• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fallout Shelter |OT| Revolutionizing safety for an uncertain future

Strazyplus

If anyone in here is like me and can't play the game without crashes on an iPad 2, you can use bluestacks to play the android version on your pc. Seems like a nice little android emulator.

not intentionally doing the PC MASTER RACE. but my experience with the game is much better on PC with bluestacks. I been having difficulty selecting the dwellers with my fat fingers on the phone, Even on PC I am still experiencing it in a minor scale with PC too. sometimes just does not select other times selects something else[PC TOO]. so I think the controls are crap in Fallout Shelter.

Stimpack

not intentionally doing the PC MASTER RACE. but my experience with the game is much better on PC with bluestacks. I been having difficulty selecting the dwellers with my fat fingers on the phone, Even on PC I am still experiencing it in a minor scale with PC too. sometimes just does not select other times selects something else[PC TOO]. so I think the controls are crap in Fallout Shelter.

You're not alone. The game controls like crap. Probably would be easier on my tablet, but apparently there's no cloud save?

Doesn't matter much anyway, because I don't think there's enough content there to hold my interest beyond the first 2-3 days.

Yeah since the touch controls are pretty crappy, they should just give a pause button so we can micromanage without being frustrated at being unable to pick up dwellers or select them.

I haven't done this, but just curious, what happens if you spend money and then either delete your vault or lose the game? Or is it not possible to lose?

I haven't played many of these clicker games but it seems like people would be pissed if they spent money and then lost whatever they paid for.

Dicer

Banned
I'm giving up on it, sloppy controls, failure rate for rushing is WAY slanted to failure, and everyone gets sick to easily, it annoying.

I expected better, though really I had no real reason to.

Majukun

until now game seems kinda easy.. in two days I have 26 well fed, hydrated members of my vault and we have plenty of energy.. almost all of them have at least a weapon.. now I'm just waiting for bottle caps to upgrade some rooms and make some new dormitory since the first one is full.
and I haven't spent a dime on the game
I'm giving up on it, sloppy controls, failure rate for rushing is WAY slanted to failure, and everyone gets sick to easily, it annoying.

true about the controls, at least on smartphones (and I have a 5.5 display).. the failure rating is the pokemon kind of rating, where 30% means 85% and viceversa.
never had anyone get sick though

It's funny since I now understand why iOS Users said we shouldn't bother with it.
Game is really barebones

Yeah, it was pretty cool as a "Hey look, you can download this spin-off right!" moment during the conference but it gets old quick and I imagine it'd be really disappointing to anyone who's been anticipating it this whole time.

SJRB

Gold Member
My characters are too stupid to heal while exploring

Edit: Spoke too soon, they wait until last minute

Yeah, you don't have to worry about that. When their life bar reaches zero they automatically use a Stimpack. You don't have to micromanage their health when they're out in the Wastelands.

Another nice thing is that they don't take damage when returning to the vault, so you should recall your Dwellers when their Stimpack supply reaches zero.

Doczu

Yeah, you don't have to worry about that. When their life bar reaches zero they automatically use a Stimpack. You don't have to micromanage their health when they're out in the Wastelands.

Another nice thing is that they don't take damage when returning to the vault, so you should recall your Dwellers when their Stimpack supply reaches zero.

The biggest fucking bullshit is when the dwellers WON'T use a fucking stimpack during a raid attack, or radroach infestation. Try healing 13 guys in 3 rooms while they move around and shoot...

Vlodril

I think is the first (or second) mobile game i have played. Is there no pause button? I cant seem to find it.

Matush

The biggest fucking bullshit is when the dwellers WON'T use a fucking stimpack during a raid attack, or radroach infestation. Try healing 13 guys in 3 rooms while they move around and shoot...
Yup, this. Had molerat attack today and 10 or so if my Dwellers died. It's such s bs.

Krakn3Dfx

Loaded up Fallout Shelter on Droid4X in Windows 10 this morning, game runs like butter for me on my i7-4790k, and having the bigger screen + mouse support makes it a lot more playable/enjoyable IMO.

The Droid4x software can be found here, I've never seen any weirdness with it, but I did block it at the Windows firewall level by default just to be on the safe side. It installed the Google Play store as well, so you can just install the game like you would on your phone (recommend setting up an alt GMail account, because again, you never know).

Here's a shot of it running on one of my monitors.
CMi_jZ6WoAA1fyR.jpg:large

Vlodril

I'm sorry, because it's not a very good one. I don't believe that there's any way to pause the game.

ah too bad. i am always interested in base management like that (loved xcom's hive wished i could do more in it.).

Would make sense to pause so you can plan your actions but then that is why the only rts i have ever played had pause buttons.

SJRB

Gold Member

Unfortunately this game has some pretty weird oversights. My biggest gripe is easily the storage management. Have 20 raider outfits? Tap the outfit and tap "sell" button 20 times. Clearing out garbage is beyond tedious becuase there's no "sell all" option or something. Especially once you have a bunch of high-leveled Dwellers roaming the Wastelands and returning with 30+ loot every time.

Game also needs way more rooms. Once you reach 100 Dwellers and unlock the final room there is no incentive to keep playing whatsoever.

Failure rate is determined by the dwellers assigned to it. I have a room that has a 0% chance because all those assigned to it are fully leveled in the appropriate skill and full luck.

Failure rate is determined by the dwellers assigned to it. I have a room that has a 0% chance because all those assigned to it are fully leveled in the appropriate skill and full luck.

Yeah, gotta start training asap. Especially Endurance for Wasteland farming.

10 Endurance means no radiation and no need for a Science lab.

vMiAQDz.jpg

Starting to build my base like this. Incidents spreading is so annoying. This base layout prevents them from spreading, and also get to save on elevator costs. The only issue is deeper rocks cost more to break, but it's not that much more.

iosefe

vMiAQDz.jpg

Starting to build my base like this. Incidents spreading is so annoying. This base layout prevents them from spreading, and also get to save on elevator costs. The only issue is deeper rocks cost more to break, but it's not that much more.
Worth it to destroy existing rooms right after the tutorial to get that done? Been thinking about doing a second vault a bit

Drac84

Have 200 dwellers, 95% happy, and deathclaws can't get past my vault entrance room guards. Nothing left to do now but cycle people through various training rooms with the aim of having all 200 citizens maxed out with full SPECIAL stats.

Worth it to destroy existing rooms right after the tutorial to get that done? Been thinking about doing a second vault a bit

You don't have to get rid of them right away. The only one you would get rid of is the power plant below the barracks.

Keep it until you get tier 2 power, the nuclear power plant, and when you build that as you go further down in the base, you can get rid of it.

The top two levels should eventually be Cap Bottlers (uses Endurance stat) in the end game. You would send your strongest dwellers there with the best gear to stop Deathclaws. Two Bottlers would cover all your water and food needs too.

Edit: Got rekt by deathclaws... managed to juggle rooms and have only a dozen deaths.

PAUonePUNCH

Neo Member
Loaded up Fallout Shelter on Droid4X in Windows 10 this morning, game runs like butter for me on my i7-4790k, and having the bigger screen + mouse support makes it a lot more playable/enjoyable IMO.

The Droid4x software can be found here, I've never seen any weirdness with it, but I did block it at the Windows firewall level by default just to be on the safe side. It installed the Google Play store as well, so you can just install the game like you would on your phone (recommend setting up an alt GMail account, because again, you never know).

Thanks for this. I downloaded it last night and it went great...... However when I went to load it up today Fallout Shelter was missing and I had to reinstall it. Do you know what I did wrong? I really like the app but would hate to lose all my progress and games every time I close it.

Joriaan

Neo Member
It appears the game has a pretty serious save corruption bug when your (Android) phone runs outta juice or memory, which makes the game impossible to load up at all. Even reinstalling doesn't work then and the save is lost. I'm kind of in luck since my first save is what I spent €2.20 on but I abandoned that vault (radroaches everywhere), my new save without cash spent got corrupted. Can't load up old save, can't load up the app at all anymore, and it's a widespread problem.

Anyway, be forewarned. I'm not sure how to fix my game now, but we'll see how Bethesda responds to this. Playing on an old-ass Galaxy S3, Android 4.3 but with the high RAM usage bug which is probably the cause of the corruption.

I know this ain't an OT or opening post, but still: send me into wasteland unarmed if old.

NetMapel

Guilty White Male Mods Gave Me This Tag
What the heck. Finally revisited Fallout Shelter after a month of hiatus. Collected my water, food... etc as usual. Then all of a sudden, deathclaw attacks and killed my shelter. They go through each room so fast I couldn't react fast enough to equip more citizens with guns. My guys with guns basically chased them room to room the whole time while they demolished my shelter :(

Deathclaws really highlight the issue with controls.

I would have gotten zero deaths with my room juggling, but the stupid shit gets clunky and dwellers don't get picked up a lot of times.

Good thing I was saving up. Had maybe 8 lowbie deaths. Interesting thing to know is Deathclaws sometimes attack a room twice when they start to exit, and sometimes they don't.

Edit: What kind of weapon power do you need to take down deathclaws? I mostly have 7 attack laser pistols.

Edit 2: Nm, I saw some people saying having 17 attack weapons isn't even enough. This is seriously a scumbag cash grab move by Bethesda to force most people to buy lunchboxes. I will persevere.

Been playing this since it came out on Android. I'm enjoying it, kinda, but there are way too many things I don't like. I would uninstall, but I don't want to lose all my progress in case I decide to come back to it, and since I'm not rooted anymore or have a pc for backing up app data, I may have to keep it installed if they never make use of cloud saves.

The thing that's pissing me off the most is how easy it is for me to kill raiders, but somehow I get murked by some damn radroaches. What the fuck yo? Straight up BS. Just in general; fires, raiders, roaches, etc. are so annoying and only make me want to play the game less. Anyway, I lost so much money reviving dead dwellers yesterday because of those roaches. And I only revived them because new dwellers seem to be so few and far between outside of getting female dwellers pregnant, and I had no replacements.

Lunchboxes seem to be completely absent from the game outside of the tutorial objectives and IAPs.

I bought a Mr. Handy for one of my vaults, but for whatever reason, I thought this was one of those overall IAPs that would work across the entire game and all current vaults. Nope! This is on me for assuming, admittedly, but damn it would have been nice if Mr. Handy was one of those "Restore Purchases" type of IAPs.

The controls are not great. Picking up people is the most frustrating. The worst is when I'm not even trying to pick someone up, but just panning around the vault, and the game registers that as a pickup.

This game really needs a pause button. Trying to micromanage all this stuff can be extremely annoying when dwellers are constantly moving and when you have a large number of rooms. Having to tap on each room when the resource or whatever are ready, is dumb.

Justinh

The thing that's pissing me off the most is how easy it is for me to kill raiders, but somehow I get murked by some damn radroaches. What the fuck yo?.

I was breezing through the game on Bluestacks on PC and had most of my vault at decent levels, like 15 and up (except a bunch of "just-kids") and got some good gun drops in early lunchboxes (alien handgun and some rocket launcher).

My vault of 44 just got wiped from a molerat invasion and it really pissed me off. Like, I can deal with everything else but really, those? I think I'd be able to do better if there was a pause and command thingy like KoToR or some such...

Lagamorph

Way too much just waiting around in this.
And the game waits way too long to tell you "Oh by the way, put two of the same room next to each other to make a single bigger room"

Best layout to avoid all the disasters spreading as I written before, but now, it is optimize for Deathclaws.

jUGg41Z.jpg

And this layout makes it really easy to dodge Deathclaws. I had 6 Deathclaws in a row and managed to dodge them all with no deaths and no one going to less than half health.

The important part for dodging Deathclaws is the single vertical elevator line on the left and the broken elevator line on the right.

The Deathclaws start going all the way right, goes down the elevator to find the empty room, then travels back to the top room to go the left room. Then they start moving down the elevator, visiting each room. In the middle rooms with the fork to the right, they will visit both rooms before going back to the long elevator. This is key because they will only visit rooms once unless they use the room to travel to an unvisited room. That's why the right elevators are broken up to prevent them from visiting rooms twice.

Since they never visit rooms twice, it's really easy to move your dwellers to rooms Deathclaws already visited, giving them absolutely no chance to kill anyone.

Coolluck

Apparently the game is going to suck once I get big enough to have Deathclaws and bigger raiding parties attacking. I'm just enjoying the check-in every few hours to make some progress and trying to avoid an incest vault. It's a fun diversion which is all I expect from a free mobile game.

Apparently the game is going to suck once I get big enough to have Deathclaws and bigger raiding parties attacking. I'm just enjoying the check-in every few hours to make some progress and trying to avoid an incest vault. It's a fun diversion which is all I expect from a free mobile game.

I think the magic number is 60 dwellers.

I didn't want to purposely kill dwellers to see if I was right, but I was on 58 for the longest time, then I went to 61, and they just kept coming with no hesitation.

If I had the choice, I would stay at 59 and never grow until I had a dozen max special and max level dwellers with great weapons. The Wasteland would have given me the weapons if I had more time to work on it.

Now I have to do the Deathclaw dance about every hour and it's soooooo annoying.

Justinh

I think the magic number is 60 dwellers.

I didn't want to purposely kill dwellers to see if I was right, but I was on 58 for the longest time, then I went to 61, and they just kept coming with no hesitation.

If I had the choice, I would stay at 59 and never grow until I had a dozen max special and max level dwellers with great weapons. The Wasteland would have given me the weapons if I had more time to work on it.

Now I have to do the Deathclaw dance about every hour and it's soooooo annoying.

Hmm, I guess I'll keep in mind to limit my living quarter space to 58 then...

unrelated pouty edit:God, I wish the guys didn't take so long to get back from the wasteland. 8 hours to go, but this guy has 25 things and I want them now!

Hmm, I guess I'll keep in mind to limit my living quarter space to 58 then...

unrelated pouty edit:God, I wish the guys didn't take so long to get back from the wasteland. 8 hours to go, but this guy has 25 things and I want them now!

Let us know if you get Deathclaws pre-60. It might mean that Deathclaws aren't based on pop numbers, but a timer.

I don't think it's a timer. It doesn't make sense design-wise. Difficulty should be ramped based on what the player has.

Only Min/Maxers would figure out this magic number to avoid Deathclaws, where average or casual players won't care. This is a casual game.

h0tp0ck3t

Do the SPECIAL stats effect anything other than collecting resources faster? Like would someone with high strength and endurance perform better guarding the door or dealing with rad roaches and mole rats than others?

Do the SPECIAL stats effect anything other than collecting resources faster? Like would someone with high strength and endurance perform better guarding the door or dealing with rad roaches and mole rats than others?

No one really knows except for Endurance making you tougher.

http://gaming.stackexchange.com/questions/223904/what-does-each-special-stat-in-fallout-shelter-do

It's more useful in the Wasteland. Here's some more analysis from this doc:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet...cOUwhsoUDR6s1lwC0e8c/htmlview?pli=1&sle=true#

Luck increases size of cap drop events.
Luck increases the probability of a given drop event being rare or legendary.
Endurance reduces damage/radiation taken. Dweller stays out longer.
Perception increases damage done, reducing the times you lose (run from) a battle and take increased damage. Dweller stays out longer.
Perception increase the chance to successfully lockpick.
Charisma is required to pass some fixed time events. Dweller stays out longer.
Strength increases damage done, increases the chance of winning a battle and taken reduced damage compared to running away. Dweller stays out longer.
Agility increases your speed, some enemies will require high agility to defeat and take less damage from. Dweller stays out longer.
Intellect is required for some fixed time events (Talon company Mercs?) in order to complete successfully.

Stimpack

ah too bad. i am always interested in base management like that (loved xcom's hive wished i could do more in it.).

Would make sense to pause so you can plan your actions but then that is why the only rts i have ever played had pause buttons.

Hah, yeah. The lack of base building metagame stuff in the new XCOM was one of my few complaints about the game. When it comes to sims and such, I always find that I run into content issues, sadly. This one is especially barren, though.

fuck Deathclaws, they never come until I send out my best guy into the Wasteland

stealing my shit, killing my people, and leaving me a broke ass bum.

There needs to be an easier way to move people around, I'm trying to get them outta the way of Deathcocks but it's so hard to get them when they keep moving

Justinh

Let us know if you get Deathclaws pre-60. It might mean that Deathclaws aren't based on pop numbers, but a timer.

I don't think it's a timer. It doesn't make sense design-wise. Difficulty should be ramped based on what the player has.

Only Min/Maxers would figure out this magic number to avoid Deathclaws, where average or casual players won't care. This is a casual game.

wilco. I'm only back up to 40-ish after building back up from losing half my vault to a freaking molerat raid.
Effing molerats! It's embarrassing!
GOD!

Stimpack

Thanks for the info. This sounds rather interesting. I just wish the damn thing would download for me. Speeds are terrible, and at some point the download speed drops off entirely.

Top Bottom