• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Games Weekly | July 14-20 | Bracket Resets Full of Tears (of Joy?)

Just caught up on USF4 finals. Credits to the Evo staff for not locking the archives behind a paywall this year.

Louffy played out of his mind that T8. Good lord.

WarRock

Dropping in the FGW thread to say that I really liked oneframelink's fight facts. Quickly knowing the results the last times two competitors faced each other or which tournaments they recently won is a GREAT thing to spectators, casuals or not.

It's not perfect yet, but it's a huge step into getting more people to enjoy and understand FG streams IMO.

The "did you know?", loading screen tips style, from CapcomFighters is also a good idea. Shame it was about random stuff and not insight in gameplay basics. Explaining what a tick throw is so someone can watch out for it when the next match between pros happens would be way more beneficial than saying "it's ok to play on a pad" or "psychic DPs!".

Azure J

NES Mario > Genesis Sonic > SNES Mario

Come at me, bros.

How can this be anything but right when Super Mario World is the only SNES Mario platforming title? Yoshi's Island gives Sonic 3 & Knuckles a titanic rival match but neither edges out the other.

Edit: Also, BEECH mode activate.

Malice215

So many amazing moments happened this weekend, now ruined by bringing up da beech in the thread title. :p. Oh well, might as well go all the way.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zupc6NC-X9U

I remember being up front at the stage for the SF4 finals in 2012 and seeing all of the emotion on Ryan Hart's face when Infiltration won for Western Wolves. You see these moments and wonder how can EVO top things for next year, and each year they do. So disappointed that I couldn't be there this year, but congrats to the staff for putting on another amazing event this year and raising the bar for production.

Sonic Fox had an amazing weekend. Maybe if Injustice wasn't on Saturday or played a Capcom game he would have been considered, but he'll be fine. He can now put EVO champion under his résumé, but more people should pay attention to him because he's amazing in whatever game he touches since I first met him in 2012 when he started playing SCV, and has won tournaments for multiple games at majors.

lol at the people trying to discredit Louffy for winning SF4. He's been putting in work for years. He stuck with his character and played out of his mind instead of switching to the flavor of the month like other players who got put out early.

I'm really looking forward to seeing how Ultra shapes up with more huge tournaments coming up that don't take place at da beech. Hopefully Capcom updates the game in time for the retail release or shortly after.

Also congrats to Justin for putting on an amazing performance. He wanted that championship badly and did so his way. Marvel is saved.

Village

ioQ7lxgxAuhhI.png

:/

I forgot about that guy.

ehh...

Anyways evo was fun.

phaonaut

Great EVO all around. Top Marvel play is still incredible to watch, Champ movement/evasion in the first two matches against Justin was some of the best I've ever seen from him.

onionfrog

Great Evo! Marvel grand finals were especially good. Justin Wong still doesn't know how to celebrate tho. So happy to see Wong take it with an honest, Doom/Vergil-less team.

I need to go back and catch the archives for usf4.

What's the consensus on Tekken X Street Fighter? Is it as dead as Darkstalkers?

Also shoutouts to CasperOne and One Frame Link. I enjoyed the fight facts during matches and noticed commentators making use of your statistics during matches. Especially Ski during marvel.

Beckx

In no particular order:

- I think the BB finals were the most hype for me, in no small part due to Dora's play (and cosplay) and Dacidbro's commentary. Now I'm thinking of getting the Vita version.

- A shame that SG got bodied on stream time, but I enjoyed top 4. Cerebella best grappler in all of fighting games.

- With my tastes moving away from Capcom games for whatever reason, I didn't watch a ton of SF and ended up missing the finals for Marvel and Ultra. I know who won, but if there's a cliff notes version of what went down, I'd love it. (Is ChrisG the Buffalo Bills/Minnesota Vikings of Marvel (so many Super Bowls, no victories)?)

- Seeing stuff on twitter about how the fact a pad user won means that fightstick makers were "exposed". Sad. Choosing to play with a fightstick is about wanting that experience, IMO, not wanting a competitive edge.

- I thought it was cool that Nintendo showed Smash fans the love again with a Reggie intro. Yes, it's all business, but still cool.

- I didn't get to post much but checked the threads when I could, and enjoyed reading what you guys had to say.

- with the announcement of a new SF in development, put the final nail in Darkstalkers, but honestly that's probably okay with me. A few of GundamGAF got together to play Night Warriors for a few hours on Saturday (damn you SousedLouse and your stupid beam robot), and I just don't think modern Capcom would do it justice.

- Thread title should have been about Dahbomb making bank on bets.

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
If there's one thing that the OFL stuff could improve on for next year it's live updates for match results ESPN style
Yup. That, and making the scrolls less distracting. They should just pop in and out quickly instead of scrolling across the screen very slowly. The latter distracts from the matches too much.

I think the choice of statistics shown throughout the tournament got somewhat better as time went on, though. "The last X times players A and B met, the result was ____" was a lot better than "Player A's win rate [in what, exactly?} is __."

.la1n

mia-hamm-1.jpg

was this what justin wong tried to do?

Luckily we never had to see that much of Justin's skin.

EVO was great this year, one of my favorites. Marvel, surprisingly, was my favorite this year followed by BlazeBlue. Smash felt obnoxiously long and Ultra wasn't very exciting for me. It was great to see Ricky in top 8 along with Snake Eyez though.

BsfS9RKCAAAWHpw.jpg

Man, he sent ALL the Feis home.

Oh frikkin' my. Dude is amazing.

Keep your shitty opinion to yourself.

I love K.I but daaamn I was disappointed. I was on Skype with a friend (who plays Sadira) and we're both just like "dude WTF is this"? We're both excited to see Grimmmz...then he loses horribly. Justins Sabrewulf was boring as heck which is odd since he plays Wolverine. The Sadiras were incredibly bad. No emphasise on damage output and that same jump cancel combo rather that what she's actually capable off.
Rico Suaves Thunder was the only decent thing there and that's because the Sadira just wouldn't block.

Thunder: Heavy knock down
Sadira: No block
Thunder: Light Kick > Tomahawk Buster

C'mon block!
I disagree with K.I being crapped on but man the level of mehness from EVO 2014 left the game feeling misrepresented. No combos. No care. Meh commentary. No Hype.

BlazBlue's finals really put that game in a good light and was honestly an inspiring win.
Marvel was awesome to watch overall and seeing Justin Wong win was nice.
Ultra showcased how the game has now changed from vortex to footsies.
Melee in general was just interesting to watch. Especially that Pikachu match.

thelastword

Banned
My goodness, that's an impressive list of players to beat without losing. Congrats luffy, very impressed, what a player. Eh!..pad warriors unite to the world...

Mad love to all the GAF crew met this weekend. Hope to meet even more of you guys next year.

Special shout out to Papawicks and nycfurby for that hat.

For everyone that didn't come, I hope you're not as free next year

damn, all the finals were hype. BB, SF4, MVC3, KOF (too bad it had crap commentators). The feels were out in full force too.

I will say about louffy's run that I think part of it, and he might also think about it as well is that the last three matches he played were matchups that were in rose's favor (6-4). That probably helped out a bit. He's beaten ricky at evo before so I think he would've done well against him too.

WarRock

I think the choice of statistics shown throughout the tournament got somewhat better as time went on, though. "The last X times players A and B met, the result was ____" was a lot better than "Player A's win rate [in what, exactly?} is __."

No doubt. It felt less and less mechanic and more concise.

Capcom about to nerf Rose with that 2015 patch amirite?

Rose's meter gain nerfed to make her fairer.
Yun players felt that they were not being rewarded for landing his command grab, so we restored it to its AE state.
Players felt that Dee Jay was too boring to play against, so we removed his fireball to make fighting him more interesting.

Shito

Yun players felt that they were not being rewarded for landing his command grab, so we restored it to its AE state.
Players felt that Dee Jay was too boring to play against, so we removed his fireball to make fighting him more interesting.
Heehee.

I don't understand people ranting over Rose's meter gain from absorbed fireballs: first of all, it's not free, you still have to choose the correct option and timing depending on the fireball thrown at you (it costed Luffy quite a bit of health lost against bonchan), and second of all stop feeding her fireballs at max range for fuck sake! ^^

Also, I don't care much for Smash, but I'm happy to see Lucina in it.

Azure J

How you guys feel about the new smash bros characters?

Robin is going to be that dude/chick. Seriously, Smash has wanted a true mage since forever. Instead we got a mage with blade normals and potential stance mechanics.

Falcon is Falcon, dude wasn't going anywhere.

Lucina is the weird one for me though. Is she a Marth alt? Her own character? If the latter, how does she differentiate from Marth? She was shown with numerous normals similar to Marth's and two of Marth's trademark specials.

lolChrom

I have four characters to try now with Falcon confirmed:

Kirby
Falcon
Dedede
Charizard

Of course I'll only be getting the game for 3DS, so I doubt I'll ever put serious time into it.

NEO0MJ

Luffy winning with Rose is a nice follow up to Xian winning with Gen last year. For those playing Ultra online has there been a jump in Rose players or is it too early?

The terrifying thing is that this is so believable.

Of course I'll only be getting the game for 3DS, so I doubt I'll ever put serious time into it.

I'm buying for both because I can't wait :(

Just wait until he comes back with his kart. Does he still have his old final smash?

M: You are largely seen as the best Rose player in the world. For how long have you been playing her, and why have you chosen her, specifically?

L: I've been playing Rose since I started playing the game. I chose Rose right away because of the size of her breasts and her costume colors, pink and blue are my favorite.

And who said cleavage in videogames isn't a selling point!?

Top Bottom