• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Games Weekly | June 22-28 | Ryu's in Smash 4, Jigglypuff's in SF5

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Has it been confirmed yet if PS3 sticks will work with SF5? I want to preorder it to play the beta on my friend's PS4, but not if I'll also have to buy PS4 fightsticks this early.

shaowebb

Imma main Birdie and chuck bananas at Count.
And when he gets mad at me I'll say don't blame me blame Ono's racist ass.

Capcoms next black character revealed:

hqdefault.jpg

First thing that came to mind mentioning Capcom and racist shit in SF...
D4eWlle.jpg

Set the tone I guess. :kappa:

ShinMaruku

They did make Dudley so I think Capcom just has unfortunate implications. I mean they made Josh in RE5. Then you had the jungle place where the area of Africa the game is based in is NOT where you find those jungle people.

Not wanting it is selfish. Options are good for everyone - I like options.

Easy proof that it is faster than a double tap:
1) Push forward on your stick twice.
2) Push forward on your stick once while pushing two buttons simultaneously.

The second one is faster. It's just simple logic. One button twice MUST take more time than three buttons pushed together on a stick. Imagine if Blanka could do electricity by pushing 5 attack buttons together simultaneously. Wouldn't that logically be faster than pianoing 5 buttons in a row? It's an extrapolation of that principle.

You're still in the Marvel mindset when talking about 2 button dash. There's no canceling dashes in Street Fighter, you have to commit to it. In that context, 2 button dash wouldn't be any faster than double tapping except for an instance where a character has an extremely quick dash. You can cancel a dash in Marvel just by sneezing so of course a 2 button dash would be quicker than double tapping there, not to mention all of the options you have at any given instance during said dash. Street Fighter doesn't have that style of gameplay and is naturally slower, so 2 button dash isn't needed since, again, it wouldn't be any faster than double tapping.

You're still in the Marvel mindset when talking about 2 button dash. There's no canceling dashes in Street Fighter, you have to commit to it. In that context, 2 button dash wouldn't be any faster than double tapping except for an instance where a character has an extremely quick dash. You can cancel a dash in Marvel just by sneezing so of course a 2 button dash would be quicker than double tapping there, not to mention all of the options you have at any given instance during said dash. Street Fighter doesn't have that style of gameplay and is naturally slower, so 2 button dash isn't needed since, again, it wouldn't be any faster than double tapping.
It is still faster. Just think about the necessary physical motions:

1) Have the urge to dash.
2) Tap once.
3) Tap twice.
4) Dash.

vs.

1) Have the urge to dash.
2) Simultaneously press forward + two buttons.
3) Dash.

It's still one step less.

I'm not coming from a Marvel mindset. I play a lot of fighting games, man. I wish I could two-button dash in SFIV and Xrd, too. I loathe IADing in Xrd. Hell, part of the reason I play Blanka is because he doesn't ever dash, lol. :)

Not this shit again.

Also, SFV supers are double motion + 1 button
I guess SFV doesn't really have other options, since one motion + two buttons = EX version.

As long as we don't have to deal with any wacko inputs like Blanka's Ultra...2? We're good.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
First thing that came to mind mentioning Capcom and racist shit in SF...
D4eWlle.jpg

Set the tone I guess.
This isn't super indicative of anything, and Birdie's punk image subverts race stereotypes WAY more than it supports them. Birdie also a weird case because they changed his skin colour up (IIRC?).

I still think Dee Jay is one of the worst as far as race representations go. Islander with a shit-eating grin and dancing around to da riddim everywhere. His VAs never help.

Thulius

It's about getting into the dash, not coming out of it. With a double tap dash, the fastest you can possibly go from neutral to dashing is 3 frames, and that's assuming a perfect input. With a button dash, that becomes 1 frame. It's not really a statement that can be argued.

I don't care either way but it's weird how the only games that seem to embrace button dashes also have overlapping pushblock inputs.

BakedYams

Slayer of Combofiends
I thought Dudley was black... WHAT IS REAL ANYMORE?!

Its that time again...
mFknDRm.jpg

Phoenix Wright's Turnabout mode. Gets you blood pumping and you feel like you have a lot of power in your hands.

Kohime Enbu got announced for PS3/PS4
CIGy_OPVEAAtLyZ.jpg:large

Time to go full blown anime.

Flapjacks?

Translation:

Its the booty game. Cammy got hers, Juri's gonna get that treatment too.

101069-45380-santamu.jpg

enough melanin for me

Please put her in the game. Please.

Can't we get a better dark-skinned woman in the game than that? We don't need two characters dressed like Cammy in a 16-character roster. Might as well start calling them C-16 and C-12.

Tik-Tok

The common consensus is that Dudley is Indian.

I think the fact tht Dudley doesn't have any ridiculous stereo typical black features and every other black character does is implication that he's not intended to be black

joe2187

Banned
Can't we get a better dark-skinned woman in the game than that? We don't need two characters dressed like Cammy in a 16-character roster. Might as well start calling them C-16 and C-12.

Elena is in the game?

but I think Sakuras ganguro alt is darker than her.

Elena is in the game?

but I think Sakuras ganguro alt is darker than her.
I'm talking about SFV; I'm not sure what your first sentence is really asking. Elena could be cool, but it would (theoretically) be even better if some fresh blood were added. I'm not sure Elena's moveset fits well with SFV.

Horseress

Dudley is a British black man, don't know why you guys are arguing so much about it. Just like Blanka looks like a regular Brazilian! I look just like him

NEO0MJ

that would be interesting if he was't based of a BLACK British Boxer

Didn't know he was based on a real person.

Translation:

Its the booty game. Cammy got hers, Juri's gonna get that treatment too.

People are too obsessed with booty these days. They need to bring back Rose to balance things out.

I always wondered why they switched Deejay with Balrog's roles in the movie. Were they told that all americans had to be good?

Dudley is a British black man, don't know why you guys are arguing so much about it. Just like Blanka looks like a regular Brazilian! I look just like him

I didn't know horses could come in green.

Perro

DJ was created by Capcom USA. For some reason I think that's even worse lol.
be a dark skinned character in a fighting game brehs

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
I thought Dudley was pakistani? I don't know where the source of that even is.

Kind of relevant to the discussion at hand: I think many people missed a lot of the SFV interviews over the past week, which had some stuff of note (and perhaps not useful when put together):

This one with Matt Dahlgren has him saying:
"I think Birdie really sets the tone for the direction that we're headed with the roster. I don't think anyone really saw that character coming, he wasn't necessarily highly requested by the fans, but we still want to surprise people."

This one with Capcom Europe's Community Manager says they've paid a lot of attention to fan feedback when it comes to who makes it in, and they'll have whole roster out by Spring 2016.

There's another I'm looking for now where Matt Dahlgren talked about the research the devs did for the stages to ensure the authenticity of global representations (lol) but I can't find it ATM.

Azure J

DJ was created by Capcom USA. For some reason I think that's even worse lol.
be a dark skinned character in a fighting game brehs

The struggle is real looking for good looking dark skin characters in anything video games breh.

I mean I got the Inklings and I'll claim Impa, that's good enough right? /s

I realize this probably speaks more to my naievete about gaming due to little experience with a bunch of stuff.

ShinMaruku

Of course it's worse that Capcom USA made DJ but America has unfortunate implications of black people.

Keep in mind the dude they based Dudley off had the Dandy persona with the top hat and monocle. :p

joe2187

Banned
Of course it's worse that Capcom USA made DJ but America has unfortunate implications of black people.

Keep in mind the dude they based Dudley off had the Dandy persona with the top hat and monocle. :p

I dont think Japanese interpretations of ethnic characters are any better.

Whoever came up with el fuerte needs to be shot

ShinMaruku

I dont think Japanese interpretations of ethnic characters are any better.

Whoever came up with el fuerte needs to be shot

I think both are shit. But the US should know better, but it's America where if I pick up a gun in a store the cops will shoot me, so I'm no surprised at either. Both countries are shit at it.

He's based of a Black Boxer in the UK. People sometimes misidentify him as Indian.

I didn't know black was a nationality. He's a black guy from British India whose personality is based on a boxer. He doesn't have "black" stereotypes the way other characters do because he's a stereotype of a colonial British aristocrat.

Tripon

The struggle is real looking for good looking dark skin characters in anything video games breh.

I mean I got the Inklings and I'll claim Impa, that's good enough right? /s

I realize this probably speaks more to my naievete about gaming due to little experience with a bunch of stuff.
People just needs more Kushood Butt!

Top Bottom