• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Games Weekly | July 14-20 | Bracket Resets Full of Tears (of Joy?)

Revven

Why hasn't anyone posted the Pikachu 4 stock gif in here yet? (I don't have it on me otherwise I would do it)

Also, one can only hope CF will be good in Smash 4 again lol. It all hinges on the engine itself tbh. If Falcon can't combo for beans, he's going to be garbage tier again. ;~;

The whole french community revels on tears from forums, especially eventhubs comments and community. What an EVO. :')

If you stand at the edge of the UK, you can see the tide of tears heading towards Dover across the channel.

For me it was:

Galileo vs Dogura
Axe vs Silent Wolf
Yoshiki vs Pain
Snake Eyes vs Luffy
Tiku vs Pain/Matoi

Godlike evo

What y'all think we're overall top 5 matches of the weekend?

Louffy vs snake eyes
Champ vs Justin
Champ vs apologyman
Snake eyes vs xian
Blaz blue gf

In a tier of it's own, Marn should be there.

That Pikachu match was hype but I love watching Marn play. BlazBlue was awesome too.

If you stand at the edge of the UK, you can see the tide of tears heading towards Dover across the channel.

Ah ah ah. :'D

By the way Luffy plays King, Mai and Vice in KOF because they have the bigger breast in the game, Vice being the god tier. He looked at the characters description before choosing them.

In a tier of it's own, Marn should be there.

That Pikachu match was hype but I love watching Marn play. BlazBlue was awesome too.

I would have put marn putting chrisG into losers onto my list if i had more space haha. I actually found the pools, semis and quarters a lot more hype in general than the finals day outside of maybe BB's.

Riposte

The amount of posts have been made about the new Smash, a game that isn't out yet, is almost disgusting to consider. Every regular in the 10 main anticipation threads frighten me.

The new trailer made Falcon look better than any of the new Fire Emblem additions in the movie.

P.S. Awakening is one of the weakest titles in the series and we are worse off by any extension to its legacy.

Zissou

Justin winning marvel was so god damned hype. It might be the best evo narrative yet. He got RIDICULOUSLY close last year (hype through the roof!) and then brought it back this year and beat the guy who beat him last year, along with two other legit marvel gods. He did it by picking his shit and dominating through sheer skill. Evo hype that spanned two Evo tournaments?! The king has returned.

Infinite

The amount of posts have been made about the new Smash, a game that isn't out yet, is almost disgusting to consider. Every regular in the 10 main anticipation threads frighten me.

The new trailer made Falcon look better than any of the new Fire Emblem additions in the movie.

P.S. Awakening is one of the weakest titles in the series and we are worse off by any extension to its legacy.
I'm not a fan of fire emblem but I enjoyed awakening the most out of any of them I played. And I played all of the North American published ones -shrug-

Kalamari

I'm so sad that Evo is over, it's like the feeling I get at the end of the Super Bowl.

Here are my thoughts:

- Hypest GF was Blazblue. After losing to Dogura 0-3 previously, you knew from the beginning of GFs that Garireo's chances were pretty slim. Seeing the momentum shifts that top-level BB play provides made these game really fun to watch in my opinion, Garireo came through in a few particularly clutch moments. This GF comes close to, but doesn't quite match, the hype of KoF GF last year, the tension was immensely palpable during that match.

- Funniest victory celebration goes to Jwong, clearly.

- Considering how awesome USF4 was on Friday, the top 8 seemed a little boring to me. The Snake Eyez games were partly to blame, but also most of the games just seemed a lot slower to me. Sako/Ricky was pretty exciting to watch, but the other matches seemed to be a little stale, probably due to the character matchups being played.

- I didn't see any of Yatagarasu or Lethal League, I was hoping they would give those games some stream time. P4AU looks ridonkulous though, Shadow Chie holy shit!

- Altogether, it was a great event, I don't know how much viewership grew over last year, but I think it was significant. It's good to see that the event and FGC is getting excellent exposure, hopefully this will get more people into fighting games and grow the scene.

Riposte

Whenever I read an EVO thread, this question pops in my head: "What's more important during a fighting game stream: the level/depth of play or the entertainment value?"

I really enjoyed watching Blazblue but at least to me it seemed like a lot of the Grand Finals sets were won due to Dogura choking. He had solid opportunities to close everything out many times and just couldn't

Still probably the most emotional (in terms of tears at least) grand finals set of the weekend, and definitely one of my favorite without a doubt.

Whenever I read an EVO thread, this question pops in my head: "What's more important during a fighting game stream: the level/depth of play or the entertainment value?"

I don't think they're mutually exclusive. Finals on the main stage at Evo is typically both, for me at least.

Both?

Honestly it seems like entertainment for much of the games like Marvel. Games where only the same people are doing well and showing largely the same tech each time like MvC3, you need a lot more personality to make it worth watching much of the time for most people.

Blazblue, KoF, and Ultra had amazing gameplay though. I would also argue the entertainment factor for Blazblue as well as it was emotional, funny, and downright amazing to watch. Smash had good gameplay but ran so long I could have used some entertainment value. Same for KoF, amazing matches, boring commentary and inbetween.

Honestly it is what sets Fighting games apart from the rest of the paid gaming like LoL and DoTA, there just isn't that drama/entertainment during the matches, and between them like there is here. Great gameplay, but nothing else.

My hands were over my mouth during all of snake eyez matches and louffy's even if they were super slow. Every hit/option they did had such implications that I was like oh my god what's gonna happen next

Riposte

Is Mario anime?

Because you phrased the question as if there should be a definitive answer?

I can't even bother with this. I really hope anyone who feels like making the very salient point of "that's an opinion!" during an internet discussion is at a young age where their brain is still developing.

Busaiku

OSwqb8o.jpg

You mean Palutena.

Infinite

You can't have one without the other. High level play creates an entertaining stream. People love seeing clutch moments like Daigo's parry and the feats Justin Wong pulled two evos in a row during marvel top 8. Likewise no one likes a complete steam roll where one player is just bodying everyone else Like infiltration's run in top 8 in 2012 and no one definitely wants to see low level players duke it out (see everyone response to pull play.) So to answer your question I think the level of play is important because it creates an entertaining stream more than anything else.

Busaiku

You can definitely have 1 without the other.

Justin and Chris were dropping so many things it was ridiculous.
Tekken 6 finals were the worst thing in the history of fighting games.

I'd say the latter, caveat being that if the former isn't being properly expressed to a certain degree, then the stream loses any meaningful distinction from other forms of entertainment.

Infinite

but I thought VF was a dry game

I would sit down and watch high level VF but people who say that probably don't understand what high level in that game means. So commentary has to pick up the slack in that regard. They probably was talking about playing it though to be fair

Is Mario anime?

I can't even bother with this. I really hope anyone who feels like making the very salient point of "that's an opinion!" during an internet discussion is at a young age where their brain is still developing.
I don't know why you posted that instead of addressing my question to you

Infinite

Dropped combos doesn't mean they weren't playing the game at a high level it only means the high pressure situation was getting to the players which is normal. It's also indictment of marvel since people drop shit all the time no matter who they are.

I didn't see tekken but it seemed like JDCR steam rolled through everyone proving my point.

Dahbomb

Justin winning marvel was so god damned hype. It might be the best evo narrative yet. He got RIDICULOUSLY close last year (hype through the roof!) and then brought it back this year and beat the guy who beat him last year, along with two other legit marvel gods. He did it by picking his shit and dominating through sheer skill. Evo hype that spanned two Evo tournaments?! The king has returned.
EVO 2014 is the definitive sequel to EVO 2013.. it's the EVO we DESERVED!

I didn't see tekken but it seemed like JDCR steam rolled through everyone proving my point.

I seem to remember it being mentioned at some point that JDCR was potentially not going to make it, then when I saw he was there, I actually said aloud, "Welp."

MCP|Gen got a couple good shots in there in GF, but yeah, overall it was sigma free.

Riposte, I need you to clarify your question. Important with regard to what?

What was wrong with T6 finals?

Pics_nao

I gotta say, I wasn't hype for Marvel at all this year but those finals blew me the fuck away. I was also really surprised about how hype BB finals were. Even more surprised by how boring I found Ultra finals especially after the first day of pools. Damn good EVO and I hope I can make it out there next year.

MormaPope

Banned
Capcom is probably kicking themselves in the head for not developing some sort of patch or content update for Marvel before the contract expiring. All of the character balancing/changes alone make Ultra feel like something extremely new.

Riposte

If entertainment value is put as a priority, then perhaps it's inevitable that streaming revolution changes or has changed the way we look at, play, and even make fighting games.

but I thought VF was a dry game

Super meters is the new foreplay.

Riposte, I need you to clarify your question. Important with regard to what?

I've used rather loose terms, but I meant the idea of fighting game tournaments as skill tests versus broadcasted entertainment.

Top Bottom