• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Game Headquarters |4| Cheers Love, the Anime's Here!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Riot, right?

qGxFh.png

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
Does anyone know what's up with Seth Killian? He hasn't tweeted in several months and I can't remember the last time I watched him commentate a tourney.
His company got bought by Riot, he's probably pretty busy
edit: Missed the last page, damnit

BakedYams

Slayer of Combofiends
I came here to be disappointed at lackluster salt and all I see is everyone being peaceful...

Edit:

Yo shouta, I got a request for my title. I'd like Slayer of WolfKrones to be added right below my title. I'm gonna add more victims as time comes. If you want proof, here it is: Fuck ya'll who make fun of my name ;-;

Dahbomb

I came here to be disappointed at lackluster salt and all I see is everyone being peaceful...
Games were treated poorly at a tournament when they shouldn't have been.

Not the first time this has happened and will not be the last time. Though I think most of that discussion was done in that other main thread on SCR.

It sucks that it happened but I think it's better to save the feedback/criticism until after the whole tournament is over (and the TOs can look over it). Also it's difficult and unfair to get salty over a tournament that you aren't even attending to begin with, which is probably most people here.

BakedYams

Slayer of Combofiends
^ I win is a win breh

Games were treated poorly at a tournament when they shouldn't have been.

Not the first time this has happened and will not be the last time. Though I think most of that discussion was done in that other main thread on SCR.

It sucks that it happened but I think it's better to save the feedback/criticism until after the whole tournament is over (and the TOs can look over it). Also it's difficult and unfair to get salty over a tournament that you aren't even attending to begin with, which is probably most people here.

I wanted to know what was going on and didn't know the tournament was running poorly, although I'm not surprised at all since most TO's coast through it until the day before the tournament. I'm sure a couple folks can back this up and CurlyW knows his shit, only dude, besides Jebailey, I can back when it comes to running a fucking tournament.

Tripon

^ I win is a win breh

I wanted to know what was going on and didn't know the tournament was running poorly, although I'm not surprised at all since most TO's coast through it until the day before the tournament. I'm sure a couple folks can back this up and CurlyW knows his shit, only dude, besides Jebailey, I can back when it comes to running a fucking tournament.

SCR venue was too small, and multiple games were running late because TOs weren't tough enough to DQ semi known players.

I show up for my KOF pool, made roll call for pool 5, told that the first 4 pools (not just pool 4, but pools 1-4) were all late and mid way into winners bracket despite supposed to start hours earlier and to check in later. I also had Tekken 7 pools at the same time, but the TOs up there were more organized and able to keep things on schedule, so I quickly played my match up there and ran back. I was able to finish Tekken 7 fairly quickly.

By the time I came back to KOF, Pool 5 still hasn't started yet, and it was already a hour and a half late. I was told to wait around because they would finally start Pool 5.

I lost my first match in KOF, and then was told that losers couldn't be started until after another hour because all the people I was supposed to fight was scheduled for the stream. So I waited another 2 hours either playing casuals or trying to grab food. The KOF TOs had no sense of time or schedule, or were told to not DQ people because nobody was DQed unless they requested it, like Poongko did in order to focus on SFV. The only silver lining that I got to play like a hour of casuals with PedroKO who made top 8 losers for KOF XIV (I didn't know it at the time, but I was just trying to kill his Benimaru for a good hour. This game is brutal, but fun).

It wasn't just top player privilege because they even made guys like GO 1 wait around without an idea of when his pool would start or when he would be able to play. Like I said in the other thread, I'm probably never entering a KOF tournament at the eSports arena again.

Sayad

Does anyone know what's up with Seth Killian? He hasn't tweeted in several months and I can't remember the last time I watched him commentate a tourney.
Working on a new game for Riot, last time he was on commentary was EVO I think.

SCR venue was too small, and multiple games were running late because TOs weren't tough enough to DQ semi known players.

I show up for my KOF pool, made roll call for pool 5, told that the first 4 pools (not just pool 4, but pools 1-4) were all late and mid way into winners bracket despite supposed to start hours earlier and to check in later. I also had Tekken 7 pools at the same time, but the TOs up there were more organized and able to keep things on schedule, so I quickly played my match up there and ran back. I was able to finish Tekken 7 fairly quickly..

I thought I recognized your name when I saw you on the Tekken stream.

Working on how to implement FADC in the next Riot fighting game !

Rising Thunder's biggest flaws were the ways it was similar to SF4.

Every time it challenged the SF2 formula for fighters and their genre conventions, it was novel and exciting, but in some areas they took a shortcut on the design by just taking from a game we'd already seen way too much of by that point.

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
Working on how to implement FADC in the next Riot fighting game !
Rising Thunder really showed me how tired I am of SF4. They can't use that again.

What I would expect from a fighting game with MOBA characters would be a lot of playing around with statuses like slowdown, poison, mana-drain and maybe even items. Definitely not a way to make uppercuts safe...

Dahbomb

Was there any problem with the SFV tournament?

If not then why would Capcom need to take action? They still managed to get 600+ entrants for SFV along with some high level international players. The SFV tournament seemed to have been run on time and well enough.

I was checking the numbers to see where everybody stood in the CPT. Chris Tatarian is on the outside looking in as far as Global Rankings goes. He needs a 5th place finish at Canada Cup(if he goes) to bump out CCL. But CCL would be fine as he would be bumped down to Regional top two which would bump out Problem X. Of course if we have repeat winners in the final four premier tournaments like we've had all year then Chris T would be the next man up to earn a spot with Mr. Crimson and Yukadon right behind him.

Then you have Asia which has 2 ranking tournaments left and 9 of the top 11 are already qualified or are pretty safe at this point. Kazunoko is 1st with 183 and I think he's pretty much in now. Tse4444 is 2nd with 12 though, meaning anybody with 0 points could win one of the next two tournaments and tie him. I have no idea how tie breakers would work though. But guys who are on the outside looking in like Poongko, Itabashi, John Takeuchi, or Yukadon really need to win or finish well in those last two tourney's to secure a automatic bid instead of worry about winning a regional final assuming they're even in one.

If not then why would Capcom need to take action? They still managed to get 600+ entrants for SFV along with some high level international players. The SFV tournament seemed to have been run on time and well enough.

Well they did manage to finish 64 pools in one day like they planned. But that didn't mean it ran well. I was there and saw tons of people get DQ'd because FR didn't post pool schedules until the morning of the tournament. Granted people could have figured it out themselves like I did, but it wasn't our job to estimate when our pool would start.

FR is safe regardless, they're seen as a pillar of the community. Last year I said I wouldn't go back if they don't change venues because it has been way too cramped in their for years. The 1000 man SFV tournament had nothing to do with the space issues like some people think. But Larry is promising a big convention center so I guess I'll go again. I'm not expecting it to run smoothly, but at least I should be a lot more comfortable while I'm there waiting to play in my pool.

Sayad

Other than starting two hours late, this seem to have been a successful tournament for SFV. Looks like Vale's idea of removing Marvel and later removing Melee instead was the right thing to do, probably should have removed more games though, don't bite more than you can chew.

As for CPT, seems like a lot of people leveled up a bit too late to make it in(poor Bonchan), while others benefited a lot from NA having a lot CPT event early in the year, before people realizing they have travel more. Julio is kinda ass now and it seems like he was only coasting on people not realizing how good Ken is back in the day.

Tizoc

CurlyW

Are you asking about SCR or FR? Because SCR only had 386 entrants for SFV.

mbpm1

What I would expect from a fighting game with MOBA characters would be a lot of playing around with statuses like slowdown, poison, mana-drain and maybe even items. Definitely not a way to make uppercuts safe...

Uppercut XX Fountain of Healing teleport away

Tripon

All the tournaments for this week for Capcom Cup spots.

Capcom Cup 32 spots:

Won Premier Tournament: (7 players)

Infiltration (Final Round, NCR, EVO) (1668 global points)
Tokido (CEO, SEAM) (1032 global points)
Gamerbee (Japan Cup, EGX) (732 global points)
Xiao Hai (G League, SCR) (676 global points)
Daigo Umehara (EU CPT Regional Finals) (555 global points)
Momochi (Stunfest) (524 global points)
Phenom (Dreamhack Summer) (482 global points)

With Infiltration, Tokido, Xiao Hai and Gamerbee winning multiple premier tournaments, it opens up 5 more spots to the Global Rankings from the original 8.

Qualification via Global Spot: (13 at the moment)

Justin Wong (984 global points)
Fuudo (804 global points)
Nuckledu (613 global points)
Julio Fuentes (548 global points)
Xian (518 global points)
Haitani (492 global points)
Eita (482 global points)
MOV (472 global points)
Luffy (455 global points)
Mago (426 global points)
Go1 (412 global points)
FChamp (398 global points)
CCL (397 global points )

Outside looking in on global points:
Chris T (384 global points)

With Xaio Hai winning SCR, that moves the global qualifiers to 13. People were joking Infiltration will just win all the CPT premiers and open all the premier spots for the global rankings, but that seem to be happening anyway. For a game that people declare to be more random than SFIV, the fact that 4 players have won multiple Premiers seems to a counter to narrative. Also, Mago and Haitani both helped themselves immensely to get into the global rankings and stay there. Chris T needs a lot of help if he wants to make it to Capcom Cup at this point. He needs to get at least 14 points to jump CCL and there's no more CPT NA ranking events for him to attend. Only way he can attend if he can get a global spot, win Canada Cup or win the CPT NA regional finals. Good luck on doing that.

Participates qualify via global spots before Regional ranking spots:

Qualification via regions: (8 spots)

Asia: Kazunoko (183 Asia points), Tse4444 (128 Asia points)

Outside looking in: Yukadon (74 Asia points)

With both Mago and Haitani qualifying via global points, the big winner is Tse4444 by doing nothing. Yukadon, the 5th place finisher at EVO needs to win either FV Cup or the Asian Online Ranking event and pray that Tse4444 doesn't go to either to be able to jump Tse4444. Otherwise, Yukadon won't be coming to Capcom Cup. Kazunoko's place isn't secure just yet (If Yukadon wins the online ranking event, and Tse4444 finishes 1st or 2nd at FVcup, that would give both to knock out Kazunoko). But let's be honest, Kazunoko is going to Capcom Cup.

Europe: Mister Crimson (321 Europe points), Problem X (218 Europe Points)

Edit: No change here. Europe is done with ranking events, and Chris T needs at least 14 points to jump CCL. Chris T would need a 5th place finish at Canada Cup or travel to FV Cup in Malaysia and get 4th place there. Neither scenario is not happening.

With Luffy, MOV, and CCL having global spots, that means Mister Crimson and Problem X are in as European spots. There's still a couple of global tournaments left, so it's still possible for CCL to be knocked out of the global rankings and back into the EU rankings, which would screw Problem X out of a spot.

Latin America: Brolynho (305 LA points), Misterio (203 LA points)

Outside looking in: KBrad (196 LA points)

Edit: Misterio was able to get the 2 points he needed at TRETA to pass KBrad. He gets the 2nd spot, and KBrad needs to win the CPT LA Finals in order to qualify for Capcom Cup.

Edit: No change here, even as KBrad played his ass off to get to 3rd at SCR.

However, the TO of Treta says that Misterio has visa problems and may not be able to travel to Capcom Cup. If that is true, then KBrad gets the 2nd LA spot.

North America: Ricky Ortiz (247 NA points), XsK_Samurai (202 NA points).

Outside looking in: Chris T (190 NA points), John Takeuchi (144 NA points)

XsK_Samurai getting 2nd at The Fall Classic gives him enough points over Chris T and John Takeuchi, securing the second NA spot. Edit: Again, no change here.

-----
Ranking events left:

FV Cup (Asia) (Oct. 22nd-Oct. 23rd)
Online Event: Asia-Oceanic Event II (open to Japan, Korea Korea, Taiwan, & Hong Kong only) (Oct. 22nd)

That's 28 spots, which leave 4 left to be grabbed.

Spots that still need to be determined:

Premier tournaments:

Canada Cup (Oct. 28th to Oct. 30th)

Regional Finals:

Capcom Pro Tour NA Regional Finals: Red Bull Battle Grounds at Seattle, Wash. (Nov. 04th-Nov. 06th)
Capcom Pro Tour Asia Regional Finals at Busan, South Korea (Nov. 17th-Nov. 19th)
Capcom Pro Tour LA Regional Finals, Sao Paulo, Brazil (Oct. 30th, Nov. 2nd)

Line_HTX

Adding cooldowns on specials probably won't affect your mixup since you're using blockstrings to lock them down until you can use your special again.

I dunno, just my guess.

Tripon

So if there's a repeat premiere event winner at Canada Cup then ChrisT gets in?

I could be wrong, but wouldn't Chris T move into qualifying position for Capcom Cup if one of the people above him win Canada Cup? If so, then aren't his chances of qualifying probably pretty good?
You are both right. With the way people have been winning, a repeater or somebody above him would get him in as well.

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
So many people were saying KBrad is already in Capcom Cup, but the only reason is visa trouble? That's pretty uncertain.

I don't know about his Twitter, but his last time doing commentary was EVO, and he rarely commentates any tournaments other than EVO anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom