• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Famitsu Sales [2/13-2/19] Ps5 #1 and Hogwarts Legacy (PS5) exceededs 100,000

The PS5 pushing hardware AND software. We love to see it.

tumblr_inline_oprsbxP01T1qhjwdg_400.gifv
And this is just physical. Who knows how the ratio is in Japan right now for ps5

It's 4 weeks now?
And I'm absolutely calm :messenger_grinning:
Just calling out the stupidity of those people who thought that when the PS5 was heavily supply constrained that was representative of actual demand.
Then it became "but it doesn't sell software! The units must go all to China and to the grey market, no japanese is actually interested in the product!". And here we go, two PS5 games in the top two positions.
Let's see how things go in the next weeks.
But OLED Switch is also supply constrained per Nintendo so does that not count?

So PS5 has sold most for 4 weeks… good stuff. It seems a bit desperate to be celebrating outselling a six year old console (which is also supply constrained) tbh. PS5 now has much, much better stock so it’s selling much better than it was before and it will tail off once that initial demand is met. This is essentially a new launch period for PS5 after Japan’s soft launch so there would be something really wrong if it wasn’t selling well after being extremely supply constrained in Japan for the past two years since launch.

I want PS5 (and Series S/X) to sell as well as possible Worldwide so we get more current gen only games and rid the industry of the cross gen stuff but I’m not getting carried away by a month of good PS5 sales like it’s suddenly going to sell 30 million units in Japan. It will sell well until Final Fantasy then tail right off and go back to a much lower baseline of say 30k per week (which is still decent for an incredibly large, power hungry home console in Japan).

yazenov

Let's compare the profits for both companies then.

Last 3 CY(2020-2022) profits
Nintendo - $14.5bn
SIE - $8.2bn

Keep the same energy and post the stats for this year and next year.

It's going to be a long generation for you since its the PS5's time to shine now.

Those periods were the decline of the PS4, and the extreme shortages of PS5. Now its time for the Switch's decline.

Last edited:

TLZ

Banned
But OLED Switch is also supply constrained per Nintendo so does that not count?

a six year old console (which is also supply constrained)
It is not supply constrained. At all. Don't believe their lies. You can find switches everywhere. It is simply in decline at this stage and it is normal.

a month of good PS5 sales like it’s suddenly going to sell 30 million units in Japan.
No one said that. But if it happens I'll be pleasantly surprised. I don't want home consoles to die in Japan.

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
It's 4 weeks now?
Just calling out the stupidity of those people who thought that when the PS5 was heavily supply constrained that was representative of actual demand.
Then it became "but it doesn't sell software! The units must go all to China and to the grey market, no japanese is actually interested in the product!". And here we go, two PS5 games in the top two positions.
Exactly, lol.

Its a theory, that's whatever.

But when stock has increased dramatically.....one cannot just dismiss that the console actually being available is helping. I didn't expect to still see that theory with PS5 games actually charting...and yet.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
This is why MS needs to be able to buy the largest [western] 3rd party publisher in the world and play takeaway with their Win OS monopoly money; because they're irrelevant in Japan [eastern].

Their political stylized words, not mine.

Right, this guy gets it. :messenger_ok:

Orbital2060

Those are not great numbers for PS5 titles in Japan, though, if you consider there is supposed to be 2.xx million consoles sold in Japan.

It will be interesting to see if FF16 can crack 300k copies without bundles.

Last edited:
Anyone know Forspoken's LTD in Japan so far ?

Asking for sales in a sales thread for a new AAA game.

Meanwhile one post of many, on another site, in a thread with the same title as this one.....

x7JAvlj.png

Your constant slick trolling and obsession with Forspoken failing is embarrassing. Stop acting innocent.

On topic, good numbers for Hogwarts. Loving the game. PS5 beasting without constraints as well.

Last edited:

Nautilus

Banned
PS5 pent up demand continues.Let's see how long it lasts.

Switch sales are just sad. But understandable as it is its 7th year on the market.

sandbood

Banned
Keep the same energy and post the stats for this year and next year.

It's going to be a long generation for you since its the PS5's time to shine now.

Those periods were the decline of the PS4, and the extreme shortages of PS5. Now its time for the Switch's decline.
Let's combined PS4 total profits since 2013 to 2022 plus PS5 total profits vs Nintendo since Switch era in 2017

SIE since 2013 profits - 1,881bn yen

Nintendo since 2017 profits - 2,453bn usd

Nintendo Switch is more profitable than all Sony gaming systems combined.

tkscz

Nintendo bet on Switch being on market another year...this is going to get brutal by end if Summer for them. I guess they didn't learn from the Wii
We've reached the point where I don't think they give a damn. It can sell under expectation and still net them one hell of a profit.

They learned from the Wii if you look at Switch's overall yearly sells. Switch is still doing leaps and bounds better than the Switch did when 2010 hit and the fad was over and the Wii's numbers dropped significantly. The Wii U was announced the following year. The Switch kept it's moment up way longer than the Wii did.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Meanwhile one post of many, on another site, in a thread with the same title as this one.....

x7JAvlj.png

Your constant slick trolling and obsession with Forspoken failing is embarrassing. Stop acting innocent.

On topic, good numbers for Hogwarts. Loving the game. PS5 beasting without constraints as well.
adamsapple adamsapple

Why don't you ever ask how many sales MS games are racking up?

Oh wait.

Nautilus

Banned
It's 4 weeks now?
These two PS5 games are on top because:

1) They are brand new releases

2) Switch doesn't have big new releases since what, Pokemon?

Plus, if you are celebrating a PS5 software comeback with a title doing 30k in its second week, just... lol

Don't get me wrong, that's good for Hogwarts, but not as a game in Japan in general.

PS5 hardware sales are doing great right now because of pent up demand people.Like you all were saying, there were barely any PS5 in Japan. Now Sony, after ignoring Japan for over 2 years, finally started to send stock over there.So let's see how long they can keep that up.Or in another words: Let's see how big that demand is.

PS5 software continues to be horrible.Not as bad as 2021 mind you(Because PS5 are starting to finally sell), but they are still abysmal. For anyone thinking this is good, the only thing I can say its:

lol

Tazzu

At this point, Sony could bundle loli love pillows with PS5s and they'd still be seething.

Last edited:

nial

Gold Member
First it was the hardware, now the two best selling games are PS5 games.
The narratives that some Nintendo fanboys obsessed with japanese sales wanted to believe in are basically collapsing under their feet.
Anyone who wasn't clearly delusional knew that once the stock issues were resolved, sales were going to be VERY different. They really wanted the PS5 to be the Wii U of Sony.

Those are not great numbers for PS5 titles in Japan, though, if you consider there is supposed to be 2.xx million consoles sold in Japan.

It will be interesting to see if FF16 can crack 300k copies.
PS5 has the 2 best selling physical games in Japan this week. With digital, the gap is probably bigger.

It's not amazing but it's also not a tragedy. 6 months ago PS5 selling close to 100k a week and having the 2 best selling games in a single week in japan was unthinkable.

Punished Miku

Gold Member
Anyone who wasn't clearly delusional knew that once the stock issues were resolved, sales were going to be VERY different. They really wanted the PS5 to be the Wii U of Sony.
It's not about being delusional. Trends in Japan for a while now have included more emphasis on mobile, traditionally not liking gigantic physical systems, and not liking a lot of the western games that are huge sellers - including most all of Sony's 1st party output right now. I'm surprised it's selling as well as it is. Nintendo was destroying them for a while.

blackjon24

Glad to see something other than first party nintendo games doing well in japan.

Wild Hearts feels very low for a new hunting game. I get that the install base isn't that big and digital sales are a bigger part of sales than they used to be but vita hunting games used to murder in japan, even the developers previous previous hunting games did a lot better.

Last edited:

Gambit2483

tkscz tkscz It's taking longer to reach the cliff but that cliff IS coming. Once you lose momentum and mindshare in this market it's incredibly hard to get back. MS, Sony and Nintendo ALL know this firsthand

Orbital2060

Does anyone have a total for first party physical copies sold on PS5? I trawled IB but couldnt find it atm. But Famitsu released totals for overall third-party games sold in Japan in calendar year end of 2021 to end of 2022 which shows how tough it is to gauge exactly how well PS5 is doing in Japan.

From Nocturnal@IB
Famitsu Sales: Third Parties CY 2022 (2021 Dec 27 - 2022 Dec 25)
  1. [NSW] Minecraft (Microsoft) - 548.415
  2. [[NSW] Monster Hunter Rise + Sunbreak (Capcom) - 389.582 / NEW
  3. [PS4] Elden Ring (From Software - 356.711 / NEW
  4. [NSW] Momotaro Dentetsu (Konami) - 283.433
  5. [NSW] Dragon Quest X Offline (Square Enix) - 252.028 / NEW
  6. [NSW] eBaseball Powerful Pro Baseball 2022 (Konami) - 247.866 / NEW
  7. [NSW] Dragon Quest Treasures (Square Enix) - 198.403 / NEW
  8. [NSW] Demon Slayer: Kimetsu no Yaiba (Aniplex) - 178.877 / NEW
  9. [NSW] Touken Ranbu Warriors (EXNOA) - 146.087 / NEW
  10. [[NSW] Fire Emblem Warriors: Three Hopes (Koei Tecmo) - 145.507 / NEW
  11. [PS5] Elden Ring (From Software) - 141.741 / NEW
  12. [NSW] Triangle Strategy (Square Enix) - 137.514 / NEW
  13. [NSW] Live A Live (Square Enix) - 132.083 / NEW
  14. [NSW] Taiko no Tatsujin: Rhythm Festival (Bandai Namco) - 115.251 / NEW
  15. [PS4] Earth Defense Force 6 (D3Publisher) - 107.786 / NEW
  16. [PS4] eBaseball Powerful Pro Baseball 2022 (Konami) - 107.222 / NEW
  17. [NSW] Human: Fall Flat (Teyon Japan) - 95.754
  18. [PS4] Dragon Quest X Offline (Square Enix) - 81.676 / NEW
  19. [NSW] Fishing Spirits 2 (Bandai Namco) - 80.024 / NEW
  20. [NSW] Persona 5 Royal (Atlus) - 79.683 / NEW
  21. [NSW] The Battle Cats Unite! (Ponos) - 78.807
  22. [NSW] Dragon Quest XI S (Square Enix) - 76.258
  23. [NSW] Taiko no Tatsujin: Drum 'n' Fun! (Bandai Namco) - 72.501
  24. [NSW] FIFA 23: Legacy Edition (Electronic Arts) - 64.465 / NEW
  25. [PS4] Crisis Core: Final Fantasy VII Reunion (Square Enix) - 62.346 / NEW
  26. [PS5] Crisis Core: Final Fantasy VII Reunion (Square Enix) - 61.400 / NEW
  27. [NSW] Crisis Core: Final Fantasy VII Reunion (Square Enix) - 61.133 / NEW
  28. [NSW] Minecraft Dungeons (Microsoft) - 59.800
  29. [NSW] Fitness Boxing 2: Rhythm & Exercise (Imagineer) - 58.543
  30. [NSW] NieR: Automata (Square Enix) - 57.655 / NEW
  31. [NSW] SD Gundam: Battle Alliance (Bandai Namco) - 57.492 / NEW
  32. [NSW] Tactics Ogre: Reborn (Square Enix) - 55.082 / NEW
  33. [PS4] Stranger of Paradise: Final Fantasy Origin (Square Enix) - 53.557 / NEW
  34. [NSW] Dragon Ball Z: Kakarot (Bandai Namco) - 51.911
  35. [NSW] Sonic Frontiers (Sega) - 51.758 / NEW
  36. [NSW] Super Bomberman R (Konami) - 50.894
  37. [NSW] Disney Magical World 2: Enchanted Edition (Bandai Namco) - 50.718
  38. [NSW] Fishing Spirits (Bandai Namco) - 49.810
  39. [NSW] FIFA 22: Legacy Edition (Electronic Arts) - 49.025
  40. [NSW] 13 Sentinels: Aegis Rim (Atlus) - 48.081 / NEW
  41. [PS4] Call of Duty: Modern Warfare II (Activision) - 47.610 / NEW
  42. [NSW] Nobunaga's Ambition: Rebirth (Koei Tecmo) - 46.766 / NEW
  43. [PS4] Soul Hackers 2 (Atlus) - 46.725 / NEW
  44. [PS4] FIFA 23 (Electronic Arts) - 46.483 / NEW
  45. [PS4] Dying Light 2: Stay Human (Spike Chunsoft) - 46.346 / NEW
  46. [NSW] Taiko Risshiden V DX (Koei Tecmo) - 44.532 / NEW
  47. [PS4] The Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Dark II (Nihon Falcom) - 43.900 / NEW
  48. [NSW] Harvestella (Square Enix) - 43.861 / NEW
  49. [NSW] Witch on the Holy Night (Aniplex) - 43.223 / NEW
  50. [NSW] Fortnite: Minty Legends Pack (Epic Games) - 43.015
NSW - 37
PS4 - 11
PS5 - 2

TOTAL 2022: 5451340
NSW: 4.247.837 (77.9%)
PS4: 1.000.362 (18.3%)
PS5: 203.141 (3.7%)

TOTAL 2021: 9.506.095
NSW: 7.911.588 (83.2%)
PS4: 1.454.571(15.3%)
PS5: 139.936 (1.5%)

TOTAL 2020: 8.093.172
NSW: 4.381.106 (54.1%)
PS4: 3.712.066 (45.9%)

2022 was a bad year for third parties, we see that there is a huge decline YoY of 42.7% within the Top 50 titles.
Switch was worse off with a 46.3% decline YoY but only 3% down compared to 2020.

There was no big game that outperformed expectations leaving Minecraft as #1 on the physical charts, while Rise is likely the third party that shipped the most units with eshop sales likely being x1.5-2 larger than physical in 2022.

Elden Ring's big result couldn't help the PS Ecosystem as it also dropped to a new low as it went down a further 25% YoY.

This year is shaping up a lot better for third parties compared to 2022 on the Switch we have a new Momotaro while PS5 will look forward to FFXVI which is the first title that should surpass 300K physical on the system without bundles.

nial

Gold Member
It's not about being delusional. Trends in Japan for a while now have included more emphasis on mobile, traditionally not liking gigantic physical systems, and not liking a lot of the western games that are huge sellers - including most all of Sony's 1st party output right now. I'm surprised it's selling as well as it is. Nintendo was destroying them for a while.
They were for an exact reason, stock issues. And it's not like one has to be dead and the other thriving, they can coexist together and I never believed traditional home consoles would go away in Japan, with these charts proving me right. At this point, what we need to see is whether PS5 can sustain this momentum for years to come, because it's selling better than both the PS4 and PS3 in the same timeframe.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Does anyone have a total for first party physical copies sold on PS5? I trawled IB but couldnt find it atm. But Famitsu released totals for overall third-party games sold in Japan in calendar year end of 2021 to end of 2022 which shows how tough it is to gauge exactly how well PS5 is doing in Japan.

From Nocturnal@IB

Woah, had no idea Minecraft was still selling this much in Japan as of end of 2022.

tkscz

tkscz tkscz It's taking longer to reach the cliff but that cliff IS coming. Once you lose momentum and mindshare in this market it's incredibly hard to get back. MS, Sony and Nintendo ALL know this firsthand
Not disagreeing with you there. The sales are dropping for sure, while I don't believe we'll get an announcement this year, the successor is in the works I have no doubt about that. I was just saying the Switch does not compare to the drop the Wii saw three years into it's life.

I am genuinely surprised that the PS5 is having PS4 level sales in Japan so far, seeing how mobile heavy the country has become.

Last edited:
Wouldn't surprise me if PS5 sold 3 million this year in Japan, it is difficult to know if demand remains high or falls a little but at the moment they are immediately selling every console they produce. By the way the PS4's peak year was 1.94 million in Japan (2016), the PS5 will beat that easily.

Last edited:

NeoIkaruGAF

Gold Member
Jeez, what a sad show of a first page in this thread.
And some people take it personally when somebody says that this place is unhealthily obsessed with sales. Ten posts in and it’s console warring already.

Top Bottom