• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FF7 to play the original or dive right into remake before Rebirth?

The original is a seminal game. It’s worth playing to understand its legacy and impact.

If you fall down the rabbit hole and want to play it as it was originally intended you can, but the modern ports allow you to speed through the game in 10-15 hours with zero gameplay challenge (PC or console).

Whatever you do, do not start Rebirth until you finish Remake.

Interfectum

OP: You really need to understand that FF7Remake (and Rebirth) are sequels to FF7 OG. The developers will put in a SHIT TON of easter eggs and references about the OG and, again, this series is a sequel, not a replacement. Play the OG on PS5. You will thank me later.

Oh, also you need to play Crisis Core too.

So: FF7OG -> Crisis Core PS5 -> FF7R series

Put in the work and you will enjoy it so much more.

Last edited:

Dazraell

If you fall down the rabbit hole and want to play it as it was originally intended you can, but the modern ports allow you to speed through the game in 10-15 hours with zero gameplay challenge (PC or console).
My friend was recently playing FFVII on Steam and turns out the PC port doesn't have the same enhancements that are on consoles. You can enable some of them with some mods, I believe

Interfectum

The original isn't that long. It should only take a day or so if you don't get lost in side quests.
You can beat the original in like 20 hours, then Crisis Core in like 10. Knock them down to easy and go through them.

~ 30 hours a prep for the FF7R series

Last edited:
Reactions: K2D

Neilg

at this point, maybe watch in on yt? Any good let's plays ?

I wouldn't, the whole point of playing in 3x speed with cheats like a visual novel is so you can press x when you're done reading the text and go at your pace. someone else being in control of the pace would be annoying.

• Empathy
Do like me and just watched Advent Children and dive into the Remake. After that, play Crisis Core Reunion and then go into Rebirth.

• Empathy

Yumi

I’m probably in the minority, but I wish I didn’t have the knowledge of the original. For me FF7 remake proved they know exactly what they are doing. To be taken on that adventure for the first time with the quality of remake/rebirth would be awesome in my opinion.

Killjoy-NL

Just play the Remake, unless you're into retro-gaming.

FFVII was amazing at the time and the story will always be good, but gameplay and design feels archaic.

Last edited:

Kuranghi

I played the original as a boy but I didn't understand RPGs back then so bounced off it early on. I really want to play Rebirth, so I'm going to jump into Intergrade this year, these games are so beautiful. I'm not a big RPG guy even now, will the game still be enjoyable if I play on the easiest difficulty or should I push to Normal? I just found the health bars too big in the demo of FF7 Remake, it wasn't too hard for me, it was just a bit boring hitting trash mobs so many times.

I wish there was a custom difficulty where I could have everything the same as normal (or even hard) but with smaller health bars for the enemies.

I’m probably in the minority, but I wish I didn’t have the knowledge of the original. For me FF7 remake proved they know exactly what they are doing. To be taken on that adventure for the first time with the quality of remake/rebirth would be awesome in my opinion.

I like the sound of this, I shall take your advice.

Last edited:

You need that knowledge to fully understand the foreshadowing they are doing for the next games.
The "remake" is a sequel in a parallel timeline.

Important context, every FF I've played, which only includes 15 and 16 I've thought the plot was Ass, but loved the gameplay world and some of the character stuff . Idk if the vibe is same here

Unfortunately the story quality in single-player FF games started to fall off after 10 and has never gotten back to the high level it was.

As far as FF7 Remake goes, you can totally play it without playing the original first. There are a couple moments (especially towards the end) that will be confusing, but honestly that confusion is unavoidable unless you're deeply familiar with the other FF7 Compilation works besides just the original game. The other 99% of the game is pretty straightforward.

Dis

Cant make a joke about this game it just feels so wrong.

Best game ever❤️

Last edited:

A.Romero

Straight to the remake, skip the spoilers. The original is a great game for it's time but unless you are into retro gaming it will be a pain.

You don't need the context of the original to play remake and I think skipping original you will enjoy the remake even more due to the lack of spoilers.

• Empathy

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
I'm honestly so torn on this,

I know the remake iterates and makes a bunch of references to the 1997 original. Should I make the effort to play that first or are people over exaggerating?

Part of the draw to me was non turn based full on action in the remake. Am I really missing out by skipping the OG?

If you play the original, you will of course have a much better/deeper appreciation of the remake series. But should you?

If you have 20-30 hours to spend to play some iconic gaming history - play the original
If you don't have a lot of time, and you want to get caught up before Rebirth releases in about a month - just play Remake part 1
If you are okay with PS1-era graphics - play the original
If you like classic JRPG style games - play the original
If you hate turn based games - I'd say give it a fair shot, but perhaps you'd better stick to the remakes.

My personal experience says that you are missing out if you don't play the original, but that's my own nostalgia talking. The devs designed the game so that you can jump into only the remakes themselves if you choose so.

Figure out how many of those points I listed above apply to you, and then decide accordingly.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
You should really play the original if you have the time. If you're in a hurry, play with triple speed as another poster said.

If you really want to skip to Remake, look up a recap video of the original.

Personally, I would advise watching a recap. If you're going to experience the story for the first time via the remake series, just play the remakes on themselves and experience the story as it unfolds via gameplay.

Kssio_Aug

At this point just play the Remake. And if you like the characters, you eventually play the original if you're in the mood for some retro gaming. The original is amazing, but it's a 1997 game, so you probably won't have the same experience as people who played it back then anyway. And also, they're pretty much two different games now.

cash_longfellow

Gold Member

I know the remake iterates and makes a bunch of references to the 1997 original. Should I make the effort to play that first or are people over exaggerating?

Part of the draw to me was non turn based full on action in the remake. Am I really missing out by skipping the OG?
Remake is solid, but don’t force yourself to play it if you don’t want. Just watch a YouTube video synopsis if you want an update on the changes with the story (they are so minor it’s not worth playing through a 40 hour game for them if you haven’t already).

You should pretty much play the real game so you know what a tragic liberty they've taken with the license in Remake and probably Rebirth. There's always the chance also that you absolutely love when the train goes off rails and in that case you'd just "appreciate" Remake more.

Original - Advent Children Complete movie - Remake - Rebirth

I'll probably get flak for suggesting ACC but I really think it should be watched before Remake.

As for Crisis Core Reunion, if you feel like fitting that in, do it after OG/ACC and before Remake.

Last edited:

K2D

Banned
Only skip if you're absolute set on never playing the original FF7..

Do what ever. Chances are you'll have less incentive and enjoyment of revisiting og FF7 after Rebirth. They're fleshing out and embellishing all the same story beats after all..

It's worth playing for the story, but you won't have a great experience if you force yourself and end up not finding any enjoyment in combat/artstyle/rpg mechanics..

If you think you can learn to like a +20 year old game dispite it's warts and wrinkles, I'd HIGHLY recommend playing it first.

Original - Advent Children Complete movie - Remake - Rebirth

I'll probably get flak for suggesting ACC but I really think it should be watched before Remake.

As for Crisis Core Reunion, if you feel like fitting that in, do it after OG/ACC and before Remake.

*Directors Cut of Advent Children..

Play the re-release of the original with 3x speed on and the cheats, treat it like a visual novel and you'll be done in 15 hours.

I'd rather watch a Let's Play or skip all side content/do a guided run than use cheats. Ever. I hate this take.

This is absolutely fine and I'd give the same advice with the caviat that if they like Remake they should go back and try og FF7.

This post shows you need to put things into context like i have said. You should atleast watch a youtube video with a detailed story breakdown. Zack is indeed a big part of the original. You wont be spoiling anything unless it is a 1 for 1 remake which it isnt, why the orginals story matters here

Only thing you're spoiling is the actual plot twists and general enjoyment of playing og FF7..

Last edited:
Do what ever. Chances are you'll have less incentive and enjoyment of revisiting og FF7 after Rebirth. They're fleshing out and embellishing all the same story beats after all..

It's worth playing for the story, but you won't have a great experience if you force yourself and end up not finding any enjoyment in combat/artstyle/rpg mechanics..

If you think you can learn to like a +20 year old game dispite it's warts and wrinkles, I'd HIGHLY recommend playing it first.

*Directors Cut of Advent Children..

I'd rather watch a Let's Play or skip all side content/do a guided run than use cheats. Ever. I hate this take.

This is absolutely fine and I'd give the same advice with the caviat that if they like Remake they should go back and try og FF7.

Only thing you're spoiling is the actual plot twists and general enjoyment of playing og FF7..
Im not trying to be that guy and ruin stuff for ppl but the irony of folks saying OG will spoil the remake is insane to me.

Ozzie666

The original hasn't aged well. Those long summons, some of the mehcanics are very difficult to play now. Back when we had help strategy guides. It was a very different time and you can miss so many secrets.

The remakes without knowledge of the original story, would be lacking though. The remakes are almost a love letter and appology to fans at the same time. If you do the remake first, good game, but you'll be left missing so much of the meaning and importance of throwbacks.

zokie

SQUARE ENIX today released the “Story So Far” recap video for FINAL FANTASY™ VII REBIRTH, which will be viewable from the game’s main menu when it debuts on Feb. 29, 2024, for the PlayStation®5 (PS5®) console. The refresher video is narrated by Red XIII, a beast with a flaming tail who offers words of wisdom to Cloud’s party from time to time. Red XIII recaps the events of FINAL FANTASY VII REMAKE, the first installment in the critically acclaimed FINAL FANTASY VII remake project.

Preorder any digital edition of the game to get the following bonus item:

• Moogle Trio Summoning Materia (in game item)
What’s more, if you have a save file from FINAL FANTASY VII REMAKE, FINAL FANTASY VII REMAKE INTERGRADE or FF7R EPISODE INTERmission, you will be able to claim the following items in FINAL FANTASY REBIRTH:

FINAL FANTASY VII REMAKE (PS4 / PS5) save file
  • Summon Materia: Leviathan
FINAL FANTASY VII REMAKE EPISODE INTERmission save file
  • Summon Materia: Ramuh
Please note that save data must be saved on the PS5 system.

depending on your preference , there's a recap video in Rebirth if you decide not to play FFVII Remake intergrade

Do note that remake/intergrade save files does unlock summons in Rebirth

Last edited:

K2D

Banned
Im not trying to be that guy and ruin stuff for ppl but the irony of folks saying OG will spoil the remake is insane to me.

Yeah, I feel it's clear as day that it's the other way around..

I would not have had the same incentive, hype and anticipation without playing og first.

Monkey's Paw - You forget, but then lose interest, fall off and never play the games again.

Would be great though, to take a pill and momentarily forget a past memory, and the regain the old and new memories after you've replayed a game.

at this point, maybe watch in on yt? Any good let's plays ?

Search for *Blind* playthrough, sort by popularity, and choose one that narrates perhaps and doesnt sound annoying..?

Last edited:

K2D

Banned
Remake is solid, but don’t force yourself to play it if you don’t want. Just watch a YouTube video synopsis if you want an update on the changes with the story (they are so minor it’s not worth playing through a 40 hour game for them if you haven’t already).

I hate synopses. I'd prefer a popular blind playthrough (youtube vod preferably - easier to skim through).

FunkMiller

If you can accept the horribly dated graphics, slow pace, text boxes and other Ps1 era jank, then definitely play the original game. It's one of the best ever made. If you want to get the full experience of the remake, it almost requires that you've played the original... for reasons which I won't go into here.

Last edited:

cash_longfellow

Gold Member
I hate synopses. I'd prefer a popular blind playthrough (youtube vod preferably - easier to skim through).
I prefer to play through it myself personally. I don’t watch vids, unless it’s something I’ve played through before as a catch up. I played FF7 remake twice since it came out, but just watched a quick run down video on YouTube just to remember what happened at the end of the remake going into part 2.

Zelduh

Play the original and then don't ever play the remake, it's shit and will retroactively destroy your enjoyment of the original and the entire franchise in general

hollams

Gold Member
I started playing the OG on PS5 and then went to youtube and started watching a playthrough from a fully modded PC version and I think I'll stick with doing that. The modded PC version looks really good and being able to skip through the battles is a great time saver. This is the first time I've ever watched a full playthrough of a game.

Neff

I can't imagine playing the entire original and then wanting to play the remake right after.

I got a young lad at work to give the original a try in the lead-up to Remake part 1 and he ended up loving both. He's now eagerly awaiting part 2.

I played original midgard in 2023 and it's bit for bit all in the remake + much much more.
The story ghosts and ending being the only difference.

It's clear that part 2 and 3 are going to diverge wildly from the original story.

Judging off the trailers... Yes.

FqHGzb.gif

Last edited:
100% play the original first. I did the same and it has become one of my favorite FRANCHISES of all time. It'll have the maximum meteoric impact on you and your love of these games.

Noxxera

If you like how the original looks and plays you can absolutely play it first, but otherwise I'd prolly recommend you to play the remakes. If you feel wanting more after finishing them you can start up the original.

Just a slight note tho; the remake rewards you if you've played the OG first, since the story is literally altered in the remake. But I dont know how you would care about that. I'm sure the remake is solid for you but yeah, it's story is altered from the OG. But broadly it's the same story.

Last edited:

sigmaZ

Unless you grew up with games that generation, just skip the original unless it calls to you. You're gonna get a more modern experience with the new games.

As far as I've been told (haven't played the remake, still waiting over 10 years for them to finish the game), the remake makes some changes to the plot, and also by playing the original, you're gonna probably get spoiled with what's next to come. You do you

Yumi

You need that knowledge to fully understand the foreshadowing they are doing for the next games.
The "remake" is a sequel in a parallel timeline.
Honestly it’s why I like the remake so much. It caters to both people who have played the original and those who haven’t.

My best friend finished it recently with no prior knowledge and absolutely loved it. A lot of the stuff we connected dots to knowing the previous game (and extended universe) led to more intrigue for my friend.

I was worried that not getting that depth for a new player would be detrimental. I asked him if the game felt like a complete package and he said absolutely. So at least for him it wasn’t required.

I believe you can’t go wrong either way. But I do think going back to the original after completing the remakes would be a unique perspective, and I personally don’t think the original is required to play the remakes.

That being said, if you are someone who likes to indulge and media surrounding a game after you’ve played it (like deep dives, speculation, etc.) it might be worth playing the original. I don’t see anyone having conversations about rebirth without talking about the original.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Honestly it’s why I like the remake so much. It caters to both people who have played the original and those who haven’t.

My best friend finished it recently with no prior knowledge and absolutely loved it. A lot of the stuff we connected dots to knowing the previous game (and extended universe) led to more intrigue for my friend.

I was worried that not getting that depth for a new player would be detrimental. I asked him if the game felt like a complete package and he said absolutely. So at least for him it wasn’t required.

I believe you can’t go wrong either way. But I do think going back to the original after completing the remakes would be a unique perspective, and I personally don’t think the original is required to play the remakes.

That being said, if you are someone who likes to indulge and media surrounding a game after you’ve played it (like deep dives, speculation, etc.) it might be worth playing the original. I don’t see anyone having conversations about rebirth without talking about the original.
Playing hrough original midgar after remake was dredful for me.
it has some charm to it but it's almost unplayable without nostalgia

Top Bottom