• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fallout - Series Reviews

One of the most overrated shows I've seen in a long time.

Was sold to me as a 9 or a 10 but it's more of a 6 or a 7.

It felt super cheap and drawn out like some of the cheaper episodes of Mandalorian.

Didn't play the games, so don't think I was biased one way or the other on how it was adapted.
I’ve only seen 2 eps, but I don’t understand how someone could call the show “cheap”.

As an adaptation, way better done than TLOU show, especially 10 times better than that Twisted Metal trash.
I honestly dont think it's fair to compare to TLOU. TLOU tv show was pretty much a 1/1 adaptation of the game, while the Fallout tv show has completely new characters and storylines. It only follows the lore of the fallout games. The writers have much more creative freedom with Fallout.

And if you played the TLOU game, I think you are less likely to enjoy the show because you know all the plot points and are constantly comparing it to the game

I just binged the whole thing. As a big fan of FO3/NV/4, I thought it was GREAT!

Lucy is a babe.

Goggins is a GOAT.

Maximus is...pretty good!

The sets were awesome. The CG wasn't too distracting. The costume design was on point. The show actually made me laugh out loud at times.

I thought it told a great story for the medium. My friends who haven't played the games thought it was good, too.

Now time to read the rest of this thread to see why I'm wrong, the lore decisions are an abomination, and my opinion is invalid because I haven't played 1 & 2.

ManaByte

I honestly dont think it's fair to compare to TLOU. TLOU tv show was pretty much a 1/1 adaptation of the game, while the Fallout tv show has completely new characters and storylines. It only follows the lore of the fallout games. The writers have much more creative freedom with Fallout.

And if you played the TLOU game, I think you are less likely to enjoy the show because you know all the plot points and are constantly comparing it to the game

Yup. I couldn't make it through TLOU because I've played the game three times and it was just a shot for shot recreation in live action. It was boring (although the tendril thing was cool).

I might watch this but I don't like what I'm hearing about Bethesda using it to erase New Vegas from canon. That's petty shit.

Cyberpunkd

It felt super cheap and drawn out like some of the cheaper episodes of Mandalorian.

Didn't play the games, so don't think I was biased one way or the other on how it was adapted.
Loop Trump GIF

I'm not sure about the character's pronouns but there is a female trans actress portraying a male soldier in the show. I noticed the character having female-like facial features and a female-like voice first. Then I wondered why that character was so skinny while being supposedly a soldier in a physically demanding role and decided to check the person on the internet. Yes, the person is trans.
One of the BoS's referred to that character as "their" in one scene.

I mean, I can't remember the name of the girl except she's MacLean, mainly because her father is Kyle MacLachlan in real life and he's one of my favourite actors since Twin Peaks. But I really hope she's the McGuffin and we have that Alabaman irradiating us for so long that we turn into Super Mutants. 😄
Wait, the actress is Kyle's daughter in real life?

Saw the reviews. What’s the verdict for people here who watched? I’m actually excited to get a decent Fallout show. I got spoiled by a post and saw
a potential New Vegas focus next season.
I binged it. It's dope as hell, and probably my favorite video game adaptation to date. It treats the source material with respect, and ties in everything I love about Fallout into a single compelling narrative.

Yeah him and Lucy are the most boring characters in the show so far
For mains for me, it goes Goggins >>> Lucy >> Maximus, but I still was more invested in Lucy and Maximus than I thought I would be. I like her naivete and his being a bumbling, not 100% valiant opportunist.

Watched the first episode - yeah, a bit shit. I’ll try one more just to be sure.

Maybe wasn’t wise to watch it straight after Oppenheimer. Maybe too much of a switch in tone 😂
You went from Christopher to Jonathon Nolan. You should tell the brothers your thoughts and get the sibling rivalry brewing.

That's too bad. I thought it was a 9 for sure.

I'm not talking about exact details but more about the vibe both shows give off. The first two episodes of TLOU were great and then it turned into a father/daughter story with a clicker here and there, wasting a whole episode on Bill and its not like they didnt through in random new characters in there as well. Fallout even though it doesnt have a single noticeable character from the games, feels 100% Fallout as it uses every visual, easter egg, music, vibe, setting that is straight from the games. TLOU in comparison feels like people cosplaying TLOU and as if only 3% of the population is infected. It removed any terror the games had or the fact that you were an absolute minority fighting for survival every day. Instead they made the show about people vs people 85%, clickers 15%.

Last edited:
I just binged the whole thing. As a big fan of FO3/NV/4, I thought it was GREAT!

Lucy is a babe.

Goggins is a GOAT.

Maximus is...pretty good!

The sets were awesome. The CG wasn't too distracting. The costume design was on point. The show actually made me laugh out loud at times.

I thought it told a great story for the medium. My friends who haven't played the games thought it was good, too.

Now time to read the rest of this thread to see why I'm wrong, the lore decisions are an abomination, and my opinion is invalid because I haven't played 1 & 2.
Play 1 and 2. I’ve played 1 probably 3 times, doing a 2 run now on the deck. I’ve never finished 2, so this is the time.

They’re amazing. If you’re not used to oldschool, it’ll be an adjustment, but it’s worth it.

Dutchy

Shows whoever made that shit image never played Fallout 1&2.
I'm more worried about the fact that two main characters kissing in the final 10 minutes of the final episode of a show is considered forced and woke.

I geniunely can't imagine how tiresome it must be to live like that. :messenger_loudly_crying:

I'm more worried about the fact that two main characters kissing in the final 10 minutes of the final episode of a show is considered forced and woke.

I geniunely can't imagine how tiresome it must be to live like that. :messenger_loudly_crying:
seeing something everywhere, whether it's racism, sexism, micro aggressions', or 'woke', is basically living in a self-imposed hell...

digdug2

Wife and I just finished season 1 today. It was pretty damn good.

It explored quite a few things that I loved in the games namely the seediness of the vaults and nuking a city just because you can and was way gorier than I had expected it to be. All sorts of heads getting squished, exploded, decapitated, and there was lots of viscera.

Trunx81

Finished the season today and really liked it. Waiting for the F4 Update on the 25th to get some bullets into some brains.

Look and feel was pretty good. Although I never thought that Lucy’s brother was her real brother. This nose .. is just so distracting.

The show is considered to be canon, right? Because holy moly, these bastards 😅

Only nagging points: CGI of that water creature was a bit off when it got on land. And some smaller scenes dragged for too long.

On the plus side, I felt like Leonardo pointing at references all the time.

Bought em. Fallout classic collection was $5 on Steam today. Gonna start with #2
Start with 1!!! It’s so good. It’s an almost perfect length - not that long for an RPG - and has incredible atmosphere. It’d be a crime to miss Fallout 1.

Read up on some builds/the system a bit.

Last edited:

TwinB242

Finished it last night. It was great and surprisingly faithful to the source material. Not just the sets and props, but even how some of the songs and music cues from the games were utilized. I hope to see more video game to TV adaptations get this kind of care and attention.

Last edited:
Start with 1!!! It’s so good. It’s an almost perfect length - not that long for an RPG - and has incredible atmosphere. It’d be a crime to miss Fallout 1.

Read up on some builds/the system a bit.
I was gonna go with #2 first because I figured they would've streamlined things in a sequel, and I am a little concerned about them being mechanically dated. I just might switch it to #1 though now

Dutchy

Naw, Angry Joe and his cronies really liked the first 4 eps, they gave those a 8/10 and then it really become mid for then dragging the show down to 6/10 overall.

Angry Joe has got to be one of the most distasteful persona's ever. His whole gimmick is overreacting and being insincere. Not to mention his friends (cronies?) look like a bunch of 50IQ troglodytes that can barely string together a cohesive sentence.

Then there's the guy with a furry pfp calling the show ''overrated'' while it's been out for like 3 days and has barely gotten the chance to be judged by the masses

Some people really cannot be honest without mixing a lil anger/frustration into the bag

Angry Joe has got to be one of the most distasteful persona's ever. His whole gimmick is overreacting and being insincere. Not to mention his friends (cronies?) look like a bunch of 50IQ troglodytes that can barely string together a cohesive sentence.

Then there's the guy with a furry pfp calling the show ''overrated'' while it's been out for like 3 days and has barely gotten the chance to be judged by the masses

Some people really cannot be honest without mixing a lil anger/frustration into the bag
Yeah, I have never understood his appeal. Pretty sure his audience is 12 year olds. Can't really blame him for doing something harmless that makes him millions of dollars. I doubt he is anything like his character IRL

I was gonna go with #2 first because I figured they would've streamlined things in a sequel, and I am a little concerned about them being mechanically dated. I just might switch it to #1 though now
IMO fallout 2 has a few niceties, but the start is hard and annoying. 2 isn’t that much more streamlined, other than being able to set up companions a bit better.
2 is brilliant, don’t get me wrong, but 1 is just a beautiful experience imo.

Last edited:

Didn't play the games, so don't think I was biased one way or the other on how it was adadapted.
Cheap? You have to be kidding? It had a budget of over 150 million making it a very expensive TV series, nothing about it is cheap.

Ulysses 31

Do those things have any bearing on this review where he doesn't pull out the screaming/outrage persona? He says why things worked or didn't for him in a normal fashion.

Last edited:
Have seen all the episodes except for the last. A bit over the top like the games. Prefer more gritty and realistic shows myself but it's not bad at all.

clarky

Gold Member
On episode 6. T his show is decent. 8/10. As a videogame adaptation much better than expected.

Last edited:
Done now.
It's ok. Not amazing, not too bad. Watched over four days.

Liked the little nod to Fallout 1 at the very end of the last episode.

Got my attention enough to care for a season 2.

Krathoon

One thing I have been wondering.
Episode 2 spoilers.
Was the Enclave behind Vault-Tec?

Last edited:
One funny thing about the show:

- no mention as to who the "reds" are. Only one mention of fighting in the "far east", during one of the past sections.
- the only indication... not China, but the remnants of a soviet satellite. Weird.

Hardensoul

Naw, Angry Joe and his cronies really liked the first 4 eps, they gave those a 8/10 and then it really became mid for them dragging the show down to 6/10 overall.

I’m surprised! They brought up the same issues I had with the show. Every main character conveniently shows at opportune times. Vault 4 episodes were too comical.

Maximus failing up. Plot armor power ups! He can’t die when he should’ve! I already kinda knew they were going to do Lucy x Max romance but it felt awkward!

Googins best of show, disagree with their Lucy. I think Lucy was good too. Maximus was definitely worst of the show.

Overall ok but not great! Definitely not amazing! IMO

lifa-cobex

plot point that was randomly dropped.

the water pump broke
Was it just a nod the Fallout 1 or did i miss something?

Just finished it a few minutes ago; it's a great fucking TV show. Walton Goggins was amazing in it, and Ella Purnell did a great job as well.

Now I'm looking forward even more to the Fallout 4 current-gen patch since I never got to play the DLCs, only the base game when it was released back in 2015

Top Bottom