• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Games Weekly | June 22-28 | Ryu's in Smash 4, Jigglypuff's in SF5

Tripon

Wasn't he the guy that did the big goodbye thing on stage last year?

I think so. But i thought he was just stepping back from doing too much due to his bout with cancer

Yeah he took a break from the smash circuit cause of health issues but it seems he's better now. This whole development is entirely new to me tho

MrWizard was pushing for Prog to do one more set at Evo this year, and he was going to do it until now.

TheChits

Smash drama today.

Prog was going to do commentary for Top 8 at EVO.
People got upset about it. Wizard is upset about people going at Prog
Prog steps down from doing commentary.

Of all people, how are you going to hate on Prog? That is so stupid

Zubz

Banned
Its that time again...
mFknDRm.jpg

Well, we finally have a PC port of KI confirmed, as well as the full-remix of Combo's theme available on YouTube. I'm sure it'll be that as soon as I get my hands on the PC version of KI. But for right now? I'd say "Under the Bridge" from Skullgirls.

I don't know really know the smash commentators but I know it's players. Prog isn't ringing any bells for me. When he played who'd he main? Maybe I'll remember if I re watched some streams, I've probably seen him on stream or something. The only commentators I'm familair with are the people that do the Street Fighter ones.

Infinite

I don't know really know the smash commentators but I know it's players. Prog isn't ringing any bells for me. When he played who'd he main? Maybe I'll remember if I re watched some streams, I've probably seen him on stream or something. The only commentators I'm familair with are the people that do the Street Fighter ones.
You don't know prog? He's from NYC and he played Marth.

Shouta

I should put in they money we can do the greatest tag team ever created in the FGC, r/Kappa NeoGAF KojiKOG.

mbpm1

Prog is like basically like if UltraDavid and Yipes was combined into one commentator for Smash

Very surprised people didn't want him.

Kumubou

Wait, why are people blowing up over Prog doing commentary for Evo? I don't follow SSBM that closely, but I thought he even hinted at coming back for Evo this year if he was up to it. The hell?

I should put in they money we can do the greatest tag team ever created in the FGC, r/Kappa NeoGAF KojiKOG.
I'm almost tempted to chip in for this, just for the ensuing blow-up. That and he really is a good player to watch, between some of bit nutty antics and very solid fundamentals.

I would request a FT5 against him if this happens... in Aquapazza. (You think I play SF4? Pfft.) No, he would not need to cosplay for that (please don't).

Devid905

I'm not a Smash player, and I don't follow the Smash community, but why are they up and arms over Prog commentating the Top 8? :/

Shouta

Prog is a super popular in the community and very good at it. Folks were hoping he would do it for the big show again.

Mr. X

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";169513130]Some characters can combo into super off of throws against certain characters, Remy can get a combo off of neutral throw.

Also, characters have random amounts of throw-invincibility frames going from crouching to standing so Makoto and Q can destroy grapplers by mashing down on the arcade stick at close range.

3s is a weird game.[/QUOTE]
Its only Dudley that gets hit by some throws by some 1f supers. I only recall shotos able to do it.

Otherwise it's ageis into throw hitting ppl.

And every character can end specials in any up to gain jump start throw invinc fyi.

I'm not a Smash player, and I don't follow the Smash community, but why are they up and arms over Prog commentating the Top 8? :/
People are upset that someone who is inactive for the whole year gets to do top 8 for one or two events out of the year just because they're the biggest, while others that work hard throughout the year get shafted. I don't follow Melee anymore so I don't care who commentates, but this situation is interesting.

Tripon

Prog is a super popular in the community and very good at it. Folks were hoping he would do it for the big show again.

so.... they wanted him to do the whole show and not just top 8?

Top 8 is kind of the big show?

...wait, so why are people pissed at prog? Im so confused now.
Prog is super popular, but people wanted their favorites commentators do it as well even if it wasn't realistic or didn't have the relationship Prog has with EVO.

So some people decided to take shots at Prog (and D1) in order to bolster their case for their favorite commentators.

Shouta

Prog is super popular, but people wanted their favorites commentators do it as well even if it wasn't realistic or didn't have the relationship Prog has with EVO.

So some people decided to take shots at Prog (and D1) in order to bolster their case for their favorite commentators.

There we go. I thought people were upset Prog wasn't doing it, lol. My bad.

Tripon

There we go. I thought people were upset Prog wasn't doing it, lol. My bad.

People are upset that Prog isn't doing Evo anymore, there was just a smaller group of people who wanted to complain that their favorite commentators wasn't given the chance.

Its only Dudley that gets hit by some throws by some 1f supers. I only recall shotos able to do it.

Otherwise it's ageis into throw hitting ppl.

And every character can end specials in any up to gain jump start throw invinc fyi.
Wrong. Hugo also gets OTG'd after a throw and Twelve can do it as well. I don't remember the whole list off hand, though.

Are "actually from the community" people hating on prog or just some reddit trolls? Because why would ANYONE hate on prog?!

reddit trolls+random twitter dudes

and of course, as a result r/smashbros is going through its weekly requirement of self-hate circlejerking as a result

I took a year of Japanese. Really fun language go learn.
Well it works out because we are planning a family trip next year to Japan.

I disagree it is infuriating to learn.

Yep! I don't know what a good tool/resource for an old guy like me to learn so I can navigate the country.

I like Prog. Made Smash easier to understand and gave good bio of the players while the match was going on. I hope he is feeling better these days. Wasn't aware of his health issues.

People gonna be really fed up when Wizard announces that I'm commentating top 8 of Marvel and SF

Can confirm that Japanese is hard to learn

Japanese is super easy to learn to speak but super hard to learn to read. Just different because it doesn't have common roots like say, Spanish.

Except kimono, which comes from Greek.

Dahbomb

My daughter is watching Pokemon and now wants to learn Japanese. What happened?
What happened is that she has now taken her first gateway drug into the word of ANIME.

This is how it starts. Pokemons, DBZ, Sailor Moon... then wanting to learn Japanese, then the REAL anime/manga and then anime pillows and waifu/husbandos.

I just don't want to talk like a Japanese Borat.

How do I get into the SF5 beta? I just preorder at Amazon or something? Dahbomb told me not to preorder.

Not funny Dahbomb. Words hurt, take it back.

Onemic

Japanese would be pretty cool to learn if I had any practical use for learning it. Like if there were tons of job opportunities there for programmers or something

Nyoro SF

The problem with Japanese compared to other Latin languages is that you can't brute force learn it by reading since the alphabet isn't shared. Miss one kanji and everything falls apart and then you can't really learn what the sentence is going for. If you use an online kanji transcriber you get into the habit of using it too much and kanji doesn't stick in the brain easily.

As always, the best way to learn a language is to have a native speaker tough it out with you. I'm sure I would drive a native Japanese speaker to heavy levels of frustration though. :)

I follow JP players on twitter to get an idea of how people like to structure their sentences. But ultimately since languages are so large and complicated you just have to accept you're going to be making lots of mistakes for a very long time no matter how well you study.

BakedYams

Slayer of Combofiends

I don't understand how the fuck someone who's put so much work into the community can be hated... I see them as the real cancer of any community. Instead of slandering someone's name cause you want someone else to commentate is not the way to go. Sometimes I don't enjoy Persia's community but I deal with it, not even trying to insult her, maybe critique her commentary and that's as far as it goes. Real sad to see Prog step down cause people voiced their opinions in a negative manner and not wishing him the best with his health. Met the dude at APEX this year and I could tell he struggles to move around and keep a grin on his face.

My daughter is watching Pokemon and now wants to learn Japanese. What happened?

That's how we all start out.

Languages are the one thing I've never been able to learn. Took a year of Spanish, two years of French, three years of German, and I'm just terrible. Barely passed German with a C. The complete lack of logical structure makes it too hard for me to grasp. Especially stuff like gendered nouns. Why is a computer a girl in French?! :-/

Same thing in spanish sadly. I preferably speak street spanish to avoid hurting my brain over it. English is luckily one of those languages you can logically break down and not have to question it all too often.

Languages are the one thing I've never been able to learn. Took a year of Spanish, two years of French, three years of German, and I'm just terrible. Barely passed German with a C. The complete lack of logical structure makes it too hard for me to grasp. Especially stuff like gendered nouns. Why is a computer a girl in French?! :-/

Edit: Oh yeah, and Prog is an S tier commentator. I rank him up with Seth Killian. He needs to be at Evo; no one else can do Smash justice.

I just don't want to talk like a Japanese Borat.

How do I get into the SF5 beta? I just preorder at Amazon or something? Dahbomb told me not to preorder.

Not funny Dahbomb. Words hurt, take it back.
I started with Sailor Moon. Now I have an anime collection. It just goes that way, man.

Look at how lost these martians are when coming across a computer. Only a girl could elicit such a reaction.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vh3tuL_DVsE
See, if you were my French teacher, I might have gotten it.

Same thing in spanish sadly. I preferably speak street spanish to avoid hurting my brain over it. English is luckily one of those languages you can logically break down and not have to question it all too often.
I disagree about English; we just put more effort into it. All kinds of random stuff, especially with pronunciation. Check out the emphasis on:

Photograph
Photographic
Photographer

Why is each one completely different? :-(

Plus, weird stuff like "colonel".

Many forms of our conjugation follow no pattern; "to be"

I am
You are
He is
They are

Our conjugations are even more random than most European languages. Sometimes we don't conjugate at all!

BakedYams

Slayer of Combofiends
You can say nani baka with your friends outside irl and you'll be a winner

Urusai

I disagree about English; we just put more effort into it. All kinds of random stuff, especially with pronunciation. Check out the emphasis on:

Photograph
Photographic
Photographer

Why is each one completely different? :-(

Plus, weird stuff like "colonel".

Many forms of our conjugation follow no pattern; "to be"

I am
You are
He is
They are

Our conjugations are even more random than most European languages. Sometimes we don't conjugate at all!

This is why I never did well in English lol.

Lets talk about something else like proximity blocking in SF5. I am getting upset.

I just remember mashing jab and medium punch with gief to lock movement in vanilla. Wasn't sure why that was happening until I read about it.

Mina, yammete kurasai. Nihongo dai-kirai.

Top Bottom