• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FF7 Rebirth is amongst the highest rated FF's ever, 9, 10 and 12.

Go_Ly_Dow

The score may come down a bit once more reviews are in, but what's impressive is how given the large number of reviews compared to 9, 10 and 12, it's the highest rated sp FF in about 20 years since 12 and amongst what are considered the best in the series long history.

FFVII Rebirth - 115 critic reviews, 93.
FFIX - 22 critic reviews, 94.
FFX - 53 critic reviews, 92.
FFXII - 64 critic reviews, 92.
FFXV - 113 critic reviews, 81. (Royal Edition, 85)
FFXVI - 149 critic reviews, 87.
FFVII Remake - 135 critic reviews, 87. (Intergrade, 89)
c3yh99a.png

gP39nxV.png
lNbeCW2.png
u52BqVi.png

P6RTdGB.png
CyIHwPF.png

The game director Naoki Hamaguchi and others like Nomura/Kitase have commented on the smoothness of development since Remake.

GG8o_aeaQAASlhU

Hopefully the series can now continue to improve after XIII on PS3 which I think for many was a low point.

Japanese devs are on 🔥.

Last edited:

conpfreak

I did not see that coming....

must be open world game design that is done better than FF16...
I saw it coming. I played FF7 Remake and that was the best experience I have with the series since X. Well developed characters and excellent gameplay that feels like Final Fantasy paired with modern open world design will do it. While it isn't a graphical powerhouse like FF titles used to be, it's a great looking game too.

Last edited:
I still don't like MetaCritic's aggregate process, and people still give it way too much pull, but I'm very happy to see it scoring this well. Bodes extremely well for the game's future (as if there was zero doubt).

Think it'll also basically settle the direction of future mainline FF titles; I now XVI was an experiment and it has a lot of neat ideas, and many people love it. But it never got the unanimous praise and support the FFV Remake games have been getting. So I think the styling of the latter will dominate design ethos for future mainline FF games, but features from XVI can still find their way into them in adjusted ways.

Anyway it seems like between this, Grandblue Fantasy Relink and Person 3 Reload, JRPGs are having a really good time right now. That's great to see!

I saw it coming. I played FF7 Remake and that was the best experience I have with the series since X. Well developed characters and excellent gameplay that feels like Final Fantasy paired with modern open world design will do it. While it isn't a graphical powerhouse like FF titles used to be, it's a great looking game too.

Personally I think it's a gorgeous game at the artistic level. Very strong visual design, character designs, world designs etc. It's mainly some of the technical aspects with resolution that slightly besmirch things here and there.

Those are things that can get fixed in a patch.

Last edited:

Go_Ly_Dow

I still don't like MetaCritic's aggregate process, and people still give it way too much pull, but I'm very happy to see it scoring this well. Bodes extremely well for the game's future (as if there was zero doubt).

Personally I think it's a gorgeous game at the artistic level. Very strong visual design, character designs, world designs etc. It's mainly some of the technical aspects with resolution that slightly besmirch things here and there.

Those are things that can get fixed in a patch.

I have never based a game purchase on a Metacritic score as I know what I like.

But I think FF is one of the most divisive series out there with fans bickering over most elements of what the series should be, how it should play, how it should look etc.. so seeing it get a universally praised score amongst that is a good moment for the series that many have been waiting for, for a long time!

Last edited:
I have never based a game purchased on a Metacritic score as I know what I like.

But I think FF is one of the most divisive series out there with fans bickering over most elements of what the series should be, how it should play, how it should look etc.. so seeing it get a universally praised score amongst that is a good moment for the series that many have been waiting for, for a long time!

True. It wasn't until XVI that it dawned on me, FF fanbase is probably as divisive as the Sonic fanbase 😜

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
Good for Rebirth but I think critics’ reviews are pretty meaningless for Final Fantasy. FF games always get high scores from critics, whereas the actual fans are all over the place, bitterly divided about which ones are the good ones and which ones suck.

Go_Ly_Dow

I would consider this the highest rated FF game so far. IX has 22 reviews, I don't know if it would hold that 94 today if it had 8x the reviews.
True.

Doesn't tell you much, this is just hype.

Yes/no, it tells you they've done something right for most people to have loved it enough to give it 9-10s. As 13, 15 and to a lesser extent 7R and 16 show, reviewers have no issues marking down mainline FF games even with the hype before a new one releases.

Jigsaah

Gold Member
FF12 got a 92? Different times I guess, but I tried it on Gamepass like a year or two ago...man that game was not what I expected. I did not like me setting battle strategies for my NPC companions. What did they call that system? Something with a G...Gambit? Hated it.

I'll be playing Rebirth after May I guess.

Go_Ly_Dow

By charging $70 a pop to play the same game they made in the 90s and have re-released how many times since? I hate the way this industry has gone. Square is one of the worst.
I bet Rebirth has 3-4x the budget of the original FF7, but they don't charge 3-4x the price of it.

Also it's not the same game. World/characters/premise details yes, but the game itself is a new experience, on new tech with new gameplay.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
By charging $70 a pop to play the same game they made in the 90s and have re-released how many times since? I hate the way this industry has gone. Square is one of the worst.
This is ban worthy and normally I am the bad opinions guy around here.
I've never played the original and when you look at both... it's not the same game lol

Zuzu

IX is still the GOAT 💪 (my fave game of all time as well alongside Deus Ex 1)

Also, team chemistry is a principle that Microsoft desperately needs to learn. After hearing about some of the troubled developments of their games which were caused in part by their 18 month contract system they need to realise that keeping a team together over the long haul is really important to producing great games.

yazenov

I absolutely adored FF7 remake, so if this game is better than the previous entry then I'm in for a treat.

Im replaying FF7 remake without the side quest to refresh my memories before this game hits the stores. I'm going all in on Rebirth. Every inche deep.

Last edited:
Did you want to be charged 70$ for the entire 3 games? Have you been paying attention at how this industry is getting expensive in terms of game development?

Some of you guys need to chill tbh

Omnipunctual Godot

Gold Member
LET'S GOOOOOOO
Got my pre-order ready.

Anyone know how long it takes to play through Intergrade? I think I want to finish that first.

Last edited:

cormack12

Gold Member
The score may come down a bit once more reviews are in, but what's impressive is how given the large number of reviews compared to 9, 10 and 12, it's the highest rated sp FF in about 20 years since 12 and amongst what are considered the best in the series long history.

FFVII Rebirth - 115 critic reviews, 93.
FFIX - 22 critic reviews, 94.
FFX - 53 critic reviews, 92.
FFXII - 64 critic reviews, 92.
FFXV - 113 critic reviews, 81. (Royal Edition, 85)
FFXVI - 149 critic reviews, 87.
FFVII Remake - 135 critic reviews, 87. (Intergrade, 89)
c3yh99a.png

gP39nxV.png
lNbeCW2.png
u52BqVi.png

P6RTdGB.png
CyIHwPF.png

The game director Naoki Hamaguchi and others like Nomura/Kitase have commented on the smoothness of development since Remake.

GG8o_aeaQAASlhU

Hopefully the series can now continue to improve after XIII on PS3 which I think for many was a low point.

Japanese devs are on 🔥.
Have they commented on the smoothness of those textures?

On topic, will be interesting to see if it can keep this. The first demo was great, second one is a bit aimless and doesn't fill me with a huge amount of hope for the hunts etc

Top Bottom