• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Games Weekly | June 22-28 | Ryu's in Smash 4, Jigglypuff's in SF5

Sayah

Fighting games where the action happens almost entirely on the ground and face to face, ie two people in a phone booth. There can be movement in ranges outside of that space but it's just a precursor to getting back inside of very close range. Soulcalibur, despite mostly lacking projectiles and vertical gameplay, still has more distinct range play than Tekken and VF. Tekken and VF used to be my favorite fighters but they bore me now.

Seth was right.

It's all up to preference. While I don't have a lot of experience with VF, I can tell Tekken provides a lot of intense pressure because it's so up close and personal. The mind games are also far more interesting when you have a high-mid-low range instead of just a high-low range.

While I enjoy range games like MvC3 and SFIV a lot, I don't prefer them over the "phone booth" experience (as you term it) because these games often turn into "camping" experiences where the opponent sticks on a side of the stage and mashes incessantly on the same projectiles (e.g. hidden missile, soul fist combinations, Sagat's tiger shots, etc.). While there are ways to overcome these issues through strategic play, it can become really frustrating and annoying at times.

Shouta

I've grown to find the Y axis to be more interesting than Z because there are more meaningful applications for Y axis combat than Z axis (angle, time in air, etc). Anti-step gameplay is a ton of fun. I'd love a new IP to come out that had legit X, Y, and Z gameplay though.

Ring outs are one of my favorite aspects of VF and SC.

One of the Fatal Fury games had it IIRC.

Z-Axis isn't a main axis that you can exploit for gameplay very well, at least in the fighting game genre. The games that get closest are VF and the early Soul Caliburs. The Z-axis was too strong in SC that it got nerfed repeatedly, lol

Anti-step gameplay isn't the only application of Z-axis though, proper movement options that use the Z-Axis is another example that later VF uses, like El Blaze's Tiger Step

Z-Axis isn't a main axis that you can exploit for gameplay very well, at least in the fighting game genre. The games that get closest are VF and the early Soul Caliburs. The Z-axis was too strong in SC that it got nerfed repeatedly, lol

Anti-step gameplay isn't the only application of Z-axis though, proper movement options that use the Z-Axis is another example that later VF uses, like El Blaze's Tiger Step
I agree with the bolded. While I'm with you that Z-axis movement can be interesting, interaction between characters is ultimately the name of the game. Side and back hits and the interplay between half circular front, back, full circular, and linear attacks versus evades are the most interesting parts of Z-axis gameplay. For the record, I think VF does Z-axis interaction best because feels more digital than analog. Namco's handling of Z-axis interactions are far more situational and are harder to consistently apply.

Give everyone a projectile that has extremely long start up, is active for an eternity, and covers the entire screen.

kirblar

Agree w/ the SC praise- it does things that are radically different with spacing and ranges that aren't just "2D+". I really hope they can go into the lab and come out with something big this generation.

Shouta

Agree w/ the SC praise- it does things that are radically different with spacing and ranges that aren't just "2D+". I really hope they can go into the lab and come out with something big this generation.

Well, if they can go back to SC2 and then learn how to balance the Z-axis gameplay rather than just nerfing it, that would be really awesome for SC. Unfortunately, it's gotten more 2D+ with each iteration.

Well, if they can go back to SC2 and then learn how to balance the Z-axis gameplay rather than just nerfing it, that would be really awesome for SC. Unfortunately, it's gotten more 2D+ with each iteration.

All they had to do there was make horizontals better maybe remove the StepG glitch

Not a believer either but I would actually be happy with that list. Although having 3 shoto's as part of the initial roster does go against what Combo just said about clone characters. But their is no reason to believe that Combo is being completely honest either.

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
Lucia (NEW): Dive kick character from Final Fight. reveal in October around GDC China and Brazil Game Show time

This right here makes me disregard that list. No one wants a super obscure final fight character, heck Maki is more popular than her and would make some sense.
Well, that description kind of fits Birdie aswell.

Lucia (NEW): Dive kick character from Final Fight. reveal in October around GDC China and Brazil Game Show time

This right here makes me disregard that list. No one wants a super obscure final fight character, heck Maki is more popular than her and would make some sense.

How many people wanted Birdie

Birdie was already established in the alpha series, where there were 3 iterations of the character. Not saying he was heavily wanted, but he's been a part of SF before. The other characters not in SF series were heavily requested to be in (Poison). Ain't no one requesting Lucia be in SF5 (let alone she was only in FF3, and maybe FF revenge?).. If they wanted to add a sort of favorite add Haggar or Maki.

kirblar

Definitely wouldn't be surprised by a Maki reveal - I'm kinda expecting a Final Fight rep after that weird-ass Haggar/Guy/Cody poster in the UK stage.

VariantX

No one would have believed Birdie either, yet here we are...

Thores

Birdie was already established in the alpha series, where there were 3 iterations of the character. Not saying he was heavily wanted, but he's been a part of SF before. The other characters not in SF series were heavily requested to be in (Poison). Ain't no one requesting Lucia be in SF5 (let alone she was only in FF3, and maybe FF revenge?).. If they wanted to add a sort of favorite add Haggar or Maki.

During E3, someone at Capcom mentioned that in addition to fan-favorites, they're also going out of their way to add characters that nobody wanted or expected. Hence Birdie. Something as left field as a FF3 character I didn't know existed would absolutely fit that profile as well.

That said, I highly doubt this leak is even close to real. Three Brits in the launch roster is enough to make it too ridiculous.

hitsugi

but Onemic, that roster looks so boring though. Besides Karen and Alex who matters?

Karin and Alex matter enough for the rest to not matter so much...

and Urien.. and Eagle (would rather see someone else from SF1 though).

Dhalsim, Juri, Sakura, Guile, and Vega can all go home though. Ken and Akuma don't make much sense with the whole "clones" remark from earlier. But they do make sense with popularity votes, I'm sure.

Akira? Wildcard enough to say it's bogus but who knows D:

fader

I like that list because it says r mika doesn't have a chance

no one in their right mind would bring back that character.

Karin and Alex matter enough for the rest to not matter so much...

and Urien.. and Eagle (would rather see someone else from SF1 though).

Dhalsim, Juri, Sakura, Guile, and Vega can all go home though. Ken and Akuma don't make much sense with the whole "clones" remark from earlier. But they do make sense with popularity votes, I'm sure.

Akira? Wildcard enough to say it's bogus but who knows D:

oh yea Urien and Eagle are ok I guess... although I expect Urien to be in.

Usual suspects are usual suspects

and Akira is so left field that i can only see a vocal minority liking her

Well, that description kind of fits Birdie aswell.
No one would have believed Birdie either, yet here we are...
I would say that Birdie is a tier higher in popularity than Lucia. Birdie is one of the original SF1 characters, and was in every single Street Fighter Alpha game. Lucia was just in Final Fight 3, which wasn't even a super popular game to begin with.

me, although i admit that i'm probably in the minority. Birdie was my secondary after Charlie in SFA2.

Kalamari

Attack range variety sounds more like a subjective preference rather than something that would make a game bad. Much like not wanting to play a game because no character interests you.

ibrahima

Banned
Leak seems to be making the assumption we'll see more than one or two characters in the beta. I would be suprised if we get the E3 characters, let alone what's being mentioned in the leak.

Last time Capcom did one was for HDR, didn't that only have Ryu and Ken? You'd figure a beta is there to test particular elements of the game (new online code for example) rather than just being a chance for everyone to dip in and go ham with half the cast

I think we might need to lower our expectations a little about what we're getting in the beta before some people get ahead of themselves.

kirblar

Leak seems to be making the assumption we'll see more than one or two characters in the beta, I wouldn't be suprised if we only get the E3 characters and that's it.

Last time Capcom did one was for HDR, didn't that only have Ryu and Ken? You'd figure a beta is there to test particular elements of the game (new online code for example) rather than just being a chance for everyone to dip in and go ham with half the cast

I think we might need to lower our expectations a little about what we're getting in the beta before some people get ahead of themselves.
This beta is going to be very time-limited, I'm expecting 8 characters (6 + 2 more at SDCC) w/ no newbies yet.

DRE Fei

Attack range variety sounds more like a subjective preference rather than something that would make a game bad. Much like not wanting to play a game because no character interests you.

I agree with this. I could never get into dota 2 because none of the characters interest me, but I love league of legends.

Top Bottom