• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Famitsu Sales: 12/6/21 – 12/12/21

Kerotan

Stocks seems to be very limited for PS5, which is understandable.

in my country, people are queuing up for PS5 preorder since many months ago still has yet to get their hands on it, its crazy.
Apparently in Japan stock is meeting demand 🤣🤣

Anyway the level of consoles is pathetic. But what can you do, nobody seen this shortage coming.

Kerotan

Looks like Switch is finally hitting saturation as numbers are down from last year. It is still selling incredibly well considering Japan's aging population. Something like 50% of the country is over the age of 60.
Microsoft should probably try to get more units in Japan, but with gamepass on PCs, and with gaming on PC becoming a far more popular platform than 4k consoles, thanks to the youtube/minecraft/apex legends/MMO generation of gamers in Japan, it maybe that MS knows what they are doing.
I know I am seeing more and more XBox gamepass cards for sale both online and in stores. Japan is traditionally cash based society and so people don't have credit cards, hence game download cards are immensely popular.

I don't think Sony has any idea of its identity at this point.

Only Nintendo making a home console only system could cause that to happen.
Yep. We all know Nintendo isn't stupid enough to try that again. Especially not one with real power behind it.

Azelover

Titanic was called the Ship of Dreams, and it was. It really was.
Just that they had more units on the shelves than they sold. I do think there is a ceiling for Switch and it can't be far off. They are at like 21 million in Japan. That is insane.
That's exactly what I said about two years ago. But obviously I was wrong. The DS sold about 33 million IIRC. So it could maintain this level for another year or so.

Also there's always the possibility that a new record can be set. So it might go on a little longer than we're expecting. But of course it won't sell at this level for more than three or four years. That wouldn't make any sense. At that point Nintendo should have a new console out.

Last edited:

Deerock71

I'm not sure that completely abandoning Japan is a winning strategy on the long term, but that sure is a bold move.
Animated GIF

lachesis

[NSW] Animal Crossing: New Horizons (Nintendo, 03/20/20) – 23,786 (7,010,861)

7+ million in one country (and not even counting digital sales, if I'm not mistaken). That's some pretty insane number. Damn.
Depending on the digital sales, it could very well be #1 already (According to 2008 Famitsu - GB Pokemon R/G/B is #1 at 10M, GB Pokemon Gold Silver #2 at 7.9M)

Cutty Flam

Banned
Just that they had more units on the shelves than they sold. I do think there is a ceiling for Switch and it can't be far off. They are at like 21 million in Japan. That is insane.
If they can keep up the stock, but I'll be damned if it doesn't look like they were holding back the floodgates until now.
With all the big games coming up in 2022, 2023, 2024 it's likely that this is only the calm before the final storm. 2022 is going to be a fun year for gamers across the board

Pokemon Legends: Arceus
Zelda Breath of the Wild 2
Splatoon 3
Advance Wars 1+2
Bayonetta 3
(?) Xenoblade Chronicles 3 (maybe)
Hallow Knight: Silksong
Kirby and the Forgotten Land
Mario + Rabbids: Sparks of Hope
Metroid Prime 4
Monster Hunter Rise: Sunbreak
Triangle Strategy
Sonic Frontiers
(?) Next Donkey Kong game (maybe)
(?) Next Mario game (maybe)

7+ million in one country (and not even counting digital sales, if I'm not mistaken). That's some pretty insane number. Damn.
Depending on the digital sales, it could very well be #1 already (According to 2008 Famitsu - GB Pokemon R/G/B is #1 at 10M, GB Pokemon Gold Silver #2 at 7.9M)
Irc digital was above 2milion. It is very doable. Amazing really.

Coolwhhip

Neophyte
With all the big games coming up in 2022, 2023, 2024 it's likely that this is only the calm before the final storm. 2022 is going to be a fun year for gamers across the board

Splatoon 3
Advance Wars 1+2
Bayonetta 3
Metroid Prime 4
Triangle Strategy
Sonic Frontiers

The famous calms before the storms for Nintendo. Which always turn out to be calms before the calms.

Splatoon 3
Advance Wars 1+2
Bayonetta 3
Metroid Prime 4
Triangle Strategy
Sonic Frontiers

Don't forget Gal Gun: Double Peace - Horny Trinity Edition

XnALLSm.jpg

Nautilus

Banned
Because Europe and America are much bigger territories, and therefore much more important.

They're in the business of making the most money possible with what they have available. Not impressing some fanboys on GAF 😁.
The thing you forgot is that not only you can do both/all three( like Nintendo is doing), but also that Japan is the second biggest country for videogames, which Sony would be losing, and thus "not making the most money".

What it is with you or other users that CANT simply admit that Sony is screwing up with Japan? I dont see no one saying that the Wii U was some masterplan done by Nintendo to lower everyone guard just so that people end up more impressed by the Switch. The Wii U had some amazing games, but it was a terrible, terrible failure.

The PS5 is currently behind the PS4, which only sold 9 million in japan, and its also currently behind the Wii U of all consoles. Not only that, but its software sales are just abysmal, probably the worst ever(compared to any Nintendo or Sony's major console). Those are just facts.

And the shortage situation wont get better until 2023, which would mean the PS5 miserable state will continue for at least one extra year. And you guys cant even admit that yeah, Sony completely ignored and sidelined Japan, potentially so killing any potential sales in the long run, just to have a bit more stock elsewhere?

Thats why me and everyone else makes fun of people that say that " Sony is sending consoles to where their "true competitor" is".Not only because it is incredibly funny this constant denial, but its just too sad to be unable to admit that yeah, the situation is shit and it doesnt look good for Sony anyway you look at it.

Hezekiah

Banned
The thing you forgot is that not only you can do both/all three( like Nintendo is doing), but also that Japan is the second biggest country for videogames, which Sony would be losing, and thus "not making the most money".

What it is with you or other users that CANT simply admit that Sony is screwing up with Japan? I dont see no one saying that the Wii U was some masterplan done by Nintendo to lower everyone guard just so that people end up more impressed by the Switch. The Wii U had some amazing games, but it was a terrible, terrible failure.

The PS5 is currently behind the PS4, which only sold 9 million in japan, and its also currently behind the Wii U of all consoles. Not only that, but its software sales are just abysmal, probably the worst ever(compared to any Nintendo or Sony's major console). Those are just facts.

And the shortage situation wont get better until 2023, which would mean the PS5 miserable state will continue for at least one extra year. And you guys cant even admit that yeah, Sony completely ignored and sidelined Japan, potentially so killing any potential sales in the long run, just to have a bit more stock elsewhere?

Thats why me and everyone else makes fun of people that say that " Sony is sending consoles to where their "true competitor" is".Not only because it is incredibly funny this constant denial, but its just too sad to be unable to admit that yeah, the situation is shit and it doesnt look good for Sony anyway you look at it.
I said with what they've got. Nintendo has a portable console which is what Japan has moved on to for whatever reason. Sony doesn't have a small and portable console. And Japan is one country with some very specific tastes.

Comparing it to PS4 is pointless because Sony has come to learn that as Japan's relevance to them decreases, revenue and profits continue to increase. Europe and America are king. And for good reason.

There is no reason for Sony to spend big money making AAA games specifically for the Japanese market. That would be stupid. Even as it is, Sony makes and funds plenty of games that appeal worldwide - Ghosts of Tsushima came out last year, and in August we got the Directors Cut. Same goes for Death Stranding. Final Fantasy 7 remake was a timed exclusive. GT7 is out in March. Final Fantasy 16 is another exclusive. From will be making another PS5 exclusive. So despite all the wailing, there are still franchises that appeal to the Japanese audience being released on PS5 - they just don't like the hardware. Which makes all the whining moot.

No it's really just a few fanboy idiots on GAF 'making fun'. Cry about software all you want, but you're ignoring the obvious - most Japanese gamers are focused on portable/mobile gaming. And PS5 is the most in-demand Playstation ever regardless.

Nautilus

Banned
I said with what they've got. Nintendo has a portable console which is what Japan has moved on to for whatever reason. Sony doesn't have a small and portable console. And Japan is one country with some very specific tastes.

Comparing it to PS4 is pointless because Sony has come to learn that as Japan's relevance to them decreases, revenue and profits continue to increase. Europe and America are king. And for good reason.

There is no reason for Sony to spend big money making AAA games specifically for the Japanese market. That would be stupid. Even as it is, Sony makes and funds plenty of games that appeal worldwide - Ghosts of Tsushima came out last year, and in August we got the Directors Cut. Same goes for Death Stranding. Final Fantasy 7 remake was a timed exclusive. GT7 is out in March. Final Fantasy 16 is another exclusive. From will be making another PS5 exclusive. So despite all the wailing, there are still franchises that appeal to the Japanese audience being released on PS5 - they just don't like the hardware. Which makes all the whining moot.

No it's really just a few fanboy idiots on GAF 'making fun'. Cry about software all you want, but you're ignoring the obvious - most Japanese gamers are focused on portable/mobile gaming. And PS5 is the most in-demand Playstation ever regardless.
No, Japan doesnt hate home consoles and loves only handhelds. If that was true, then the Switch Lite would have been the best selling model for the last 2 years, because it would be portable and far cheaper. The Vita wouldnt have crashed and burned.And what happened? The OG model kept selling, much better than the Lite version. Why? Because the Japanese loves 2 things about it: the software and hardware. Software is quite obvious, but the hardware is loved because it can be used both as a home console and a handheld.

Everything I have said has been based on data that has been available for years now. Its not because japanese hate stationary consoles, its because Sony hasnt done anything exciting with the hardware for 2 generations by now. Its because Sony doesnt have software that entices japanese players. Ghost of Tsushima did well, but its a western game with a japanese setting. Death Stranding was a "dissapointment" everywhere. And given the PS5 sales and zero stock of PS4, FF XVI and GT7 will probably perform poorly there because Sony never fostered an audience to begin with. How can you have an audience when you dont even send hardware to Japan for japanese to buy?

Get out of this forum for a few minutes to actually see what people are saying to actually realize that you belong to a very exclusive club of babbons incapable of criticising a company you love and instead wishes to live in a fantasy world where Nintendo lives in a bubble that their actions has zero consequences to their competitors, or that Japan hates anything that isnt tiny and portable.

Just stop this fetish you have about Sony in Japan, because at this point its just sad. Or keep at it, brighting my mood and bringing a smile on my face by seeing you act as a clown. Your choice.

Hezekiah

Banned
No, Japan doesnt hate home consoles and loves only handhelds. If that was true, then the Switch Lite would have been the best selling model for the last 2 years, because it would be portable and far cheaper. The Vita wouldnt have crashed and burned.And what happened? The OG model kept selling, much better than the Lite version. Why? Because the Japanese loves 2 things about it: the software and hardware. Software is quite obvious, but the hardware is loved because it can be used both as a home console and a handheld.

Everything I have said has been based on data that has been available for years now. Its not because japanese hate stationary consoles, its because Sony hasnt done anything exciting with the hardware for 2 generations by now. Its because Sony doesnt have software that entices japanese players. Ghost of Tsushima did well, but its a western game with a japanese setting. Death Stranding was a "dissapointment" everywhere. And given the PS5 sales and zero stock of PS4, FF XVI and GT7 will probably perform poorly there because Sony never fostered an audience to begin with. How can you have an audience when you dont even send hardware to Japan for japanese to buy?

Get out of this forum for a few minutes to actually see what people are saying to actually realize that you belong to a very exclusive club of babbons incapable of criticising a company you love and instead wishes to live in a fantasy world where Nintendo lives in a bubble that their actions has zero consequences to their competitors, or that Japan hates anything that isnt tiny and portable.

Just stop this fetish you have about Sony in Japan, because at this point its just sad. Or keep at it, brighting my mood and bringing a smile on my face by seeing you act as a clown. Your choice.
I didn't say Japan hates home consoles. I said as a country they have moved on to portables and mobile gaming. It's really not that complicated.

In your really narrow world view maybe.

You seem infatuated with this idea that people need to be criticising Sony the way you do. Just look at this thread. Nope, I can critically analyse the situation and see it for what it is. Meanwhile you're here talking about fetishes and clowns, showing everybody that you're about 14 years old. Or worse, an adult with the mental age of a 14 year-old.

Nautilus

Banned
I didn't say Japan hates home consoles. I said as a country they have moved on to portables and mobile gaming. It's really not that complicated.

You seem infatuated with this idea that people need to be criticising Sony the way you do. Just look at this thread. Nope, I can critically analyse the situation and see it for what it is. Meanwhile you're here talking about fetishes and clowns, showing everybody that you're about 14 years old. Or worse, an adult with the mental age of a 14 year-old.
And yet, your critical analysis didn't provide a single fact as to why anyone would consider Sony's situation in Japan aceptable. Yes, Sony is doing great elsewhere, but considering Japan vital importance to the industry and the history of success that Sony had there, and that the Switch is having a success as a home and handheld console, its clear that its not that Japan moved on from home consoles, but only by (mostly) of what Sony offers.

And now, most of your clownish arguments revolve around trying to insult me. And its just too funny. Honestly, its just too fun to see people that just cant accept a constructive criticism squirm like this, and act like a clown calling people kids and whatnot. And while its a bit infuriating, its also really entertaining.

So yeah, Sony is failing due to their own fault in Japan, and not because the market suddenly stopped carinh about them anymore, and Ill keep pointing out that fact while it remains true. And while at it, I'll enjoy the show performed by the entertainers that wears red noses.

Hezekiah

Banned
And yet, your critical analysis didn't provide a single fact as to why anyone would consider Sony's situation in Japan aceptable. Yes, Sony is doing great elsewhere, but considering Japan vital importance to the industry and the history of success that Sony had there, and that the Switch is having a success as a home and handheld console, its clear that its not that Japan moved on from home consoles, but only by (mostly) of what Sony offers.

And now, most of your clownish arguments revolve around trying to insult me. And its just too funny. Honestly, its just too fun to see people that just cant accept a constructive criticism squirm like this, and act like a clown calling people kids and whatnot. And while its a bit infuriating, its also really entertaining.

So yeah, Sony is failing due to their own fault in Japan, and not because the market suddenly stopped carinh about them anymore, and Ill keep pointing out that fact while it remains true. And while at it, I'll enjoy the show performed by the entertainers that wears red noses.
There was guy here who got banned a few weeks ago who used to get really excited about everything Nintendo, brag about how good their sales were, and post lots of graphs and tables to demonstrate their superiority.

I guess you're taking up his mantle 😄

Nautilus

Banned
There was guy here who got banned a few weeks ago who used to get really excited about everything Nintendo, brag about how good their sales were, and post lots of graphs and tables to demonstrate their superiority.

I guess you're taking up his mantle 😄
Why?Im just being honest with the facts and whats going on. Its undeniable that Sony is indeed doing poorly in Japan and Nintendo is doing fine.

Or that was another clownish attempt at a threat? Didnt fully read the rules, but doubt that is well seen by others.

Woopah

LIke any other market Japan goes wherever the most desirable software is

When that software was on consoles it bought consoles. When the software was on handhelds they bought handhelds. Now it's on a hybrid so they buy the hybrid.

Sony's challenge in Japan is a software one not a hardware one. Putting out a portable device wouldn't achieve anything for them.

Because Europe and America are much bigger territories, and therefore much more important.

They're in the business of making the most money possible with what they have available. Not impressing some fanboys on GAF 😁.

Remember guys, this massive shitposter is the dude the mods decided was worth keeping over Bodomism who actually backed some of his arguments with data. This is the kind of idiotic analysis that seems to be favored nowadays. What is that sticky good for when it led to this kind of retarded argument being deemed kosher?

Last edited:

kingfey

Banned

America and Europe money is basically much stronger than Japanese money. They can also milk more money from western, compared to japan. Especially when COD, Fifa, GtaV, fortnite, warzone, f2p makes more money for them in the west.

Apparently in Japan stock is meeting demand 🤣🤣

Anyway the level of consoles is pathetic. But what can you do, nobody seen this shortage c

This argument always falls flat on its ass because Sony had a portable that sold like ass.

smbu2000

Is this what Japanese's gamers love now?
The fuck happened to the old games?
What do you mean now?
These kind of games have been around for awhile now. I remember seeing the first Gal Gun game on the Xbox 360 in Japan a long time ago.
I think it also released on PS3 not too long after that, too.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gal_Gun

Looks like these smaller type games are now moving onto Switch (and PC).

Last edited:
Update Software 1-30....has this ever happened before??? :messenger_beaming:

Software Sales (followed by lifetime sales)

1. [NSW] Pokemon Brilliant Diamond / Shining Pearl (The Pokemon Company, 11/19/21) – 130,772 (2,046,040)
  2. [NSW] Mario Party Superstars (Nintendo, 10/29/21) – 53,824 (459,001)
  3. [NSW] Big Brain Academy: Brain vs. Brain (Nintendo, 12/03/21) – 33,092 (70,020)
  4. [NSW] Minecraft (Microsoft, 06/21/18) – 26,256 (2,336,145)
  5. [NSW] Animal Crossing: New Horizons (Nintendo, 03/20/20) – 23,786 (7,010,861)
  6. [NSW] Mario Kart 8 Deluxe (Nintendo, 04/28/17) – 21,819 (4,191,268)
  7. [NSW] Super Smash Bros. Ultimate (Nintendo, 12/07/18) – 20,364 (4,552,841)
  8. [NSW] Momotaro Dentetsu: Showa, Heisei, Reiwa mo Teiban! (Konami, 11/19/20) – 14,709 (2,448,283)
  9. [NSW] Ring Fit Adventure (Nintendo, 10/18/19) – 13,765 (2,956,485)
  10. [NSW] Pokemon Sword / Shield (The Pokemon Company, 11/15/19) – 12,825 (4,227,847)
  11. [NSW] Super Mario 3D World + Bowser’s Fury (Nintendo, 02/12/21) – 9,281 (941,162)
  12. [NSW] Clubhouse Games: 51 Worldwide Classics (Nintendo, 06/05/20) – 7,082 (844,288)
  13. [NSW] Disney Magical World 2: Enchanted Edition (Bandai Namco, 12/02/21) – 6,937 (20,285)
  14. [NSW] Eiga Sumikko Gurashi: Aoi Tsukiyo no Mahou no Ko – Game de Asobo! Eiga no Sekai (Nippon Columbia, 12/02/21) – 6,364 (14,581)
  15. [NSW] Minecraft Dungeons Ultimate Edition (Microsoft, 10/26/21) – 5,683 (18,286)
  16. [NSW] Super Mario Maker 2 (Nintendo, 06/28/19) – 5,390 (1,155,240)
  17. [NSW] Fortnite Minty Legends Pack (Epic Games, 11/02/21) – 4,911 (30,299)
  18. [NSW] Taiko no Tatsujin: Drum ‘n’ Fun (Bandai Namco, 07/19/18) – 4,888 (652,329)
  19. [NSW] Splatoon 2 + Octo Expansion (Nintendo, 10/08/21) – 4,635 (24,391)
  20. [NSW] Ace Angler: Nintendo Switch Version (Bandai Namco, 07/25/19) – 4,291 (640,087)
  21. [NSW] Splatoon 2 (Nintendo, 07/21/17) – 4,288 (3,977,241)
  22. [NSW] Game Builder Garage (Nintendo, 06/11/21) – 4,204 (261,211)
  23. [NSW] WarioWare: Get It Together! (Nintendo, 09/10/21) – 4,132 (174,192)
  24. [NSW] Super Mario Odyssey (Nintendo, 10/27/17) – 4,091 (2,285,091)
  25. [NSW] Shin Megami Tensei V (Atlus, 11/11/21) – 3,970 (184,388)
  26. [NSW] New Pokemon Snap (The Pokemon Company, 04/30/21) – 3,957 (302,710)
  27. [NSW] Super Mario Party (Nintendo, 10/05/18) – 3,857 (2,022,352)
  28. [NSW] The Battle Cats Unite! (Ponos, 12/03/20) – 3,762 (86,017)
  29. [NSW] FIFA 2022 Legacy Edition (Electronic Arts, 10/01/21) – 3,679 (40,643)
  30. [NSW] Miitopia (Nintendo, 05/21/21) – 3,589 (264,015)

Last edited:

1. [NSW] Pokemon Brilliant Diamond / Shining Pearl (The Pokemon Company, 11/19/21) – 130,772 (2,046,040)
  3. [NSW] Big Brain Academy: Brain vs. Brain (Nintendo, 12/03/21) – 33,092 (70,020)
  5. [NSW] Animal Crossing: New Horizons (Nintendo, 03/20/20) – 23,786 (7,010,861)
  8. [NSW] Momotaro Dentetsu: Showa, Heisei, Reiwa mo Teiban! (Konami, 11/19/20) – 14,709 (2,448,283)
  10. [NSW] Pokemon Sword / Shield (The Pokemon Company, 11/15/19) – 12,825 (4,227,847)
  11. [NSW] Super Mario 3D World + Bowser’s Fury (Nintendo, 02/12/21) – 9,281 (941,162)
  12. [NSW] Clubhouse Games: 51 Worldwide Classics (Nintendo, 06/05/20) – 7,082 (844,288)
  13. [NSW] Disney Magical World 2: Enchanted Edition (Bandai Namco, 12/02/21) – 6,937 (20,285)
  14. [NSW] Eiga Sumikko Gurashi: Aoi Tsukiyo no Mahou no Ko – Game de Asobo! Eiga no Sekai (Nippon Columbia, 12/02/21) – 6,364 (14,581)
  15. [NSW] Minecraft Dungeons Ultimate Edition (Microsoft, 10/26/21) – 5,683 (18,286)
  18. [NSW] Taiko no Tatsujin: Drum ‘n’ Fun (Bandai Namco, 07/19/18) – 4,888 (652,329)
  20. [NSW] Ace Angler: Nintendo Switch Version (Bandai Namco, 07/25/19) – 4,291 (640,087)
This is the third time this year. This may be the most significant considering we are in the most important time of the year for retailers. Sony having zero presence at this crucial sales time will have a serious effect on the big retailers retail space allocation in the future. This will definitely put the fear in Capcom in regards to the next monster hunter.

Last edited:
This is the third time this year. This may be the most significant considering we are in the most important time of the year for retailers. Sony having zero presence at this crucial sales time will have a serious effect on the big retailers retail space allocation in the future. This will definitely put the fear in Capcom in regards to the next monster hunter.

Its not as if there are a bunch of 3rd party games on the top 30 either, its mostly nintendo games.

It’s also the most casual of Nintendo games, no fire emblem, no metroid, no zelda. Whats gonna happen is more japanese publishers gearing their games towards western audiences. The next big capcom game on nintendo is gonna get crushed by mario party and pokemon next year also

Last edited:

kingfey

Banned
What do you mean now?
These kind of games have been around for awhile now. I remember seeing the first Gal Gun game on the Xbox 360 in Japan a long time ago.
I think it also released on PS3 not too long after that, too.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gal_Gun

Looks like these smaller type games are now moving onto Switch (and PC).
I am just surprised to see those thighs socks as extra content 😳.
There was ecchi games. But not this much ecchi.

Hezekiah

Banned
This argument always falls flat on its ass because Sony had a portable that sold like ass.
Harking back to a portable that was released a decade ago.

Unfortunately the Vita didn't get a great deal of support from Sony. But the PS5 does - it's just that many Japanese gamers don't want a big home console. And it doesn't make sense for Sony to spend big resources solely targeting Japan.

Nautilus

Banned
Threat...WTF are you talking about? 💩

Go and finish your homework 😁
Well, seeing that not one time in this discussion with you you presented facts, and it was obvious that your clownish intentions was always to rile people up and be just the obsolute worst a user can be, making threats and childish claims, so I'll be ending this discussion here.

Not only because its beneath me to argue with a user that uses emojis to make a point like a 14 year old, but also because time will prove my point that PS5 will (most likely) be down significally compared to PS4 in Japan.

Have a nice day, my fellow Sony enthusiast.

Hezekiah

Banned
Well, seeing that not one time in this discussion with you you presented facts, and it was obvious that your clownish intentions was always to rile people up and be just the obsolute worst a user can be, making threats and childish claims, so I'll be ending this discussion here.

Not only because its beneath me to argue with a user that uses emojis to make a point like a 14 year old, but also because time will prove my point that PS5 will (most likely) be down significally compared to PS4 in Japan.

Have a nice day, my fellow Sony enthusiast.
Rile people up = saying that Japan prefers portables.

That's clownish talk 😅😅

Nautilus

Banned
I just realized that the PS5 will probably maintain this level of sales until mid January. Because if Sony didnt send stock to Japan by now, they wont until the holidays are over. This will be some depressing weeks for the PS5 and PS4.

Hopefully when January comes, Sony decides that Japan is more of a priority for them and send enough stock so that the PS5 at least outsells the 3DS.

kingfey

Banned
Why?Im just being honest with the facts and whats going on. Its undeniable that Sony is indeed doing poorly in Japan and Nintendo is doing fine.

Or that was another clownish attempt at a threat? Didnt fully read the rules, but doubt that is well seen by others.
Have you seen the sales for both ps5/xsx,xss consoles this month? It's under 1m sales. This isn't limited to Japan only. Both consoles are under selling, due to shortages.

Nintendo will win in software market, because it's hand held. Anyone who has has ps4/ps5 and switch, will buy their games on Switch, because it's portable, and they can play anywhere they go.

Same thing with ps5/xss. People will use xss as gamepass machine, while ps5 as exclusive games. In the long run, ps5 will be just be Sony exclusive, if gamepass keep getting day1 games.

That is how software sales work.

Last edited:

Nautilus

Banned
Have you seen the sales for both ps5/xsx,xss consoles this month? It's under 1m sales. This isn't limited to Japan only. Both consoles are under selling, due to shortages.

Nintendo will win in software market, because it's hand held. Anyone who has has ps4/ps5 and switch, will buy their games on Switch, because it's portable, and they can play anywhere they go.

Same thing with ps5/xss. People will use xss as gamepass machine, while ps5 as exclusive games. In the long run, ps5 will be just be Sony exclusive, if gamepass keep getting day1 games.

That is how software sales work.
No one here never denied that the consoles, Switch included, are supply limited. It was fairly obvious from the NPD and Famitsu data.

What the users of this thread have been arguing is that doing 1400 sales this week, 1800 sales last week is nothing. Thats not being supply limited, thats just being ignored. Sony made the clear and counciouss decision that, the 10 k that they certainly could have sent to Japan to have some kind of presence and to send a message to japanese devs that "We still care about Japan", NA and Europe markets are more important to them, and its more important that Sony sells 550k during november there and what seems like 5 k here in japan, instead of doing 500k in the US and 50k in Japan, because Im fairly sure that any stock sent to Japan would be cleared out.

And that sends a clear message that Japan is way, way back in Sony mind. And thats the bulk of our argument here. Some people who dont like how Sony is doing in Japan right now comes up with a myriad of excuses, so the discussion gets dilluted, but thats the essence of what we have been saying.

Nintendo is winning software not because the Switch is also portable(Switch is a hybrid console) but rather because not only is a far more attractive piece of hardware, because it is a hybrid console(so two for the price of one. If handheld was so much more important, the Lite sales would have been much higher than the OG model), but because the software appeals much more to them. Nintendo first party titles are unrivaled, and alot of japanese focused games are flocking to the Switch, either being multiplat or just straight up exclusives, like Momotaro(the train game by Konami). So its not just because of the hardware.

And thats where the frustration with Sony in Japan comes from. Sony has been moving away from Japan since the PS3. And sales have shown that. More and more of their first party titles are not japanese centric. Third party games and the deals that Sony did offset this trend up to a point, but we reached a point that Sony simply bled way too much, and addind to that a Nintendo that didnt screw up this time like they did with the Wii U, and you get the situation we jave with Sony in Japan nowadays.

Was the decision to focus on the west better for Sony? Hell yeah. But there were consequences, and losing Japan was one of them.

Orbital2060

I just realized that the PS5 will probably maintain this level of sales until mid January. Because if Sony didnt send stock to Japan by now, they wont until the holidays are over. This will be some depressing weeks for the PS5 and PS4.

Hopefully when January comes, Sony decides that Japan is more of a priority for them and send enough stock so that the PS5 at least outsells the 3DS.
Its not really about the hardware. Software is where the money is made, and the PS5 is out of the competition in Japan. Only a miracle will turn that around for Sony now (in Japan).

Maybe its the new PS5 game prices that puts people there off from buying PS5 games. Or the games on the platform no longer resonate with the Japanese audience. Or both.

But the software is tracking below even the worst case scenario you could assume before launch. And thats where the money is made. And thats where people should focus their attention if they want to see how the PS5 is doing. Even if they do get more stock out, the charts show theres no connection between available stock and software sales. There is simply no demand whatsoever for PS5 software in Japan.

c1lT603.gif

Nautilus

Banned
Its not really about the hardware. Software is where the money is made, and the PS5 is out of the competition in Japan. Only a miracle will turn that around for Sony now (in Japan).

Maybe its the new PS5 game prices that puts people there off from buying PS5 games. Or the games on the platform no longer resonate with the Japanese audience. Or both.

But the software is tracking below even the worst case scenario you could assume before launch. And thats where the money is made. And thats where people should focus their attention if they want to see how the PS5 is doing. Even if they do get more stock out, the charts show theres no connection between available stock and software sales. There is simply no demand whatsoever for PS5 software in Japan.
Well yes, I agree completely. Its just that, more hardware sold usually means more software sold(even if yes, PS5 software sales are abysmal for the install base it already has).

But yeah, I agree with you.

Never during holidays. Nintendo is dominating on an unprecedented level.

Top Bottom