• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Games Weekly | June 22-28 | Ryu's in Smash 4, Jigglypuff's in SF5

Onemic

You underestimate how fucking dead USF4 on PC is right now.

USF4 PC has 1100 people online on average. 3S on fightcade has around 50.

I find matches within seconds using the ranked search during training mode. recently tho I pretty much only play gaffers.

K.Sabot

USF4 PC has 1100 people online on average. 3S on fightcade has around 50.

I find matches within seconds using the ranked search during training mode. recently tho I pretty much only play gaffers.

of those 1100 people

- people who aren't actually playing online
- different region
- the people in private lobbies (aka not in the actual player pool)

= I waited 30 minutes for a ranked match, got one and quit.

of those 1100 people

- different region

I got 4-5 matches in 30 minutes the other night. Probably just your region.

Onemic

of those 1100 people

- different region

you can body me if you want

Nah, and that is cool. I just thought I would take a shot I'm the dark. I remember when I was in college, I wanted to take a summer job selling textbooks door to door in the south. My Dad said "Do you really think you are likeable enough for people to want to buy things from you?" That ended that idea. I am just not good at this kind of thing, and it looks like time has not changed that.

I was really nervous about putting the KS up, and it clearly isn't something that will succeed, and that is okay. Life goes on. I am a bit embarrassed about the whole thing, honestly.

Reddit has a lot of angry weirdos, though...

Nah, and that is cool. I just thought I would take a shot I'm the dark. I remember when I was in college, I wanted to take a summer job selling textbooks door to door in the south. My Dad said "Do you really think you are likeable enough for people to want to buy things from you?" That ended that idea. I am just not good at this kind of thing, and it looks like time has not changed that.

I was really nervous about putting the KS up, and it clearly isn't something that will succeed, and that is okay. Life goes on. I am a bit embarrassed about the whole thing, honestly.

Reddit has a lot of angry weirdos, though...

How many places have you actually posted the KS to? FGW and /r/Kappa clearly aren't the audience that would want this kind of material. That's why somebody suggested trying to hit up Valle or whoever to increase the visibility of the campaign through the power of retweeting or whatever. Ain't nobody gonna find it on their own.

How many places have you actually posted the KS to? FGW and /r/Kappa clearly aren't the audience that would want this kind of material. That's why somebody suggested trying to hit up Valle or whoever to increase the visibility of the campaign through the power of retweeting or whatever. Ain't nobody gonna find it on their own.
I have posted about it on Smashboards, SRK, and GFAQs. My Facebook, my Twitter...I imagine enough people have seen it to know that it isn't going to succeed. I almost posted on Eventhubs, but then I saw the state of their forums. :/

I did tweet Valle and Jchensor. I imagine that it is a combination of people being distrusting, me being relatively unknown, and general disinterest in the project.

I have posted about it on Smashboards, SRK, and GFAQs. My Facebook, my Twitter...I imagine enough people have seen it to know that it isn't going to succeed. I almost posted on Eventhubs, but then I saw the state of their forums. :/

I did tweet Valle and Jchensor. I imagine that it is a combination of people being distrusting, me being relatively unknown, and general disinterest in the project.

Well if your goal is to help newcomers coming to us and kappa isn't exactly the place. Right? Most of us here play FGC or have played in the past, and played at a level above button mashing.

If you want to get those guys (the button mashers, that want to learn) probably should look at more general gaming places, and not place that are already dedicated to fighting games.

Mr. X

You'll need to do it in your free time or write it all out and share as text first then see if ppl would like vids.

Well if your goal is to help newcomers coming to us and kappa isn't exactly the place. Right? Most of us here play FGC or have played in the past, and played at a level above button mashing.

If you want to get those guys (the button mashers, that want to learn) probably should look at more general gaming places, and not place that are already dedicated to fighting games.
I laughed at the "most of us here" part - who are you taking shots at? ;)

Good thought, I was looking at it the wrong way.

You'll need to do it in your free time or write it all out and share as text first then see if ppl would like vids.
Ooph. Trust me, I wanted to. The last few weeks have been me searching for a new place for my wife and I to live. Now we are in the process of moving. The summer has mostly been a waste so far, which upsets me greatly. I haven't even had time to read the four books I wanted to this summer...any of them.

Then, last week my principal calls me and asks if I will be the lead on training all the staff in our district on new software we are using. That will probably take another week of summer, putting all that together. I would be an idiot to say no to that, you know?

Zissou

Kickstarting a tutorial seems very tough to do. Feels like even best-case scenario (well known/liked personality, substantial audience who know about you, generally accepted as more or less an expert on whatever game(s) you'll talk about, etc.) you could have a hard time getting funded. The Guilty Bits guys tried to crowd fund the BB equivalent of their GG series and fell short of their goal by about two-thirds (got to a little over 3K of their 9.5K goal).

Kickstarting a tutorial seems very tough to do. Feels like even best-case scenario (well known/liked personality, substantial audience who know about you, generally accepted as more or less an expert on whatever game(s) you'll talk about, etc.) you could have a hard time getting funded. The Guilty Bits guys tried to crowd fund the BB equivalent of their GG series and fell short of their goal by about two-thirds (got to a little over 3K of their 9.5K goal).
Damn, really?

My wife keeps encouraging me to just buy the laptop and get financing, but I feel so guilty when there is a baby on the way. :/

If I could convince myself that the money could be made back through YouTube ads, I would feel better. But my own channel, in 1,000 views or so, has generated about 10 cents. Lol.

It's r/kappa, don't worry about it. They don't matter, and they never will.
Is it like the /b/ of Reddit?

Not really upset by r/Kappa. I mean...half of those posts (I read them all) are mocking NeoGAF. And if you mock GAF, you ain't shit to me. Anyone who has posted on gaming forums for a good portion of their life knows this place is the best there is, even if it isn't perfect.

Thanks for the kind word, Beef. :)

Kalamari

You should tweet Markman, he makes things happen.

What you're doing is a great idea, Karst, and I think you're well suited for the task. It's something that would benefit new players greatly, so there's no need to feel embarrassed whatsoever.

I laughed at the "most of us here" part - who are you taking shots at? ;)

Good thought, I was looking at it the wrong way.

Ooph. Trust me, I wanted to. The last few weeks have been me searching for a new place for my wife and I to live. Now we are in the process of moving. The summer has mostly been a waste so far, which upsets me greatly. I haven't even had time to read the four books I wanted to this summer...any of them.

Then, last week my principal calls me and asks if I will be the lead on training all the staff in our district on new software we are using. That will probably take another week of summer, putting all that together. I would be an idiot to say no to that, you know?

Myself. I've played fighting games pretty much all my life. But now I rarely touch it.. I just watch for the most part.

bat-signal.jpg

Weird fact: when you make a Kickstarter, all kinds of random marketing agencies PM you to offer their "help" in promoting your campaign.

You should tweet Markman, he makes things happen.

What you're doing is a great idea, Karst, and I think you're well suited for the task. It's something that would benefit new players greatly, so there's no need to feel embarrassed whatsoever.
Thank you. :)

Myself. I've played fighting games pretty much all my life. But now I rarely touch it.. I just watch for the most part.
Ah, I dig. Going to pick it back up when SFV comes about?

Heh. Justin Wong just admitted on stream that he likes Street Fighter IV the least in the series.
Glad people are finally being honest. I can't wait for Daigo to come out.

Tripon

Now that I'm playing Ultra, I remember why part of the reason why I stopped playing after Super. This game makes me so salty and mad at times, and I'm just playing casually.

Weird fact: when you make a Kickstarter, all kinds of random marketing agencies PM you to offer their "help" in promoting your campaign.

Probably yes....

I took a good break before SF4 came out. It was just... chun li 3S and Santhrax MVC2 for a few years. And well Tekken. After a while you get bored. SF4 save the FGC. Praying that SF5 became so successful that they are force to do MVC4.

jerry1594

I think Daigo likes III the least. He pretty much stopped playing because of it.

Now that I'm playing Ultra, I remember why part of the reason why I stopped playing after Super. This game makes me so salty and mad at times, and I'm just playing casually.
I don't really get salty anymore, I just...get bored sometimes.

Probably yes....

I took a good break before SF4 came out. It was just... chun li 3S and Santhrax MVC2 for a few years. And well Tekken. After a while you get bored. SF4 save the FGC. Praying that SF5 became so successful that they are force to do MVC4.
I dig.

MvC4, though? You're dreamin', man. :)

I think Daigo likes III the least. He pretty much stopped playing because of it.
Oh, really? I had no idea. Then again, if he wanted to be Mr. Ryu, I can see why.

4 was pretty fun when it first came out. FADC was new, America learned and adapted to using option select. Then the vortex era, and HK era came and I think that just burned everyone out.

I don't really get salty anymore, I just...get bored sometimes.

I dig.

MvC4, though? You're dreamin', man. :)

Oh, really? I had no idea. Then again, if he wanted to be Mr. Ryu, I can see why.

MVC3 was a dream too.... until SF4 blew the hell up and they had to do the cash grab known as MVC3.

4 was pretty fun when it first came out. FADC was new, America learned and adapted to using option select. Then the vortex era, and HK era came and I think that just burned everyone out.

MVC3 was a dream too.... until SF4 blew the hell up and they had to do the cash grab known as MVC3.
Capcom funded SFIV, though. :p

i think i found my new main

im finding oni infinitely more fun than evil ryu
He's fun until you learn that his fireball frame data is horrendous.

kcxiv

of those 1100 people

- different region

I PLAY online PC everyday from the west coast and no matter what time of the day i never have problems finding matches. It happens in under a minute at any given time. Are there times when its not as fast? sure, but i never went 30 min with only 1 match. thats NEVER happened to me, and i have probably 5,000 matches online. or close to it lol

Beats

Damn, really?
My wife keeps encouraging me to just buy the laptop and get financing, but I feel so guilty when there is a baby on the way. :/

If I could convince myself that the money could be made back through YouTube ads, I would feel better. But my own channel, in 1,000 views or so, has generated about 10 cents. Lol.

What I would try to do:
- Buy laptop, start making a little bit of content and ask here for feedback. Then refine the initial stuff and then start putting them on youtube.
- Once you've got a good amount of videos and if the content is being well received consider starting a Patreon for support.
- Here's an example of someone I give a few dollars to every now and then. They mainly make tutorials on 3D modeling and their videos range from a few hundred to a few thousand views. They put out content somewhat regularly and most of it is pretty decent to good. At the moment he gets around 150 a month from his supporters.

What do you think? Good or Horrible idea? I think it could be an option to consider even if there's a significant initial investment on your part. I think people would be more comfortable donating money towards what you're doing if you already have something to show and if that something is good. I dunno.

Lost Fragment

Obsessed with 4chan
SF5 should have a mode where you have to use credits, bought with RL money, to play random dudes in a 2/3 set. You win, you play the next game for free. You lose, you have to use another credit. Make it exactly like whatever the free-play ranked mode is gonna be like except you have to use these credits to play. And call the points you get something different.

Best idea or worst idea?

Top Bottom