• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FF7 to play the original or dive right into remake before Rebirth?

Meifu

I'm honestly so torn on this,

I know the remake iterates and makes a bunch of references to the 1997 original. Should I make the effort to play that first or are people over exaggerating?

Part of the draw to me was non turn based full on action in the remake. Am I really missing out by skipping the OG?

DonF

I mean, of course you will get more enjoyment if you play the original, but the game stands on its own. Some of the big themes of remake are actually the changes to the original. But you can watch a YouTube video to get an idea.

Play remake first.

You only won't understand what's going on until the ending. If you make it that far then your probably hooked and can then try the OG

The OG is a classic and my favourite game ever buts it's definitely old and dated in some ways.

The remake is a modern game so I think will be easier to get into. I think the gameplay is excellent and definitely more balanced and thought out than the original.

Punished Miku

Gold Member
I can't imagine playing the entire original and then wanting to play the remake right after. I'd say play the original, and then play the remake when all 3 are done in like 4 years. But you know, your call.

killatopak

Remake is fine but to truly experience it you have to play the original.

There’s too many stuff they added in that makes it better if you know the context of the changes.

Reactions: K2D
Play the original, it will put the remakes into perspective.

Spoiler: the Remake is not an actual Remake in the sense of a gfx overall the term remake is an indication of story. Hope that helps

Meifu

Important context, every FF I've played, which only includes 15 and 16 I've thought the plot was Ass, but loved the gameplay world and some of the character stuff . Idk if the vibe is same here

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
I was in the same spot.
I never played original and only played Remake 2 years ago - IT WAS AWESOME.
And I did attempted to play original this year, modded and all but only made it up to the same part remake ends... and imo remake is better.

I am not going to spoil the story by playing original ff7 any further. I want to take on Rebirth spoiler free.
And at this point, you will not magically gain 30 years of nostalgia for game you never played as a child.

Remake though.... is 100% mandatory before rebirth. no matter if you played original or not. Rebirth is a more of a sequel to remake than another "remake" of original game.

tl:dr my advice. Don't play origina. play remake. In fact - I want to replay remake before rebirth. it's so good

Last edited:

Neilg

Play the re-release of the original with 3x speed on and the cheats, treat it like a visual novel and you'll be done in 15 hours.

• Empathy
I was in the same spot.
I never played original and only played Remake 2 years ago - IT WAS AWESOME.
And I did attempted to play original this year, modded and all but only made it up to the same part remake ends... and imo remake is better.

I am not going to spoil the story by playing original ff7 any further. I want to take on Rebirth spoiler free.
And at this point, you will not magically gain 30 years of nostalgia for game you never played as a child.

Remake though.... is 100% mandatory before rebirth. no matter if you played original or not. Rebirth is a more of a sequel to remake than another "remake" of original game.

tl:dr my advice. Don't play origina. play remake
Original cant spoil the remake thats the point. Its a side story

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Original cant spoil the remake thats the point. Its a side story
Of course it can. As I've said. I played original midgard in 2023 and it's bit for bit all in the remake + much much more.
The story ghosts and ending being the only difference. Nothing major and very easy to understand in remake without playing the original.

It's too late to play original. Spoilers will be too fresh in his/or my mind and comparison to rebirth will be to clear.
And it's juts a clunk of a game to play in 2024 without that nostalgia... it's got it's charm but you really gotta be in the deep old clunk mood

Miyazaki’s Slave

Gold Member
Depends on your tastes and experience in gaming I would say (this isn't a belittling comment) if you were not born when FF7 came out on the Playstation skip it. If you started playing games in the PS3/Xbox 360 area the remake is where I think you should start.
My nephew recently asked me the exact same question, he was born in 2003, I bought him FF7 on steam and he bounced off of it within 2 hours.

I sent him Remake+Integrade and he devoured it.

Just my opinion based off of a recent interaction.

Last edited:
Of course it can. As I've said. I played original midgard in 2023 and it's bit for bit all in the remake + much much more.
The story ghosts and ending being the only difference. Nothing major and very easy to understand in remake without playing the original.

It's too late to play original. Spoilers will be too fresh in his/or my mind and comparison to rebirth will be to clear.
And it's juts a clunk of a game to play in 2024 without that nostalgia... it's got it's charm but you really gotta be in the deep old clunk mood
You dont understand the underlying story then my friend, most likely because you didnt play the original and see fragments out of context

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
For some reason people dont seem to understand this
What?
Everyone knows this. Nothing surprising.
But it's all clear even without playing the original first.
It's not some rocket science. it is VERY clear where it deviates from original.
And the ending to remake is something nobody full understand yet

What?
Everyone knows this. Nothing surprising.
But it's all clear even without playing the original first.
It's not some rocket science. it is VERY clear where it deviates from original.
And the ending to remake is something nobody full understand yet
Its not clear and obvious unless you played the original there are things you dont understand i promise you. The original is its own game remake is a side story to that.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
You dont understand the underlying story then my friend, most likely because you didnt play the original and see fragments out of context
I know the story up do exiting midgar in remake and original. That's all I need for rebirth.
I know the big spoiler. Everyone knows it. I've seen the scene on youtube... so there is that. But I know nothing else about original ff7.

It could be a valid, interesting experience going to rebirth FULLY FRESH.
How many original ff7 fans would love to forget it and get it fresh again? that's the dream or many. AND I HAVE THAT CHANCE... somehwat

Go_Ly_Dow

I'd say play the original, but focus just on the story, use cheats//no random encounters etc.. or whatever to beat it in good time. Then crack on with Remake (skip the sidequests). The original is an exceptional game and with no random encounters its less of a chore if you're not used to PS1 style JRPGs.

Or alternatively, find a very good story only playthrough of the OG that you'd enjoy and watch it before playing the remake.

Last edited:
I strongly advice playing the original. If you cannot play it now, do it before the final game of the saga.

It's hard to elaborate on this without spoiling stuff.

Last edited:

Muffdraul

As someone who played OG FFVII a ludicrous number of times back in the day, I'm probably biased. But it really felt to me like FFVII Remake totally assumed you were very familiar with the original. I assume Rebirth will feel like that to me as well.

Remake/Rebirth or not, I recommend playing OG FFVII just because it's one of the most iconic games of all time. It's still very a much a part of what gaming is today.

I know the story up do exiting midgar in remake and original. That's all I need for rebirth.
I know the big spoiler. Everyone knows it. I've seen the scene on youtube... so there is that. But I know nothing else about original ff7.

It could be a valid, interesting experience going to rebirth FULLY FRESH.
How many original ff7 fans would love to forget it and get it fresh again? that's the dream or many. AND I HAVE THAT CHANCE... somehwat
Dude its not that simple. The reason remakes story exists is because deviation from the original and what happend to sephiroth in the life stream...

If all you need to do is to play up through midgar in the original to get context then tell me. Why is Sephiroth the antagonist what is his relationship to Cloud who is Zack exactly and why do you run into sephiroth in Midgar in the remake, and why does Sephiroth kill Barrett (kinda) ? If you cant answer these simple questions you dont relize how impportans the originals story is to remake

The remake may as well be a completely different game.

If you want to play the modern game, do that. If you want to play one of the best JRPG ever made, play the original.

I finally played through FF7 on PS1 last year and it made most other games seem worthless in comparison. It’s that good.

Last edited:

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Dude its not that simple. The reason remakes story exists is because deviation from the original and what happend to sephiroth in the life stream...

If all you need to do is to play up through midgar in the original to get context then tell me. Why is Sephiroth the antagonist what is his relationship to Cloud who is Zack exactly and why do you run into sephiroth in Midgar in the remake, and why does Sephiroth kill Barrett (kinda) ? If you cant answer these simple questions you dont relize how impportans the originals story is to remake
And i will be happy to learn all that and more in rebnirth and 3rd game !!! I don't need original to explain it to me.
besides, I have my hunches what's going on.
And afaik, zack was barely mentioned in original anyway. They kinda make it clear that him "existing" is a surprise

OP if playing an old style game is difficult for you for technical reasons atleast whatc a story breakdown. Context of remakes events is important

Deft Beck

You should really play the original if you have the time. If you're in a hurry, play with triple speed as another poster said.

If you really want to skip to Remake, look up a recap video of the original.

Sleepwalker

Depends on your tastes and experience in gaming I would say (this isn't a belittling comment) if you were not born when FF7 came out on the Playstation skip it. If you started playing games in the PS3/Xbox 360 area the remake is where I think you should start.
My nephew recently asked me the exact same question, he was born in 2003, I bought him FF7 on steam and he bounced off of it within 2 hours.

I sent him Remake+Integrade and he devoured it.

Just my opinion based off of a recent interaction.

I actually never played FF7, started last year on the Vita and made it to a point where you have to stop a train from crashing into a town (keeping it vague for spoilers here). But haven't had the motivation to pick it back up. I already have rebirth preordered and own remake but haven't played it. I will beat it this month before Rebirth.

Trying to get myself to beat the original too but not sure I will make it.

Dazraell

I'm gonna try to remain as much spoiler free, but it's really useful to play FFVII before Remake as its story has some interesting things going on that directly ties to the original game and they're quite big when you understand what these references are actually implying

If you are not into playing the original, Remake is more than enough. The other game that is worth to play is Crisis Core as based on what Square already revealed, the lead character of that game will play a larger role in Rebirth's story

And i will be happy to learn all that and more in rebnirth and 3rd game !!! I don't need original to explain it to me.
besides, I have my hunches what's going on.
And afaik, zack was barely mentioned in original anyway. They kinda make it clear that him "existing" is a surprise
Thats like saying im cool with just episode 5 and 6 for starwars no need for 4 ill piece it together.

How do you know Zack is barley mentioned in the original? You only played through Midgar 🤣

• Thoughtful

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Thats like saying im cool with just episode 5 and 6 for starwars no need for 4 ill piece it together.

How do you know Zack is barley mentioned in the original? You only played through Midgar 🤣
As everyone, I looked for reddit posts after finishing remake lol.
and ending to remake makes it clear, zack is dead. he died protecting cloud in the past. but he is back. Timelines have changed. Maybe plot ghosts steered him!

Crayon

This is a case where I'd say play the original first. A) it's a great game that holds up just fine B) It would help appreciate the remake more. Mostly spending a good 40 hours with those characters, then meeting them again in all their remake glory.

As everyone, I looked for reddit posts after finishing remake lol.
and ending to remake makes it clear, zack is dead. he died protecting cloud in the past. but he is back. Timelines have changed. Maybe plot ghosts steered him!
This post shows you need to put things into context like i have said. You should atleast watch a youtube video with a detailed story breakdown. Zack is indeed a big part of the original. You wont be spoiling anything unless it is a 1 for 1 remake which it isnt, why the orginals story matters here

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
This post shows you need to put things into context like i have said. You should atleast watch a youtube video with a detailed story breakdown. Zack is indeed a big part of the original. You wont be spoiling anything unless it is a 1 for 1 remake which it isnt, why the orginals story matters here
And I am sure these "dream/remembering past" scenes will be in rebirth too.
In fact, it will be a good experiment for us.

I will play rebirth "blind" with only having finished the remake.
You have knowledge of original. We can come back in march and compare our impressions.
I woudn't want you too explain me anything but we can see how much stuff I will miss/not get.

Go_Ly_Dow

I will add I've have several friends who played the remake without playing the original. They had no knowledge about the story but they loved Remake and become attached to the characters and engrossed by the story. I've also seen this with several streamers who have dived into remake and loved it and are hyped for Rebirth. So the original isn't essential to enjoy 7R, but it's just logical to play it before if you have the time.

And I am sure these "dream/remembering past" scenes will be in rebirth too.
In fact, it will be a good experiment for us.

I will play rebirth "blind" with only having finished the remake.
You have knowledge of original. We can come back in march and compare our impressions.
I woudn't want you too explain me anything but we can see how much stuff I will miss/not get.
Deal

Top Bottom