• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Games Weekly | Jan 19-25 | As Seen On WSHH

Kimosabae

Banned
"Smash is a party game not a fighting game" - some dude who discovered what fighting games were after 2009

Haha, my thoughts exactly.

I don't pretend to have experienced the history here, but the tale I am always told is that Smash has been hated on for a long time before SFIV came out. If anything, it seems like the 09ers, being the current generation of fighting game players, are part of the mood swing that has brought Smash to Evo. That's just what makes sense to me, though.

Pretty much. Just like larger society, the FGC couldn't hold back the tide of tolerance ushered in by a newer generation of players.

Kumubou

How the hell did Melty Blood win the vote to get in once?
They put the game up against three old Capcom games, which managed to split the vote between that community and for some reason they didn't put GGAC in the poll. Thank God America doesn't believe in instant runoff polling. :V It was also a weird time with fighting games -- SSF4 was out and that was it. You look at the list in a vacuum and it looks really bizarre, but in the context of when the game came out... there really weren't a ton of obvious picks.

It was also the second biggest game at NEC that year and it had a significant presence at other majors that year like Final Round, kind of like what happened with... well... yeah. :<

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Oh shit I completely fucked up.

YAMS. NOW IS YOUR TIME. GET ON THAT SPOTLIGHT. You know the drill.
I'm sure you have multiple revisions completed already

Tripon

Alex Valle
&#8207;@AlexValleSF4
Smash is getting a lot of love at PAX South Gaming Lounge! At least 1/4 of the hall!

B8E07qlCAAALjEE.jpg
https://twitter.com/AlexValleSF4/status/558786077876449280/photo/1

Pretty much. Just like larger society, the FGC couldn't hold back the tide of tolerance ushered in by a newer generation of players.

Just like larger society, the FGC couldn't hold back the tide of easy money to be made.

Smash became a fighting game after a long period of "how do we grow the fgc", the cooling off of the current capcom and tekken offerrings and a need to replace them with something. It also coincided with the explosion in streaming numbers of Nintendo focused events such as speed run marathons.

That is to not recognise the community that stuck with it, just to point out it isn't a 09er thing at all. There is a long history there and it is only very recently that things have changed.

Kimosabae

Banned
From that stream:

"I just lost.. but he didn't beat me, though."

...wonder if this mentality helps maintain your sanity when playing online.

You have to beat me in a FT100 before I consider you better than me.

And even then, you were only better than me on that particular day.

hitsugi

Lag, lag spikes, dropped packets, whatever. There are plenty of ways for things to go wrong beyond your or anyones control in online play.

Oh, I know.. that doesn't change the fact that it's irritating (for me) to drop links all over the place or have to modify your playstyle to accommodate a poor connection

Kimosabae

Banned
Just like larger society, the FGC couldn't hold back the tide of easy money to be made.

Smash became a fighting game after a long period of "how do we grow the fgc", the cooling off of the current capcom and tekken offerrings and a need to replace them with something. It also coincided with the explosion in streaming numbers of Nintendo focused events such as speed run marathons.

That is to not recognise the community that stuck with it, just to point out it isn't a 09er thing at all. There is a long history there and it is only very recently that things have changed.

Some of it is without a doubt an "09er" thing. You had people coming into a scene that was still very rooted in a 90's arcade culture that was indifferent to standoffish to newcomers until their worth was proven. This manifested itself in forums most profoundly, where newer players were looking for help (i.e. SRK). It was easy for newer players to sympathize with the notion of Smash players being discriminated against unfairly. The Capcom FGC has always had a reputation of being intolerant to ALL outside communities - Anime, 3D, Smash - the whole nine. It wasn't until the 09' expansion that they started actually getting real heat for it.

Of course, there were just as many 09'ers looking to sympathize with bigotry in an effort to conform. Obviously, what you're saying is also true. This shit is not binary with a lot of social factors involved It's a complex just like all social changes.

I don't pretend to have experienced the history here, but the tale I am always told is that Smash has been hated on for a long time before SFIV came out. If anything, it seems like the 09ers, being the current generation of fighting game players, are part of the mood swing that has brought Smash to Evo. That's just what makes sense to me, though.

There was always a lack of acceptance but it didn't matter. Smash was alive during the fighting game dead era, a time where the only capcom fighting releases were ports of old games and Evo had Mario Kart DS in its lineup. That's why you have these stories of fighting game players like Ultradavid, Chris G, Justin Wong, etc playing Smash because there wasn't much else to play.

IV gave people a reason not to settle for smash. And the new people that came with the fighting game boom aren't more open minded. Capcom fighting games are more popular than ever, so there's less of a reason to tolerate anything else. The hatred for smash isn't different from the past, but it's much more amplified with newer people jumping on the bandwagon. It's also harder to take seriously because melee is so old at this point. Smash predates the whole "I want to play this game because I like watching it on the internet" mentality that came with streaming.

Kimosabae said:

I don't think this newer generation is more tolerant. I would say they have strict views because they're new.

What's causing the integration is that....the smash community is huge. No one can really talk down to the numbers.

Some of it is without a doubt an "09er" thing. You had people coming into a scene that was still very rooted in a 90's arcade culture that was indifferent to standoffish to newcomers until their worth was proven. This manifested itself in forums most profoundly, where newer players were looking for help (i.e. SRK). It was easy for newer players to sympathize with the notion of Smash players being discriminated against unfairly. The Capcom FGC has always had a reputation of being intolerant to ALL outside communities - Anime, 3D, Smash - the whole nine. It wasn't until the 09' expansion that they started actually getting real heat for it.

Of course, there were just as many 09'ers looking to sympathize with bigotry in an effort to conform. Obviously, what you're saying is also true. This shit is not binary with a lot of social factors involved It's a complex just like all social changes.

I may have misunderstood where you were coming from.

Either way I think we can both agree that it is working out extremely well. Lets just hope Nintendo see it as an opportunity and continue to grow their range.

Kimosabae

Banned
There was always a lack of acceptance but it didn't matter. Smash was alive during the fighting game dead era, a time where the only capcom fighting releases were ports of old games and Evo had Mario Kart DS in its lineup. That's why you have these stories of fighting game players like Ultradavid, Chris G, Justin Wong, etc playing Smash because there wasn't much else to play.

IV gave people a reason not to settle for smash. And the new people that came with the fighting game boom aren't more open minded. Capcom fighting games are more popular than ever, so there's less of a reason to tolerate anything else. The hatred for smash isn't different from the past, but it's much more amplified with newer people jumping on the bandwagon. It's also harder to take seriously because melee is so old at this point. Smash predates the whole "I want to play this game because I like watching it on the internet" mentality that came with streaming.

I don't think this newer generation is more tolerant. I would say they have strict views because they're new.

What's causing the integration is that....the smash community is huge. No one can really talk down to the numbers.

So you're denying the notion that the game is more accepted now as a fighting game than it was 6-10 years ago? It's only accepted as a FGC game? If so, I just think you're flat out wrong. 6-10 years ago, people like Sp00ky, Dieminion, Art, Yipes etc. would have never publicly defended Melee's/Smash's merits as a fighting game.

Yeah, some people will remain entrenched in the notion that it's "just a party game" but society makes progress one funeral at a time.

Manbig

As I said with Pokken, not my type of game, so I'm glad how things turned out, although as far as casual appeal for a licensed title, arena fighters probably have greater potential than real ones.

Are you trying to say that Power Stone wasn't a real fighting game?

...:(

ChamplooJones

Formerly Momotaro
As I said with Pokken, not my type of game, so I'm glad how things turned out, although as far as casual appeal for a licensed title, arena fighters probably have greater potential than real ones.

Arena fighters have so much potential in general. Far more than in the traditional fighting game space. Problem is, there has yet to be a game to really nail the formula and be successful both casually and competitively.

Zissou

I'm skeptical of arena fighters as a spectator thing though- traditional fighters do well at this as viewers can see exactly what players see. MOBAs or RTS is ok, but you need to pan around to see action in different areas of the map (though you still essentially see what the players see). The minute you go 3D, you lose the ability to do that.

ShinMaruku

Arena fighters have so much potential in general. Far more than in the traditional fighting game space. Problem is, there has yet to be a game to really nail the formula and be successful both casually and competitively.

That is why we should never put stock something by it's potential and by what can be done.

I agree that can be done, but I don't think any developer can tackles this outside of Nintendo and they don't seem to care about that little segment.

Infinite

yeeaah watching more of the Pokken footage I can see them wanting to change a lot if it ever comes to a console or we gotta tough it out with split screen.

BakedYams

Slayer of Combofiends
Played some more Smash 4 with some good competitive players, well one of them was really good... Really hoping for him to make it top 8 since he got 3rd at Spooky's tournament. Might pick up the game seriously, Mario, Falcon and Sheik are pretty fun.

Hatoko-Meltdown.jpg

Pic sums of the post, not the way Beast Note intended tho

Source pls?

Seems like there is a Curleh tomorrow. Team Spooky is streaming that
curlehmustache-eastcoast-5.png

Player Invite List and more info: http://shoryuken.com/2015/01/23/surprise-curleh-mustache-returns-to-the-east-coast-tomorrow/

I really hope they still down sign ins after 2 cause that's when I finish work.

Oh shit I completely fucked up.

YAMS. NOW IS YOUR TIME. GET ON THAT SPOTLIGHT. You know the drill.
I'm sure you have multiple revisions completed already

I'll have them hot and ready by Sunday.

Village

That is why we should never put stock something by it's potential and by what can be done.

I agree that can be done, but I don't think any developer can tackles this outside of Nintendo and they don't seem to care about that little segment.

I think anyone outside of just the pokemon company, the pokemon company seems to really want this to be as competitive as much as casual. I think if this game was just regular nintendo, they might not share this motivation .

ShinMaruku

Anybody in here don't care what Sakurai says as long as the game is good and solid and has people playing it in a tourney configuration? Because Blizzard wanted wow to be an e-sport and this shit failed. They put some things in and a focus on it and it did not take, Sakurai makes something compelling and people play it, who care what he's trolling about?

Top Bottom