• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Games Weekly | Apr 13-19 | This Netkode Is An Injustice

ShinMaruku

Bum wants a piece of that MK pie but he's not even getting 100 viewers. Goes to show you it isn't just about the games. Viewers have to identify with the streamers.

There are some interesting personalities that hang out at HoC including Bum himself, but when I tuned into the MK stream no one even had a headset on. They were just playing the game in silence. I didn't stick around long for that.

Anne

More D'Vorah f22 nonsense

Combo's that require 3 meters really aren't that valuable in MK considering how you never should spend all of it unless it's for the kill and you're near death.

The point of it is to kill if you have the bar. It's unique because of that particular starter and situation. If you really want to, you can opt to spend 1 bar instead for 45%, but if you need extra you got it.

For the sake of argument, here's the 1 bar scenario

The idea here is less to be like "ah look at the damage", it's more to show the flexibility of the route. You can go to f44 to save the meter, and in return squeeze out some more damage. I'm willing to bet it can go higher too, but I'm lazy and bad at this combo system. The 1 bar variant also works off her b1(low) but it requires a 1 frame that I can't get into the full combo yet, so no recording, but it works.

I really dig the flexibility of this system, and this lets me confirm things a bit differently. I'm curious what other characters can do with this as well, but I'm not like a dedicated MK player.

This is driving me crazy right now, i just can't pull the cancel everytime (On pad or on stick) :(

This character quickly turned into an execution nightmare :/ I find the f11 and f22 ones to be easy, but the b1 cancels drive me fucking insane.

AAK

Combo's that require 3 meters really aren't that valuable in MK considering how you never should spend all of it unless it's for the kill and you're near death.

Played some more MK yesterday.. the game just doesn't feel right. So stiff, just off
awful

If NRS could make a game so well designed like MKX but have the gameplay done right.. I'd be all about it.

Marz

Played some more MK yesterday.. the game just doesn't feel right. So stiff, just off
awful

If NRS could make a game so well designed like MKX but have the gameplay done right.. I'd be all about it.

Yea MK will always be asscheeks as long as NRS is behind it.

So is D'vorah top tier or something? I think she's the coolest-looking character, but I was disappointed when I saw her actual gameplay. She doesn't really fight like a bug and all those flies orbiting her makes it seem like she's covered in poop.

Anne

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";160742305]So is D'vorah top tier or something? I think she's the coolest-looking character, but I was disappointed when I saw her actual gameplay. She doesn't really fight like a bug and all those flies orbiting her makes it seem like she's covered in poop.[/QUOTE]

Iunno she's just neat and has good stuff. Meanwhile other characters are doing absolute bonkers shit elsewhere so *shrug*

I just can't get past every character's animations looking the exact same to me in MK games. If it weren't for special moves I'd have no idea which character was which.

And it weirds me out how air to air attacks stop your character's momentum.

fader

This character quickly turned into an execution nightmare :/.

my kind of character...

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";160742305]So is D'vorah top tier or something? I think she's the coolest-looking character, but I was disappointed when I saw her actual gameplay. She doesn't really fight like a bug and all those flies orbiting her makes it seem like she's covered in poop.[/QUOTE]

from what I've heard, Floe thought she would be really good in the games beginning life but fall off later but after discovering the db1 cancel's, he feels she's one of the best characters in the game on paper.

shaowebb

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";160742785]I just can't get past every character's animations looking the exact same to me in MK games. If it weren't for special moves I'd have no idea which character was which.

And it weirds me out how air to air attacks stop your character's momentum.[/QUOTE]
Um...thats not really the case in MKX. This kind of generalizes it to sound like everything is the same. There are uppercuts sure, but its not MK3 here and there are a lot of variety in the animations used between each character's martial arts attacks in this game. They aren't super loud and overpronounced per strike like in other fighters, but thats mainly due to trying to make it seem like a martial arts setting more than a loud arcadey fighting game. The D'Vorah thing you mentioned earlier harkens back to this being more about martial arts theme-ing things than arcade style. For them its make a martial artist who has bug properties to her attacks not make a bug that fights like a bug. The former would fight like another martial artist and this world is based on everyone being a martial artist first and foremost in how they move and fight. The latter would make them more suited to an arcade thing where each character is unto themselves an entirely different premise of movement and body language. MK is rooted on all the cast's body language first and foremost on trying to portray them as a martial artist hence the D'vorah thing. MK is and always has been a martial arts themed world and fantasy hence why all body language is based on martial arts and regular combatives even if some fantasy elements are added.

The air to air thing though I can see.

oneida

Cock Strain, Lifetime Warranty
Thanks for the feature length tutorial lol, I'll try to watch it all while I mess around with the game. Also wish this dang site+app weren't impossible to navigate.

niconico is an absolute nightmare, basically i can only watch VF streams live and while I'm logged in. I used to host the Tokyo Bay Area Cups on my channel until GAME Newton switched to niconico. But there's ~40 hours of competitive JP VF if you want it.

EGM from '94

10890694_1574776762780862_664366794_n.jpg

I wonder what their GAF handle is.

Uraizen

Banned
Looks like you gravitate towards them naturally in that case. Hopefully online isnt your only way to practice.

Oh Jesus Christ, you can't even do simple BnBs online. I have to go for the easy 29% ones with Raiden. Even those drop sometimes whereas I'm 100% consistent against the CPU for faction challenges.

The SF2 releases on SNES are really the least offensive times Capcom has done that anyway, because the technology to release Street Fighter 2 patch 1.03 with balance changes for free and Cammy, Fei, etc as individually purchasable characters for the game you already bought literally didn't exist at the time.

No excuses for later on, but back in the day even "NRS" had to do an Ultimate version to get new content to people.

Grab->snapback is just beautiful
This entire character is beautiful. His Geatish Trepak is downright disrespectful and Wulf Blitzer is the second best (and second most obvious) throwback to Darkstalkers. Peacock's Tenrai-Ha is the best, but Jon Talbain would be proud. The only missed opportunity imo is the lack of Sasquach style short hop shenanigans considering how similar Beowulf looks during his dash animation. If he had that bullshit I'd be in heaven (well, as close we can get without Annie and Panzerfaust).

I find myself loading up SG just to play him which I haven't done with the DLC characters since Squigly. Also, hurray for Parasoul and Peacock's Annie palettes. Now Bella doesn't have to be the only fangirl.

Wow some french players are accusing me of corruption because I gave MKX a 8/10 and GGXrd a 7/10. They are posting parts of my Xrd review in the comments of my MKX review to prove me I'm... I don't know? Having bad taste? Corrupted? Where's that NRS money I'm supposed to have by the way?
French players are japanese suckers beyond reason (DON'T YOU DARE CRITICIZE AN ANIME GAME OR SHONEN SHIT) but it's quite tiresome to have to deal with a backlash each time you review a game because you dare having some criticism. There's a guy I travelled through Europe with to play GGXX, he came to my house on vacation several times and now he acts as if he didn't knew me and goes nuts each time I post. o_O

I'm quite jealous about the US FGC for it's open mind about different types of games.

pixelish

Wow some french players are accusing me of corruption because I gave MKX a 8/10 and GGXrd a 7/10. They are posting parts of my Xrd review in the comments of my MKX review to prove me I'm... I don't know? Having bad taste? Corrupted? Where's that NRS money I'm supposed to have by the way?
French players are japanese suckers beyond reason (DON'T YOU DARE CRITICIZE AN ANIME GAME OR SHONEN SHIT) but it's quite tiresome to have to deal with a backlash each time you review a game because you dare having some criticism. There's a guy I travelled through Europe with to play GGXX, he came to my house on vacation several times and now he acts as if he didn't knew me and goes nuts each time I post. o_O

I'm quite jealous about the US FGC for it's open mind about different types of games.

but do you believe in your ratings? as in, do you think mkx is a better game than xrd?

I was originally going to post a laughing reaction image, but really if the US FGC is the world standard for being accepting of multiple games, we're in a worse state than I had imagined.

We all know how the internet gets, but acting like this with someone you know in IRL over a game is too much lol.

but do you believe in your ratings? as in, do you think mkx is a better game than xrd?

Putting aside the fact they aren't exactly for the same public yes, I think MKX is a better game than GGXrd... And both are still high quality games. I mean, I reviewed Death Cargo. That's a shitty fighting game. Gave him 3/10 because it was playable.

I was originally going to post a laughing reaction image, but really if the US FGC is the world standard for being accepting of multiple games, we're in a worse state than I had imagined.

At least public faces like David or James are taking the games and trying to get an opinion about them after playing them and trying to understand them. That's what I try to do everytime I make a review but we aren't a lot to think this way. I remember when Persona 4 Arena came out in the US, that was super positive to see everyone try the game. The same with Uniel and now Mortal Kombat. Even if the game isn't played that much, there's a positivity about all this and you don't get this in France.

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";160742785]I just can't get past every character's animations looking the exact same to me in MK games. If it weren't for special moves I'd have no idea which character was which.

And it weirds me out how air to air attacks stop your character's momentum.[/QUOTE]

I think it's because most of the strings come from the same generic kung fu mokap bin and most of the characters don't have particularly distinct fighting styles outside of their specials. Then again it's sort of a MK staple so I can see why they keep it that way.

niconico is an absolute nightmare, basically i can only watch VF streams live and while I'm logged in. I used to host the Tokyo Bay Area Cups on my channel until GAME Newton switched to niconico. But there's ~40 hours of competitive JP VF if you want it.

http://www.nicovideo.jp/?header

For VF Search: バーチャファイター or you can just search: vf5 or vf5fs

For SF4 search: ウルトラストリートファイターⅣ

*Note that to the left of the search bar there are 4 areas you can search through. The first, which is the default, is videos. The 4th one is live streams.

I prefer setting the region and language to Japan because most of the comments and users are from Japan.

Once you have searched:
The drop down text is to sort the videos. The first one (highlighted) is "new comments." The 9th one down is to sort by "the newest upload." I like to use the first one all the time. Click on the 4 boxes to the right so you can see all of the videos in rows of 4. It makes it easier to browse.

jL5tpI2kpRmkb.png

This is how to favorite a video. I click the big box and a bunch of smaller boxes show up. Click on the + (the left furthest + box) and a small window will appear. Towards the bottom you can click on two things. Click the one on the left to add to "my list." The option on the right is to cancel. The window will close by itself.
iTN1eBPnwlF0C.gif

To go to your favorites:
ibpytiunLy5kDy.gif

If you just want to know when there are tournaments/events or even which streams are on at a particular moment just go to http://kakuge-checker.com/

That's the go to site for Japanese fighting games. They have a list of current streams both in Japan and overseas. They also have a calender for any fighting game event. To get to the calender click the 3rd link (2nd to the right of "Top") and a list of japanese text will apear. Click the first one. This will take you to the calender. Or you can just take the shortcut http://kakuge-checker.com/event/list/

It should be easy to navigate the calender as there is a logo next to each event. The time is obviously in Japan.

Shackzam

I think it's because most of the strings come from the same generic kung fu mokap bin and most of the characters don't have particularly distinct fighting styles outside of their specials. Then again it's sort of a MK staple so I can see why they keep it that way.
I can only really see this with the jab strings. Any of the other distinct strings they definitely don't look the same. Like no one is going to have jaxs forward 2 string. I find them more distinguishable then mk9.

Top Bottom