• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fallout - Series Reviews

Krathoon

Just finished it a few minutes ago; it's a great fucking TV show. Walton Goggins was amazing in it, and Ella Purnell did a great job as well.

Now I'm looking forward even more to the Fallout 4 current-gen patch since I never got to play the DLCs, only the base game when it was released back in 2015
Yeah. I am interested in the patch comming out. Does that come out this week?

Edit: Bah. It does not come out until the 25th. I will be on vacation. Poop.

Last edited:

IFireflyl

Gold Member
I'll wait until the majority of the bugs are fixed by community patches.
The series got its first patch… v1.01

Cracking Up Lol GIF by HULU

clarky

Gold Member
Just finished ep07.

Reminds me of Severance, but nowhere near as good.

If you like this show, them watch Severance.

Cheap? You have to be kidding? It had a budget of over 150 million making it a very expensive TV series, nothing about it is cheap.

A high budget doesn't necessarily equate to high production value.

The Ghouls look pretty cheap and much of the sets look pretty cheap. It reminded me a lot of the sets for Station Eleven, which were also super cheap feeling, but that show had better writing for the most part.

I'm stunned people are still pushing this as a 9. It's a pretty mid show as the kids would say.

Kabelly

First episode was fun. I will definitely keep watching. I've never played Fallout so the game mechanics are lost on me but the general idea of the games I knew about.

ZehDon

Gold Member
Finished it over the weekend, and really enjoyed it. Best video game show I've seen. I thought Maximus' story was the overall weakest link, with the Vault storyline and anything involving Walton Goggins being the clear standouts. Lucy's story was a good throughline that worked well as the tissue that connected everything. I thought it looked and sounded great, the actors all turned in good stuff, with Goggins again being the clear standout, and I'm pretty keen to watch whatever comes next.

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
Is there an |OT|?

Anyway, I watched the first episode and then immediately signed up for a month of Prime to watch the rest of the episodes. This show is stupid good as a Fallout vehicle, and even if Fallout had never existed, it is an excellent standalone.

I came in with high expectations after reading the reviews and the show far exceeded even those. There was a point that was predictable, but they managed to handle it well.

If you're giving the show a 9, you must think some actors absolutely killed their roles and should be nominated for something.

If this is a 9, what would give The Bear? A 13?
I'd nominate Goggins for sure.

I haven't seen The Bear. Heard it's good, though. I'll probably check it out.

I'd nominate Goggins for sure.

I haven't seen The Bear. Heard it's good, though. I'll probably check it out.

You would nominate Goggins?

First off, he hasn't been really good. He's a pretty average actor at best.

Second, what category are you going to nominate him for?

Best actor or best supporting? Drama or comedy?

I think you'd have to nominate him for best lead in a comedy series and I can tell you that there is zero chance he beats Jeremy Allen White in that category. Nor is he going to beat Larry David. Going further there's only 8 episodes and he is barely in the show. He probably has the equivalent run time of maybe 2 or 3 episodes. So I'm going to call you out as having probably not seen enough TV series to justify nominating him, especially since you haven't seen The Bear.

He's in so few scenes, you might even have to consider him a supporting character. That's no cake walk either, with Ebon Moss-Bachrach, Paul Rudd, and Tyler James Williams.

You watching it yourself then to form an opinion or form your own from YT? 😘😘😘
As a heads up, Ulysses 31 Ulysses 31 is notorious in Off-Topic for linking 3-4 hour youtube review videos, watching them to completion, and then mirroring their opinions in threads on his own posts. He would rather do all of this than simply watching the actual content and judging for himself.

And this isn't me making fun of the guy, I've merely accepted who he is and what he does. I don't get it and I don't think I ever will, but I'm just informing people here who don't visit OT much.

Yes.

Agree to disagree.

Best supporting actor in a drama series.

I think you'd have to nominate him for best lead in a comedy series and I can tell you that there is zero chance he beats Jeremy Allen White in that category. Nor is he going to beat Larry David.
Never said he'd win.

Going further there's only 8 episodes and he is barely in the show. He probably has the equivalent run time of maybe 2 or 3 episodes. So I'm going to call you out as having probably not seen enough TV series to justify nominating him, especially since you haven't seen The Bear.
This is just rude, man, and if you don't see how it is, I don't know what to tell you. I'm allowed to have an opinion, and so are you.

Nonehxc

The series got its first patch… v1.01

Probably patching quality. I swear it has some crisp shots and then some somewhat artifacty shots in eps 1 through 5, but nothing jarring...but ep 6 to 8 the PQ drops A LOT with lots of low quality compression artifacts and pixelating.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Up till Episode 5, the show's really good.

Walter Goggins is killing it. The main girl is also surprisingly good to follow, not grating at all.

Wish there was more Michael Emerson and Kyle MacLachlan, but ah well.

Buggy Loop

Finished episode 7 and it took a lot of restraint to not watch the last one before I wake up in a few hours by the kids routine..

Really good show what the hell. The setting and decors are amazing. The ghoul is the most interesting character I’ve seen in a while.

I think you'd have to nominate him for best lead in a comedy series and I can tell you that there is zero chance he beats Jeremy Allen White in that category. Nor is he going to beat Larry David. Going further there's only 8 episodes and he is barely in the show. He probably has the equivalent run time of maybe 2 or 3 episodes. So I'm going to call you out as having probably not seen enough TV series to justify nominating him, especially since you haven't seen The Bear.

He's in so few scenes, you might even have to consider him a supporting character. That's no cake walk either, with Ebon Moss-Bachrach, Paul Rudd, and Tyler James Williams.
Bro you are tripping - completely different tones for the bear and fallout - fallout is a high concept science fiction satire - the bear in a serio comedy about a chef in Chicago.

And goggins is one of the best actors working today so I don’t know where “average” is coming from.

Last edited:

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
Bro you are tripping - completely different tones for the bear and fallout - fallout is a high concept science fiction satire - the bear in a serio comedy about a chef in Chicago.

And goggins is one of the best actors working today so I don’t know where “average” is coming from.

If he is one of the best actors, then he is clearly not bringing his A game here. He was very middling.

If he is one of the best actors, then he is clearly not bringing his A game here. He was very middling.
pretty much every reviewer and fan of the show disagrees. He is 100% the best part. Reminds me a ton of Ed Harris in Westworld S1. Both shows created by Jonathan Nolan too. Perfectly cast roles.

And I don't think even think Walton Goggins is some A+ actor, but he is a very solid character actor, and this role is what he will be best known for

Last edited:

geary

pretty much every reviewer and fan of the show disagrees. He is 100% the best part. Reminds me a ton of Ed Harris in Westworld S1. Both shows created by Jonathan Nolan too. Perfectly cast roles.

And I don't think even think Walton Goggins is some A+ actor, but he is a very solid character actor, and this role is what he will be best known for
Boyd Crowder is his best known character.

Last edited:

RickSanchez

This is just rude, man, and if you don't see how it is, I don't know what to tell you. I'm allowed to have an opinion, and so are you.
LOL, im seeing multiple instances of people in this thread getting mad at someone else's subjective opinion about the show. It's just a show, some people will like it, some people will not. Nothing to get personal about. All i can think is that these are either teenagers or just immature adults with cushy lives. When you have things like a spouse/kids, bills, mortgages, job responsibilities, etc to worry about, you tend to not have the interest or energy to argue with strangers on the internet about a TV show.

That being said, i personally liked it very much. Looking forward to season 2. Walton Goggins fucking nails his role, what a great performance by him. Ella Purnell was also good, and her character was decently well written. I think Maximus and the whole Brotherhood arc is the most underdeveloped part of season 1 in terms of plot strength, but that can be improved in season 2. The whole cold fusion mcguffin is a weak point in the plot for me. Just something for the characters to fight over, but in the end it acts as just another fusion core ? so i guess i did not understand its importance. Maybe season 2 will explain it better. Or maybe someone in this thread can explain it better :)

Last edited:

I can see both sides of this back and forth…

Walton Goggins has great screen charisma and a great voice. I get the appeal and I hope he gets more roles because he has more potential he can unlock.

rhodesianshepard rhodesianshepard I think the better question to ask is if you feel, on a Walton Goggins-only scale(comparing him to himself), that this is an A+ performance from him?

I think both Post and Pre-Ghoul is a great performance here, but I don’t think this is his best. Much like when Gary Oldman played Gordon in The Dark Knight trilogy, I thought he did a great job, but when comparing Gary Oldman to Gary Oldman, Gordon was not his A+ role.

That doesn’t mean he played a bad Gordon or is a worse actor, it just means that the role didn’t bring out his very best. If Dr. Claus Dr. Claus is implying that here then I get it.

Zathalus

3fD44Gv.png

Walton Goggins has great screen charisma and a great voice. I get the appeal and I hope he gets more roles because he has more potential he can unlock.

rhodesianshepard rhodesianshepard I think the better question to ask is if you feel, on a Walton Goggins-only scale(comparing him to himself), that this is an A+ performance from him?

I think both Post and Pre-Ghoul is a great performance here, but I don’t think this is his best. Much like when Gary Oldman played Gordon in The Dark Knight trilogy, I thought he did a great job, but when comparing Gary Oldman to Gary Oldman, Gordon was not his A+ role.

That doesn’t mean he played a bad Gordon or is a worse actor, it just means that the role didn’t bring out his very best. If Dr. Claus Dr. Claus is implying that here then I get it.
i have an issue with the scenario here - let’s take one of Gary Oldmans best performances like say: Sid, in Sid and Nancy, or him in Leon the Professional - those characters allowed for a certain type of performance that the Gordon character just doesn’t. it doesn’t mean he’s actually less “great” in the role, but it does mean how great he is will be under appreciated because it’s not as bombastic as a lot of his others.

And this dude is saying it’s a “middling” performance - which I just don’t see how one could think that’s true.

Last edited:

I don't think Gary Oldman in the Dark Knight is a good example at all. It is a relatively one note character that could be played 90% as well with 20 different actors.

An actor like Robert Downey JR is a much better example. His best acting roles are not as Iron Man, but the Iron Man films do an amazing job showcasing RDJ's talents as an actor. If Fallout is a great show for 4-5 seasons, this will be what Goggins will be known for. Fallout has the potential to be one of the biggest shows ever. And Walton Goggins playing the role of the Ghoul does a great job of showcasing why he is a very good actor

But I am already under the belief that this is Walton Goggins best performance I have seen

Last edited:

Forsythia

Finished it and loved it! Only thing I didn't really like is the Maximus character, but admittedly he gets better as the show progresses. Walton is awesome as ever. Was a little disappointed by Michael Emerson being killed off so soon, but even then, he was great as always.

And Ella Purnell is definitely a cutie. Fans of her watch need to watch the first season of Yellowjackets!

Really liked the show. What works for me is that it's set in the universe but they didn't have to use established characters to make the story work. There is only one Joel for example and it and it isn't Pedro Pascal. They nailed the vibe and it looks fantastic. Was ready to be let down and was pleasantly surprised. Roll on season 2.

HoodWinked

Man it's been awhile since a season finale actually has a pretty big and satisfying payoff.

Also feels so foreign that they actually wrote a genuinely likeable female protagonist. And the portrayal of Maximus as autistic feels weirdly authentic.

I've only played Fallout 3 and 4. So i don't know the deep lore of Fallout but I hear the show shits on the lore from the non Bethesda games so that seems petty and shitty.

kikkis

Finished it and loved it! Only thing I didn't really like is the Maximus character, but admittedly he gets better as the show progresses. Walton is awesome as ever. Was a little disappointed by Michael Emerson being killed off so soon, but even then, he was great as always.

And Ella Purnell is definitely a cutie. Fans of her watch need to watch the first season of Yellowjackets!
Dude people are still watching this

Zimmy68

I just finished the second show and Disney should hire the Brotherhood guy as the Kang replacement. He has the same look as the woman beater they fired without (hopefully) the baggage.

I really enjoyed this although I found the Brotherhood of Steel bits in episode 1 to be a bit overlong and tedious but the series really picked up from episode 2. I ended up watching the entire series over the two days weekend.

I really loved the visual design and sets which were surprisingly true to Fallout 3 and especially Fallout 4. It brought a smile to my face every time someone used one of those computers which looked the same as the game, even down to the fonts and the password decryption! The characters, writing and humour were all great too, far better than anything Bethesda Games Studios have ever done in my opinion since they cannot write decent dialogue or memorable characters anyway.

My only complaint about the series and it is due to the budget is the lack of mutated creatures which made the post-apocalyptic world seem a lot less dangerous than how it was in the games. We only saw a handful of mutated creatures whereas in the games you could barely go 10 feet without encountering a human or mutated enemy. Of course, I wasn't expecting fights every 2 minutes, that would be boring anyway, but I expected to see more in the way of background creatures and especially mutated insects etc.

Overall a very good series. 9/10 from me. Really looking forward to season 2.

Last edited:

Hardensoul

I really enjoyed this although I found the Brotherhood of Steel bits in episode 1 to be a bit overlong and tedious but the series really picked up from episode 2. I ended up watching the entire series over the two days weekend.

I really loved the visual design and sets which were surprisingly true to Fallout 3 and especially Fallout 4. It brought a smile to my face every time someone used one of those computers which looked the same as the game, even done to the fonts and the password decryption! The characters, writing and humour were all great too, far better than anything Bethesda Games Studios have ever done in my opinion since they cannot write decent dialogue or memorable characters anyway.

My only complaint about the series and it is due to the budget is the lack of mutated creatures which made the post-apocalyptic world seem a lot less dangerous than how it was in the games. We only saw a handful of mutated creatures whereas in the games you could barely go 10 feet without encountering a human or mutated enemy. Of course, I wasn't expecting fights every 2 minutes, that would be boring anyway, but I expected to see more in the way of background creatures and especially mutated insects etc.

Overall a very good series. 9/10 from me. Really looking forward to season 2.
Filly was disappointing, sure the action scenes that was great. But we’d dint get to see much of the inhabitants. No memorable characters. New NCR base was disappointing too, was in and done. Felt rushed!

It wouldn’t be a rewatch for me. But series was ok enough for me to check out S2.

Stafford

I've just watched the pilot, and sheesh, this is fucking awesome. So far everything is just as it should be. They thought of the smallest details and you can just see these creators played the games, love the games. And with a nice audio setup, amazing.

I'm not gonna rush this show.

Top Bottom