• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Games Weekly | Jan 19-25 | As Seen On WSHH

Ow6lFAK.png

No hitstun? I guess it is true nowadays.
Who the hell wrote this? So much misinformation.

Also, whens Omen?

Anth0ny

oh god stream numbers are gonna take a beating from the super bowl, huh

haven't watched super bowl in years. shit is so boring.

Imma look like such a fucking nerd at the party, chillin in the back gettin hype on my phone watching the GFs on Twitch app but idgaf ayy lmao.

that's so sad lmao

you should demand that they stream it during commercials.

These plans and policies are supported by comprehensive monitoring of outdoor air quality, and tracking of emissions.

I just think all the talk about smash is dumb because I remember what it was like before.

Where were these numskulls when I wanted to play alpha 3 and everyone else I knew wanted to play smash instead.

petghost

Banned
Smash is a fg but damnnnn the scenes seem pretty different. Like we meet up for evo or whatever but there seems to hardly be any crossover. Their scene seems to be doing super great atm tho and has a lot of enthusiasts where the fgc would find none. Think a lot of casual people just dig the Nintendo appeal and find themselves getting sucked into the competitive smash world but I'm pretty ignorant so who knows.

WarRock

As much as people give Sakurai shit, he's the reason the game is so well put together. Also he's trolling the fuck out of people now.
Seems a common trend for fighting game developers.

Ono, Harada, Boon, Sakurai. Maybe that's why Skullgirls, KoF, DoA and KI aren't that popular.

Sakurai is an 09'er then?
Sakurai never said it wasn't. People misinterpreted him. What he said is that it's not just a fighting game, it's not limited to the fighting game genre. It's a party game, but it's also a fighting game, which is apparent in his very deliberate design choices that are too complex and unnecessary for a simple party game.

I wasn't shitting on sakurai i was shitting on sfiv savants who all of a sudden are acting like an authority on what a fighting game is.

fucking 09ers

I wasn't shitting on sakurai i was shitting on sfiv savants who all of a sudden are acting like an authority on what a fighting game is.

fucking 09ers
I don't pretend to have experienced the history here, but the tale I am always told is that Smash has been hated on for a long time before SFIV came out. If anything, it seems like the 09ers, being the current generation of fighting game players, are part of the mood swing that has brought Smash to Evo. That's just what makes sense to me, though.

Kumubou

The hate was very real for Smash in the bad old days. If you told fighting game players back in 2002 that SSBM would be the second biggest game at Evo over a decade later and generally accepted as a fighting game, people would have had a conniption (and wondered if FGs completely died).

Yeah, saving seats early is key. This year is going to look especially tight. Shoutouts to Shouta for helping to secure some prime real estate last year.

Shouta and Vulva were great in that regard. Vulva helped get us just about half a row since they were there so early.

As soon as they let us in the ballroom, I remember a bunch of us getting in a mad dash to get good seats, lol. Were way better than last year too.

Ono, Harada, Boon, Sakurai. Maybe that's why Skullgirls, KoF, DoA and KI aren't that popular.

Itagaki was definitely a troll at times. You may be onto something, as DOA was arguably more popular when he was the lead at Team Ninja

Mike trolls all the time. The only difference is that people confuse his ideas, jokes and criticisms with actual hate when they bother to look his way. Not that he is a saint either. He has been pretty rough on the BB series post CT.

Edit: Not that I blame him. If I were a Tager player I probably would have quit BB a while ago.

ShinMaruku

Check the online numbers for doa. It is popular just outside of the tourney scene. Hayashi is a troll too don't make him fool you. Honoka ftw

Dlent

Hey guys, remember how there haven't been any Darkstalkers, SamSho, Garou, Arcana Heart, HnK, Project Justice, etc. games at EVO? I certainly don't because these series were clearly never significant enough to be included in the only tournament that can legitimize a competitive fighting game.

How the hell did Melty Blood win the vote to get in once?

petghost

Banned
I mean that beastnote post had a reasonable message under all the salt... If evo is ggonnabe the international tourney and not just catered to the American crowd it should consider what's relevant in other countries... Maybe they should have like a jp representative on evo staff or something

Top Bottom