• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Games Weekly | June 22-28 | Ryu's in Smash 4, Jigglypuff's in SF5

mbpm1

I don't know which one of you is responsible for sending me down the Berserk rabbit hole but dammit...

...I can't stop.

Enjoy it while it lasts, once you catch up you can look forward to the next issue being released in the short time frame of a few decades or so.

Tripon

ryokoW7.jpg

Can't remember the last one I played that was any good. The west sucks at RPGs tbh

I can't remember the last jrpg I really liked unless you count Dragon's Dogma. But I love all the Bethesda games and Dragon Age Inquisition and Mass Effect 2.

Japan has been fucking up for like the last generation so I dunno what to say. What was the last jRPG where the characters had any personality? Certainly not the Persona games.

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";170004953]
Japan has been fucking up for like the last generation so I dunno what to say. What was the last jRPG where the characters had any personality? Certainly not the Persona games.[/QUOTE]

savage

shaowebb

Looks like we may be getting Battle Fantasia on steam soon. Teaser image looks like a filtered image with the HUD from that game.

Enjoy some Ashley combos folks...his heat mode is Godlike.

POO0EHh.jpg

BadWolf

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";170004953]
Japan has been fucking up for like the last generation so I dunno what to say. What was the last jRPG where the characters had any personality? Certainly not the Persona games.[/QUOTE]

Nier had plenty of that.

shaowebb

I'm embarresed I though it was Xrd. ;_;

To be fair who would think that one of their first titles after GG that was done as an experimental title designed to both draw in a female audience and be more accessible to players would get a rerelease when Blaz Blue did far better? For that matter why bring it back when Xrd is the new hotness?

For those curious it has a neat counter system thats easy to do and has three uses that let you do SF3 parries, a wall bounce juggle, or a special stun state and a heat mode thing that lets you chain together stuff you normally can't for a short period. Plus scaling is tweaked on damage based on health so the crazy differences in health stats mean far less than they seem due to the damage output of combos. Makes it easy to style and easy to defend. Still gets pretty tight too. Fun game.

jerry1594

If Urien comes back I think he will messily destroy Bison with one of the 66 secret arts of the illuminati, then later on Gill will come back and destroy Urien, then after that Seth will come back and do something I guess, and after that Bison will come back with two capes this time.

In 2 weeks there is going to be an episode of "Aru's Room" with Tokyo University Graduate Tokido and a Tokyo University Graduate shogi player.

Rhapsody

Banned
Proximity OS for Xrd seems to work in the air now huh... Requires tapping the buttons twice in quick succession to make it work in the air.

fader

speaking of UNIEL. what ever happened to Filia being in UNIEL?

EDIT:

also random FG question:

what do you guys prefer as a fighting game; Weapon Fighters (Guilty Gear, Samurai Showdown, Soul Calibur) or Hand to Hand Fighters (Street Fighter, Tekken, King of Fighters)?

speaking purely as personal aesthetics not favorite title.

EDIT:

also random FG question:

what do you guys prefer as a fighting game; Weapon Fighters (Guilty Gear, Samurai Showdown, Soul Calibur) or Hand to Hand Fighters (Street Fighter, Tekken, King of Fighters)?

I think Filia was just a fan service art piece. I dont think there was a plan to incorporate her.

I like characters with special and supernatural abilities. Neither of the above game types please me. That is why is use Zero in Xrd, and I mess with Blanka and Oni in Street Fighter.

Onemic

EDIT:

also random FG question:

Weapon based, even though I always end up hating them vs hand to hand.

Astarte

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";170004953]I can't remember the last jrpg I really liked unless you count Dragon's Dogma. But I love all the Bethesda games and Dragon Age Inquisition and Mass Effect 2.

If you go towards the lower end of the spectrum in terms of budget then you get better written characters and/or that try to salvage the rest of the game.
Nier and Resonance of Fate are examples of such. I liked Persona 2's characters though...

Shackzam

EDIT:

also random FG question:

Give me the closest fist to fist combat character you can get. Love me some Dudley boxing.

If you go towards the lower end of the spectrum in terms of budget then you get better written characters and/or that try to salvage the rest of the game.
Nier and Resonance of Fate are examples of such. I liked Persona 2's characters though...

Persona 2 EP was helped by not being about a bunch of anime highschoolers.

alstein

Looks like we may be getting Battle Fantasia on steam soon. Teaser image looks like a filtered image with the HUD from that game.

Enjoy some Ashley combos folks...his heat mode is Godlike.

POO0EHh.jpg

I hope you're right. It's the one Arcsys game I like.
Also it's the only FG created by a woman that I know of, (and she's very nice on Twitter!)

also random FG question:

Hand to hand all the way. Think the only game where I play a character that uses a weapon is Yukari in Ultimax.

EDIT:

also random FG question:

Weapons all the way.

Too many to name, IMO. I just don't think the Golden Sun games were that great. 8-bit levels of characterization, random battles, your characters feel weird and incomplete until you get all Djinn, some of the Djinn are STUPID hard to get, and the combat amounts to watching summoning animations most of the time. They aren't bad games, but kind of middling. That the first one was so short left a sour taste in my mouth. Still at the start of the second one. :/

Even objectively bad games like Black Sigil are better.

twitch

twitch

twitch

Proximity OS for Xrd seems to work in the air now huh... Requires tapping the buttons twice in quick succession to make it work in the air.

Millia Pin proxy OS is going to be the dumbest fucking thing ever.

D:

Oh, fuck no.

I like both, as well as sorcerer-type things like Zato-1 and Hilda. It's more about the overall vibe of the game's aesthetic than how they beat each other up.

The main things I don't really like are modern Soul Caliburs fucking up the game's fantasy swordfighting aesthetic something fierce, atrocious custom costumes, SFxT, Mortal Klunk: Unweighted Animation Edition, and the dull blandness that is modern Tekken. A game has to have direction, and Tekken doesn't have any aesthetically.

Top Bottom