• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Games Weekly | Apr 13-19 | This Netkode Is An Injustice

El Sloth

Banned
What's funny / hilarious about this?
The idea of many North American (and maybe a few Japanese) top players potentially being completely flummoxed by really good Hakan play, a character (unjustifiably) shat upon by many, is pretty humorous to me.

I look forward to UltraDavid getting hype over someone other than MLSwear doing Hakan justice finally

RedEther

How's MKX going for everyone?

I've played with 90% of the cast trying to experiment on my own to do combos that I can pull off, and always break 30% without issues.

VERY hard to do. I lucked out in that only ONE of the characters I would potentially main I can do 30% to 40% without real issues anywhere on screen with, and I like his play style in this.

Kano.

Amazing dash, amazing strings, super easy combos, big damage, etc. I feel he's a monster in pro tournament setting.

I would love if I was good with:

Takeda
Kenshi
Cassie Cage
Reptile

Sadly I can't do much with all 4 of them. MAYBE I could get good at Reptile, but he has to work so much harder than Kano. All 4 of them do.

She's way too easy imo back 124 might the best string in game and it's almost as effective as supermans string in injustice.

WTF are u talking about? His Sagat is amazing.

He looked pretty free vs Inco, and Sagat is probably Rufus' worst matchup. None of the space control needed to keep Rufus out. :\

Maybe the connection was bad or the dude isn't comfortable in the matchup, though.

EDIT: A lot more solid in Loser's Finals, though.

He looked pretty free vs Inco, and Sagat is probably Rufus' worst matchup. None of the space control needed to keep Rufus out. :\

Maybe the connection was bad or the dude isn't comfortable in the matchup, though.

Inco is just really good. I want Inco to win this because he probably has the best chance at going far in the tournament.

Inco's getting crushed dawg

Inco's switching between U1 and U2 - I think W is better in this match. You can't stake everything on hitting U2 but the threat of it allows you get the opportunities to land U1.

Gtfo with that shit

OK, I was wrong. It's really good and he was just off his game in Winner's Finals.

Rufus-Sagat is nowhere near as bad as Gat-Gief and with all the nerfs people think that mu is only 6-4.

Sagat vs Zangief can be as bad as it likes - Rufus loses extremely hard to Sagat as well. Rufus is almost always behind in the match and it requires huge risks to win.

As I put on Twitter though, he does have worse matchups - Poison (Posion's HP fireball is simply a hard counter to Rufus's playstyle, and it's backed up by a character that can play extremely safe and beat Rufus in footsies easily) and Hugo (where Rufus has pretty much no good options).

Marz

OK, I was wrong. It's really good and he was just off his game in Winner's Finals.

Sagat vs Zangief can be as bad as it likes - Rufus loses extremely hard to Sagat as well. Rufus is almost always behind in the match and it requires huge risks to win.

As I put on Twitter though, he does have worse matchups - Poison (Posion's HP fireball is simply a hard counter to Rufus's playstyle, and it's backed up by a character that can play extremely safe and beat Rufus in footsies easily) and Hugo (where Rufus has pretty much no good options).

How does Hugo get in on Rufus with intelligent use of cr. Fierce, cr. Roundhouse, st. Fierce, and st. Forward? Genuinely curious.

How does Hugo get in on Rufus with intelligent use of cr. Fierce, cr. Roundhouse, st. Fierce, and st. Forward? Genuinely curious.

st.HP and not letting himself get swept. Also, jumping.

Also he can be at cr.HP max range, focus through it, cr.MK, hard KD into pressure where Rufus can only jump or U1 as all other options are voided by Hugo's clap oki.

Sigmaah

I've been playing ranked on the one and out of the 100 matches I've played, it lagged hard once, other then that online has been terrific for me.

Where we lagging at? Ps4? Pc?

NEO0MJ

Been losing a lot of time these past few days to Bloodorne. Not the second coming of christ but it's still great so far.

As for MK, still messing in training mode. I gotta move on to Story.

Tizoc

Who wants to relive the glory days of Armor Ralf?
armorralf06.jpg

YOU DOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Also SamSho 5 is on JP PSN too

.la1n

I've been playing ranked on the one and out of the 100 matches I've played, it lagged hard once, other then that online has been terrific for me.

Where we lagging at? Ps4? Pc?

I have had more good matches than bad post patch but it still isn't anywhere the quality It should be. That is on both Xbox One and PS4. Even the matches that are running decent still have enough delay that it makes it difficult to pull off some of the offline combos I have practiced. Hopefully this is just a smalls step towards more work being done. At least they are trying versus pretending it's okay.

Anne

I'm going to have to play somebody else lol. I already was like "eh, this is hard work" and then I go online and the netplay is terrible and fuck just frame combos. From where I live netplay is important, so if a game has ass netplay I basically stop practicing, never play it cause the scene is small, and move on. MKX is the worst netcode I've played since UNiEL, and the netcode killed UNiEL.

Why do people call invitationals an exhibition? When there is money on the line and there are multiple players competing for the money, it's a tournament. It always bugs me when commentators call them exhibitions.

Anne

The Subzero OS looks like a thing that's possible in other games. You input one special, then another immediately after, and the opponent blocking has a different hitstop/timing/whatever that makes the first buffered input get eaten and the 2nd comes out instead. It's pretty rare though, and the engine has to be strict.

I'm assuming the buffer in MK makes decisions differently based on whether or not the cancellable move made contact on hit or block. I've noticed if you overlap forward/back inputs during strings on block, you can get different results entirely, but I'm not sure myself how it works out. My best guess is that he buffers the iceball insanely fast, and on hit the game just accepts the first buffer, then he inputs the ice clone during the frames the ice ball buffer would've gone off, but block happens instead and it overwrites that first buffer with the 2nd move buffered, since it recognizes it as a different state or the timing of the buffer changes.

That's just a big guess though. On hit it accepts the clean buffer, on block the first move buffered is ignored and it goes for the most recent input. In the case of what UD is doing, it's just wiping the fast buffer on block, and then having no input to cancel on block. That would be a reasonable idea, but it doesn't explain why one variation messes up. Again all just guessing, based off the assumption the buffer is less strict on hit than it is on block.

Uraizen

Banned
The Subzero OS looks like a thing that's possible in other games. You input one special, then another immediately after, and the opponent blocking has a different hitstop/timing/whatever that makes the first buffered input get eaten and the 2nd comes out instead. It's pretty rare though, and the engine has to be strict.

I'm assuming the buffer in MK makes decisions differently based on whether or not the cancellable move made contact on hit or block. I've noticed if you overlap forward/back inputs during strings on block, you can get different results entirely, but I'm not sure myself how it works out. My best guess is that he buffers the iceball insanely fast, and on hit the game just accepts the first buffer, then he inputs the ice clone during the frames the ice ball buffer would've gone off, but block happens instead and it overwrites that first buffer with the 2nd move buffered, since it recognizes it as a different state or the timing of the buffer changes.

That's just a big guess though. On hit it accepts the clean buffer, on block the first move buffered is ignored and it goes for the most recent input. In the case of what UD is doing, it's just wiping the fast buffer on block, and then having no input to cancel on block. That would be a reasonable idea, but it doesn't explain why one variation messes up. Again all just guessing, based off the assumption the buffer is less strict on hit than it is on block.

Ah, I should have looked closer at the inputs on the sub-zero one. I'll just remove that one~

Top Bottom