• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fantasy Book Recommendation Thread - OP Thinks Jordan was horny and Martin Sucks

Status
Not open for further replies.

dionysus

Yaldog
kahni said:
I am surprised no one here has recommended Terry Pratchett and his wonderful Discworld series. Granted, Discworld is more humourous than anything mentioned in the OP, but Pratchett might be the most gifted author I have ever read. And he definitely tackles much more complicated issues in his later books. 30+ books in a series, all million-sellers, is hard to argue with.

I definitely made this thread so I could get recommendations much different than what I have been reading, so thanks!

Brian Fellows

Pete Carroll Owns Me
I suggest you reconsider your opinion of George R R Martin.

n2798.jpg

Link Man

Banned
I'm probably going to be the only one to hold this opinion, but Brook's Shannara series is a lot of fun. Just finished the "Jerle Shannara" trilogy, and loved every second of it.

The Sword of Shannara is probably the best of the series, while I felt that "Elfstones" and the entire "Heritage" arc (outside of "Druid of Shannara") were a bit weak. Currently starting the "High Druid of Shannara" trilogy, but I'm finding it a bit uninspired so far (3 chapters in).

Edit: Terry Pratchett is also incredible. Granny Weatherwax is probably one of my favorite fictional characters.

Also, I'll probably get reamed for this, but what's the OP's opinion of Harry Potter?

Link Man said:
I'm probably going to bethe only one to hold this opinion, but Brook's Shannara series is a lot of fun. Just finished the "Jerle Shannara" trilogy, and loved every second of it.

The Sword of Shannara is probably the best of the series, while I felt that "Elfstones" and the entire "Heritage" arc (outside of "Druid of Shannara") were a bit weak. Currently starting the "High Druid of Shannara" trilogy, but I'm finding it a bit uninspired so far (3 chapters in).

It's the series that catapulted me into fantasy readership. I loved "Sword of Shannara." However, I gave up on Brooks after "Isle Witch." He just doesn't have it any more, IMO.

Has anyone else read John Marco's "Inhuman" Trilogy? Im on the last book and i have loved them so far.

Eyes of God
The Devil's Armor
The Sword of Angels.

dionysus

Yaldog
Harry Potter is great light-hearted reading. But I figure it is not worth the effort giving an impression of it when everyone knows what it is about. Why do you ask? Do I come off hating fun or something.

I just finished Marco's Eyes of God. I give it a good rating. I will probably write something about it in a few days or after I finish the entire trilogy. It hasn't appealed to me enough to go out and buy all the books at once though.

Link Man

Banned
dionysus said:
Harry Potter is great light-hearted reading. But I figure it is not worth the effort giving an impression of it when everyone knows what it is about. Why do you ask? Do I come off hating fun or something.

I just finished Marco's Eyes of God. I give it a good rating. I will probably write something about it in a few days or after I finish the entire trilogy. It hasn't appealed to me enough to go out and buy all the books at once though.
No, I was just curious.The "reamed" comment stems from the observation that GAF hates anything that's popular in the mainstream.

I actually reread the Potter books over the summer. A really fun series.

Also, to add to my Shannara impressions, I love the fact that the series builds such a strong history. Hearing about an earlier adventure through the eyes of later generations, after experiencing said adventures firsthand, is quite a treat.

dionysus said:

If the opinion of a stranger means anything to you, the second one gets better. Im not a critic, but now that im nearing the end of the third one, i feel he has grown a bit as a writer.

Just now finished The Blade Itself. Seriously, anyone who doesn't read this is just lying to themselves when they say they like books. Just fucking spectacular.

Two more parts to go.

:D

Man, I looooooooooved The Sword of Truth when I first read it...I was 15 or so. Wizard's First Rule was bad-ass. I read up until the stupid started and then gave up. Now, I look back on those days and wondered how the hell I read that shit.

Epic fantasy, for the most part, is absolute crap. Robert Jordan is one of the worst writers I've ever had the displeasure of reading.

George R. Martin's stuff is maybe the only exception to this rule. He is actually an extremely talented writer, and he grounds the epic fantasy in reality by having actual character death and actual consequences.

I feel that China Melville's (did I spell his name right? probably not) Perdido Street Station counts as epic fantasy, after a fashion. It's like, if epic fantasy had a bastard child and made it to the industrial revolution.

I am always open to the possibility that there exists good epic fantasy. I'm not sure I want to read it, but I may check out some of the books in the OP if the library happens to have them.

I've read Robin Hobb's first three trilogies and they're all great. I saved Liveship Traders for last and just finished it about a week ago. EXCELLENT series, her best work. Thanks to whoever recommended it as such in a previous fantasy thread!

Oh, just how is Mieville's Perdido Street Station compared to Rat King? I read Rat King and was pretty dissapointed in it.

[edit] Thanks Eric.

Eric P

Kurashima said:
Oh, just how is Mieville's Perdido Street Station compared to Rat King? I read Rat King and was pretty dissapointed in it.

much better, i think

His first book was more like an expanded short story with a huge love letter to Drum and Bass padding it.

nitewulf

Eric P, edit out the Perdido Street Station plot summary...you pretty much ruined one of the best fantasy novels of the last century to ppl who havent read it yet.

Anyway, since Perdido was already mentined, "The Scar", set in the same steam punk universe as PSS (New Crobuzon), it expands the universe as an epic voyage over an endless ocean is described. Floating cities, vampires, and a cunning, charming villain straight out of anime...you cant go wrong.

China Mieville - The Scar
mieville_scar.jpg

For what its worth, I love King Rat as well.

The First Law : Book 1 - The Blade Itself

n157984.jpg

Very fast paced, character driven fantasy tale. It's dark, funny, brutal and sardonic. The characters are the main focus, there are only a few and they are well and expertly developed. The action is fast paced...so fast that after i finished it in a few days i ran out and bought...

The First Law : Book 2 - Before They are Hanged

before_they_are_hanged.jpg

It continues at a blistering pace, giving you enough to keep reading...so good that i finished it again within a few days and i'm out of luck as the finale comes out in september...

nitewulf said:

n157984.jpg

Very fast paced, character driven fantasy tale. It's dark, funny, brutal and sardonic. The characters are the main focus, there are only a few and they are well and expertly developed. The action is fast paced...so fast that after i finished it in a few days i ran out and bought...

The First Law : Book 2 - Before They are Hanged

before_they_are_hanged.jpg

It continues at a blistering pace, giving you enough to keep reading...so good that i finished it again within a few days and i'm out of luck as the finale comes out in september...

YES A THOUSAND TIMES OVER.

suffah

Does maths and stuff
Whoa, I can't believe the love for the Prince of Nothingness in this thread. I like to think I have an open-mind, but after the AWESOME AWESOME AWESOME intro (which I read at the bookstore and made me buy the book) I couldn't believe how boring the rest of the book was. This was years ago so I don't have a fresh impression but I really didn't enjoy it. I think the religious undertones really turned me off.

I now see how people can hate on GRRM. I love the man's writing style, but to each his own I guess.

suffah

Does maths and stuff
nitewulf said:

http://www.fantasticfiction.co.uk/images/n31/n157984.jpg

Looks right up my alley, thanks for the rec will definitely read this soon.

dionysus

Yaldog
KingGraham said:
Man, I looooooooooved The Sword of Truth when I first read it...I was 15 or so. Wizard's First Rule was bad-ass. I read up until the stupid started and then gave up. Now, I look back on those days and wondered how the hell I read that shit.

Epic fantasy, for the most part, is absolute crap. Robert Jordan is one of the worst writers I've ever had the displeasure of reading.

George R. Martin's stuff is maybe the only exception to this rule. He is actually an extremely talented writer, and he grounds the epic fantasy in reality by having actual character death and actual consequences.

I feel that China Melville's (did I spell his name right? probably not) Perdido Street Station counts as epic fantasy, after a fashion. It's like, if epic fantasy had a bastard child and made it to the industrial revolution.

I am always open to the possibility that there exists good epic fantasy. I'm not sure I want to read it, but I may check out some of the books in the OP if the library happens to have them.

I have a similar problem, epic fantasy got me started on the fantasy genre. So a lot of what I read early on I have quite a bit of nostalgia for, like Eddings or Jordan. Yet most of the epic fantasy I pick up today I think is pure crap, except the Codex Alera. So I can't tell if Jordan is actually good or I am looking back with rose tinted goggles.

Most of the stuff I like today, like Bujold or Campbell is not at all like what got me into fantasy, cause my tastes have changed as I have matured.

By the way, has anyone read Scar Night or Iron Angel by Alan Campbell. I would like some confirmation that those books are as good as I think they are.

suffah said:
Looks right up my alley, thanks for the rec will definitely read this soon.

I literally just finished it tonight. Not just the best fantasy book I've ever read (which it wins easily, but then, I don't read a whole lot of the stuff) but it stands up there with any truly great fiction I've read.

Just so well put together. Everyone in this thread and on this planet needs to read it.

dionysus

Yaldog
BenjaminBirdie said:
I literally just finished it tonight. Not just the best fantasy book I've ever read (which it wins easily, but then, I don't read a whole lot of the stuff) but it stands up there with any truly great fiction I've read.

Just so well put together. Everyone in this thread and on this planet needs to read it.

I think it is the most recommended book in this thread. I will be picking it up tomorrow.

Eric P

nitewulf said:
Eric P, edit out the Perdido Street Station plot summary...you pretty much ruined one of the best fantasy novels of the last century to ppl who havent read it yet.

done. and how.

How about Toni Morrison's Beloved?
How about Harlan Ellison? Start with The Essential Ellison and fill in the gaps from there.

anyway, how about some Fantasy Academia?

Wizardy and Wild Romance by Michael Moorock

The Game of the Impossible: A Rhetoric of Fantasy by William Robert Irwin

or even just

Fantasy: The Best 100 Books - James Cawthorn

nitewulf

BenjaminBirdie said:

to be fair, he is a beginner and it shows. dialogues aren't his strong suite...and some of the prose are very cliche. you could almost see them coming before he writes them. but...what he lacks in style and talent, he makes up for in charm and creativity.

you should really read china mieville and see how as a writer, technically he is a class above.

but abercrombie will get up there as he gains experience, i have no doubt.

nitewulf said:
to be fair, he is a beginner and it shows. dialogues aren't his strong suite...and some of the prose are very cliche. you could almost see them coming before he writes them. but...what he lacks in style and talent, he makes up for in charm and creativity.

you should really read china mieville and see how as a writer, technically he is a class above.

I thought his dialogue was one of the best parts of the book. I lawled on the subway quite a few times.

nitewulf said:

And yeah, I definitely need to check out Mieville when I'm done with The First Law.

Flynn

dionysus said:
Robert Jordan - The Wheel of Time Series - 12 books or so, author died before finished, I wasted hundreds of hours of my life.

I find this absolutely preposterous. You can't enjoy a book on its own merits unless you're guaranteed that everything will be wrapped up in a nice tidy bow someday? No wonder you don't like Martin. He's not pat enough for you.

suffah

Does maths and stuff
Flynn said:
I find this absolutely preposterous. You can't enjoy a book on its own merits unless you're guaranteed that everything will be wrapped up in a nice tidy bow someday? No wonder you don't like Martin. He's not pat enough for you.

Bingo. I'm no fan of Jordan, but I agree with you here. People that hate on Martin because he's too slow (yea, he's a convention whore) or because he kills off his characters boggle my mind. I think his work speaks for itself. If he wrapped the series up in 4 books I wonder how differently people would think of his series.

dionysus

Yaldog
suffah said:
Bingo. I'm no fan of Jordan, but I agree with you here. People that hate on Martin because he's too slow (yea, he's a convention whore) or because he kills off his characters boggle my mind. I think his work speaks for itself. If he wrapped the series up in 4 books I wonder how differently people would think of his series.

If both of you are going to criticize my taste, at least get why I don't like Martin right. It has nothing to do with slow or that he kills off characters. It is because I like character driven stories and ones that actually have a main character. I also don't enjoy political plots.

Flynn

dionysus said:
If both of you are going to criticize my taste, at least get why I don't like Martin right. It has nothing to do with slow or that he kills off characters. It is because I like character driven stories and ones that actually have a main character. I also don't enjoy political plots.

The Martin books are character driven. In fact, Martin is so good at what he does that he sketches his characters better in four or five chapters a book than most genre authors do in their entire careers.

And you're wrong about ASOIAF not having a "main" character. It's Tyrion.

aidan

Hugo Award Winning Author and Editor
nitewulf said:

Last Argument of Kings takes everything that rocked about The Blade Itself and Before They Are Hanged, combines it all and cranks the awesomeness up about 150%. Certainly one of the best concluding volumes I've read in a long time.

Glad to see Abercrombie get so much love, not only are his books good, but he's a stand up dude, too.

JayDubya

Banned
suffah said:
People that hate on Martin because he's too slow (yea, he's a convention whore) or because he kills off his characters boggle my mind.

Well he does write frustratingly slow. He also does have a rather obnoxious tendency of slaughtering any character I care about, then taking hated villains and trying to make them sympathetic. Not really my style, even though I understand precisely why it's so neccessary for the major houses to all fail and implode for the Jon / Dany plots to work.

Flynn

If his remarkably good writing is somehow related to him being "frustratingly slow" I'll accept the correlation as the nature of things.

Link Man

Banned
If you can get past the period sci-fi conventions, C.S. Lewis' "Out of the Silent Planet" is an incredible experience. It's not necessarily about the story, but the visuals, scenes and fascinating philosophy. It would work really well as a movie for these reasons (while at the same time, a movie might ruin the experience).

And while it may seem like science fiction (and woefully outdated, at that), it has more of a fantasy feel to it.

The book is the first of a trilogy (but works as a standalone story), but I found the sequels weaker than the first book. The second, "Prelandra", was still entertaining, but a bit longwinded, and I found the last book, "That Hideous Strength", to be boring, a bit goofy, and anticlimactic. But don't let that dissuade you from reading the first book, as it's excellent.

JayDubya said:
Well he does write frustratingly slow. He also does have a rather obnoxious tendency of slaughtering any character I care about, then taking hated villains and trying to make them sympathetic. Not really my style, even though I understand precisely why it's so neccessary for the
major houses to all fail and implode for the Jon / Dany plots to work.

Thought I'd spoiler tag that for you. George writes slow as shit lately but whatever. I'm dealing with it and can't wait for a Dance with Dragons. As far as your complaint about character deaths goes,
I feel like George struck a great balance. In reality, a lot of "deaths" didn't actually turn out to be deaths after all. But there is still that very real possibility that the end can come from a number of characters.
A great thing about the Song series is that while you can develop a sense of sympathy or understanding for "villains", you have to understand that some of these people actually aren't villains so much as just characters with their own faults and motivations.

No one in the series is completely incapable of error. A lot of the characters in the book that are considered good have done things I don't agree with and despise them for.

Link Man said:
I'm probably going to be the only one to hold this opinion, but Brook's Shannara series is a lot of fun. Just finished the "Jerle Shannara" trilogy, and loved every second of it.

I really enjoyed the Sword of Shannara and also enjoyed Elfstones to an extent, but after that I was basically done with the series. It started to feel a bit tired to me so I didn't continue.

Gamer @ Heart said:
Has anyone else read John Marco's "Inhuman" Trilogy? Im on the last book and i have loved them so far.

Eyes of God
The Devil's Armor
The Sword of Angels.

I remember thoroughly enjoying the Eyes of God but each book seemed to get weaker. Still a really enjoyable trilogy. Have you read the Tyrants and Kings Trilogy? It was also written by John Marco. I've only read the Jackal of Nar, but it was a good read that I'd recommend to people here..

eyesofgod.gif

jackal.gif

ttk

A few I didn't see mentioned yet (though, I didn't really look closely):

Scott Lynch - the Lies of Locke Lamora (book one of the the Gentleman Bastard-series)

Jim Butcher - Storm Front (book one of the Dresden Files)

CS Friedman - Feast of Souls (book one of the Magister Trilogy)

Raymond E. Feist - Magician

Robin Hobb - Assassin's Apprentice (book one of the The Farseer trilogy)

Ellen Kushner - Thomas the Rhymer

Daniel Abraham - A Shadow in Summer (book one of the Long Price Quartet)

I'd say each and every one of them are worth reading. Do it.

bengraven

Also, really really loving

51KXCBAGPDL._SS500_.jpg

It's the only thing that fills that Middle-Earth-less hole in the gut when you've read all of Tolkien's books 2 or three times and start to get bored.

bengraven

Dark FaZe said:
I'm still trying to track this down at the library. I had my hands on it for a bit but unfortunately didn't read it :\

I found it sitting in this small corner bookstore in my small mall in my small town. It's a fantastically put together collection and the publisher did a few more books in the same vein including a few more Howard Conan collections, some of the Jordan Conan stories, Kull, Solomon Kane, etc. I want them all (at least the ones written by Howard).

aidan said:
Glad to see Abercrombie get so much love, not only are his books good, but he's a stand up dude, too.

Yeah, Joe's quite entertaining on the forums.

I will say this: The Blade Itself, while good, wasn't nearly as good as the hype would have it. Yeah, Glotka was cool and all that, but it just didn't gel for me. The only reason I'll continue on is that universal opinion seems to be that the series gets markedly better with each volume.

So yeah, I finished the third book of Joe Abercrombie's First Law trilogy.

... what a disaster. I enjoyed the first two books quite a bit, yet somehow the third book manages to be a complete joke.

Blackace

if you see me in a fight with a bear, don't help me fool, help the bear!
Maxwell House said:
2nded. Brilliant first novel.

51nxyvrTr8L._SL500_BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-dp-500-arrow,TopRight,45,-64_OU01_AA240_SH20_.jpg

If you Martin, Jordan or Williams, you will love this book (the first of a new series).

great book. Finishing it up now, really interesting way to tell a story.

Thought I'd resurrect this old thread.

I just discovered an old series for the first time last week and finished the first 10 novels in that time. :lol

Fucking brilliant writing, IMO.

Steven Brust's Vlad Taltos series:

71BHMCKJ49L._SL500_BO2,204,203,200_AA219_PIsitb-sticker-dp-arrow,TopRight,-24,-23_SH20_OU01_.gif

From Library Journal
Quick with both sword and wit, Vlad Taltos makes his way through the world of Dragaera as an assassin, aided by a small talent for magic and a lizard-like jhereg companion. Collecting the first three novels in Brust's Vlad Taltos series (e.g., Jhereg), this volume serves as a good introduction to the adventures of the author's archly sophisticated, wryly humorous hero. Recommended for libraries that do not already own the individual titles included.
Copyright 1999 Reed Business Information, Inc.

Product Description
Vlad Taltos x 3! Three Steven Brust fantasy novels in one all-new edition-featuring intrepid assassin Vlad Taltos and his jhereg companion. A welcome addition to any fantasy fan's library, The Book of Jhereg follows the antics of the wise-cracking assassin Vlad Taltos and his dragon-like companion through their first three adventures-Jhereg, Yendi, and Teckla. From his rookie assassin days to his selfless feats of heroism, the dauntless Vlad will hold readers spellbound-and The Book of Jhereg will take its place among the classic compilations in fantasy.
--A pocket-sized dragon-what's not to love?
--A collectible 3-in-1 edition featuring one of science fiction's most memorable heroes

"This whole series is entertaining and worth reading!" -Locus

"Engaging...written with a light touch...good stuff!" -Publishers Weekly

"Watch Steven Brust. He's good. He moves fast. He surprises you." -Roger Zelazny

"Hard to put down . . . fun to read!" -OtherRealms

"Imagine James Bond in a world of magic...exciting!" -Voya

Maxwell House said:
Thought I'd resurrect this old thread.

I just discovered an old series for the first time last week and finished the first 10 novels in that time. :lol

Fucking brilliant writing, IMO.

Steven Brust's Vlad Taltos series:

71BHMCKJ49L._SL500_BO2,204,203,200_AA219_PIsitb-sticker-dp-arrow,TopRight,-24,-23_SH20_OU01_.gif

Funny there should be a quote from Zelazny in there. Reading Brust reminded me of his work quite a bit. It's a great series, although I haven't read the book that came out this year - Jhegaala - either.

Kers

Blackace said:
great book. Finishing it up now, really interesting way to tell a story.
Yes, great book. I'm looking forward to the next to books. Because of the story of book 1 I felt disappointed the first part of Fable II (where you play as a kid) was so short and you can't use your lute that much.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom