• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Games Weekly | June 22-28 | Ryu's in Smash 4, Jigglypuff's in SF5

You mean that isn't already in SF4?

latest

Shhhh. I use Golden Sim so its harder to see the EX.

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";169414388]I play fighting games with the sound off.[/QUOTE]

Don't mute me bro.

No FADC/way to make reversals safe makes it automatically better for me. I also hope the overall high damage/stun stays, even if that might get tweaked at some point.

They really need to fix that auto-correct shit though, make it so you actually have to do the motion the other way if you want to dp as they try to cross up.

Horseress

It's actually fun to hear people of 4 complain about 5. The cycle of grumpy players from previous games continue.

I can't wait to hear "SF5 is so scrubby, I didn't need a buffer to help me complete links"

Yep, can't run away from it, inevitable

That's piss stained if you drink tons of water. SF5's piss stained are, like, dehydrated piss stains.

it's still piss tho

It's cool. I know lots of people not on the hype train. That this is taking out pretty much everything I hate about SF4 is enough to get me excited.

Same here

alstein

SFxT combos are pretty boring IMNSHO.

Combos never make a game interesting- they always end up boring to watch once they stop being new.

I doubt we see true TOD in SF5. Scaling is different now. (not counting infinites as TODs here though technically they are)
I do think we'll see 75% combos with full resources.

Skilletor

I missed most of E3. What should I be excited about?

Saw the Cammy/Birdie reveals, meh.

You missed:

Cammy vs. Bison
Cammy vs. Nash
Nash vs. Birdie
Birdie vs. Cammy
Cammy vs. Birdie
Birdie vs. Birdie
Cammy vs. Cammy
Birdie vs. Birdie
Birdie
Birdie
Birdie
Birdie
Cammy
somebody chose Chun once, but it was a mistake and they just went back to the character select screen.

It's cool. I know lots of people not on the hype train. That this is taking out pretty much everything I hate about SF4 is enough to get me excited.

Ever since the first reveal when they had OTG's and shit.. it just looked off to me.

Then I forgot Capcom Japan thinks niggas are hilarious so they made Birdie scratch his ass and have to pull up his pants while walking.

I mean.. really niggas
kttcoliaicmon

Also, why is this dude Nash's hand the size of a planet b

Bison just looks.. weird.

ShinMaruku

The removal of FADC made me golden on sf5. Now give me Juri without flapjacks and I am FUCKING SOLD!

Count that's what you get for supporting DJ. :p

Tripon

You missed:

Cammy vs. Bison
Cammy vs. Nash
Nash vs. Birdie
Birdie vs. Cammy
Cammy vs. Birdie
Birdie vs. Birdie
Cammy vs. Cammy
Birdie vs. Birdie
Birdie
Birdie
Birdie
Birdie
Cammy
somebody chose Chun once, but it was a mistake and they just went back to the character select screen.
I admit, I wanted to see Chun Li more to see the glitch and how many times the commentators would ignore it. Still, she looks good and I want to try her out again if only because she was my SFII main

Rhapsody

Banned
So many tracks. Though I guess an old favorite is Captain America's theme in marvel VS Capcom. I get so pumped when he switches in, read to disperse Final Justice.

I wish I was there for some game transitions, mostly the switch between versus series games.

I wonder why Vampire never really took off in the US. Game was so much fun, probably my fav old capcom fighter.

Mario Maker and Horizon. And I guess Star Fox and Nier 2, maybe even Transformers Devastation.
I wish MvC3's Captain America song was as good as that one. :(

While I wasn't in the community or anything like that for tourneys, I remember all the change going about for CvS1 and MvC2. A lot of people didn't like 4 button layouts. MvC2 felt like it crippled some characters by not having mediums as a starter and the whole assist stuff was crazy. I never played CvS1 in arcades but I did play MvC2 back in the day. It was really odd to get used to. The roster size and the assist system was so overwhelming.

Sigmaah

Ever since the first reveal when they had OTG's and shit.. it just looked off to me.

Then I forgot Capcom Japan thinks niggas are hilarious so they made Birdie scratch his ass and have to pull up his pants while walking.

I mean.. really niggas

I see niggas pull up their pants while walking on the daily son, I dont see much scratching tho.

aight

I don't like the clay looking design for the characters
I think it needs some polish, still, no doubt.

I don't like no chip kills
I'm 50/50 on this. On one hand, there might be some stupid hard matchups where Ryu absolutely does not want to get close to a player, or where two characters don't want to get close to each other. Imagine a Guile vs. Guile mirror. Guile getting a non-chip kill on Guile might take quite a bit of effort, and it could lead to some pretty anti-climatic and lame finishes to matches.

On the other, I have never been a fan of a hard knockdown into EX Shoryuken (blocked) for a kill. Feels mighty lame to have the match "concluded" before it is done.

I don't like how slow/clunky the game looks, especially with the normals
I think it looks far, far less clunky than SFIV.

I don't like what they did with Birdie's design and Cammy's face
+1. But I think Cammy's face is mostly a lighting issue, and I think the game's lighting in general needs work.

I don't like the awkward piss-stained colour of ex-moves
SFIV has this, yah? I'm not a fan of it myself. I would rather blue...or hell, let people choose their color swirls at character select. That would be cool.

I don't like the metallic type font their using for the trailers and character select screen
Pretty ass. The "PERFECT" screen is the worst.

I don't like that it plays most like 3s
I think it is like any SF game after II. You have the core basics of II, and then a new mechanic is attached. 3 had parry, 4 has focus attacks, and 5 has V-stuff.

I don't like that it doesn't seem that combo extensive (it is day -300 tho)
Time to play Marvel. ;-)

I don't like the sound effects on the hits
Some are cool, some need work. I love how Cammy's drills sound on block, but it could get grating after a while.

I don't like how awkward the grabs are with the quick get up
I haven't noticed this.

I'll probably have more things to dislike the more I see the game tbh
Post it, always. That's what this thread is for, yah?

Why does SF need a two button dash?

And V-trigger replaces focus attacks
V-Trigger doesn't replace the depth of Focus Attacks - I've talked about this at length.

SF needs a two-button dash because it speeds up the neutral, and multiple options are a good thing. Personally, I have trouble double tapping to the right on my stick, so I would really appreciate it. It isn't something I can practice and get around, it just feels weird for my arm and goes slower than it should.

Karst, what about focus attacks needs a replacement.
FA added an extra layer of depth to the neutral; there was FADC forward, FADC backward, and then just the FA itself. Every moment of the neutral had to figure in for the possibility of the FA, and nothing is replacing it. It's a straight-up loss of depth in the neutral. I wasn't a fan of FA, but I am concerned that with its loss, the neutral will be too straight forward and easy to figure out. I'm worried the game will get "figured out" too fast with how basic it is.

I mean.. really niggas
kttcoliaicmon

Bison just looks.. weird.
It could be worse. They could have Birdie fight with maracas.

Rhapsody

Banned
I'm fine with no chip kills. I love them in the old games, but you need to only stick chip kills for games that are suited for them.

Can Ryu cancel the charge of his V-trigger fireballs? As in can he dash out of it while charging or something? Because since everyone seems to have anti-fireball options, it might seem like in the current state of the game it might make him "too committed" to the move to attempt it if there is no way out but to let go since there is so many on demand anti-fireball options.

Beckx

In general: The Last Guardian, Final Fantasy 7 Remake, Shenmue 3, Nier 2. Horizon etc.

Fighters: Capcom did a three day streaming event for SFV with various tournaments, lots of footage of the game out there (Daigo, Justin, Tokido, Fuudo etc. all attended).

Thanks, I'll go check out the footage from...

You missed:

Cammy vs. Bison
Cammy vs. Nash
Nash vs. Birdie
Birdie vs. Cammy
Cammy vs. Birdie
Birdie vs. Birdie
Cammy vs. Cammy
Birdie vs. Birdie
Birdie
Birdie
Birdie
Birdie
Cammy

...Fuck.

Eh...lol.

Coming from 3s, CvS2, Alpha series, ST, yeah, it's hella clunky.

Seriously just starting the cycle over of people disliking the next game in a series because the previous one is better/feels better/is more familier, etc.

This is where I'm at. SFIV was one of the first fighters I put serious time into, and then going bak to all of these after, IV feels like a slow, clunky mess in comparison. I haven't had hands on time with V but it looks faster, and I couldn't be happier about that.

Your reasons (if you can call them that) for wanting 2 button dash are entirely selfish, Karst. There's no proof that it'd be faster than double tap in Street Fighter.

Dahbomb

Your reasons (if you can call them that) for wanting 2 button dash are entirely selfish, Karst. There's no proof that it'd be faster than double tap in Street Fighter.
It WOULD be faster because pressing a button twice is faster than pressing two buttons together once. Like that's as objective as it gets.

It is still a selfish reason for wanting 2 buttons dash because not everyone plays on a stick. A game like SF doesn't even need 2 button dash, it's not like you are dashing so much all the time or you need to cancel out of dashes with crouches or normals.

Not wanting it is selfish. Options are good for everyone - I like options.

Easy proof that it is faster than a double tap:
1) Push forward on your stick twice.
2) Push forward on your stick once while pushing two buttons simultaneously.

The second one is faster. It's just simple logic. One button twice MUST take more time than three buttons pushed together on a stick. Imagine if Blanka could do electricity by pushing 5 attack buttons together simultaneously. Wouldn't that logically be faster than pianoing 5 buttons in a row? It's an extrapolation of that principle.

It WOULD be faster because pressing a button twice is faster than pressing two buttons together.

It is still a selfish reason for wanting 2 buttons dash because not everyone plays on a stick. A game like SF doesn't even need 2 button dash, it's not like you are dashing so much all the time or you need to cancel out of dashes with crouches or normals.
Pad players are welcome to set one of their shoulder buttons to a one-button dash like they do in Marvel. I don't see a problem with that.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace

...Fuck.
We got a lot of footage of all of the characters TBH, maybe not as much Bison but what we got from him was Wong.

Birdie and Cammy just ramped up as the tournament went along but a LOT of people picked Ryu to get their bearings.

Random question, but...how do you guys think Street Fighter 5 being console exclusive will affect the Street Fighter scene in Japan? Will all of the hardcore Arcade players make the transition to console? I've read a few players in Japan saying the scene will not embrace the game all that much if there's no Arcade release. I don't like the sound of that at all.

It's just hard to imagine a new Street Fighter game lacking an Arcade port. I know Super Street Fighter 4 was console exclusive until AE, but the Street Fighter 4 series began in the Arcade. I really hope this doesn't take away from its staying power over there.

Dahbomb

Pad players are welcome to set one of their shoulder buttons to a one-button dash like they do in Marvel. I don't see a problem with that.
There's already a lot of stuff you have to map to shoulder buttons as a pad player.

Just look at SFV for example.

*Need to map MP + MK for the V Skills.
*Need to map HP + HK for V Trigger.
*Need to map LP + LK for throws.
*Need to map 3 punches or 3 kicks for the Supers.

So even without having 2 button dash, you would still have some stuff left over that you might want to map.

Random question, but...how do you guys think Street Fighter 5 being console exclusive will affect the Street Fighter scene in Japan? Will all of the hardcore Arcade players make the transition to console? I've read a few players in Japan saying the scene will not embrace the game all that much if there's no Arcade release. I don't like the sound of that at all.

It's just hard to imagine a new Street Fighter game lacking an Arcade port. I know Super Street Fighter 4 was console exclusive until AE, but the Street Fighter 4 series began in the Arcade. I really hope this doesn't take away from its staying power over there.
What happened to SF over there when SSF4 was console exclusive, before AE? Probably that, whatever it is.

There's already a lot of stuff you have to map to shoulder buttons as a pad player.

So even without having 2 button dash, you would still have some stuff left over that you might want to map.
I won't deny that pad players have it rough, but they would have the option. You already have to leave 1 of those off your controller since you need 6 buttons for normals.

Actually, can pad players set inputs to L3 and R3? That would solve the issue. Push in R3 for V-Trigger, etc.

Skilletor

...Fuck.

lol, there's tons of footage. Just the tournaments were lots of birdie:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gH1yd8fD3p0 (pro tourney)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c20nYLhXPSw (editor's tourney...shidoshi played here!)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fAgWJusqevk (Q & A w/ ross and combofiend)

That guy's channel has tons of the stuff they put up.

Supers are just one button now. But the point still stands.

petghost

Banned
The animation on normals in v is def strange to me because it seems like it's not trying to emulate 2d sprite animations at all. More fluid like a 3d game.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace

I wonder if having the PS4 touch pad adding two additional inputs alleviates some of this. I can see V-Trigger being on there at the very least because it also slows down the game and gives you a pause to readjust your hand.

That addition to the controller always seemed like some bullshit to me but I have come to really appreciate how the touch pad can be used for extra functions in non-gimmicky ways.

Dahbomb

I wonder if having the PS4 touch pad adding two additional inputs alleviates some of this. I can see V-Trigger being on there at the very least because it also slows down the game and gives you a pause to readjust your hand.

That addition to the controller always seemed like some bullshit to me but I have come to really appreciate how the touch pad can be used for extra functions in non-gimmicky ways.
The touchpad is fine for stuff like bringing up menus and shit but not for doing stuff you would be doing in a fighting game. Too awkward of a space to be in.

Like it's used for Taunting in DMC4SE but even that feels awkward.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
The touchpad is fine for stuff like bringing up menus and shit but not for doing stuff you would be doing in a fighting game. Too awkward of a space to be in.
It's not really. You can definitely go from square (jab) to the right half of the touch pad back to resting your hand on square in no time at all, probably in the amount of time the V-Trigger freeze takes (and that's not even really meant to be used as a cancel, which would also be high level stuff if it is used that way and would warrant some advanced usage of any controller).

Tik-Tok

Imma main Birdie and chuck bananas at Count.
And when he gets mad at me I'll say don't blame me blame Ono's racist ass.

Capcoms next black character revealed:

hqdefault.jpg

Top Bottom