• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Games Weekly | Jan 19-25 | As Seen On WSHH

Skilotonn

xbot xbot xbot xbot xbot
Unless RayRay chokes it up, he can take this Curleh.

But the full list is so varied for this Curleh that I wouldn't guess otherwise.

JeTmAn81

I'm sad that Injustice won't be at EVO this year. I still enjoy the game and it seemed to be getting continuous developer support to help it stay current.

oneida

Cock Strain, Lifetime Warranty
Sadly its the truth as this is East Coast Curleh.

No Justin Marvelous Wong to body these ZMC players.
chris g isn't returning to the ol stomping grounds?

NL is a cool spot, last time I was there they fixed the toilet so it didn't smell so fuckin bad. and I didn't get any parking tickets for the 3 days I was there. A+

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
What happened with Bum? Sp00ky refuses to talk about it on stream which is nice of him if it's something personal.

Dahbomb

Captain America was a few minor tweaks away from being a top character.
184.gif

Awwww, the Smash fanbase are so cute, and multicultural too. And a plus to have moms and dads there to support them too.

I don't get the hate on it, really. I think it's cool to have people so young or old taking an interest in the community.

Plus I'm dad sponsored so I can never hate on a parent helping their kid(s) out

Also did Yams make it over to Curleh to get bopped?

I don't get the hate on it, really. I think it's cool to have people so young or old taking an interest in the community.

Plus I'm dad sponsored so I can never hate on a parent helping their kid(s) out

Also did Yams make it over to Curleh to get bopped?

I mean, if you consider it. Back in the day parents and kids played on the NES. Back when games were simplistic, but games. Now we have a bunch of teenagers and 20-somethings wanting to play anything but what their parents would play. Cue grimdork QTE fests. It's funny to read people who grew up on Super Mario Bros. to say Mario is not even a real game.

#gamespotforums #thememories

Or some stupid hashtags like that. Time for wine and GG methinks :3

So when is someone going to make a Project M-esque gameplay mod for UMvC3
Project M came about because Brawl was trash, and people wanted to compete with the new characters. UMvC3 has balance issues, but the base game isn't garbage, and it isn't a failure following the success of its predecessor. Plus, a Smash game is way easier to balance than a Marvel game.

Seyavesh

you act as if the game's flaws are particularly obscure or hard to discern. they're really not.

yeah, obviously not! which is why i worded it like the paranoia it is rather than anything reasonable. it's just a feeling i can't seem to shake.

Don't think I can agree with you there. Across four EVO's (including vanilla which I know isn't the same game) the winning Marvel teams consisted of 12 unique characters configured in teams of varying styles (runaway/resets, rushdown/zoning hybrid, all-out aggressive rushdown, etc.). So that's as diverse as it gets, actually. There's certainly a lot of Zero, Doom and Vergil out there but we are continuing to see evolution in the game. Big bodies are starting to make more of an impact. We had Hulk and Shuma in the top 8 for the first time last year.

And even amongst the top players who play very common characters such as Magneto and Doom, the playstyles of choice are quite varied. FChamp's Magneto plays nothing like RayRay's Magneto. The top tier of Marvel players (Justin Wong, Chris G, Filipino Champ, PR Balrog) is still comprised of multi-game experts with all-around fighting game talent, showing it takes more than just grinding away on infinites to win in Marvel. It takes fundamentals. Just because you don't pay attention to these things doesn't mean they don't exist.
that's fair i guess, though i don't think big bodies are a particularly new or unknown quantity (this might be local bias as ive had to deal with them for pretty much all of umvc3's lifespan locally). the way that i consider the viability issue is that over time the number of viable competitive characters has been lowering as folks have gotten better with the actual competitive chars given how much they shut the game down for noncompetitive characters. i mean, taking into account results from 2-3 years ago kinda seems disingenuous to the current state of the game. in a tournament setting you're ultimately going to have to deal with a competent zero or morrigan and the skill gap between someone playing a lesser team against a competent player of those characters has to be pretty significant to win it, unfortunately. that doesn't mean it's possible, but it does mean that your characters are effectively non-competitive because you're simply not at a competitive advantage against the most likely characters you'd encounter in a large tournament setting if you wanted to go all the way and win.

this is stemming from seeing my local scene become literally 100% top tier players over the course of 3 years so yeahhh

i said nothing about skill or styles in regards to how those are applied to the game in my original post so i dunno where that's coming from though. especially with the 'grinding out infinites' thing, what's that all about?

also as an aside that i'm sure i'll regret, both jan and kbr have been eternally working on side teams specifically because they don't believe hulk is competitively viable either (vs. mags, zero and morrigan specifically) so i thought that was a weird thing to bring up as a counter-example of the issue, haha.

ShinMaruku

I think it's time for a break from sf4 today. I played for god knows how many hours and got nowhere. Break time. Even from streams :p

JoeInky

;_;

Looking forward to what this year holds for the Smash community.

I miss prog, if there was anyway he could commentate with D1 at this years evo or Melee, that would just be amazing.

Dahbomb

So when is someone going to make a Project M-esque gameplay mod for UMvC3
Never and even if it does no one is going to really play it. MVC3 is playable and fun enough where you don't really need a huge game play mod. This isn't really like a Brawl situation.

At best someone can hack the game to replace the TAC system with the one that is already in the game (1 meter for a TAC to continue combo, combo continues scaling). Automatically removes infinites.

Project M came about because Brawl was trash, and people wanted to compete with the new characters. UMvC3 has balance issues, but the base game isn't garbage, and it isn't a failure following the success of its predecessor. Plus, a Smash game is way easier to balance than a Marvel game.
But there are parts if the game that people would love to see changed like X factor and TACs. That plus balancing would be awesome for the game. I didn't say the game was trash but I'm guessing most of he scene would love something like that.

The best Marvel fighting game is Marvel Super Heroes because it has a unique to itself gameplay mechanic that's tied to the game's thematic elements (licensed property) and is more cohesive not being a mishmash of elements and characters from different mediums and countries. It feels like more thought was put into its existence and design than the reuse of resources they had already made being crammed together in progressively "bigger" games (the trajectory of the series until they had to make everything fresh with 3).

If Capcom made another one to coincide with the Infinity War movies, I wouldn't even complain.

Random tangent I had been meaning to say ever since I saw Max playing it a couple of weeks ago.

petghost

Banned
The best Marvel fighting game is Marvel Super Heroes because it has a unique to itself gameplay mechanic that's tied to the game's thematic elements (licensed property) and is more cohesive not being a mishmash of elements and characters from different mediums and countries. It feels like more thought was put into its existence and design than the reuse of resources they had already made being crammed together in progressively "bigger" games (the trajectory of the series until they had to make everything fresh with 3).

If Capcom made another one to coincide with the Infinity War movies, I wouldn't even complain.

Random tangent I had been meaning to say ever since I saw Max playing it a couple of weeks ago.

I loved that game as a kid and it may be thematically cohesive but looking back at it god damn that game is whack. Infinity gems were dumb as well.

Dahbomb

But there are parts if the game that people would love to see changed like X factor and TACs. That plus balancing would be awesome for the game. I didn't say the game was trash but I'm guessing most of he scene would love something like that.
Yeah but how many people would even play it? Once Marvel/Disney gets a sniff of it, that shit will get C&D'd on the double.

Most competitive Marvel players would not even care much for it "why would I play this version with nerfed Vergil/Zero/Morrigan? I want to keep winning."

This came up a while back when someone brought up the idea of a Kickstarter for the patch for UMVC3. People like ShadyK stated stuff like "yea as if I am going to pay Capcom to get Vergil nerfed... LMAO!"

Top Bottom