• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FFVII Rebirth Graphics or Performance Mode?

Perfomance vs Graphics Mode

• Graphics, 30fps - Higher Res

Votes: 115 42.8%
  • Perfomance, 60fps - Lower Res (Terrible TAA)

Votes: 103 38.3%
  • Graphics, 30fps - Higher Res (OLED)

Votes: 26 9.7%
  • Perfomance, 60fps - Lower Res (Terrible TAA) (OLED)

Votes: 25 9.3%

• Total voters

DeVeAn

I can't seem to nail down which mode to use because they both have bad trade-offs that look bad on my LG CX at 4k. Performance mode looks downright bad, looks like it's running at 720p at times in the open world and it ruins the visuals of the game. But then I'll switch to graphics mode and the 30fps cap looks stuttery like it's poorly frame paced. Not sure what to do because I'm not happy with either mode
Right there with ya. Still just 5 hours in and keep putting off continuing.

Traxtech

I can't seem to nail down which mode to use because they both have bad trade-offs that look bad on my LG CX at 4k. Performance mode looks downright bad, looks like it's running at 720p at times in the open world and it ruins the visuals of the game. But then I'll switch to graphics mode and the 30fps cap looks stuttery like it's poorly frame paced. Not sure what to do because I'm not happy with either mode
Bump your sharpness up to 20-30 or so and use super resolution on high in soft performance mode. Huge difference

Clearly graphics. Yes 60fps in some games is nice, but Rebirth feels and looks perfectly fine even at 30fps. Might be because I am 42 and grow up with games, where not even a stable 30fps was very common, but like I said I feel like in Rebirth it does not really matter.

Psychostar

Clearly graphics. Yes 60fps in some games is nice, but Rebirth feels and looks perfectly fine even at 30fps. Might be because I am 42 and grow up with games, where not even a stable 30fps was very common, but like I said I feel like in Rebirth it does not really matter.
I'm 33 this year. Every time I read through these related comment boards I always have to wonder if there is something wrong with me lol. I have played this game on graphics mode and honestly couldn't find any problems with it. If I'm not playing an fps game, I don't feel like I need the game to run like a hot knife through butter? I've managed to beat all of the content and never felt like I didn't have enough smoothness to do that. If anything, these more cinematic experiences feel weird when being run too quickly sometimes.

I've got an LG C2, so maybe that's why? Could it just be that I have a decent tv that prevents what feels like all of these exaggerated comments? hahaha I will just have to consider myself lucky I guess.

Zuzu

My brain seems to have gotten used to the 30fps mode and I’m having a good time. If Square releases a ps5 pro patch then I might play through again after on performance mode but for now I’m quite content with quality mode and it isn’t bothering me too much. I hope they’ll do a pro patch though. (Playing on an Oled.)

Last edited:
I'm just gonna wait until the Pro comes out and play it then, fuck playing 'performance' at 720 blur (apparently it bottoms around 1080 but it sure doesn't look it at times) and even more fuck playing in treacle 30.

Last edited:

Giallo Corsa

Gold Member
I'm 33 this year. Every time I read through these related comment boards I always have to wonder if there is something wrong with me lol. I have played this game on graphics mode and honestly couldn't find any problems with it. If I'm not playing an fps game, I don't feel like I need the game to run like a hot knife through butter? I've managed to beat all of the content and never felt like I didn't have enough smoothness to do that. If anything, these more cinematic experiences feel weird when being run too quickly sometimes.

I've got an LG C2, so maybe that's why? Could it just be that I have a decent tv that prevents what feels like all of these exaggerated comments? hahaha I will just have to consider myself lucky I guess.

It's because you have a C2 that you "should" be having problems friend, it is an OLED after all which means judder at anything below 60fps, basically, it's the exact opposite of what you're suggesting 😁

Also, It's not because you're "old" or because you've been gaming for ages or 'cause we've all been spoiled, it's just that A) you don't/never cared for such things, B) You can't perceive drops/stutters/judder/whatever and C) both.

It's the same exact thing with the PS Portal right now - the handheld has some obvious limitations (59.96Hz stutter) which is WELL catalogued and can be proven by actual facts (video evidence/hundreds of posts online/Digital foundry mention) and yet, there's people repeating "LOL MINE IS FLAWLESS IT MUST BE YOUR WI-FI/ROUTER !11! ".
Some people just aren't sensitive or don't know what to look for when it comes to these things, and talking about the C2 again (or any OLED in this case), you should be having more problems on it compared to a FALD/LED/MicroLED TV set, personally, I can't do 30fps games anymore on my C2 due to said OLED judder to the point of having known it beforehand, I'd have opted for a FALD/MicroLED set.

Cheers

Last edited:

Bojji

Listen to John here, he is almost an expert when it comes to screens (timestamped):

OLED with fast pixel response is more in line with CRTs and Plasma, 30FPS is just bad standard (slightly less annoying on LCD screens). Developers just need to implement 30fps properly and it can be decent enough, but without any camera motion blur it looks like shit - Rebirth is unplayable in 30FPS (to me) while I can play TLoU2 (PS4 version on PS5) no problem in 30FPS.

Last edited:

RJMacready73

Simps for Amouranth
It's because you have a C2 that you "should" be having problems friend, it is an OLED after all which means judder at anything below 60fps, basically, it's the exact opposite of what you're suggesting 😁

Also, It's not because you're "old" or because you've been gaming for ages or 'cause we've all been spoiled, it's just that A) you don't/never cared for such things, B) You can't perceive drops/stutters/judder/whatever and C) both.

It's the same exact thing with the PS Portal right now - the handheld has some obvious limitations (59.96Hz stutter) which is WELL catalogued and can be proven by actual facts (video evidence/hundreds of posts online/Digital foundry mention) and yet, there's people repeating "LOL MINE IS FLAWLESS IT MUST BE YOUR WI-FI/ROUTER !11! ".
Some people just aren't sensitive or don't know what to look for when it comes to these things, and talking about the C2 again (or any OLED in this case), you should be having more problems on it compared to a FALD/LED/MicroLED TV set, personally, I can't do 30fps games anymore on my C2 due to said OLED judder to the point of having known it beforehand, I'd have opted for a FALD/MicroLED set.

Cheers

Thank fuck I either can't see it or simply ignore it but I've never seen this judder people mention on my CX and I mainly play all my games in Graphics Heur mode at 30 and it's always pretty fluid

Giallo Corsa

Gold Member
Thank fuck I either can't see it or simply ignore it but I've never seen this judder people mention on my CX and I mainly play all my games in Graphics Heur mode at 30 and it's always pretty fluid

That's perfectly fine, RJ. In fact, I envy you. ;)

Again, it's all about perception. Some people can see it, others can't and that's okay.

I, for one, have been able to notice framerate issues, judder and stutter long before I even knew the technical terms for them—going back more than 30-35 years.

I can overlook a few frame drops here and there when there's a lot happening on the screen, but stutters and judder are where I draw the line brother, I just can't handle it anymore, and my OLED C2 only exacerbates the issue to the point where I can't play games at 30fps anymore.

Cheers

Top Bottom