• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fantasy Book Recommendation Thread - OP Thinks Jordan was horny and Martin Sucks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blablurn

krabat.jpg

Krabat.

Its an old german fantasy book. It was directed to younger teenagers, but I think that book has a very unique setting and atmosphere.

Its about an orphan called krabat who finds his way to some mill. after some times he finds out, that the master of that mill is teaching black magic. everything is fine until one of his friends there die.

Really oldschool but cool ideas and I have great memories of that book and still like it today.
They released a movie of the book, but I dont recommend it, since the actors are kinda weird and unfitting.

(here's a trailer: http://de.youtube.com/watch?v=cNaZICIRw04 )

dude

dude
agrajag said:
Every book in Ursula K. Le Guin's Earthsea series.
Agreed.
Fantastic series... I have yet to read a fantasy book with a world as believable as Earthsea. Probably my favorite fantasy series.

Don't see the miniseries or Studio Ghibli's movie, they both suck hard.

garath

Maxwell House said:
Thought I'd resurrect this old thread.

I just discovered an old series for the first time last week and finished the first 10 novels in that time. :lol

Fucking brilliant writing, IMO.

Steven Brust's Vlad Taltos series:

71BHMCKJ49L._SL500_BO2,204,203,200_AA219_PIsitb-sticker-dp-arrow,TopRight,-24,-23_SH20_OU01_.gif

Absolutely. Love this series. New book out for it too.

agrajag said:
Every book in Ursula K. Le Guin's Earthsea series. Dave Duncan's Seventh Sword trilogy. Appreciate.

Dave Duncan is one of those underrated veteran authors in fantasy who never seems to receive the praise he deserves. His novels often contain a mixture of clever action and excellent characterization strung together with high-concept plots. (If you've read the King's Blades trilogy, you'll know what I'm talking about...) Highly recommended.

Zerachiel

If you can stand the occasional BDSM sex scene, Jacqueline Carey's Kushiel series is really great. Really cool, distinct world with interesting cultures and religions, lots of adventure, superb writing, and likable characters.

Salazar

Mickey Zucker Reichert.

How GAF and the wider reading public have not picked up on this woman's surpassingly badass Norse fantasy books is beyond me.

Dr_Cogent

Banned
JayDubya said:
Fires of Heaven is good from beginning to end; Lord of Chaos is only good at the end.

Lord of Chaos is where things started to get slower and more political / logistics (moving armies around, nothing but minor skirmishes for hundreds and hundreds of pages, if even that). Crown of Swords is where I think Jordan started to really drop the ball and get too slow paced and expansionist for the series' own good.

Still, I love the series; the first five, to me, are just about perfect.

That's what I would say. Books 1 - 5 are incredible.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom