• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FF7 Rebirth or Unicorn Overlord?

What should I buy to play?

• FF7 Rebirth

Votes: 63 53.4%
  • Unicorn Overlord

Votes: 50 42.4%
  • Other(specify in your post)

Votes: 5 4.2%

• Total voters

Arsic

Loves his juicy stink trail scent
I’m going to make a purchase in 5-10 minutes.

Which do you recommend and why?

For the record:
-FF7 remake part 1 was a 7/10 for me. Horrible side quests, and so much bloat for a game that could’ve been half the size.
-Rebirth demo wasn’t good. The slow walking fire shit. Ugh.

-13 sentinels was my GOTY when it came out. Not all of vanillas games are bangers to me.
-I tried the 6 hour demo and the combat really didn’t click with me since you just watch it play and you can skip it. It lacked player engagement. I want to play a game.

— Which one do you think I’ll like more? You’re also welcome to just throw out wild card suggestions like the new alone in the dark, the Musashi robot game, or infinite wealth etc.

I’m all ears.

I’m going to make a purchase in 5-10 minutes.

Which do you recommend and why?

For the record:
-FF7 remake part 1 was a 7/10 for me. Horrible side quests, and so much bloat for a game that could’ve been half the size.
-Rebirth demo wasn’t good. The slow walking fire shit. Ugh.

-13 sentinels was my GOTY when it came out. Not all of vanillas games are bangers to me.
-I tried the 6 hour demo and the combat really didn’t click with me since you just watch it play and you can skip it. It lacked player engagement. I want to play a game.

— Which one do you think I’ll like more? You’re also welcome to just throw out wild card suggestions like the new alone in the dark, the Musashi robot game, or infinite wealth etc.

I’m all ears.
The great things about FF7 Rebirth's side content is that it's all optional so get that as is it's a S+ game

cireza

I'd pick FF. Unicorn Overlord felt extremely repetitive and tedious, but this is only my opinion and the game has its fans.

Mephisto40

Rebirth, unless you are really into ogre battle style games, unicorn does get old fairly fast

Although if you didn't like remake, rebirth is very much more of the same

Last edited:
Rebirth kicks ass, based on your thoughts on Remake I'm really not sure if you'd like it. But it's a great game, and way better than the first.

Just buy Animal Well or Hades 2 🤷‍♂️

Arsic

Rebirth kicks ass, based on your thoughts on Remake I'm really not sure if you'd like it. But it's a great game, and way better than the first.

Just buy Animal Well or Hades 2 🤷‍♂️
I got hades 2.

I alternate between my ps5 and pc to play. My son shares both with me so I hop on the other when he’s on one.

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
Was going to suggest Like a Dragon: Infinite wealth before I even read your last paragraph. I’m playing it now and it’s pretty damn good. I’m cracking up at the dating app mini game. You’ll love it if you loved Yakuza: Like a Dragon

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
Played Unicorn Overlord for a while. Amazing art and music but aside from that I don't get the praise, since strategy-wise the game is pretty easy even on the hardest difficulty, or at least it was for the few hours I put into it.

The irony here is that the prettiest art is displayed during the battle scenes, which you end skipping most of the time anyway.

But hey, the chicks are hot and there's a lot of social aspect to it, like putting certain characters together in the same unit so they develop their bond which unlocks a conversation. So if you are into that then go ahead.

Can't speak about Rebirth, so I'd recommend getting a N64 and Mystical Ninja 2.

Last edited:

Arsic

Rebirth will be on PS+ soon. Hold on for this year.
Huh? Where is this news? If it’s coming by holiday I could maybe hold out? But if this is you projecting or hypothetical wishing lol…

Arsic

Played Unicorn Overlord for a while. Amazing art and music but aside from that I don't get the praise, since strategy-wise the game is pretty easy even on the hardest difficulty, or at least it was for the few hours I put into it.

The irony here is that the prettiest art is displayed during the battle scenes, which you end skipping most of the time anyway.

But hey, the chicks are hot and there's a lot of social aspect to it, like putting certain characters together in the same unit so they develop their bond which unlocks a conversation. So if you are into that then go ahead.

Can't speak about Rebirth, so I'd recommend getting a N64 and Mystical Ninja 2.
Let’s be real. Goemon 1 on N64 was way better. The giant mech final boss? Siiiick.

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
Let’s be real. Goemon 1 on N64 was way better. The giant mech final boss? Siiiick.
WAY better? Guess I really have to play that one! Been sitting on the backlog for way too long.

Whenever I think of Goemon I end up drifting towards the 2nd game, since it's the one I had as a kid lol.

Arsic

WAY better? Guess I really have to play that one! Been sitting on the backlog for way too long.

Whenever I think of Goemon I end up drifting towards the 2nd game, since it's the one I had as a kid lol.
The second one was a 2D platformer with co op correct?

The first one is trying to be like Zelda ocarina of time. Third person adventure game.

ToadMan

I was a little meh on FF7 Remake mainly because the game never felt like it opened up... but I finished it.

But FF7 Rebirth I loved because it does open up. I haven't finished it - stuck around the 90 hour mark because there is so much of it.

The mini games are better to me and many can be bypassed entirely or just played once on easy mode, beaten and done never to be played again.

The only gate I really noticed is the card game which required a satisfactory performance at one stage to nudge the story on - I enjoyed the card game and beat that event easily anyway, but if you don't like it that may be annoying.

For UO - it is great too. But I bought that on Switch as a travel game because the 2D aesthetic isn't one that I'd probably play on the couch. As a result I haven't played it for a while. I start travelling again tomorrow so I'll go back and continue it then.

However, UO is already a much more "focused" or some may say repetitive game than FF7. Effectively each stage of the game requires completion of combat which is fine. But if you either don't enjoy or get fatigued with that combat, there's not much else to distract you from it. There's a little bit of character world building but nothing major really. There's not an open world to really explore as such, not much in the way of items or crafting. What side quests there are are all battle focused.

However if Aegis was your goty before, it's difficult to go against recommending UO. It's a great game in its own right.

Last edited:

Arsic

Also god damn. The poll is currently split 50/50, but no one from the unicorn camp is in here trying to sell me on it lol.

Unicorn Overlord. It takes a bit for the battle system to show its colors but once you're rolling it doesn't stop. You get more commands for your soldiers, and more squads, and more variety, and battles become more strategic with a lot of options. You can turtle, you can bait enemies, you can rush the objectives. It's also one of the most item-heavy RPGs I've played in a while. Managing your money so that you can afford clutch items is essential. I'd say the battle system is pretty flexible. I wouldn't let the autobattling thing turn you off. You still have to set up your squads and there are tons of ways to go about it. You have to keep them out of bad match-ups while flanking to get good matchups. My only gripe, personally, is I think the game could've been so much bigger by including a lot more 4X empire-builder mechanics (like the sort you'd find in a PC game). The town upgrades and the way you progress through the game doesn't feel as robust as it could've. The squad conversations and the waifu stuff aren't as beefy as you might find in modern Fire Emblem.

Feels like a really really good "handheld-sized" RPG like Fire Emblem Awakening, Disgaea, or Triangle Strategy.

FF7 Rebirth.... eh I'm not the one to ask. I think it's cringe. Are you a teenager? Do you get choked up during Naruto episodes? Do you like your RPGs to string you along from setpiece to setpiece?

If you want a really good strategy RPG though, I'd go with The Last Spell. Unicorn Overlord is really good, definitely better than what Fire Emblem and Disgaea have been up to, but The Last Spell is on a completely different level, combat wise.

(also on Switch and PSN)

Last edited:

Draugoth

Gold Member
Rebirth if you want to participate in a 100 hour long journey and bound with some characters

Unicorn Overlord if you like big titted anime girls

Last edited:

Mattdaddy

Gold Member
If Remake was a 7/10 for you then Rebirth is probably gonna be a 9/10 or 10/10. Its a far better game than Remake!

Unicorn Overlord is lots of fun but its definitely getting repetitive. Im about 40hrs in and ready for it wrap up and i've still got 2 continents left. I feel like they probably could have trimmed this thing down by like 30-40%.

Last edited:

TintoConCasera

The second one was a 2D platformer with co op correct?

The first one is trying to be like Zelda ocarina of time. Third person adventure game.
Yep, I think the 2nd is a throwback to the SNES one, with explorable towns and sidescroller platformer stages.

Game's fun as hell and the music is the shit.

I feel both are great, but I voted for UO just because I like the devs a little more and they had made some of my favorite games.

Unicorn Overlord if you like big titted anime girls

won't that also apply to Rebirth? I mean, it does have the famous Italian senator after all. :messenger_beaming:

feynoob

Huh? Where is this news? If it’s coming by holiday I could maybe hold out? But if this is you projecting or hypothetical wishing lol…
It was free on the PS+ selection.
Maybe Sony will do a ps+ in 1 year from now.

Last edited:

Aion002

If you like FFVII: Rebirth, easily.

I love FFVII, so Rebirth is awesome for me, however, it does have some slow walking sequences that you seem to strongly dislike and there is quite some bloat (mostly side quests that are optional).

But it's way better than Remake, for sure.

If you played 6 hours of Unicorn and disliked... You should probably skip it.

Arsic

Ok this may help me finally decide:

In remake I skipped all extra side quests aside from the boss fights like shiva.

Will I be able to do that here? I don’t need a 150 hour game. I would like a 50 hour rpg that’s focused. If it goes beyond that it just needs to be extremely compelling.

Aion002

In remake I skipped all extra side quests aside from the boss fights like shiva.

Will I be able to do that here? I don’t need a 150 hour game. I would like a 50 hour rpg that’s focused. If it goes beyond that it just needs to be extremely compelling.
Yes.

You can also play on easy to make things even faster.

You can finish the whole main story in less than 50 hours easily.

Last edited:

Draugoth

Gold Member
won't that also apply to Rebirth? I mean, it does have the famous Italian senator after all. :messenger_beaming:

Only Tifa is packing in Rebirth,

meanwhile Unicorn Overlord got the whole bakery

Celeste.%28Unicorn.Overlord%29.full.4151330.jpg
78bd5a19e8652a8febfc19d239efd0c7.jpg
__rosalinde_and_eltolinde_unicorn_overlord_drawn_by_dishui_tangni__sample-73c0b375691872b3a3819d84e0b9de21.jpg

Yes you can skip stuff. I did it for the first 10 hours or so, before I finally explored a region and realized it was really good. I was beelining everything before then and doing fine.

BossLackey

Gold Member
Unicorn Overlord.

I wanted to love Rebirth, but I've been pretty back and forth on it. Will probably give it another go at some point 🤷‍♂️

But Unicorn Overlord is just really scratching an itch for me. Also, and no one seems to be talking about this, the controls, menus, and generally just the UI and UX are fucking fantastic.

Feels like a dream to control and feels perfect on a controller. Every menu has exactly the information I want/need, is incredibly clear on what I'm seeing, and feels intuitive to navigate.

Not to mention the absurdly attractive art and all the options that keep opening up for strategies.

Arsic

Downloaded Animal Well cuz it’s free in my PlayStation plus premium.

And got unicorn overlord.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
I was a lot more satisfied with Unicorn Overlord. The production value of Rebirth was good. I think if I had to choose between mini games and team building, Unicorn Overlord would be my top choice. One of my personal favorites this year.

near

Gold Member
If you want to play FF7 go play the original. If you want something new, interesting, unique and fun, buy Unicorn Overlord.

You actually have far more control over how battles play out, but those mechanics are spoon-fed to you in order for you to grasp the game organically. It's better than the gambit system in FFXII and I looooooooooove that game.

near

Gold Member
Considering they both have demos, I'd ignore everyone's opinion and just give them a shot.
He played both demos, it's right there in the op:

FF7 Rebirth:
"-Rebirth demo wasn’t good. The slow walking fire shit. Ugh."

Unicorn Overlord
"-I tried the 6 hour demo and the combat really didn’t click with me since you just watch it play and you can skip it. It lacked player engagement. I want to play a game."

He played both demos, it's right there in the op:

FF7 Rebirth:
"-Rebirth demo wasn’t good. The slow walking fire shit. Ugh."

Unicorn Overlord
"-I tried the 6 hour demo and the combat really didn’t click with me since you just watch it play and you can skip it. It lacked player engagement. I want to play a game."
I know. So now he should follow his own opinion on it. That's my advice. Maybe I worded that incorrectly.

Top Bottom