• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fallout Shelter |OT| Revolutionizing safety for an uncertain future

JJD

Runs in the background, you can turn on whether you'd like to get notifications or not.

Thanks for the answer, should I worry about fires, raiders or roaches while on background?

I don't want to get back to the game to found out that raiders put fire on my Vault and now roaches feed on the corpses!

mamoui

The amount of port begging in this thread is disgusting.

That said... how the fuck do I play this game. I get that each dweller has a SPECIAL rating, but how do I know what room to place them in? What do the numbers mean when I hover a dweller over a room? There seems to be +n, -n, and n. I have no idea what I'm doing.

When you select a room it will show you what special stat is important for that room. It will be a the botom next to the amount of resource produice per time unit. For exemple power is strengh and water is perception.
When you drag a dweller into a room it will show you how it influence the total stat of the room (+/- n)

Anyone actually had their dwellers give birth yet? Nearly all the women in my vault are pregnant and none have given birth. Yes, I have enough room for new dwellers.

katagai

The amount of port begging in this thread is disgusting.

That said... how the fuck do I play this game. I get that each dweller has a SPECIAL rating, but how do I know what room to place them in? What do the numbers mean when I hover a dweller over a room? There seems to be +n, -n, and n. I have no idea what I'm doing.

Y9AjTAP.jpg

When you tap a facility/room, the icon in that location is the stat that facility uses. When you hover your dwellers over a location, the number represents how much of that stat they have. The higher the better. You'll only see the +/- when that facility/room is at full capacity. A + means they have a higher stat than a dweller already placed in that facility, a - means they have less of that stat and therefore shouldn't be placed there.

How do you get more residents to show up at your door? I've been stuck at 13 residents for ages, and can't really send anyone else out to explore as my base is barely keeping up with the low stat individuals I have now.

Increasing dweller capacity doesn't seem to affect it, so I'm guessing it's completely random. I've only seen one person arrive in the past two or so hours. Only other way to get dwellers is through breeding and random loot in the lunch boxes.

Thanks for the answer, should I worry about fires, raiders or roaches while on background?

I don't want to get back to the game to found out that raiders put fire on my Vault and now roaches feed on the corpses!

I've only seen notifications for when resources are ready to be collected, so not entirely sure if attacks/infestations will happen in the background.

BloodR0se

I am frankly disgusted that Bethesda have chosen to disregard a significant part of their customer base with this one. Hopefully the customer will not further this later on.

Ambient80

How do you raise a SPECIAL stat of a dweller? I have several of the unique dwellers but I'm not seeing how to raise stats on anyone and I have one of those quests to do it. It may happen automatically but I'm not sure.

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
Read the manual in the menu. New dwellers will arrive when you have a radio station.

Doesn't really help when you need 20 dwellers to unlock the radio station. You still have to either wait a while or pay money to get it.

But yeah, it doesn't seem like the type of game you marathon play. Just set stuff up and let it run for a day before upgrading your vault again, and checking in every few hours to get some goodies. Even without stamina or build times to worry about, the pacing is about the same as most F2P games thanks to them limiting your number of dwellers.

Doesn't really help when you need 20 dwellers to unlock the radio station. You still have to either wait a while or pay money to get it.

But yeah, it doesn't seem like the type of game you marathon play. Just set stuff up and let it run for a day before upgrading your vault again, and checking in every few hours to get some goodies.

While true, I feel like my resources are fare more drained if I leave the game and come back after a little bit. The game itself implies that resources stop draining a little bit after you close the game, but in my experience that hasn't been true so far.

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
While true, I feel like my resources are fare more drained if I leave the game and come back after a little bit. The game itself implies that resources stop draining a little bit after you close the game, but in my experience that hasn't been true so far.

Maybe it continually makes the rate of draining slower the longer you're away?

EDIT: BTW, my first vault baby was just born, with a 3 hour countdown to what I assume is adulthood. So seems like it's about 6 hours to get a new Dweller through birth.

ekim

But yeah, it doesn't seem like the type of game you marathon play. Just set stuff up and let it run for a day before upgrading your vault again, and checking in every few hours to get some goodies. Even without stamina or build times to worry about, the pacing is about the same as most F2P games thanks to them limiting your number of dwellers.

Well you would have to wait and give birth to more babys I guess.

I guess I'll be expecting my babies to start arriving soon then. It's gonna get real crowded in here real quick.

Also, just got an objective to let a dweller wander the wasteland for two hours. That seems crazy to me. the most I've been sending my guys out for is like half an hour. Has anyone had their dudes come back with supplies yet? My logs say that they find supply caches and everything, but they've never come back with anything.

valeo

I am frankly disgusted that Bethesda have chosen to disregard a significant part of their customer base with this one. Hopefully the customer will not further this later on.

Yeah, disgusting that they released a free game with minimal micro transactions. Terrible.

Lunar FC

Raider attack literally seconds after I sent away my only guy with armor and a gun to explore. Is there anyway I can make my pregnant women happier?

Jb

Messed around with it a little bit... I don't think it's gonna hold my attention for very long. The concept is interesting but the moment to moment gameplay is fairly dull, from what I've seen at least.

I'm surprised at how much I enjoy this game, I had my first shelter-baby and saw my only armed character die in the wastelands... I revived him though.

Raider attack literally seconds after I sent away my only guy with armor and a gun to explore. Is there anyway I can make my pregnant women happier?

I've gotten very lucky, I got two miniguns from lunchboxes and have one on a permanent vault guard while the other gets passed around as needed. I'm also pretty much maxed out on resources at all times, I just lack dwellers :(

Dimefan3

I like the card/lunchbox mechanic - it's like opening a MTG pack and getting surprised by the bonuses.

When do the pregnant dwellers give birth?

Mik2121

I'm only playing on a couple 3-min breaks I've taken but for some reason my shelter is missing tons of resources. I got two dinners and two water thingies with people with the highest SPECIAL stats for each room available, but I just can't keep up!

SmokyDave

It's definitely slick. Not sure how much I'll play given it's not my type of thing, but I'm certainly charmed so far. Suspect I'll make a shite overseer though, my dwellers probably have a matter of hours to live.

Heh, now there's a question for the ages.

Maitiú

I'm only playing on a couple 3-min breaks I've taken but for some reason my shelter is missing tons of resources. I got two dinners and two water thingies with people with the highest SPECIAL stats for each room available, but I just can't keep up!

Two things that helped me: focusing on the goals that reward you lunchboxes (they all did for me in the beginning) and upgrading my production rooms. I haven't looked into it, but I'd imagine that getting same-production rooms built side by side gives some kind of production bonus. There's certainly a visual bonus as they create more complex environments.

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
Did anyone actually watch the conference? He said both iOS and Android would be out at time of Fallout 4 release but iOS was out today. There is an Android version and will be out by November. iOS just get exclusivity which I guess is shit but stop acting like there isn't an Android version.

Mik2121

Did anyone actually watch the conference? He said both iOS and Android would be out at time of Fallout 4 release but iOS was out today. There is an Android version and will be out by November. iOS just get exclusivity which I guess is shit but stop acting like there isn't an Android version.

Dod you actually watch the conference?

The iOS and Android companion apps for Fallout 4 will be released at the same time as Fallout 4. This game is separate.

Lunar FC

What conference were you watching?

lil

Anyone actually had their dwellers give birth yet? Nearly all the women in my vault are pregnant and none have given birth. Yes, I have enough room for new dwellers.

I have 2 born. It should only take about 3 hours iirc? And they skip right past the baby stage, they're kids and there's this bar that shows how close they are to adulthood.

JJD

If there is on thing that bothers me is that the rush percentage seems broken. I always try it when it's around 30% and the overwhelming majority of tries failed. On my last 10 tries I was only successful on 3, I counted. It seems like the percentage is inverted.

Still there is no reason to not try it since failing doesn't penalize you that much.

I don't understand how some people are having trouble making their vault dwellers happy. I have roach infestations and raiders attack all the time. Rushing resources generation usually fails and starts a fire, and my guys are like 96% happy. I really don't know what makes then happy or sad.

My only complaints so far are the goals stop giving you lunchboxes pretty quickly. I've got nothing but caps for a while now. Not sure how I get more equipment without paying real money. And also none of the events seem to do much damage. There was a raider attack and they basically just ran around mildly annoying people until the one guy with a gun killed them.

Rainy

Banned
If there is on thing that bothers me is that the rush percentage seems broken. I always try it when it's around 30% and the overwhelming majority of tries failed. On my last 10 tries I was only successful on 3, I counted. It seems like the percentage is inverted.

Still there is no reason to not try it since failing doesn't penalize you that much.

I don't understand how some people are having trouble making their vault dwellers happy. I have roach infestations and raiders attack all the time. Rushing resources generation usually fails and starts a fire, and my guys are like 96% happy. I really don't know what makes then happy or sad.

Yeah since you posted I've just rushed even if the danger percentage is high, barely a risk really.

Maitiú

I think putting them on the job they do best makes them happy. Keeping all your resources at a minimal level helps, as does making babies.

I think the rush percentage is only one factor (perhaps this is decided partly on the worker's SPECIALs), and the other factor is the time remaining until you harvest your resource. Or you were just really unlucky.

My only complaints so far are the goals stop giving you lunchboxes pretty quickly. I've got nothing but caps for a while now. Not sure how I get more equipment without paying real money.

I keep sending my strongest guy out to the wilderness with the best armor and weapon I had, and on one trip he found a new outfit, on another he found new armor and a gun (separate events within the journey). I finally just got a new lunchbox goal with a harsh requirement that I keep someone wandering for 10 hours straight. So yeah, the pacing is slowing down a lot, even though rooms can be built immediately. Oh well, it'll be fun to toy with a bit more before it becomes a waiting room.

Top Bottom