• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Games Weekly | Jan 19-25 | As Seen On WSHH

I think anyone outside of just the pokemon company, the pokemon company seems to really want this to be as competitive as much as casual. I think if this game was just regular nintendo, they might not share this motivation .

yeah, that's because they actually already push their own tournaments (TCG+VGC) :p

ShinMaruku

I think anyone outside of just the pokemon company, the pokemon company seems to really want this to be as competitive as much as casual. I think if this game was just regular nintendo, they might not share this motivation .

Thing is Nintendo is so good at making these games that it can be unintended but a good tourney scene can come out of that type of game coming from them.

So you're denying the notion that the game is more accepted now as a fighting game than it was 6-10 years ago? It's only accepted as a FGC game? If so, I just think you're flat out wrong. 6-10 years ago, people like Sp00ky, Dieminion, Art, Yipes etc. would have never publicly defended Melee's/Smash's merits as a fighting game.

My point was that the 'status quo' is different now with the resurgence SF4 brought.

6-10 years ago Melee didn't need the stamp of approval from the players of a dying genre. Certainly not from someone who plays melty blood. It's like me defending tekken in this thread in present day.

Mr. X

Not all scenes shunned/hated Smash series in the past, just the ones that were more visible like EVO/WC.

Also, not many but there are Smash players who went to other fighters. The other way around, not so much.

Busaiku

Unlike Nintendo, Pokemon absolutely loves their hardcore fans.
You can bet on big things for Pokken when they're involved, and thankfully Nintendo will have little to do with it.

Unless it bombs horribly.

xezuru

Also, not many but there are Smash players who went to other fighters. The other way around, not so much.

They have those like in MvC3 like Bum, Chris G, and Forward.

I would actually like to see Forward play well in Marvel again, his oldschool Falco play was smooth as shit and it was a surprise to see him go full technical and make top 8 Cviper at Evo.

BakedYams

Slayer of Combofiends
You can bet on big things for Pokken when they're involved, and thankfully Nintendo will have little to do with it.

Harada is making it, he has a good track record, plus it has iconic characters for two very passionate and competitive fan-bases, the pokemon and fighting game community. If this bombs its cause they didn't include Charizard or Blaziken.

whoa whoa whoa WAAAAAAAAAIT A MINUTE!

what time and who's twitch?

zDbOPtB.png

4PM eastern.

Spooky's channel as always.

Sayah

The one mentioned in the last several posts lol.

Marvel 3.

>_>

While MvC3 is full of the most bullshit I've seen in any fighting game, I still love it and enjoyed my time with it a lot. I am really hoping for a well made and well balanced Capcom VS. game based off of the MvC3 system. But seeing as even SFV (the bigger Capcom franchise) needs Sony funding to be made, I have low hopes.

Marz

Haters ain't hating on anything. Marvel sucks, people that actually play fighting games have known this for a while.

Its fun though and it gave us Dormammu and Dante so it was worth putting a couple thousand hours into.

Infinite

I'm always confused when people say stuff like this. Correct me if I'm wrong but wasn't the Pokemon company spun off from Nintendo and Game Freak to specifically manage the Pokemon brand in regards to licensing and things of the nature you speak of in this post? I mean, it should come as no shock that The Pokemon Company would set up organized play for Pokemon content as they exist in part for that purpose, while Nintendo remains a publisher/developer/manufacturer of said content.

They game won't bomb btw. It's literally arcade crack

Marz

A Pokemon fighting game has no chance of bombing.

Even if the game sucks, the first few months the game will bring in tons of money just off name brand alone.

Pokemon made by the Tekken team? Easy cash.

Marvel's movement, cast and team building aspect is what made it different from other fighters. Its unfortunate that there are TOD combos, TAC infinites and Vergil but it built characters and assists that highlight different elements of the game (5 meter for dark phoenix, tac for Frank, XF3 for strider, super super for storm).

I liked the BS, and how people manage the BS and defeat the BS.

Honestly it was the best game showing how you imagine a super hero would move/play.

Dahbomb

Glactus was the final nail in the coffin for me, personally.
For online play that is definitely understandable though you can't really fault the game for that as it's a blatant hack. I guess you can blame the bogus contract that Capcom strung up with Marvel that doesn't allow them to fix potentially game breaking bugs/hacks in the game.

The engine and this type of battle system is always very open and very prone to broken stuff... Capcom had damn near 20 years of experience on it and they still didn't learn.

Marvel is like Libertarianism -- it's something I can sort of appreciate conceptually, but not something I want to actually ever associate with or participate in

petghost

Banned
as a dude who never really played marvel but enjoyed watching it from time to time i think the loss of appeal for me personally is that the game has seemingly kind of settled into what its gonna be like for the next 10 years and i dont really find that terribly interesting anymore. the game was very exciting because the system was crazy enough to allow for a lot of creativity and unseen things week to week but now that the discovery period has slowed down so much im not sure it is nearly as interesting as say, marvel 2 when the discovery period of that game ended.

CPS2

I'm not sure how widely known this is but marvel is actually awesome and people who complain about it are stupid. The only thing that really sucks about it is that its unplayable online, so you're kinda forced to play it against people who somehow have time to spend thousands of hours playing games they don't like, while complaining about how dumb it is and making you feel like you have better ways to spend your time. I really hope they manage to fix the netcode if they ever make a sequel.

Zissou

I'm not sure how widely known this is but marvel is actually awesome and people who complain about it are stupid. The only thing that really sucks about it is that its unplayable online, so you're kinda forced to play it against people who somehow have time to spend thousands of hours playing games they don't like, while complaining about how dumb it is and making you feel like you have better ways to spend your time. I really hope they manage to fix the netcode if they ever make a sequel.

church-baby-ouquf5.gif

Lemstar

Good riddance to that game. Glad that I saw it for what it was early on and never wasted much time on it.
you predicted that a fighting game was going to have fewer players four years down the line so you're glad you didn't play it?

guess i'm uninstalling xrd right now, don't wanna waste time on a future dead game

Manbig

you predicted that a fighting game was going to have fewer players four years down the line so you're glad you didn't play it?

guess i'm uninstalling xrd right now, don't wanna waste time on a future dead game

That has absolutely nothing to do with I said and I am slightly amused that you came to that odd conclusion.

Let me clarify for you then.

I thought that game sucked early on and didn't waste my time with it. While lots of people played it and enjoyed it, there was also a large crowd that didn't like what they saw, but stuck with it hoping that patching or the then evolving metagame would improve things down the line. Seems like they were wrong.

Seyavesh

marvel is a bad game but it's also quite unique and fun in a lot of key aspects. there is a massive pool of creativity with a very strong illusion that it's worthwhile due to how the team setups work- even unique ones are generally "situationally strong". of course, the reality is that only a few characters are actually truly competitively viable and standardization of teams occurs due to that but the draw is pretty much always there to some degree

it's rather unfortunate that it's a pretty bad game because with only a few key changes it'd at least have the strength of that massive box of creativity without the cancerous character and system designs dragging it down to the deepest, darkest pits of hell

the game being both stale and bad is generally good enough reason to dislike it, but for some bizarre reason i don't really trust anybody when they say "man fuck marvel" because i really get the feeling they have no idea what they're talking about at all and would be unable to produce specific beliefs as to why the game is bad when pressed over vague things parroted from folks who actually do understand the flaws with the game

fader

people are entitled to their own opinion. if you like it, you like it no need to trivialize peoples opinions because they dont like a game you like

Seyavesh

people are entitled to their own opinion. if you like it, you like it no need to trivialize peoples opinions because they dont like a game you like

i will never trust anybody who likes sfxt or skullgirls, their brains are just too alien from me

every time i see someone's a fan of those games i can't help but think body snatchers are real and that pod people truly are terrifying

but maybe also a simple race who enjoy taking slow walks on the beach

hm

Top Bottom