• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Games Weekly | Apr 13-19 | This Netkode Is An Injustice

4aR9PV0.gif

GeoNeo

I disagree.
So dash cancel and running are two different things in MKX? Never played the series but this sounds like pressure heaven to me being a wolverine main.

Yes they are. I was really impressed by MKX speed and movement. :D

So to run you dash and hold down block.

Played some MK on the weekend.

Stiff as all hell.

Cool design tho.

Block button gotta go tho.
Smash PTSD?

I kind of like the idea of a block button these days. Remove stupid ambiguous cross-ups on oki.

I don't know why people think a unified FGC should be a thing. Is there a unified community for any other genre?
Does any other genre come together to host tournaments like the FGC, though?

I like the idea for a few reasons; it may not be realizable, though. I do think it's weird that people get so attached to a specific game, though. To the point where they quit the hobby when their game goes out of style.

Pappasman

Man I think PPMD is the best stream monster top player. He is in almost every relevant (melee) stream chat giving insightful and interesting commentary. I don't see any other player doing that for any game.

Zissou

You mean compared to Marvel, which was only a popular watch among stream monsters for the deepest reasons.

I think a lot of stream monsters either played some marvel (early on) and/or thought it was cool to get hype about because they watched the MAHVEL BAYBEEEE video or whatever. I think a fair amount of them hating on marvel more recently is because they don't understand the game well enough to appreciate the really crazy stuff top level players can do. I think stream monsters at least believe they understand what's happening during high level SF4 play.

I also think a lot of people didn't like marvel in the first place- these people were initially drowned out by the stream monsters yelling "WHEN'S MARVEL!?" constantly, but as that died down, people that didn't like the game all along came out of the woodwork and vocalized their distaste for the game without much (as much) opposition. Maybe it's simpler than all that and it's straight up "popular thing eventually gets hit with backlash," I dunno.

Kumubou

I like the idea for a few reasons; it may not be realizable, though. I do think it's weird that people get so attached to a specific game, though. To the point where they quit the hobby when their game goes out of style.
It's hardly weird at all, especially given the amount of time it takes to learn a game properly. If you have someone playing something like GG or whatnot and their game dies, telling them to play SF4 is about as useful as telling them to play LoL. It really comes down to how much they like the other options, whatever they may be.

If my options really came down to either playing SF4 or kicking rocks, I would start looking into boulder punting techniques.

Mr. X

I do think it's weird that people get so attached to a specific game, though. To the point where they quit the hobby when their game goes out of style.

They like that specific game, they don't like the genre.

It's like you don't this food item unless it's cooked a certain way.

It's hardly weird at all, especially given the amount of time it takes to learn a game properly. If you have someone playing something like GG or whatnot and their game dies, telling them to play SF4 is about as useful as telling them to play LoL. It really comes down to how much they like the other options, whatever they may be.

If my options really came down to either playing SF4 or kicking rocks, I would start looking into boulder punting techniques.

They like that specific game, they don't like the genre.

It's like you don't this food item unless it's cooked a certain way.
I guess I find that somewhat hard to relate to. To me, the least enjoyable fighting games are Street Fighter and Tekken. However, if everything else died, I'd be right there playing them. I adore the 1 on 1 competition. I don't disagree with either of you, though.

I think a lot of stream monsters either played some marvel (early on) and/or thought it was cool to get hype about because they watched the MAHVEL BAYBEEEE video or whatever. I think a fair amount of them hating on marvel more recently is because they don't understand the game well enough to appreciate the really crazy stuff top level players can do. I think stream monsters at least believe they understand what's happening during high level SF4 play.

Perhaps. I always found it to be a joke when people wanted Marvel commentators to be "hype" over actually providing good commentary. Showed how superficial the attachment was to that game. Once you get over the the flash and people see the same setplay over and over and over, yipes memes won't save the day.

Dahbomb

Perhaps. I always found it to be a joke when people wanted Marvel commentators to be "hype" over actually providing good commentary. Showed how superficial the attachment was to that game. Once you get over the the flash and people see the same setplay over and over and over, yipes memes won't save the day.
By people you of course mean stream monsters right?

Manbig

It really doesn't make sense to assume that just because people really like one specific game in a genre, then they would all of a sudden enjoy, dedicate that time to other games only because it is the same genre. Most fighting games play very differently from each other.

ShinMaruku

When you need a certain amount of dedication to get ground level in a fighting game I would never expect people to really think there is massive cross over appeal. Even more so with the variations. If a scene dies, it dies very little moving over to another game.

Even without that WB money IJ would have still beaten SG when it came to attendance. IJ had a decent scene but I felt that the MK scene was stronger.

yep

Injustice had the MK9 community to ride on. Its also a DC fighting game. Skullgirls is scene as a fanservice fighter with panty shots in every other attack to a lot of people.

Then I suppose the smart thing for developers to do, going forward, is to continually maintain their fanbase for each game with content and balance updates.

NEO0MJ

yep

Injustice had the MK9 community to ride on. Its also a DC fighting game. Skullgirls is scene as a fanservice fighter with panty shots in every other attack to a lot of people.

I really wish they'd have toned down the fanservice and boosted the number of male fighters while still making the female fighters the majority, would have done a lot to improve its image. It's a wonderful game with great artstyle and music.

Dahbomb

Alright real talk time.

Do you guys think USF4 will see play at EVO past EVO 2017? Especially given that SFV is slated to be released in early 2016.

Why or why not... post your thoughts.

Alright real talk time.

Do you guys think USF4 will see play at EVO past EVO 2017? Especially given that SFV is slated to be released in early 2016.

Unless SFV is hot garbage, USFIV will get dropped so fast. It's been the same game for...how long now? It feels like an eternity. I just wonder how SFV will keep things fresh enough to draw people in.

Team Ninja and Capcom seem to have that idea down. SNK could learn from that.
Capcom does it for one of their franchises, at least...

Also, Nintendo has basically promised 2 years worth of DLC characters. The poll for DLC characters ends in October of 2015, and that's when they would have to start making them. It's pretty incredible. Nintendoes!

Alright real talk time.

it will if sf5 doesn't look too hot, then they'll do a double SF thing.

If SF5 is decent and people still play usf4 then they'll have both like melee and smash4. If people drop usf4 like a rock then it will only be sf5.

Top Bottom