• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Family of Florida boy killed by Neighborhood Watch seeks arrest

Status
Not open for further replies.
Leaked by the department? What the fuck.

It seems so:

The Sanford Police Department insists they did not authorize the release of information about the suspension, but acknowledged there may have been a leak within the agency.

City Manager Norton Bonaparte, Jr. said the source of the leak would be investigated and the person responsible could be fired. The department has already seen its Chief step down after the tragic death of Trayvon Martin.

“We do not condone these unauthorized leaks of information,” Bonaparte said.

Dash27

Do you honestly believe that Narrative 1 and 2 are equal in extremes?

Yeah both are pretty out there, not just this thread but other comments I've seen.

Even here though there was that cartoon of Zimmerman as a KKK member having lynched Martin and then others of some twitter post by some random guy saying Trayvon beat up Zimmerman. Craziness

remist

I'm having a hard time reading that document, but I think each page is a call.

Anyway here is where I got 46 calls from, can anyone contradict this?

http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2012/03/22/george-zimmerman-s-history-of-911-calls-a-complete-log.html

I think the initial reports like the one Dram posted were wrong, but I'm not sure.

edit

Must not feed the contrarian. Also brb calling the cops on all the kids walking home from school today. Wait I should only do it for the black children.

Someone is in denial. Lol at stating the facts making you a contrarian.

KHarvey16

I'm having a hard time reading that document, but I think each page is a call.

Anyway here is were I got 46 calls from can anyone contradict this?

http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2012/03/22/george-zimmerman-s-history-of-911-calls-a-complete-log.html

I think the initial reports like the one Dram posted were wrong, but I'm not sure.

Not to harp on this, but let's take a look at number 36 on that list. It says:

36. April 22, 2011 – 7:09 p.m.
Type: TEL
Subject: Suspicious activity
Report: Juvenile black male “apprx 7–9” years old, four feet tall “skinny build short blk hair” last seen wearing a blue t-shirt and blue shorts

From ecoshifting's link, this event is detailed on page 37. Now, I know this might make me a contrarian troll, but look for yourselves. The description is given in the first entry and the second contains the reason for the call, which reads:

"...is walking alone & is not supervised on busy street....concerned for well being."

Why did the listing at the daily beast not include any reference to this, but simply left it as "suspicious activity"? Were they working from a different source?

I've seen this referred to more than once and in light of additional details from ecoshifting's link it seems rather...hypocritical.

It's not an analogy. It's a statement of fact with illustrative examples. People who are heavier are generally stronger than people who are lighter. They tend to have more muscle mass and leverage. I'm surprised you find this controversial.

What you think is "reason enough to defend yourself" is not what Florida law defines as self-defense. This is what happens when people try to be Perry Mason of the internets without knowing what the fuck they're talking about.

I didn't say it wasn't threatening. I am using precise legal terms. Imminent unlawful force. Not just "threatening." A jury could find, depending on who they believe, that Zimmerman was not threatening imminent use of unlawful force. If, for example, if Zimmerman was saying "hey there, I just want to ask you a few questions."

I'll keep talking about the law as it applies to this particular situation, you can keep talking about rape or whatever you're on about.

Didn't expect much of a defense from you and you didn't disappoint. You are clueless about the law, and your generalizations about fighting are hilariously naive.

Riggs

Banned
Wow this thread certainly is bringing out the best in people. He'll go down with 2nd degree agrivated murder most likely. Not even getting into it with people here this is ugly.

Timedog

good credit (by proxy)
I just tried to CSI the audio for the tape with Trayvon screaming and it's a fucking mess but it might be possible to identify the voice and possibly even extract the screaming voice from the rest of the sounds in the call. It would take a long time.

Ponn

Banned
Which news source?

Saw a quick blurb on local news channel. Didn't see anything on their website but google found it on Fox News site (yea yea, I know).

SANFORD, Fla. – The mother of slain Florida teenager Trayvon Martin has filed papers seeking to trademark two slogans based on his name.
The U.S. Patent and Trademark Office filings by Sybrina Fulton are for the sayings "I Am Trayvon" and "Justice For Trayvon." The applications were filed last week.
The applications say the trademarks could be used for such things as DVDs and CDs. Attorneys who filed the papers did not immediately respond Monday to emails seeking comment.

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/us/2012/03/26/trayvon-martins-mom-files-trademark-papers/#ixzz1qGr2qzwQ

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2012/03/26/trayvon-martins-mom-files-trademark-papers/

Onemic

It's not an analogy. It's a statement of fact with illustrative examples. People who are heavier are generally stronger than people who are lighter. They tend to have more muscle mass and leverage. I'm surprised you find this controversial.

What you think is "reason enough to defend yourself" is not what Florida law defines as self-defense. This is what happens when people try to be Perry Mason of the internets without knowing what the fuck they're talking about.

I didn't say it wasn't threatening. I am using precise legal terms. Imminent unlawful force. Not just "threatening." A jury could find, depending on who they believe, that Zimmerman was not threatening imminent use of unlawful force. If, for example, if Zimmerman was saying "hey there, I just want to ask you a few questions."

I'll keep talking about the law as it applies to this particular situation, you can keep talking about rape or whatever you're on about.

You should've just said you were pulling a KHarvey and I would have just left it at that.

Riggs

Banned
I just tried to CSI the audio for the tape with Trayvon screaming and it's a fucking mess but it might be possible to identify the voice and possibly even extract the screaming voice from the rest of the sounds in the call. It would take a long time.

Do you really need to? You can hear the kid screaming for his life, I mean I could at least. Just had ear buds listening to it through my phone. But I guess it couldn't hurt, they will do it in court anyway (I'd hope).

Az

I am fairly good with that kind of stuff. If I have time today, I'll look into it.

Figboy79

Aftershock LA
After being beaten to the ground by Towering Black Football Player Trayvon Martin, Zimmerman reluctantly pulls the trigger in self-defense. Martin falls back and lets loose a mighty African laugh. "So it begins!" he cries (translated from thug language).

The transponder on his wrist contacts the White House, where Operation Caliphate sits waiting.

"Your majesty," cries an aide (likely homosexual), "Agent Martin, codenamed Fire of Allah, has completed his mission!"

Imam Hussein Obama clasps his hands and smirks, a "jazz cigarette" in his mouth. "And now the honkies will pay."
Lmao. Thank you for that. Today has been a shitty day for many reasons, and this thread certainly wasn't helping my mood, but that post brought a genuine, deep belly laugh from me. Thank you!

Stop using weight as a factor. That would get laughed out of court. I'm 210 pounds and I have no doubt that I could kick the crap out of someone that was 500 pounds. Agility, speed, and intelligence are more valuable in a fight. More than likely this is going to come down to self-defense. A good lawyer could argue that if Trayvon did in fact attack Zimmerman, he was doing so in self-defense because the dude was clearly (and admittedly) stalking him.

I'm sorry I gotta dredge this back up, but this is plain bullshit. The amount of weight someone has on another individual is brought up in assault cases constantly. Size differentials are constantly a topic, in either direction, either to play it as "how could the defendant do this at this stature/weight" or "the defendant definitely overpowered their victim." I don't know what courts you've been or trials you've seen but uh the size and power of suspected aggressors is in indeed brought up at trial.

I'm sorry I gotta dredge this back up, but this is plain bullshit. The amount of weight someone has on another individual is brought up in assault cases constantly. Size differentials are constantly a topic, in either direction, either to play it as "how could the defendant do this at this stature/weight" or "the defendant definitely overpowered their victim." I don't know what courts you've been or trials you've seen but uh the size and power of suspected aggressors is in indeed brought up at trial.

The point was that the weight differential isn't reason enough to say that Trayvon couldnt have possibly knocked the bigger man down and beat on him. It's completely possible and happens all the time. Show me a lawyer that would use as a defense in court that Trayvon couldnt possibly have attacked Zimmerman because of the weight differential and I'll show you a shitty lawyer.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
Even with how shitty a police department they have shown themselves to be, the claim that the police department as a whole leaked the story about Trayvon being suspended from school for having a plastic baggie with Marijuana residue, is just that a claim. We know the story got out to the news, but we don't have any conclusive proof that this was a calculated effort by the police department to lower Trayvon's credibility, or it was the work of a lone policemen, or possibly even someone else (Someone at his school?).

This is starting to remind me of the Rutgers case where a lot of stuff that was reported in the news was false.

Dash27

And it's barely mentioned that Zimmerman is a Police Academy reject.

What was he rejected for? Definitely fits with my view of him though.

Must not feed the contrarian. Also brb calling the cops on all the kids walking home from school today. Wait I should only do it for the black children.

Not contrarian. That's pretty messed up for media to leave that bit out. What he did was bad enough without all this spin.

Dram

Even with how shitty a police department they have shown themselves to be, the claim that the police department as a whole leaked the story about Trayvon being suspended from school for having a plastic baggie with Marijuana residue, is just that a claim. We know the story got out to the news, but we don't have any conclusive proof that this was a calculated effort by the police department to lower Trayvon's credibility, or it was the work of a lone policemen, or possibly even someone else (Someone at his school?).

This is starting to remind me of the Rutgers case where a lot of stuff that was reported in the news was false.

http://www.wesh.com/r/30764028/detail.html

Investigators said the information was given to the Orlando Sentinel from a leak within the police department.

"We do not condone these unauthorized leaks of information," said City Manager Norton Bonaparte, Jr. "Acting Chief Scott will be doing an internal investigation within the Sanford Police Department as this type of action compromises the integrity of the law enforcement agency which has pledged to uphold the law."

The information also claims that Martin was suspended from school in Miami for having marijuana residue in his bag.

Martin's family attorney, Benjamin Crump, confirmed that claim to be true, but also criticized the inconsistent pipeline of information from the police.

Kettch

"Acting Chief Scott will be doing an internal investigation within the Sanford Police Department as this type of action compromises the integrity of the law enforcement agency which has pledged to uphold the law."

Haha, all the crap the department has pulled and this is what they think compromises their integrity?

Trojita

That of course would rule out the possibility that it came from the school if the investigators are right. There is still a difference between a disgruntled policemen leaking the information to a newspaper and a concerted effort by the police department. The media is painting it as the latter and people are lapping it up. I'd like to know the truth.

Stop using weight as a factor. That would get laughed out of court. I'm 210 pounds and I have no doubt that I could kick the crap out of someone that was 500 pounds. Agility, speed, and intelligence are more valuable in a fight. More than likely this is going to come down to self-defense. A good lawyer could argue that if Trayvon did in fact attack Zimmerman, he was doing so in self-defense because the dude was clearly (and admittedly) stalking him.

Welp, we can tell who's never been in a fight. Unless you are a trained fighter, intelligence has fuck all to do with the outcome of a fight as you're filled with adrenaline, instinct and sometimes rage.

This ain't the movies man

That of course would rule out the possibility that it came from the school if the investigators are right. There is still a difference between a disgruntled policemen leaking the information to a newspaper and a concerted effort by the police department. The media is painting it as the latter and people are lapping it up. I'd like to know the truth.

Jesus harlem shaking Christ, do you need a live feed of the person carrying a report outside of the police station? If their own damn investigators are saying it come from within the department, it came from within the department. It's like people will do anything to deny that there is clear bias amongst the Sandford PD. this is not the first time they've been under fire for questionable procedure involving minorities.

What was he rejected for? Definitely fits with my view of him though.

Not contrarian. That's pretty messed up for media to leave that bit out. What he did was bad enough without all this spin.

His criminal record probably didn't help him. The picture the news media are using of Zimmerman is one of his mug shots.

After being beaten to the ground by Towering Black Football Player Trayvon Martin, Zimmerman reluctantly pulls the trigger in self-defense. Martin falls back and lets loose a mighty African laugh. "So it begins!" he cries (translated from thug language).

The transponder on his wrist contacts the White House, where Operation Caliphate sits waiting.

"Your majesty," cries an aide (likely homosexual), "Agent Martin, codenamed Fire of Allah, has completed his mission!"

Imam Hussein Obama clasps his hands and smirks, a "jazz cigarette" in his mouth. "And now the honkies will pay."

And with this..... the thread is complete.

Trojita

Jesus harlem shaking Christ, do you need a live feed of the person carrying a report outside of the police station? If their own damn investigators are saying it come from within the department, it came from within the department. It's like people will do anything to deny that there is clear bias amongst the Sandford PD. this is not the first time they've been under fire for questionable procedure involving minorities.

Are you reading what I wrote clearly? There is a difference between saying the Police Department intentionally leaked information and a leak came from the Police Department.

lol

Welp, we can tell who's never been in a fight. Unless you are a trained fighter, intelligence has fuck all to do with the outcome of a fight as you're filled with adrenaline, instinct and sometimes rage.

This ain't the movies man

This is so wrong it's hilarious. Intelligence hones instinct. Being intelligent and being a good fighter are not mutually exclusive. Show me a street fight where one dude is full of blind stupid rage and the other fighter is intelligent enough to know how to exploit an idiot that's full of blind stupid rage, and my money is on the smart guy. You dont have to be a trained fighter to know how to control your feelings in a fight. But we're way off topic yet again.

On topic, if this dude never gets charged he's going to have a hard time going back to a normal life. They're gonna have to Bartman this guy.

Big-E

Ya I couldn't believe what that dude posted. Weight over a certain threshold might not matter but even a 240 pound fat ass would be able to handle a kid the size of Martin without much issue at all unless Zimmerman was the weakest man in the world.

LM4sure

Banned
Sorry, I'm late to the party, but was just reading the article on cnn.com

Zimmerman, according to the Sentinel report, later told police that he lost sight of Martin and was returning to his SUV when the teen approached him. The two exchanged words, according to Zimmerman, who said Martin then punched him in the nose.
On the ground, Zimmerman said he was repeatedly punched and had his head slammed into the sidewalk, according to the Sentinel report. He began yelling, he told police.

So is the general consensus that this guy is lying about this? It seems that if he was getting beat to death he has every right to defend himself, no?

Kinitari

Black Canada Mafia

So is the general consensus that this guy is lying about this? It seems that if he was getting beat to death he has every right to defend himself, no?

If he was being punched in the face repeatedly, and got his head smashed into the pavement/sidewalk - why are there no pictures of his damage and why did he not go to the hospital? 'He' was screaming for a LONG time if you hear the tapes. All the while, the kid was punching him and smashing his head against the floor - he fires a warning shot and the kid keeps punching him and slamming his head on the ground, then he shoots the kid.

He comes out of that with no visible wounds (at least nothing he's willing to show anyone), not going to the hospital? 'He' was screaming for a while, if throughout all of this he was getting his ass handed to him, he'd be pretty fucked up.

Two things are growing increasingly bothersome to me about this story.

1) The celebrities who are all jumping on the bandwagon to "lend their support" to the cause. I'm watching CNN right now and Chaka Kahn is on Peirce Morgan's show pimping a song she recorded as a tribute to this story. She makes a point of saying she's not doing this to make any money. Sure, but you're certainly interested in pimping your career in general, aren't you? Does anyone even know who you are anymore?

2) Trayvon's case is horrible, but I can't help but feel upset by the fact that if all of these celebrities paid this much attention to the problems of the black community on a regular basis, maybe we wouldn't have all these black kids murdering each other in the streets of our cities on a daily basis. I live near Chicago, and kids like Trayvon die on a near daily basis from guns. Yet I don't see Chaka Khan showing up to talk about that. I don't see Lebron and the Miami Heat players talking about that. It's only when they can get their names mentioned in a high profile case, that suddenly they're all aboard the statement train. There is so much that could be done to stamp out nonsense in the inner cities, like "no snitching", and other such insanity.

Onemic

ya it's bullshit as it totally contradicts the 911 call with him leaving his car to go after Martin. That and the fact that if Martin broke his nose and repeatedly slammed his head on the ground the police would have sent him to the hospital immediately.

Two things are growing increasingly bothersome to me about this story.

1) The celebrities who are all jumping on the bandwagon to "lend their support" to the cause. I'm watching CNN right now and Chaka Kahn is on Peirce Morgan's show pimping a song she recorded as a tribute to this story. She makes a point of saying she's not doing this to make any money. Sure, but you're certainly interested in pimping your career in general, aren't you? Does anyone even know who you are anymore?

2) Trayvon's case story is horrible, but I can't help but feel upset by the fact that if all of these celebrities paid this much attention to the problems of the black community on a regular basis, maybe we wouldn't have all these black kids murdering each other in the streets of our cities on a daily basis. I live near Chicago, and kids like Trayvon die on a near daily basis from guns. Yet I don't see Chaka Khan showing up to talk about that. I don't see Lebron and the Miami Heat players talking about that. It's only when they can get their names mentioned in a high profile case, that suddenly they're all aboard the statement train. There is so much that could be done to stamp out nonsense in the inner cities, like no snitching, and other such insanity.

Chaka is totally doing that for her career, which is in the shitters.

Ya I couldn't believe what that dude posted. Weight over a certain threshold might not matter but even a 240 pound fat ass would be able to handle a kid the size of Martin without much issue at all unless Zimmerman was the weakest man in the world.

No lawyer would be stupid enough to use as his defense that Trayvon was too small to have attacked and overpowered Zimmerman. Certainly not a lawyer that enjoys being employed or winning cases. And if the eyewitness accounts are accurate, Trayvon did exactly that, which in my opinion he had the right to do if he felt Zimmerman was indeed stalking him via car and then on foot. And by all accounts Zimmerman admitted to following Trayvon to police dispatchers and Trayvon admitted to his girlfriend that he felt he was being followed.

If he was being punched in the face repeatedly, and got his head smashed into the pavement/sidewalk - why are there no pictures of his damage and why did he not go to the hospital? 'He' was screaming for a LONG time if you hear the tapes. All the while, the kid was punching him and smashing his head against the floor - he fires a warning shot and the kid keeps punching him and slamming his head on the ground, then he shoots the kid.

He comes out of that with no visible wounds (at least nothing he's willing to show anyone), not going to the hospital? 'He' was screaming for a while, if throughout all of this he was getting his ass handed to him, he'd be pretty fucked up.

He went to the hospital the next day. How bad could the wounds have been though if he waited a full day and they werent even listed in the initial police report? That's the clarification that I'm waiting for. If the police on the scene justified that it was self-defense, why not mention the injuries to the "victim"?

Big-E

People do think he is lying. It is hard to imagine that Zimmerman would be in a position where he couldn't get the kid off of him but was able to struggle for a gun and shoot the kid in the chest. Everything we know about this case puts doubt on Zimmerman's word and points to this being at the very least, manslaughter.

Who would believe anything that Zimmerman says?

LM4sure

Banned

Wait a minute. From the same article:

As to Zimmerman, "his back appeared to be wet and was covered in grass (and he) was also bleeding, from the nose and back of his head," according to the same [police] report.

So there was some type of scuffle. Stupid of him not to go to the hospital to have this documented if he was actually injured.

This is so wrong it's hilarious. Intelligence hones instinct. Being intelligent and being a good fighter are not mutually exclusive. Show me a street fight where one dude is full of blind stupid rage and the other fighter is intelligent enough to know how to exploit an idiot that's full of blind stupid rage, and my money is on the smart guy. You dont have to be a trained fighter to know how to control your feelings in a fight. But we're way off topic yet again.

On topic, if this dude never gets charged he's going to have a hard time going back to a normal life. They're gonna have to Bartman this guy.

How much does intelligence matter when you're in close combat and your opponent outweighs you by 100 lbs?

There's a reason they have different weight divisions in fighting sports. You don't know what you're talking about dude

Let's see. I'm suppose to believe the 150 pound kid walking home with skittles and ice tea got the jump on the 250 pound guy with a restraining order for domestic abuse from his ex fiance, called the police 80-something fucking times, walks around with a god damn loaded gun and slowly follows kids because "they look drugged up or something", has had charges for assaulting a cop (expunged so they magically never happened!).

Yea, I'm going to go with ole Zim panicking and pulling a story about how he was assaulted out of his ass. Listen to the 911 tapes...does that sound like a grown ass man screaming for his life or a young scared kid?

FFS, even *IF* Trayvon asked Zimmerman wtf he was doing he was well god damn within his right to ask. Can't follow someone like that then be shocked and scared when they call you on your shit.

At the end of the day a child is fucking dead because he was black and wearing a God damned hoodie. How that's acceptable to anyone on GAF just stuns me...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom