• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Games Weekly | June 22-28 | Ryu's in Smash 4, Jigglypuff's in SF5

Essay

also random FG question:

what do you guys prefer as a fighting game; Weapon Fighters (Guilty Gear, Samurai Showdown, Soul Calibur) or Hand to Hand Fighters (Street Fighter, Tekken, King of Fighters)?

speaking purely as personal aesthetics not favorite title.

Just aesthetically? Hand to hand
...says the guy who mained Claw in every SF game he appeared in

I think having a varied world culture, even stereotypically portrayed, is my favorite aesthetic in a fighting game. Street Fighter has it, Soulcalibur and Tekken used to have it. I like that more than just weapons or no weapons. Fireballs aren't hand to hand, breh. I'll take games with multiple meaningful fighting ranges over games that don't have them.

Street Fighter/Soulcalibur/etc > Tekken/Virtua Fighter/DOA, IMO.

Anne

I haven't been seriously into competitive fighting games for 2-3 months cause things. I got back into some stuff this week and a lot of the things I thought were coming have started to show.

But unfortunately I am now ass. Luckily that's pretty fixable.

kirblar

I think having a varied world culture, even stereotypically portrayed, is my favorite aesthetic in a fighting game. Street Fighter has it, Soulcalibur and Tekken used to have it. I like that more than just weapons or no weapons. Fireballs aren't hand to hand, breh. I'll take games with multiple meaningful fighting ranges over games that don't have them.

The exaggerated stereotypes are why SF's character designs are so memorable compared to KOF's.

wat

Lizardmen, golems, gimps and zombie pirates are more culturally representative than the series made by Yu Suzuki traveling around the world watching martial artists?

Your comparison reads basically that you like wacky cartoon characters more than humans with some nonsense justification. "I like blitzball more than hockey because it's more racially diverse."

Degen

Weird post, even weirder list of favorites with the given information

fader

of course fireballs are not hand to hand but you're missing the point. Street Fighter, KOF, Tekken although they have special skills and powers a majority of the cast's theme can stem from martial artist with powers (hence hand to hand). Guilty Gear and Samurai Showdown most of the characters uses weapons. I was only asking if a cast that uses hand to hand martial arts appeal to you or a cast that uses weaponry martial arts.

also that comparison at the bottom is a head scrather.

Weird post, even weirder list of favorites with the given information

of course fireballs are not hand to hand but you're missing the point. Street Fighter, KOF, Tekken although they have special skills and powers a majority of the cast's theme can stem from martial artist with powers (hence hand to hand). Guilty Gear and Samurai Showdown most of the characters uses weapons. I was only asking if a cast that uses hand to hand martial arts appeal to you or a cast that uses weaponry martial arts.

also that comparison at the bottom is a head scrather.
Combination of world cultures (aka no Arc Systems) and combat at multiple distances (no phone booth fighters). "Weapons" are an unimportant distinction to me.

fader

Combination of world cultures (aka no Arc Systems) and combat at multiple distances (no phone booth fighters). "Weapons" are an unimportant distinction to me.

then that's an entirely different discussion that just derails this one. Also I will argue that Tekken and Virtua Fighter instills other world cultures more than soul calibur which is Japanese to the T.

then that's an entirely different discussion that just derails this one. Also I will argue that Tekken and Virtua Fighter instills other world cultures more than soul calibur which is Japanese to the T.
Phone booth fighters don't interest me anymore.

Guilty Gear has world warriors.
Americans, British, Japanese, Russians, etc.
Doesn't come across strongly enough in the designs, I suppose.

Degen

Your post had me confused because I thought it was related to the list that came after it

Nothing against your opinion, but every fighter is a "phone booth fighter" to some extent if I understand your definition

What you probably don't like is that games like Tekken and Guilty Gear have an overwhelming amount of information being thrown at you at every second, which is a very fair complaint IMO

fader

could you define phone booth fighter please?

423.gif

could you define phone booth fighter please?
Fighting games where the action happens almost entirely on the ground and face to face, ie two people in a phone booth. There can be movement in ranges outside of that space but it's just a precursor to getting back inside of very close range. Soulcalibur, despite mostly lacking projectiles and vertical gameplay, still has more distinct range play than Tekken and VF. Tekken and VF used to be my favorite fighters but they bore me now.

Seth was right.

What you probably don't like is that games like Tekken and Guilty Gear have an overwhelming amount of information being thrown at you at every second, which is a very fair complaint IMO
It has nothing to do with being overwhelmed. I don't like Tekken's gameplay. I don't like GG's aesthetics.

oneida

Cock Strain, Lifetime Warranty
Fighting games where the action happens almost entirely on the ground and face to face, ie two people in a phone booth. There can be movement in ranges outside of that space but it's just a precursor to getting back inside of very close range. Soulcalibur, despite mostly lacking projectiles and vertical gameplay, still has more distinct range play than Tekken and VF. Tekken and VF used to be my favorite fighters but they bore me now.

Seth was right.
VF plays with space in really interesting ways actually, while it doesn't emphasize zoning in a traditional sense (although range and whiff punishing are very important), positioning is incredibly important. A move that's not so scary in the middle of the ring can end the match at the wall. it sounds like your opinion of the game is pretty limited, no offense. If it doesn't have a significant long range game, it bores you? IMO doken pressure is the least interesting thing about SF.

fader

VF plays with space in really interesting ways actually, while it doesn't emphasize zoning in a traditional sense (although range and whiff punishing are very important), positioning is incredibly important. A move that's not so scary in the middle of the ring can end the match at the wall. it sounds like your opinion of the game is pretty limited, no offense. If it doesn't have a significant long range game, it bores you? IMO doken pressure is the least interesting thing about SF.

whats doken pressure?

Nyoro SF

Bad VF memories from the past are returning to haunt me lol

Skilletor

Don't see why that's odd. The best thing about SF is the varied distance and play styles. It's not like a move being better near a wall is exclusive to Vf. That's going to happen in any game with boundaries.

Space control in SF is great because of the ways you can control it.

oneida

Don't see why that's odd. The best thing about SF is the varied distance and play styles. It's not like a move being better near a wall is exclusive to Vf. That's going to happen in any game with boundaries.

you're right, and I won't claim VF handles the X or Y axis better than SF because it doesn't.

Yes, actually. It has nothing to do with my level of understanding about franchises I played for nearly two decades. Sometimes people like different things. Sometimes their preferences change. If you prefer phone booth fighting as I did for many years, more power to you. Likewise, I wouldn't enjoy a game that was too heavily slanted towards long range combat.

Correct.

oneida

Yes, actually. It has nothing to do with my level of understanding about franchises I played for nearly two decades. Sometimes people like different things. Sometimes their preferences change. If you prefer phone booth fighting as I did for many years, more power to you. Likewise, I wouldn't enjoy a game that was too heavily slanted towards long range combat.
That's cool man. I'm not sold on the term but I know what you mean.

Skilletor

you're right, and I won't claim VF handles the X or Y axis better than SF because it doesn't.

And that's fine. I love Vf. But all of the fighting in that and Tekken generally takes place in the same space.

I personally love fireballs. I don't typically use characters with projectiles, but I live fighting against them. I'm SoulCalibur, I love how characters like astaroth nightmare, siegfreid can control an are different from Taki, sophitia, or xianghua. That's why I love those games so much.

Not to take anything away from Vf, I think it's amazing, but I totally get what thespian is saying.

I'm reminded of Kim1234's explanation of why he picked bison as a main. He stated when you're point blank or "phone book range" in front of your opponent in SF4 it tends to be too random, so he wanted to be a character that could attack from a range.

Range play in 2D fighting games doesn't exist as some sort of added supplement to everything else. Range play exists because
there isn't an ordered means of interaction between 2 characters in 2D fighting games otherwise.

A move being better near a wall isn't exclusive to 3d fighters, but corner control is more than "prevent your opponent from jumping out"

ShinMaruku

DOA is best with wall game. My main characters are so much more dangerous with a wall there. They can kill you in 3 hits with a wall. :E

oneida

A move being better near a wall isn't exclusive to 3d fighters
Sure, but VF has had wall throws since 1996, breakable walls that become ring out opportunities since VF4, moves that only exist at the wall, wall staggers, and more walls than a 2D fighter has corners.

Shouta

VF's space control is pretty different than SF because of the Z axis and the way moves interact with each other. Purely on X and Y, VF and SF are pretty similar but as a total package, VF is pretty nuts despite not having what's considered a long range in other games with projectiles. The only other game that has similar Z axis play is Soul Calibur though that's gotten worse with recent iterations.

Walls, or the cornered situation, are by far the most dangerous in VF compared to any other game. Most can characters can kill their opponent with 2ish combos with the right hit, 3-4 if it's un-optimized. In addition, it's one of the few games that still has ring outs which adds another level of danger with that position.

VF's space control is pretty different than SF because of the Z axis and the way moves interact with each other. Purely on X and Y, VF and SF are pretty similar but as a total package, VF is pretty nuts despite not having what's considered a long range in other games with projectiles. The only other game that has similar Z axis play is Soul Calibur though that's gotten worse with recent iterations.
I've grown to find the Y axis to be more interesting than Z because there are more meaningful applications for Y axis combat than Z axis (angle, time in air, etc). Anti-step gameplay is a ton of fun. I'd love a new IP to come out that had legit X, Y, and Z gameplay though.

Walls, or the cornered situation, are by far the most dangerous in VF compared to any other game. Most can characters can kill their opponent with 2ish combos with the right hit, 3-4 if it's un-optimized. In addition, it's one of the few games that still has ring outs which adds another level of danger with that position.
Ring outs are one of my favorite aspects of VF and SC.

was it art of fighting that had ring outs?
One of the Fatal Fury games had it IIRC.

Top Bottom