• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FFVII Rebirth Graphics or Performance Mode?

Perfomance vs Graphics Mode

• Graphics, 30fps - Higher Res

Votes: 115 42.8%
  • Perfomance, 60fps - Lower Res (Terrible TAA)

Votes: 103 38.3%
  • Graphics, 30fps - Higher Res (OLED)

Votes: 26 9.7%
  • Perfomance, 60fps - Lower Res (Terrible TAA) (OLED)

Votes: 25 9.3%

• Total voters

Fbh

Yesterday was tough but today I am used to 30.
The distant objects judder is really bad in panning shots at 24fps. 30 is much better. Far from ideal but makes me wish movies were 30fps not 24

Kinda off topic but I wish we'd finally move away from the 24fps standard for TV/Movies and embraced 30fps.
Specially now that the vast majority of content is made for streaming service which the vast majority of people are going to watch on a 60hz lcd screen.

So I’m updating from a 2008 Bravia lcd tv to a Bravia a80 oled this year.
Why are people saying 30 fps is worse on oleds?

OLEDs have a much faster response time than the average LCD.
The slower response time of LCD basically creates a sort "smearing/blurring" in between frames which can be desirable when playing/watching 30fps content.
30fps content on an OLED will look more juddery than on an LCD, specially during things like slow panning scenes.

That said IMO 30fps is still playable. I played through most of Tears of the Kingdom and FFXVI in 30fps on my C1 and it wasn't unplayable as some people here say.
But 60fps+ is obviously much nicer and personally I'll take 60fps and decent IQ over slightly better graphics any day.

Last edited:

NeonGhost

uses 'M$' - What year is it? Not 2002.
How did they fuck up performance mode so bad when games like red dead redemption came out last generation was full 4k on Xbox

TrebleShot

Pathetic in this day and age they should be ashamed of themselves I would even let my dog play this game. Bunch of cunts.

AngelMuffin

Tried them both a few times and I just don’t like the graphics mode at all. I don’t know if it’s the motion blur or what.

Surprised so many people are using graphics mode. I can't stand the blue when I'm trying to look around the world quickly. Performance is much better. I'll try Graphics mode on my OLED tonight see if it's better.

proandrad

Can Sony just send Insomniac Games tech team to show Square Enix how to make visual modes on PS5. No official 120hz 40fps VRR mode and a shitty looking vaseline performance mode. At this point they shouldn’t even bother adding anything other than the 30fps mode. Why throw in a half ass performance mode to make your game look unpolished? Guess I’ll just have to deal with subpar input lag and enable motion interpolation with bfi, just so the game doesn’t look like a judderfest when I move the camera. I would pay $1000 for ps5 pro at this point to not have to deal with this.

Last edited:
Can we have some info on this? is it the motion frame interpolation thingy that most tvs have?

Game Motion Plus is frame interpolation but very low input lag for Samsung TVs. Its been around from 2020, but only since 2023 has it been good enough to run with very minimal artifacting. Input lag on my TV is ~26ms when its turned on.

When you turn it on for 30 fps games, it makes it look like 40fps, and 60 fps games looks like at least 90fps.

Famipan

Samsung QD OLED baby 😎☺️. I just replayed remake in performance mode and it was great. Rebirth in performance is just so bad at 65 inches. There is no detail at all.

Graphics mode looks insanely crisp on my 65 inch OLED. And with Samsung game motion plus it smooths it out nicely with no judder and still plays at sub 30ms input lag.
Yes it’s a good idea to try the high graphics 30fps mode with Motion Smoothing/Interpolation whatever it’s called on your TV.
On LG C1 OLED TV you choose Normal picture mode instead of gaming mode > advanced settings > clarity or something and then it’s there somewhere. Set it to Natural or Smooth.

It might look like 40-60fps and the inputlag might not be too noticeable.

Last edited:

Bojji

Yes it’s a good idea to try the high graphics 30fps mode with Motion Smoothing/Interpolation whatever it’s called on your TV.
On LG C1 OLED TV you choose Normal picture mode instead of gaming mode > advanced settings > clarity or something and then it’s there somewhere. Set it to Natural or Smooth.

I tried it on B2, input lag is massive and motion looks like 60fps but there are a lot of artifacts around Cloud.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Gimme 45fps

Japanese clowns
45? Why not 44,7?
lol at least say 40 to not look like a lunatic
I tried it on B2, input lag is massive and motion looks like 60fps but there are a lot of artifacts around Cloud.
yeah don't do that. Input lag is huge and it looks like shit with interpolation.
30 is just fine. There isn't as much judder as on 24fps movies. There is some but as I slept on it, it looks better today :p BRAINS HOW DO THEY WORK.

buenoblue

45? Why not 44,7?

yeah don't do that. Input lag is huge and it looks like shit with interpolation.
30 is just fine. There isn't as much judder as on 24fps movies. There is some but as I slept on it, it looks better today :p BRAINS HOW DO THEY WORK.
Yeah that's why I went Samsung, they have a motion interpolation setting in game mode that is sub 30ms input lag. It smoothes out the judder on panning the camera nicely and no noticable errors. It's great for those 30fps games on consoles

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
45? Why not 44,7?

45 is best RFR like steam deck

nikos

Tried the demo again.

This time on Steam Deck via Remote Play, in an attempt to mask the game's poor resolution, but it still looked bad and introduced network related BS on top of that. I may connect the PS5 to ethernet (never bothered because I don't use it) and try again.

I thought this may be an option instead of waiting for the PC version. Anybody playing it this way?

Last edited:

TrebleShot

Tried the demo again.

This time on Steam Deck via Remote Play, in an attempt to mask the game's poor resolution, but it still looked bad and introduced network related BS on top of that. I may connect the PS5 to ethernet (never bothered because I don't use it) and try again.

I thought this may be an option instead of waiting for the PC version. Anybody playing it this way?
Yeah I have been and it’s ver good

keefged4

Graphics. Performance mode is unacceptable tbh. The game is absolutely riddled with TAA ghosting everywhere, even in Graphics mode. Still having a good time regardless, will definately be getting the PC version when its out for sure.

paolo11

we

how bad is the input lag? I might just do that

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?

paolo11

They said the same thing for the demo patch as well, and that ended up making it worse for many.
I know but when I read it, they know lighting kills the models so I assume they know the bluriness Too. They have to know. Mind you, it didn’t make it worse. It did not do anything!!!!

I pray motion blur on graphics mode and same IQ like remake for performance mode.

linko9

Honestly the 30 fps mode is not really bothering me much. I think it's because the camera doesn't move unless you tell it to, unlike in FF16 where it would constantly adjust. Along with the aggressive motion blur (pre-patch), that made the 30 fps mode there much worse for me.

Wish there was an option to switch to 60 for battles though

Last edited:

paolo11

Honestly the 30 fps mode is not really bothering me much. I think it's because the camera doesn't move unless you tell it to, unlike in FF16 where it would constantly adjust. Along with the aggressive motion blur (pre-patch), that made the 30 fps mode there much worse for me.

Wish there was an option to switch to 60 for battles though
I am down with that.

I also want 40fps mode. If they can make that happen without frame drops and nice IQ, that would be awesome

I’ve been doing performance mode because I can’t stand 30fps, but… jfc the image quality is garbage.
Everything looks blurry. I even moved the furniture in my living room so I could sit further away from the TV, it’s that rough.

I would have been OK with waiting another 3-6 months if it meant the game would have looked even a little sharper in performance mode. So much for the “power” of the PS5.

That said, it’s my only complaint with the game. I’ve been having a blast overall.

Go_Ly_Dow

I'm playing this on quality mode on my LG C9 OLED. I have the TV calibrated to my liking and it's bringing the best out of the visuals/HDR and the 30fps appears really smooth to me. So all good on that front.

In terms of having VRR enabled on the PS5, would that help for this game in any way, do nothing or make it worse? I feel there's a subtle difference when I toggle it on and off but just can't quite put my finger on what it is and which is better. 🤔

Also are there any settings in the TV that are a must to have on for a game like that? Any tips appreciated!

Kamina

Golden Boy
I'm playing this on quality mode on my LG C9 OLED. I have the TV calibrated to my liking and it's bringing the best out of the visuals/HDR and the 30fps appears really smooth to me. So all good on that front.

In terms of having VRR enabled on the PS5, would that help for this game in any way, do nothing or make it worse? I feel there's a subtle difference when I toggle it on and off but just can't quite put my finger on what it is and which is better. 🤔

Also are there any settings in the TV that are a must to have on for a game like that? Any tips appreciated!
VRR doesn’t affect 30fps caps

Famipan

Yeah that's why I went Samsung, they have a motion interpolation setting in game mode that is sub 30ms input lag. It smoothes out the judder on panning the camera nicely and no noticable errors. It's great for those 30fps games on consoles

we

how bad is the input lag? I might just do that
Haven’t tried FF7R but I tried it in RDR2 yesterday which is 30fps and it worked quite well so now I will finally be able to play RDR2 since I couldn’t stand that 30fps on OLED.

I set my C1 Motion Smooting to Custom with De-judder and the other setting on max but I don’t know which setting works best. As long as I don’t play in first person mode and don’t pan the camera to quickly (also set camera speed a bit lower) I don’t notice much ghosting/artifacts.

I don’t notice any input-lag. Same as with Bloodborne - a game where you need fast reaction.

Last edited:

Quezacolt

Playing on graphics mode on my LG CX OLED.

I don't know where this issue with 30fps on OLED comes from, but i guess some people are just more sensitive about that stuff.

Bojji

Playing on graphics mode on my LG CX OLED.

I don't know where this issue with 30fps on OLED comes from, but i guess some people are just more sensitive about that stuff.

I would explain this to you in detail but maybe once you see it you won't be able to play in 30fps anymore so I won't :messenger_winking:

Quezacolt

I would explain this to you in detail but maybe once you see it you won't be able to play in 30fps anymore so I won't :messenger_winking:
Even if you explain, i don't believe it would change the fact that while im playing, there's nothing really bothering me.

hell, i'd say nothing can be worse than the awful IQ from performance mode, wich looks lower res than switch games on a 4k tv, even if the internal resolution of FF7 Rebirth is much higher.

Bojji

Even if you explain, i don't believe it would change the fact that while im playing, there's nothing really bothering me.

hell, i'd say nothing can be worse than the awful IQ from performance mode, wich looks lower res than switch games on a 4k tv, even if the internal resolution of FF7 Rebirth is much higher.

I think it works like "once you see it you can't unsee it" but maybe I'm wrong.

I think performance is super soft but I don't mind that much because it's super fluid, they delivered at least on performance front.

Killjoy-NL

Had some issues with my wifi, called my ISP, they came and solved it.
Received a new modem supporting wifi6 and upgraded my internet to gigabit internet.

With the most optimal situation for Remote Play, I've come to the following conclusion:

Graphics Mode on Portal > Performance Mode on Portal > Performance on PS5 + OLED > Graphics Mode on PS5 + OLED.

I think the experience on Portal trumps the benefits of 4K on a OLED with HDR.

That is all.🫡

Last edited:

Knightime_X

I got used to the hit in graphics on performance.
I just can't with choppy 30fps.
It's not a smooth 30fps either.

Last edited:

keefged4

OLED, graphics mode. I sit fairly close to my screen so the fidelity drop with performance mode is not worth it. You get used to the 30fps fairly quickly. The game is that good that you forget about it fairly quickly too. This game is outstanding presentationwise, even with some of the lower texture issues

paolo11

Say can you share me your settings? I have lg c2

Vblad88

The best way to use performance mode now is with FullHD tv. No graphics issues visible then from topical viewing distance.

Go_Ly_Dow

Say can you share me your settings? I have lg c2
Yo sure, so obviously some might look at my settings and not be a fan, but personally after spending a lot of time tweaking feel this is helping bring out the best of the games art direction, whilst looking very smooth on my set at 30p and crisp.

Not sure if the C2 has the picture mode I'm using, Cinema Home (User), but that's the starting point for all these settings. Your set might also have some additional features as it's newer or may have renamed some settings, but this is what I have on my C9:

1. TV Settings
Mode:Cinema Home (User)
AI Picture: off (should automatically disable anyway)
Eye comfort mode: off
OLED Light:100
Contrast: 100
Brightness: 50-55
Sharpness: 10-15
Colour: 70
Tint: 0
Colour temp: 0

Then under advanced settings
Dynamic Contrast: High
Dynamic Tone Mapping: On
Dynamic Colour: Off
Colour Gamut: Extended
Super Resolution: Low

Then under picture options
Noise reduction: Low
MPEG Noise reduction: Low
Smooth Gradation: Low
Black Level: Low
Motion Eye Care: Off
Trumotion: Clear
AI Brigthness: Off

2. PS5 Settings
Resolution: 2160p
VRR: Off
120hz output: Automatic
ALLM: Automatic
Video Transfer Rate: Automatic
HDR: Always On
Deep Colour Output: Automatic
RGB Range: Automatic
HDR adjusted following a YouTube video that I recall recommended making it so the visible image they make you adjust is basically incredibly hard to see

3. Game Settings
Optimzation: Graphics
Brightness: 1
HDR Luminance: 10
Camera responsiveness: 2 (some might prefer 3)
Screen shake: Off

Last edited:

TrebleShot

I was enjoying the performance mode for about 25 hours and got to ch11 but I’ve just switched to graphics mode and turned camera speed down and it’s not too bad , I just found all the artefacts and fuzziness on my screen to be a bit distracting after a while.

I can't seem to nail down which mode to use because they both have bad trade-offs that look bad on my LG CX at 4k. Performance mode looks downright bad, looks like it's running at 720p at times in the open world and it ruins the visuals of the game. But then I'll switch to graphics mode and the 30fps cap looks stuttery like it's poorly frame paced. Not sure what to do because I'm not happy with either mode

Top Bottom