• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fantasy Book Recommendation Thread - OP Thinks Jordan was horny and Martin Sucks

Status
Not open for further replies.

dionysus

Yaldog
banner.jpg

I read a lot of fantasy books, probably upwards of 30 a year counting rereads. I've read so much that any time I head to B&N I spend hours just trying to find a title that appeals to me that I haven't already read. And recently I have been reading a bunch of crap. So GAF, help your fellow enthusiast out! I like GAF's tastes in games, I envision this thread being a thread where we give impressions and recommendations to each other.

I believe that the OP should make a huge contribution to the thread discussion and serve as a springboard for the rest of the thread, so what follows is a huge list (work in progress) of all the authors I have read. I am an opinionated asshole with very specific tastes, so feel free to write a counterpoint impression and I will be happy to include it in the OP alongside mine. I will also try to add impressions of books I haven't read to the OP if space remains.

If anyone cares, I like character driven fantasy with only a few characters developed from their point of view. I am turned off by sword & sorcery fiction that focuses on describing fantasy battles or stuff that's plot is focused on politics.

OP's Recommendations: The Best of The Best

Lois Bujold - The Curse of Chalion | Series - Yes (happy days are here again) only read Curse of Chalion
For Cazaril, life has certainly been a bitch. Unfortunately for him, things don't get any better when he takes the job of tutor to the young Royacy (princess.) Follow him through a character driven story about a man struggling to do his duty. Lois explores familiar themes such as predetermination vs. free will, duty, the hold of the past, sacrifice, and humanity's relationship with the metaphysical. What Lois absolutely nails, and what separates this book from the rest, is the sympathetic relationship that develops between the reader and Cazaril that leaves the reader unable to put the book down until the story is finished. Nominated for the Hugo Award for Best Novel.
Wikipedia|OP's Impressions
Rating: Excellent

Jim Butcher - The Codex Alera | Series - 4 books so far and continuing
Tavi is a young man without magic in a world where everyone has it. In this series, we follow him from his late teens into his early 20s as his indomitable will and ingenuity time after time get him caught up in shaping the destiny of the human nation, even as he is looked down on for his deficiency. Great characterization, good dialogue, likable characters, and a vibrant world save this series from its plot straight from Beginners Guide to Fantasy Plots.
He is really the orphaned son of a dead prince! No FUCKING WAY!
A much more light hearted romp through a fantasy land than Bujold's masterpiece.
Wikipedia|Op's Impressions

The Rest

The Granddaddy - LoTR
We've all read it, not wasting our time.

Alan Campbell - The Deepgate Codex Series - 2 books and ongoing
One of my favorite new authors. Alan creates a world where humanity would probably be better off without the gods. The gods in his world seem to represent the worst in humanity: pettiness, jealousy, ambition, and indifference. In this world a descendant of a fallen angel and his female assassin friend get caught up in the politics of organized religion and the struggles between fallible gods and maybe something worse. Campbell paints a vivid world that is wholly unique and his own. One example being a city of chains hanging over an abyss containing a hungry god. Campbell is a master of ambiguity and nuance. No archetypes in this series. A must read for anyone who enjoys a darker fantasy setting.

David Eddings - The Belgariad and The Mallorean Series - 5 books in each series
A great starter fantasy from a very successful fantasy author. A great way to introduce the adolescent to fantasy. Follow Garion in his journey to manhood as he also battles the evil god Torak for all of humankind (universekind). Pretty generic when it comes to plot and characters: Thief (check), beautiful thief (check), princess (check several times), old grumpy sorcerer (check), dumb barbarian (check), gallant knight (check), poor kitchen boy (check), etc. etc. This would seem like a diverse cast, but that would be wrong. The main flaw of this series is that every one of the characters has the exact same personality, good natured sarcasm. I MEAN THE EXACT SAME PERSONALITY. Eddings apparently only knows how to write one character, so he thought if he through 25 at you with different job titles no one would notice. I noticed. If you are looking for a series that has mastered the boy-becomes-man-and-saves-the-world formula, this is a great series.
Wikipedia|OP's Impressions coming soon
Rating: Good

C. S. Friedman - The Coldfire Trilogy Series - 3 books
What if humanity's psychology and innermost thoughts had the ability to change the world around us? That is the question Friedman attempts to answer in this tortured tale of two men's souls. Damien, a holy warrior from the Church, and a sinister being known as the Hunter must save their planet from an evil born from the darkest depths of humanity's collective soul. A horror born from the strange magic that brings all of man's thoughts into play in reality. Can the hunter be redeemed? Or will his evil destroy the good man Damien once was and hopes to be again? Thematically compelling, the series sometimes struggles with making the reader empathize with either Damien or the Hunter. Yet strangely, many of the supporting characters are extremely compelling, especially the women and children. Perhaps Celia should have written a female lead instead. Overall a good read.
Wikipedia|OP's Impressions coming

Terry Goodkind - The Sword of Truth Series - 11 books
First book is excellent, and largely stands on its own. Goodkind, oh Goodkind, where did you go wrong. Oh wait, it was when you decided to turn your fantasy series into an anti-communist manifesto, and I am a hardcore conservative and agree with you. It is Faith of the Fallen where this crap starts, so only read up to there if you want to give this series a shot. SoT is an epic fantasy in the vein of the Wheel of Time, except it doesn't make it past 2 to 3 good books before jumping the shark. The story focuses on Richard Rahl and Kahlan, and has its moments of emotional impact with the reader. We follow these two protagonists and a cast of supporting characters that all receive a little face time as they battle the Dark One(can't remember real name) and the Imperial Order as they both seek to destroy magic and individual capitalistic achievement (uhg.)
Wikipedia|OP's Impressions coming soon
Rating: Good early on, bad for most of the series

Robert Jordan - The Wheel of Time Series - 12 books or so, author died before finished, I wasted hundreds of hours of my life.
Selective quotes from my impression, full impression at the jump. ..." Anyway, the story is supposed to be the story of Rand, the savior of the world, and his friends Mat and Perin as they save the world from the evil Dark One."..."Uncountable" numbers of protagonists..." If you are an adolescent boy, like I was when I first started this series, this is definitely your wet dream."...."I am pretty sure that Jordan was the horniest man in the entire world."
Interested?

George R. R. Martin - A Song of Ice and Fire
I am not the man to write this impression. So if anyone wants to come up with a blurb or more in depth review, feel free. Let me just say that I hate books that don't have a main character and I also hate political intrigue plots. That pretty much sums up Martin. I hear a lot of people like him though.
Wikipedia|OP's Impressions never coming|Possible counterpoint goes here
Rating: Average

Update 1:
Steven Erikson - The Malazan Book of the Fallen Series - 8 books and counting (I have only read 3)
Erikson, for the most part, follows the adventures of an elite band of imperial troops for the Malazan empire, but he brings in many characters from many diverse backgrounds and even time periods to round out his cast. Good characterization is lacking, but The Book of the Fallen's strength lies in the complex and political interplay of mortals, gods, cultures, history, and religion set in a world where intrigue is around every corner.

Tad Williams - "Memory, Sorrow, and Thorn" and "The War of the Flowers" Series - Trilogy (Thorn) and 1 book (Flowers)
A boy becoming a man is one of the most common themes in fantasy, and Williams Thorn trilogy is one of the better tales. The plot is fairly standard and unremarkable, but the main character is likable and the story does elicit emotion from the reader. Overall worth a read.
The War of the Flowers is William's better tale, however. William's takes the mythology of Western fairy tales and turns it on his head. What if the Fairy World wanted to be more like the human world? Join the protagonist on his adventure to save Earth and the Fairy World as he journeys through a world in the midst of an industrial revolution where the machinery itself is made up of pixies, gnomes, hobgoblins, and other Fairies (sp). The juxtaposition of the cheerful Fairy stereotypes in the midst of an Industrial revolution is humorous at some points, and jarring at others.
Wikipedia
Rating:Good

Christopher Paolini - Eragon Series - Trilogy, may or may not be completed, not worth the effort.
How this guy got published much less a movie deal is beyond me, especially at such a young age. The first two books, all I could stomach, read like the worst parts of a Dungeon Master's scenario in D&D and LARPing. Elvish Princesses need rescuing, dragons need riding, ultimate power artifacts need finding, dwarves need alcoholics anonymous, it contains every cliche that drags down the fantasy genre as a whole. Avoid at all costs.
Wikipedia|I refuse to write up more impressions of shit
Rating: Bad

David Farland - The Runelords Series - 7 books
This is really two series. One that is good and follows the father, and one that is bad and follows the son. Do not read Sons of the Oak and beyond. The father, a mighty runelord (someone who takes others abilities to enhance his own), must save the earth from the Reavers (giant spider things) and something more sinister. The central theme, and where the series shines, is the examination of the responsibilities of a leader to his subjects and vice versa.
Farland, you should have ended it there. Sons of the Oak and beyond really defines jumping the shark. Farland moves away from his unique Rune based magic system into more generic elemental fare with the story of his son. Farland shares a lot in common with CliffyB in his later books, (adding a chainsaw to a rifle is cool!!!!!!), except with Farland it is adding demon wings to main characters for more badassery and making everyone 9 feet tall for more biggery and multiple worlds for more epicery. None of this changes the fact that the reader hates the new main character and everyone around him sucks except for one exception. Avoid.
Wikipedia
Rating: Good at first, jumps the shark later.

Ok, I have been writing this OP and impressions for 6 hours now. I will return later to finish up. Authors to come include Robin Hobb (1 series good, 1 series bad), CJ Cherryh (average), Ed Greenwood (average), Elizabeth Hayden (good), Laura Resnick (good), Russel Kirkpatrick (good), L E Modesitt, Jr. (good), David Drake (good), Irene Bradford (average), Allan Cole (good), Robert Newcomb (bad), John Marco (good), Terry Brooks (undecided), and many many more.

dionysus

Yaldog
Thanks to all the contributors with recommendations.

Other GAFfer Recommendations

Stephen Donaldson - The Chronicles of Thomas Covenant Series - Trilogy
Quite different from your typical fantasy books, explores the nature of the protagonists, what motivates them, their flaws, strengths... a little hard to follow sometimes, but well worth it. I've only read the first "trilogy", just recently started on the second, and so far the second seems even better.
Wikipedia
-Written by nix_nz

Sherwood Smith - Inda Series - 3 completed, ongoing
Again, an author who appears to agree with me: great characters make great stories. I was put off at first, because the book is written in third person omniscient--it jumps from person to person without warning, showing us their thoughts. This turns out to work really well for the story, as it allows us to get inside every characters head and really get a feel for them. Besides that, the story is pretty standard fare (kid goes off to an academy, there are pranks and bullies and teachers and whatnot), and the prose isn't anything special. But the author does an amazing job of building characters, and a totally convincing world for them to live in. The instant I put down the first book, I immediately went off to try to find the second. When I finished the second, I was hugely disappointed that that was all for now.
Wikipedia
-Written by cyan

Dave Duncan - Tales of the King's Blades Series - 6
I feel like I'm repeating myself now. Well written, interesting characters, fast-paced plots, captivating mysteries, no fear of killing people off, and every book in the series does something completely different. Unfortunately, he's stopped writing them (at six, I believe), because he doesn't feel he can create more wholly original tales. Side note: each novel is a stand-alone, although the first three are interconnected.
Wikipedia
-Written by cyan

Michael Moorcock - Elric Series
Wikipedia|Eric P's Impression
-Written by Eric P

China Meilville - Perdido Street Station Series - No
Wikipedia|Eric P's Impression
-Written by Eric P

Nathaniel Hawthorne - Twice Told Tales
This is Nathaniels Hawthorne's attempt to create an American fantasy tradition separate and distinct from the European fantasies which many Americans brought over from their home countries. Most people hate him because they were forced to read The Scarlet Letter in school, but you shouldn't hold that against him.
Wikipedia
-Written by Eric P

Fritz Leiber - Our Lady of Darkness
Franz Weston is a writer of horror comic-books, and like his creator, a recovering alcaholic. He is also a bibliophile, and fascinated by a slim memoir from the turn of the 20th century written by a self-proclaimed necromancer, Thibault de Castries.
Several of Franz's friends, the other residents of 811 Geary, the former hotel where they live --including his girlfriend Cal- are also amateur students of history, and Weston is soon busy researching the outcome of the little group of acolytes that de Castries gathered around him.
Wikipedia
-Written by Eric P

nix_nz

Neo Member
The Chronicles of Thomas Covenant, by Stephen Donaldson. Quite different from your typical fantasy books, explores the nature of the protagonists, what motivates them, their flaws, strengths... a little hard to follow sometimes, but well worth it. I've only read the first "trilogy", just recently started on the second, and so far the second seems even better.

EDIT: I hope I didn't post too soon and fuck things up for you.

JayDubya

Banned
Well, you didn't waste the hours, really... Memory of Light is on track, and Jordan left copious notes and all that.

I loooooove Wheel of Time.

Song of Ice and Fire, well, I like the writing, and the characters that live I guess I like okay, but I think me liking a character seems to guarantee their imminent demise, so ugh.

I read that Coldfire stuff too; started pretty good, but did not finish strong, at all. Letdown total.

When not reading urban fantasy (Anita Blake, Harry Dresden, etc.), the wife's been really into the Kushiel's series lately.

suffah

Does maths and stuff
dionysus said:
Robin Hobb (1 series good, 1 series bad), Christopher Paolini (bad), CJ Cherryh (average), Steven Erikson (good), Ed Greenwood (average), Elizabeth Hayden (good), David Farland (good and bad), Tad Williams (Good), Laura Resnick (good), Russel Kirkpatrick (good), L E Modesitt, Jr. (good), David Drake (good), Irene Bradford (average), Allan Cole (good), Robert Newcomb (bad), John Marco (good), Terry Brooks (undecided), and many many more.

I really really really wanted to like his series, but it just didn't work for me. Anyone else feel this way? Most reviews I've read are raving.

You hate Martin? Well I hate you!

I am not the man to write this impression. So if anyone wants to come up with a blurb or more in depth review, feel free. Let me just say that I hate books that don't have a main character and I also hate political intrigue plots. That pretty much sums up Martin. I hear a lot of people like him though.

Ahh. I'm the complete opposite. I find the political intrigue to be as interesting - if not more - than basic magic/battles/etc. ASOIAF is an enormous series full of drama that often has little to do with swords n sandals.

I also like Glen Cook's Black Company, which I'm reading now. It's a more focused look on a small group of characters, written documentary style. If you like Vietnam non-fiction (or fiction) you'll find similarities in the writing style.

Nicodimas

Banned
I like Erikson and Martin.

Jordan doesn't hold a candle to those two.

However for a bit off the path my recommendation:

The Prince of Nothing series By R.Scott Bakker is different than those listed. Try it out.

dionysus

Yaldog
suffah said:
I really really really wanted to like his series, but it just didn't work for me. Anyone else feel this way? Most reviews I've read are raving.

It hasn't aged that well with me. I can make myself finish or buy his new books.

PhoenixDark, I just read the first black company book last week!

gutshot

Nice thread idea, been looking for some good fantasy series' lately to hold me over until Dance with Dragons is released.

*subscribed*

dionysus

Yaldog
Nicodimas said:

The Prince of Nothing series By R.Scott Bakker is different than those listed. Try it out.

Jordan got me started on modern fantasy. So I always have a place for him in my heart. That being said, looking back on that series I find my former passion for it funny and telling on my state of mind. I can't be the only one who noticed his male domination fantasies (one I aged a little bit) seeping into his writing? Can I?

Nicodimas

Banned
Jordan also got me started onto the better side of fantasy from Forgotten Realms stuff. The battle of Dumai wells will always remain with me for instance as badass.

dionysus

Yaldog
Nicodimas said:
Jordan also got me started onto the better side of fantasy from Forgotten Realms stuff. The battle of Dumai wells will always remain with me for instance as badass.

Yes, The Lord of Chaos is the pinnacle of the series besides maybe The Eye of the World.

Eric P

The Granddaddy - LoTR
We've all read it, not wasting our time.
boy do i disagree.

i consider my countless attempts to read this pedantic, pastoral work of middle class false nostalgia to be an absolute waste of time.

and now a counter list.

Michael Moorcock's Elric Series. And now a synopsis: Kill your family, kill your kingdom, kill your people, kill your god, blame the sword.

my casual review of the new editions which i originally wrote up for another website which i can't name apparently.

Michael Moorcock is my absolute favorite Fantasist. With the creation of the Multiverse it allowed him to create pastiche editions of commonly known tropes and update them, modernize their tellings and address small issues he had with stories.

He's tackled such things as The Grail Quest (The War Hound and the World's Pain, which is probably my most beloved fantasy work), Victorian Romances (The Dancers at the End of Time series), John Carter of Mars (Sojan series), Epic Fantasy both High and Low fantasy of various pagan mythologies or original worlds (Elric, Corum, Hawkwind), and he's even revisited his older works to retell them in newer, altered settings (Jerry Cornelius is the most famous of this, his first story essentially being a retelling of the first Elric story).

My introduction to Moorcock came in the early to mid90s through the White Wolf Publishing Omnibus editions. Around 11 volumes aimed to collect his work into print in new omnibus editions. They were large trade with new artwork, short introductions by the author to provide a bit of context, if you were lucky there was some art from previous editions included as well. If you were unlucky you got a page and a half intro and then you were on your own.

The issue with this is that it's all about context. Context, Context, Context. Without it, you have some stories which seem somewhat familiar but you don't know if it's ripping off the original, is merely coincidence or even if Moorcock did it originally and your own experiences are filtered through others writing in reaction to Moorcock.

The new editions of Elric started with yesterday's release of Elric The Stealer of Souls (Chronicles of Sthe Last Emperor of Melnibone) which can be had for $10 through Amazon. Beware the reviews. They're written about any one of several different previous editions by previous companies with varying degree of quality of presentation.

Within this edition you'll get new artwork by John Picacio (known for doing a lot of the artwork for Monkey Brain press and other smaller publishing housing) which is good and story specific (unlike the horrible artwork included in other editions like the aforementioned White Wolf editions) with an excellent cover (if the sword is off. It looks like the eye of sauron is embedded in the hilt).

You get a new seven page forward by Alan Moore (cheekily entitled The Return of the Thin White Duke) which traces a bit of history and personal experience with Moorcock's writings.

You get a fourteen page introduction by Moorcock tracing history and his influences and to whom he was paying homage. You also get a bit of history of the writing of Elric and he speaks of his time editing New Worlds where he namedrops several of the authors he published and with whome he interacted such as Ballard, Amis, Distch, Pynchon to give a bit of context as to the crowds he was running with and what he was aiming for with his works.

You get the the essay "Putting a Name On It" where in he gives birth to the term Epic Fantasy and sets genre boundaries while discussing who came before him and why they are or are not Epic Fantasy.

You get the first two volumes of the Elric saga, The Stealer of Souls and Stormbringer. The Stealer of Souls exists without pretense of an overall story arc. It seeks to be episodic like the early Conan novels though in the mid90s, he updated the stories to provide a bit more flavor to tie them together so that if you read it now you have a sense of the journey of Elric that originally only became evident with Stormbringer. I can't speak to which is better, the unadulterated or the these because I haven't read the original texts. My introduction was through the "updated" versions and so my preference would probably be tainted by which edition I had read first.

Melnibone' is a dark place. It exists before history or after history. It doesn't matter. It's savage, dark, with Gods who take no interest in the affairs of man, either benign nor malignant. The world was ruled for a thousand years by Elric's people, yet they grew weary of it and retreated to their island paradise, outside of man. The new kingdoms rose up and warred and fell and yet Melnibone' endured, decadent, removed from its humanity, hated by the new kingdoms.

There are two factions of gods at war within the world. Law and Chaos. Neither seeking to win, for if Chaos reigns then entropy will eventually shatter the whole of existence and the lords of Chaos would have no one and nowhere to rule, and they themselves would face certain extinction. If law were to succeed then all would be stasis and even the gods of law would be unable to move for the sheer rigidity of their existence.

Elric, through tradition set by his forefather's sacrifices, sides with Chaos, though seeks to know if there is something else outside of the two sides. If Law and Chaos are themselves merely pawns in a greater existence. He had been usurped twice to the throne by his own brother, Yyrkoon who wields Mournblade, the runed black sword which is companion to Stormbringer. His sister, Cymoril, cast into a deep slumber of the soul by her Yyrkoon as protection from Elric's revenge.

It is in the beginning of The Stealer of Souls that Elric raises the largest fleet ever assembled to attack the island paradise of Imrryr, the sleeping city, once capital of Melnibone'...

China Meilville's Perdido Street Station

In an interview, Miéville described this book as "basically a secondary world fantasy with Victorian era technology. So rather than being a feudal world, it's an early industrial capitalist world of a fairly grubby, police statey kind!"

Isaac Dan der Grimnebulin is an eccentric scientist living in the city of New Crobuzon with his Khepri girlfriend Lin. While Lin, an artist, is commissioned to create a sculpture of mob boss Mr. Motley, Isaac is offered a unique challenge. He must read a fantasy book which isn't absolute shit. He turns to NeoGaf for help. Sadly he reads some Robert Jordan or some shit and fails and so the world slips into darkness never to recover. ha ha. just kidding. but seriously try reading some books written by adults for adults. like some JG Ballard or Kingsley Amis. Hell, you can even reclaim fantasy works like midnight children by salman rushdie. onoes, they cry. that's not fantasy! there are no elves for me to masturbate to! no strong manly men for me to desire to be! rather the are children born the day which india gains it independence which have powers beyond men who act as political allegory! we can't have political allegory in our fantasy! it's called fantasy for a reason! so the menchildren failed to reclaim what was originally theirs from the academic whores who decided to sell the books to other academic academic by affixing the label "magical realism" to them. it's kind of funny to see the booker prize list watchers twist themselves into knots to see Child 44, a thriller (which is horror w/o supernatural elements. another publishing marketing term) about a serial kill (jesus fucking christ) in soviet russia (aka obama's america, lolz amirite?) when they've given the prize to fantasy works and science fiction works. which to me says that the booker prize list watchers are wankers.

Fritz Leiber - Our Lady of Darkness

Our Lady of Darkness

Franz Weston is a writer of horror comic-books, and like his creator, a recovering alcaholic. He is also a bibliophile, and fascinated by a slim memoir from the turn of the 20th century written by a self-proclaimed necromancer, Thibault de Castries.

Several of Franz's friends, the other residents of 811 Geary, the former hotel where they live --including his girlfriend Cal- are also amateur students of history, and Weston is soon busy researching the outcome of the little group of acolytes that de Castries gathered around him.

Nathaniel Hawthorne - Twice Told Tales

This is Nathaniels Hawthorne's attempt to create an American fantasy tradition separate and distinct from the European fantasies which many Americans brought over from their home countries. Most people hate him because they were forced to read The Scarlet Letter in school, but you shouldn't hold that against him.

I'm at work so I can't devote more time to this, which is a shame. I'll see if I can swing back by after work

Wraith

I'll never understand Tad Williams being rated good. Not even Jordan comes close to him with regards to drawing out every single page. His works were a real snoozefest for me.

hiryu

Steven Erikson and Joe Abbercrombie are the last good fantasy I've read. Also, anything from Gene Wolfe is usually good.

I really don't get the love for The Wheel of Time, I found the first really boring and since people tell me it just goes down to the shitter from then on.....

Martin on the other hand is just pure awesomeness, until you finish the fourth novel and realise you have to wait and wait and freaking wait some more for the next one, and things are even worse if you're a Dunk & Egg fan.

JayDubya

Banned
dionysus said:
Yes, The Lord of Chaos is the pinnacle of the series besides maybe The Eye of the World.

Fires of Heaven is good from beginning to end; Lord of Chaos is only good at the end.

Lord of Chaos is where things started to get slower and more political / logistics (moving armies around, nothing but minor skirmishes for hundreds and hundreds of pages, if even that). Crown of Swords is where I think Jordan started to really drop the ball and get too slow paced and expansionist for the series' own good.

Still, I love the series; the first five, to me, are just about perfect.

dionysus

Yaldog
Cyan said:
Wrong! There are two other books in the series, albeit starring different leads. The third one ("The Hallowed Hunt") is pretty good, and the sequel ("Paladin of Souls") is freaking awesome.

Are you serious. This is like my 21st birthday all over again. I never even bothered to research if she had written more books. Christmas time is here again!

The Curse of Chalion is by far my favorite fantasy book, and I am glad to see other people appreciate Bujold as well.

Great recommendations so far, thanks guys.

Chairman Yang

if he talks about books, you better damn well listen
OP, I appreciate the effort you've put into the thread, and don't take this personally, but the fact that you don't love ASOIAF taints all of your other recommendations.

datruth29

Nicodimas said:

The Prince of Nothing is sooooooooooooo good. Highly recommended.

Strangely, even after reading the first two books of A Song of Ice and Fire, I still always read it as A Song of Fire and Ice.

As far as recommendations, I strongly suggest Howl's Moving Castle and its sequel Castle in the Air by Dianna Wynn Jones. The author writes with a warm voice that is very witty and the characters are great. The story is also very different and much more satisfying than the anime adaptation.

I also thoroughly enjoyed The Ill Made Mute by Cecilia Dart Thornton due to its elevation of its protagonist's physical state from what could have been a gimmick to a genuinely interesting perspective. I never finished the series, since the later books are somewhat less original if a bit more polished.

Joe Abercrombie for SURE. I'm twenty pages from the end of The Blade Itself and I'm stunned at not only how entertaining the book is, but how poignantly it's put together as a novel.

Stunningly fantastic work. AND IT'S ONLY PART ONE!!!

dionysus

Yaldog
OP updated.

Added Erikson, Williams, Farland, Paolini, and more detailed impressions of Campbell. Still got a lot of authors to do.

dionysus

Yaldog
Chairman Yang said:
OP, I appreciate the effort you've put into the thread, and don't take this personally, but the fact that you don't love ASOIAF taints all of your other recommendations.

Haha, I only said that so people would actually click on the thread. Need to have something controversial in the title!

KdoubleA

dionysus said:
Are you serious. This is like my 21st birthday all over again. I never even bothered to research if she had written more books. Christmas time is here again!

The Curse of Chalion is by far my favorite fantasy book, and I am glad to see other people appreciate Bujold as well.

Great recommendations so far, thanks guys.

Thanks for the recommendations. I'm getting "The Curse of Chalion" as my next novel, so I was reading up more about it and apparently its sequel "Paladin of Souls" won the Hugo for best novel in 2004....So yeah, looks like an awesome series to start reading!

dionysus

Yaldog
Cyan said:
Haha, I posted a long complaint about this jackass when I read his first book a few years back. Total garbage.

Is this based on the Shannara stuff? Because he has an excellent contemporary fantasy series in the Word and the Void trilogy. Just don't read the sequel to the trilogy.

I can't make it through The Sword of Shannara and haven't read any of the other stuff. I might give the Word and the Void a try.

ElyrionX

I read the Curse of Chalion by Lois McMaster Bujold and thought it was a decent read. I don't get what the big deal is. She writes a great story to be sure but everything else (the world, characters, etc) feels extremely generic. I mean, why even read fantasy if you're reading her books?

Also, something is seriously wrong if you're rating authors like Eddings above Martin.

Cyan said:
51KNVX27DFL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-dp-500-arrow,TopRight,45,-64_OU01_AA240_SH20_.jpg

Dave Duncan's Tales of the King's Blades
I feel like I'm repeating myself now. Well written, interesting characters, fast-paced plots, captivating mysteries, no fear of killing people off, and every book in the series does something completely different. Unfortunately, he's stopped writing them (at six, I believe), because he doesn't feel he can create more wholly original tales. Side note: each novel is a stand-alone, although the first three are interconnected.

Halfway through the first book in this series. Fantastic stuff, although I spotted the link between the swordsman and Lord Roland almost immediately.

I'd like to mention several authors that have been forgotten so far:

Scott Lynch (Go read the Gentleman Bastard Sequence now!)
Matthew Woodring Stover
Susanna Clark
Tim Powers
Neil Gaiman
Lynn Flewelling
Greg Keyes
Michael A. Stackpole (a diamond in the rough IMO)

And testify to the quality of some authors already mentioned:

Robin Hobb
Joe Abercrombie (You've got to be realistic about these things!)
Lois Bujold (Her sci-fi Vorkosigan series is also some of the best stuff in genre fiction)
Glen Cook
Martin
Steve Erikson
Patrick Rothfuss (with possibly the best fantasy debut of all time)
Gene Wolfe
Tad Williams
Scott Bakker

The likes of John Marco, Brandon Sanderson and Feist are pretty mediocre, but still do some entertaining work from time to time. (more-so the latter, though) Robert Jordan's first few books were amazing, and Eddings is great for the younger audience. As for the classics: Tolkien is uneven at best, Moorcock is often underrated, Le Guin's Earthsea saga will steal your heart - in a good way, of course - and Dune by Herbert is a masterpiece.

It should be noted that I haven't read anything by China Meilville and Terry Pratchett yet, which I'm told is a great sin, although nothing comparable with reading anything written by the other Terry's.

dionysus said:
Robin Hobb (1 series good, 1 series bad)

:lol No. Three series excellent. (Farseer, Liveship Traders, Tawny Man) One series mediocre. (Soldier Son)

aSoIaF is pretty much amazing. Personally I love that the chapters are based on characters. The character development as a result seems to be a lot better, and I don't think I've read a fantasy series that's really brought me in as deep as the Song series.

Right now I'm reading Malazan, and I haven't formed much of an opinion on it. I'm like 100 pages into Gardens of the Moon and while I see potential, its nowhere near the level of Ice and Fire yet.

Dark FaZe said:
aSoIaF is pretty much amazing. Personally I love that the chapters are based on characters. The character development as a result seems to be a lot better, and I don't think I've read a fantasy series that's really brought me in as deep as the Song series.

Right now I'm reading Malazan, and I haven't formed much of an opinion on it. I'm like 100 pages into Gardens of the Moon and while I see potential, its nowhere near the level of Ice and Fire yet.

Gardens of the Moon is the black sheep of the series. Personally, I couldn't get more than a 100 pages into it without feeling bored, alienated and uninterested with everything. The second book actually introduces the world better, and the first book becomes tolerable after you've been hooked into the storyline by Malazan's first sequel.

It's odd, but Erikson definitely hits the perfect note with Deadhouse Gates, and the next three books after that are quite exceptional.

Slayven

Best place to ask so: Is it worth it to start reading the discworld novels? Keep in mind I want to start book 1, page 1.

Eric P

Slayven said:
whats wrong with it?

i don't think it's a very good introduction to the Witch cycle of books, personally and there are some elements which don't exactly jive with the rest of the series as it matures. The rest of the witch books are excellent, however.

I would just say come back to it later

Kiyamon

I have not had time to read as much as I used to... but I want to reread the Incarnations of Immortality Series by Piers Anthony... I loved all of the books in the series. I would recommend them to anyone.

Tim the Wiz said:
Gardens of the Moon is the black sheep of the series. Personally, I couldn't get more than a 100 pages into it without feeling bored, alienated and uninterested with everything. The second book actually introduces the world better, and the first book becomes tolerable after you've been hooked into the storyline by Malazan's first sequel.

It's odd, but Erikson definitely hits the perfect note with Deadhouse Gates, and the next three books after that are quite exceptional.

What you describe is what I hate about a lot of fantasy novels in general. Being thrust into a world where the introduction of its history and setting is done poorly is a huge turnoff. I feel a lot like you do about GotM right now because I feel like there is a ton of information that's seeping through my fingers right now that I just haven't been able to grasp yet.

Hopefully as you say everything will be built up a bit better later in the book and in its sequel. I plan to read a lot more tonight, but it seems like every time I want to sit down at night and read something else comes up and I either fall asleep or end up doing something else.

DieH@rd

Banned
nix_nz said:
The Chronicles of Thomas Covenant, by Stephen Donaldson. Quite different from your typical fantasy books, explores the nature of the protagonists, what motivates them, their flaws, strengths... a little hard to follow sometimes, but well worth it. I've only read the first "trilogy", just recently started on the second, and so far the second seems even better.

EDIT: I hope I didn't post too soon and fuck things up for you.

I agree, very good books. Ive read first 2 triologies, and both were excelent. Donaldson is currentlt writing new trilogy [od quadrology] but i will wait for the last book...

I'd highly recommend the "Prince of Nothing" series by R. Scott Bakker. It's a really interesting take on the whole fantasy thing, one of those rare books that is written so well that you don't even realize it's in a genre. The main character is a "logician-monk" called Kellhus who basically has super powers based purely on his ability to reason and read others. Unlike most fantasy books, it spends a lot of time dealing with the characters' weaknesses and flaws rather than their moments of triumph, and sometimes it gets into serious gut-churning detail (sexual issues abound). It's definitely not traditional fantasy fare tho; people looking for dwarves, elves, and pretty magic should probably move on. Those in the mood for a change would do well to check it out, tho it's kinda hard to find. There are two follow up books, The Warrior Prophet and The Thousandfold Thought, although TT is pretty far out there from what I've read so far.

kahni

I am surprised no one here has recommended Terry Pratchett and his wonderful Discworld series. Granted, Discworld is more humourous than anything mentioned in the OP, but Pratchett might be the most gifted author I have ever read. And he definitely tackles much more complicated issues in his later books. 30+ books in a series, all million-sellers, is hard to argue with.

I've been reading fantasy since 1999, and I've found David Gemmell (RIP) to be the best heroic fantasy author. Minor characters in his book are more fleshed out, more memorable than main characters you might find in a lot of other fantasy novels. You'll definitely fall in love with him. Here are just some of his works...

waylander.jpg

14495687.JPG

gemmell_troy3.jpg

0345379047.jpg

Great character development in each installment...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom