• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Games Weekly | June 22-28 | Ryu's in Smash 4, Jigglypuff's in SF5

alstein

interesting. I was waiting on online function to come in before I buy it so I guess that's good news.

It's beta right now, and ranked match only. So if you're truly waiting, I'd hold off a bit longer- but once it's functional it will be worth it.

Shackzam

Onemic

After P5 comes out@ the end of the year u think they'll make P5A?

I started out with P4A as my first FG I took seriously, but I do not want to see a P5A. P4A and the sequel are just too high in the area of dumb/bullshit for me.

I can see them doing it though, considering P4A sold well. Not sure about the sequel.

Crocodile

The way y'all were talking, I thought a new KOF got revealed and I got a bit hype :/

I do wonder why they aren't using Unreal though. That engine seems to be a real time saver for a lot of JP developers.

I am glad Street Fighter never had any of that.

robert-de-niro-loves-world-cup-soccer-crash-party.gif

Is this another one of those days where everyone realizes that all Japanese fighters are anime games

<3

After P5 comes out@ the end of the year u think they'll make P5A?

I'm mad at Atlus. Persona 3 had a terrible story, terrible dungeons and generally unlikeable characters made up of anime tropes but the gameplay design was so good it mostly made up for it. So instead of running with it and blowing everyone away they made the same game with prettier UI. I played P4 for like 5 hours before quitting.

But then they made Catherine which came out of nowhere and had fantastic gameplay, fantastic storytelling and a higher level of respect for their audience. Complete turn around and the kind of advances I wanted from P4.

And now Persona 5 looks like anime garbage again.

notworksafe

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";169973036]I'm mad at Atlus. Persona 3 had a terrible story, terrible dungeons and generally unlikeable characters made up of anime tropes but the gameplay design was so good it mostly made up for it. So instead of running with it and blowing everyone away they made the same game with prettier UI. I played P4 for like 5 hours before quitting.

But then they made Catherine which came out of nowhere and had fantastic gameplay, fantastic storytelling and a higher level of respect for their audience. Complete turn around and the kind of advances I wanted from P4.

And now Persona 5 looks like anime garbage again.[/QUOTE]

Spoilers: the success of P3&4 means Persona will be anime garbage forever now. Play SMT mainline games instead.

vocab

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";169973036]I'm mad at Atlus. Persona 3 had a terrible story, terrible dungeons and generally unlikeable characters made up of anime tropes but the gameplay design was so good it mostly made up for it. So instead of running with it and blowing everyone away they made the same game with prettier UI. I played P4 for like 5 hours before quitting.

And now Persona 5 looks like anime garbage again.[/QUOTE]

SMT3 was a game where the stars aligned and everything worked perfectly. Atlus will never be able to top that game ever again.

I have a similar experience with p3, and p4. I hate both games personally. Never beat either because well 3 is trash, and 4 just drags/not interesting enough. Though I dont give a shit about social links so I won't praise "good gameplay design". I beat Catherine too.

Hype for p5 is about -3 right now.

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";169974323]It's not like the SMT games are especially magical either.

Give me Catherine 2, Atlus![/QUOTE]
Yeah, SMTIV is one of the worst RPGs I have ever played. I have no idea why it gets so much love. Though I hear III is significantly better.

Producer

Yeah, SMTIV is one of the worst RPGs I have ever played. I have no idea why it gets so much love. Though I hear III is significantly better.

What, SMT 4 is a great game. Nocturne is better but its not exactly a direct comparison, the games have different goals and design.

edit: wow i thought i was in the ceo thread

vocab

Some of your complaints about the game apply to almost every jrpg in some way or another. I think SMTIV's biggest issue is that there is no strategy/Thinking of strategy outside of the fights. It's too easy. Well, at least for me. I have beaten a bunch of these games. The other games have that (SMT3 has a wide array of fights where you can't exploit weaknesses). Calling it the worst though? I don't know about that, but if you feel that way, it's fine. I think there are way worse games. Hell almost ever SE rpg since the PS2 days can be labeled as the worst rpg ever.

The exploration aspect of SMTIV is the worst though. There's areas that are just empty until you find X or get quest X. World map is just in your way more than it should be.

3 is traditional. Better everything really. I'm not sure how you would feel about magatama system.

You spend a bit more time with demons. There's always gonna be fodder in these games. It's just how it works. They only have x amount of skills before they are maxed out on potential. I mean you could technically use a lower level demon for the whole game, but you'd have to put in so much work transferring skills that its just pointless.

How was Golden Sun 2?

The Lost Age? TLA was amazing. Had one dungeon that felt like it was too long/annoying for its own good, but otherwise it was just great. You get to explore a much larger part of Gondowan than in vanilla GS. The DS iteration I know next to nothing about.

What, SMT 4 is a great game. Nocturne is better but its not exactly a direct comparison, the games have different goals and design.

Some of your complaints about the game apply to almost every jrpg in some way or another. I think SMTIV's biggest issue is that there is no strategy/Thinking of strategy outside of the fights. It's too easy. Well, at least for me. I have beaten a bunch of these games. The other games have that (SMT3 has a wide array of fights where you can't exploit weaknesses). Calling it the worst though? I don't know about that, but if you feel that way, it's fine/

The exploration aspect of SMTIV is the worst though. There's areas that are just empty until you find X or get quest X. World map is just in your way more than it should be.

3 is traditional. Better everything really. I'm not sure how you would feel about magatama system.

You spend a bit more time with demons. There's always gonna be fodder in these games. It's just how it works. They only have x amount of skills before they are maxed out on potential.I mean you could technically use a lower level demon for the whole game, but you'd have to put in so much work transferring skills that its just pointless.
Weird truth: demons being fodder bothered me in Devil Survivor and SMTIV, but not P4G. No idea why.

SMTIV had lots of issues:
1) Dull and thoughtless combat system.
2) Zero character development.
3) The worst world map I have seen in many years.
4) Atrocious, cheap art.
5) Extremely easy; easiest RPG I have played after Minotaur. (Hardest setting)
6) Plot...where was it?
7) Not a fan of sacrificing my fav demons for ones that look dumb. I get it is just me, though.
8) Burroughs...awesome on day 1, then repeats a few lines over and over.
9) What a horrible setting. Samurai with computer arms?
10) All of the character designs look bad.

I thought this was going to be the hallmark 3DS RPG when it released. Incredibly disappointed and had to force myself to finish the game. Ending was minimal and unsatisfying.

Devil Survivor is a far better game than this. The combat is interesting and tactical, the characters are more than cardboard, the art...is the same-ish, the game is extemely hard at times, there is actual plot development, and the setting is pretty interesting. Anti-grav boobs may excite or annoy you.

I don't know how SMTIV can get so much praise when there are two superior spin-offs laying next to it.

Has anything topped Golden Sun yet?
Lots of stuff. The game has not aged well. Love the mind read power, though.

I liked Persona 3, but hated the Sickness thing. Let me stay in dungeons for as long as I want without having to worry about lowered stats. Persona 4 fixed things, thankfully, and is my Game of the Generation.

i agree

Beckx

Devil Survivor is such a beast. I am in the long game on that. I beat a chapter, play for a while in the next until I get my ass kicked, then take a break for months.

I love it though. No mercy in that game.

Count me in the P3/P4 fan group. I thought P1 was okay, but I was waaaaay too underleveled for the final boss and have never gone back to finish it.

Catherine is amazing. SMTIV was fun.

Soul Hackers sitting on my 3DS and P2 on my Vita, both just waiting for me to have time.

Persona Q was *fantastic*

vocab

Weird truth: demons being fodder bothered me in Devil Survivor and SMTIV, but not P4G. No idea why.

That's because of the skill whisper system. You get the most useful thing, and there's no reason to carry them anymore. I don't know if ill ever play Devil survivor. It's not my type of game, and I have Strange Journey to play through.

Top Bottom