• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fallout 76 Mod Support is Still Coming – Bethesda

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

Project lead Jeff Gardiner cleared the air at a recent Q&A for Quakecon at Home via Twitch. He said that “We are definitely still working on mod support, it’s coming.”

Adding mod support is tougher in this case due to the game’s client-server architecture. “We call it the heavy lift. Meaning we’ve had to put a lot of resources into that…it’s not just drag-and-drop from the previous games because of the way our client-server architecture works. But it is coming, we’re working on it…just stay tuned.”

There’s also the question of how mods will be distributed and/or monetized. Bethesda previously noted that mods would be available on private servers but the latter is gated behind Fallout 1st, a subscription service. How this will be handled remains to be seen but the development studio has yet to outright admit that Fallout 1st will be needed for mods. In the meantime, stay tuned for more details.

tillbot8

Banned
I both like and hate this game! Fuck the management of Bethesda so much for screwing the potential of this game! Every update makes it worse and it's clear their Austin office was not equipped to deal with this product. Just a shameless cash grab!

I don't believe a word out of Hines, Howard or Gardiner about 76 in any way. They have ruined any good will and modders can do so much better then them for that I have no doubt.

I just wonder how they will monetise other People's work for themselves, that's almost a certainty at this stage. Oh one last moan....Fallout First? KISS MY ASS!

If mod support is just as robust as the previous Fallout games, I'd go back and play Fallout 76. If I could just remove all the things I hate about it, Fallout 76 would probably be a fun game. For me at least.

It does make me wonder how Bethesda is going to handle mods. Are they going to try and limit mods that create an endless supply of caps? What about mods that allow you to break down items into mass amounts of scrap materials? I can't imagine Bethesda giving free reign to players, but maybe they will. I mean, in order to access modding you'll have to be a Fallout 1st subscriber. Maybe that's enough for them? I don't know.

Fallout 76 is weird and dumb.

Top Bottom