• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fight Night Round 2 - IGN review

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
http://ps2.ign.com/articles/590/590545p1.html

PS2 and XBOX REVIEW

8.0 Presentation
The hip-hop vibe from last year is gone and a more professional boxing atmosphere is in its place. Load times are a bit quicker and the interface is a lot better too. Create A Champ is great.
9.0 Graphics
Double the polygons and textures, better facial animations, more realistic sweat, and plenty of little details make this one of the best looking sports games this year.
8.5 Sound
Our prayers were answered and Big Tigger's commentary has been axed in favor of Joe Tessitore. The crowd chants and sound effects are top notch, and the soundtrack is badass.
9.0 Gameplay
Imagine last year's innovative gameplay system multiplied by two. Sure the Haymakers need some work, but the clenching, enhanced AI, cutman mini-game, and other additions make up for it.
9.0 Lasting Appeal
Most of the problems with last year's career mode have been fixed and the online feature is always smooth and easy to play. Easily one of the most addicting sports games around.
9.0 OVERALL
(out of 10 / not an average)

"All things considered, EA Sports Fight Night Round 2 is a solid evolution of an already excellent game. The entire office has been going crazy over it for three or four weeks now and there's no sign of our interest slowing down. Unless something dramatic happens, I wouldn't be surprised if this becomes my favorite sports title for the second year in a row and I'm already looking forward to see what EA has on tap for next year. Could we finally see licensed trainers and a franchise-like Gym Management mode? Or perhaps we'll get a network license for better transitions and fighter scarring that's reflective of the damage he's taken over his career? Regardless of what happens, though, it'll be interesting to see if the team can make as big an improvement on the next version as it did with this one. Without question, Fight Round 2 is a must buy investment for any boxing fan, be they casual or hardcore alike."

GAMECUBE REVIEW

http://cube.ign.com/articles/590/590563p1.html

Another Take from Matt Casamassina (aka who gives a shit)
All right. Let's talk specifically about the GameCube version of Fight Night Round 2 for a minute. This is easily the best boxing game to grace Nintendo's tiny, but powerful console. As Jeremy noted, online mode aside, the GameCube version of the title features all the boxers, stadiums and statistics of the other builds, and it plays identically, too. I have to agree with his assessment that combos, charged moves like power uppercuts and such, are performed easier on the PlayStation 2 controller, but that being true GameCube owners will have no trouble coming to grip with the setup and quickly turning pro fighter. The GameCube build runs in progressive scan and runs smoothly (with occasional slowdown during some knockout cut-scenes), but in my opinion doesn't feature the texture clarity of its PS2 brethren, which is a wee bit disappointing given that Nintendo's console is certainly capable. Still, minor gripes aside, this is a beautiful game with compelling audio, and there are some truly great extras for GameCube fans. The inclusion of a spectacularly emulated Super Punch-Out!! is sure to please hardcore fans. The classic boxing game plays great and is available from the start. Meanwhile, if you beat Super Punch-Out!!, you unlock a 3D version of Little Mac that can be used as a boxer in Fight Night 2, which is an excellent idea.

8.0 Presentation
The hip-hop vibe from last year is gone and the interface is a lot better too. Create A Champ is great and Super Punch-Out is a classic.
9.0 Graphics
Double the polygons and textures, better facial animations, more realistic sweat, and plenty of little details make this one of the best looking sports games this year.
8.5 Sound
Our prayers were answered and Big Tigger's commentary has been axed in favor of Joe Tessitore. The crowd chants and sound effects are top notch, and the soundtrack is badass.
8.5 Gameplay
Sure the Haymakers need some work, but the clenching, enhanced AI, cutman mini-game, and other additions make up for it. The Cube's controller, on the other hand, limits your combo speed.
8.0 Lasting Appeal
Most of the problems with last year's career mode have been fixed and the aforementioned Super Punch-Out is the bomb. Easily one of the most addicting sports games around.
8.4 OVERALL
(out of 10 / not an average)

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
Mrbob said:
You're slacking dude this review has been up for hours!

Game sounds fun, but it is a BOXING game.

Has it been posted on GAF?

BTW, Gamecube version got 8.4, Super Punch Out doesn't save online play!

You know, I'm sure it will rock...but I may not pick it up right at the gates. Even though I was a big fan of the previous game...there are some little things that bother me.

-It doesn't feel like boxing with all of that parrying. They need to tone that shit down, but from the videos it looks like it plays as big if not a bigger role then last years game.

-Stamina needs work...I don't know if they addressed this. But, there should be bigger stamina penalties. I say this because I remember people using buttons and firing off 80-100 punches per round and not getting much of a stamina penalty.

-Seeing old boxers like Marciano do Roy Jones/James Toney like taunts when they win just does not feel right at all.

-Marcianos shorts are green. Why? He either wore black or white. No need to play dress up.

-All the boxers have new styles, longer shorts. The classic ones had much shorter ones.

-Still no solid black shorts for a Tyson creation.

All that being said, I like the new things like the clinch, the newer creation modes, and hell...it'll still be the best boxing game around.

shpankey

not an idiot
Wario64 said:
Has it been posted on GAF?

BTW, Gamecube version got 8.4, Super Punch Out doesn't save online play!

Seems their 2 main issues are the GCN controller and I'm guessing lack of onlline.

PS2/Xbox:
9.0 Gameplay
Imagine last year's innovative gameplay system multiplied by two. Sure the Haymakers need some work, but the clenching, enhanced AI, cutman mini-game, and other additions make up for it.

GCN:
8.5 Gameplay
Sure the Haymakers need some work, but the clenching, enhanced AI, cutman mini-game, and other additions make up for it. The Cube's controller, on the other hand, limits your combo speed.

KiNeSiS

Banned
I for one will get this day one game faqs has it listed as the 28th.
I thought it was coming out march 3rd.

I got the demo last week excellent game.

Biff your a boxing fan you really will miss out this should be your Madden, It's mine thats for damn sure!

bishoptl

Banstick Emeritus
Fight Night was easily one of my top two sports game experiences last year. Can't wait to pick this puppy up and knock WasabiKing the fuck out once again. :)

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
im not gonna read the review cause i hate ign, but did they take out the stupid "zoom in when youre about to knock out someone" garbage?

Celicar

Banned
I played the first one, but couldn't stand the music. I hope this one doesn't have the same shit music because I planned on trying it.

pilonv1

I have to agree with his assessment that combos, charged moves like power uppercuts and such, are performed easier on the PlayStation 2 controller, but that being true GameCube owners will have no trouble coming to grip with the setup and quickly turning pro fighter.

What a stupid comment.

newsguy

As long as the ragdoll physics are there it's at least worth a rental. I loved seeing guys drop like they lost control of their nervous system and were mid-siezure before hitting the canvas.

Socreges

Banned
pilonv1 said:
What a stupid comment.
Read it again, this time with a comma between "true" and "Gamecube".

shpankey said:
Seems their 2 main issues are the GCN controller and I'm guessing lack of onlline.
Online must be big since the controller doesn't sound like much of a problem:

"I have to agree with his assessment that combos, charged moves like power uppercuts and such, are performed easier on the PlayStation 2 controller, but that being true GameCube owners will have no trouble coming to grip with the setup and quickly turning pro fighter."

newsguy

I had XBOX last year and it looks great (especially in widescreen and 480p). If you're playing online then it is a no brainer.

KiNeSiS

Banned
I'm concerned special punches which need to be done at the right time would be hard to pull of on the xbox pad.

The button layout on ps2 is guard- R1 weave- L1. I see no problem with that but R2 as a special punch would be better than say the black button.
If the xbox looks that much better I'll roll with that.

Top Bottom