours to get the Fat Man + Mini Nuke .

I fucking love this game.

void666

Banned
Well, i say circumventing the restrictions of survival mode eliminate pointless boredom.

The point of these games is that there's no "way to be played" set in stone. Thanks to mods you can create the game you want.

Morokh

I worked my ass off to get the Mini Nuke + FatMan (Olivia Satellite station and Robotics Disposal Yard) and took it out in one shot.
So damn satisfying after working all those hours to get the Fat Man + Mini Nuke .

Hours ? you can get both in the Yard and avoid pretty much every ennemy from Sanctuary to there ...

Uh ? why is my Fallout 4 downloading a 732MB update ?

N° 2048

Hours ? you can get both in the Yard and avoid pretty much every ennemy from Sanctuary to there ...

Uh ? why is my Fallout 4 downloading a 732MB update ?

Yea a couple hours I'd say, I was very low level. High INT/CHR build too so I take one shot and I'm done.

Hopefully that update fixes the damn Diamond City helmets. Bethesda really doesn't give a fuck about Fallout 4 bugs ffs.

Morokh

The little icons in the workshop menu are a nice touch, I hope Modders start using them too for their mods.

Bunch of changes here and there in some categories, certainly hints at some of the upcoming objects from the next DLC's

JoeNut

Spoilers for Far Harbour

So i have 3 options, turn off the fog condensors, nuke the atom people, or the "nice" option of putting a synth into the children of atom and making them make peace with far harbour, i picked the nice option out of habit more than anything, i tend to always go for the peaceful option, but there's a huge part of me wanting to just nuke the children of atom, they seem like deluded idiots who don't really deserve to survive, can someone tell me please, if i go back and pick the "nuke" option, do they actually get blown up?

Stevey

Spoilers for Far Harbour

So i have 3 options, turn off the fog condensors, nuke the atom people, or the "nice" option of putting a synth into the children of atom and making them make peace with far harbour, i picked the nice option out of habit more than anything, i tend to always go for the peaceful option, but there's a huge part of me wanting to just nuke the children of atom, they seem like deluded idiots who don't really deserve to survive, can someone tell me please, if i go back and pick the "nuke" option, do they actually get blown up?

Yes, that will happen if you go back and pick that option, it's what I did.

Some new info on Vault-Tec Workshop

DLC questline starts when your Pip-Boy detects a distress signal from Vault 88. Inside you will find Vault Overseer, who will teach you the basics of building and managing your own Vault (The whole story is a bit more complicated, but not much).

There is a HUGE network of caves, tunnels and so on. You can gradually dig up more and more space. The total size is similar to Blackreach in Skyrim.

Unfortunately I can't say anything about experiments, as I didn't played much

https://imgur.com/a/XNs8d

Source

Top Bottom