• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FF7 to play the original or dive right into remake before Rebirth?

I didn't play the Remake so I can't say much here, but considering you dislike turn based combat, forcing yourself to play it, it's not gonna last very long. Because you will be doing A LOT of turn based battles.

But, two things, the game aged incredibly well. Besides arguably the mini-games, and the 3d models (I say arguably about that one, because they have become iconic to many people).
And the characters, story, pacing, MUSIC, are all enough to keep you playing. Even if the gameplay is not your thing.

And on that gameplay point, FF 7 is the fastest gameplay wise, of the PS1 3D FF games (7 to 9).
9 plays like a Turtle on Heroin, and 8 is like a mix between 7 and 9, is slow but is also responsive.
FF 7 almost immediately gives you feedback.
Cloud, attack, he dashes over, attacks, and it's right back. Next.
It's very responsive and feels good.
You set the speed to hightest, and the battles fly through, and are really intense.

So, it's up to you, but I 100% recommend that you play it at some point. If you SHOULD play, to appreciate the changes and references of the Remake, that's something I can't say, I didn't play the Remake.

Hohenheim

I'll watch a quick recap of the first remake before starting Rebirth. I cannot play that snorefest again.
As for the original FF7, I feel that's best kept as a nostalgic memory of a perfect game, like it feels in my head. I don't wanna risk getting the feeling that it hasn't aged all that well.

Garibaldi

I've been playing the original on my Deck with a few mods (chibi style field models and battle models, up-resed and chibi style fmvs, 60fps etc) using the 7th Heaven Mod Manager. It's been great. Highly recommend a play thru of it before Rebirth.

I'll watch a quick recap of the first remake before starting Rebirth. I cannot play that snorefest again.
As for the original FF7, I feel that's best kept as a nostalgic memory of a perfect game, like it feels in my head. I don't wanna risk getting the feeling that it hasn't aged all that well.

The only parts of the OG that haven’t aged well are all the shitty minigames. You forget just how many, and how bad they were.

Krathoon

Of course it can. As I've said. I played original midgard in 2023 and it's bit for bit all in the remake + much much more.
The story ghosts and ending being the only difference. Nothing major and very easy to understand in remake without playing the original.

It's too late to play original. Spoilers will be too fresh in his/or my mind and comparison to rebirth will be to clear.
And it's juts a clunk of a game to play in 2024 without that nostalgia... it's got it's charm but you really gotta be in the deep old clunk mood
Yeah. You don't have to play the original the Remake is designed to stand on it's own.

Playing hrough original midgar after remake was dredful for me.
it has some charm to it but it's almost unplayable without nostalgia

Nothing wrong with feeling that way, but I don't really see how with the exception of Wall Market the whole thing is zip from location > location > location and is pretty brisk in terms of pace. I kind of feel the opposite.. "Thank god I don't have to deal with the extended train graveyard."

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Nothing wrong with feeling that way, but I don't really see how with the exception of Wall Market the whole thing is zip from location > location > location and is pretty brisk in terms of pace. I kind of feel the opposite.. "Thank god I don't have to deal with the extended train graveyard."
One of remake problems is it's pacing, true. But if you get into it, it is enjoyable.
You just have to expect it. I was annoyed by pacing on my first playthrough but I grew to like it once I stopped hurrying up

sendit

I'm honestly so torn on this,

I know the remake iterates and makes a bunch of references to the 1997 original. Should I make the effort to play that first or are people over exaggerating?

Part of the draw to me was non turn based full on action in the remake. Am I really missing out by skipping the OG?
Watch a YouTube video on the original for the story. No point in playing an ancient game.

Buggy Loop

Play the original and never touch the turd remake is also a valid option.

I finished remake but boy, by the end I was pissed. Early on the combat was fine but by the end I wanted to uninstall that shit. On top having such a long fucking part of the game with a point of no return for buying gems. And all the crawl through tight spaces… ugh.

Phase

I'm a firm believer in always playing the original first. Remasters rarely capture the exact same atmosphere, and that is always a huge proponent to these original successes.

Dynasty8

Play crisis core first of all.

I would avoid Crisis Core like the plague. It's a very bad game IMHO. It's an absolute cringe-fest and somehow makes the original's story worse...

Original FFVII is one of the best games of all time, but it might feel dated for some people. Luckily there are some awesome Steam mods to make it more "modern". Play however you want though.

The Remake is also great, but as some others have mentioned, it feels like a Remake/Sequel hybrid...hard to explain without spoiling it, but I think you are okay going straight into the Remake first...maybe try the original when there are less games to play.

Top Bottom