• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Games Weekly | June 22-28 | Ryu's in Smash 4, Jigglypuff's in SF5

ShinMaruku

I like where this topic went.
Of course black is technically not a nationality but in areas where they are minority it could be argued that they are second class citizens due to a huge assortment of things. 300 Years is a long time and people take LONG to change unless there is a catastrophe.

And I don't know how one can say there is too much focus on booty, it's just now aside from a older edition of Chun and Mai where there was booty, there was never a focus on booty.

The common consensus is that Dudley is Indian.

That's not "common" at all. This has never been inferred or stated anywhere.

Back before the old Warrior's Fate thread on SRK (origin of the infamous plot guide) turned into a war zone, he was confirmed to be of African ancestry by the curator of the plot guide at the time: http://forums.shoryuken.com/discussion/comment/7585481/#Comment_7585481 (For those who don't know, the plot guide is based on decades of official Japanese source material, interviews, articles, posters, and miscellaneous SF media pertaining to the storyline.)

Ryu indicates Japanese Asian around as much as Guile does American Caucasian and Zangief Russian Caucasian. For Mongoloid racial traits he's mostly if not practically always depicted with narrow eyes with folds, straight hair, fat-padded cheekbone areas, and a light brown shade of skin. He's never been associated or referenced with any other nation besides Japan, and he has a Japanese name.

Chun-Li has a specified liking for Western treats in general as well as crepes in particular, and not an authentic liking for blondes.

Jimmy and later Blanka is most likely Thai since his mother is from Thailand.

Cammy and Vega have unknown places of origin.

Hawk's always been in Mexico; he didn't move from anywhere else.

Guy is most likely from Japan since he was found there and raised as an orphan by Zeku. He also has a uncommon Japanese name together with Ryu.

Rolento is as American as Guy; American of East German descent.

Dan was born and raised in Hong Kong, but he's half Japanese and most likely half Thai as far as descent.

Birdie was redesigned to be black.

Dudley is classified as being of African descent; just as the random SF2 intro guy in CJ's rough sketches.

Elena isn't a member of any schoolgirls club. Although Capoeira has a Brazilian origin, it was first performed by African slaves there.

Nevermind the fact that the dude straight up looks like Evander Holyfield in some of his NG ending shots (in addition to the Chris Eubank comparisons).

jerry1594

Urien is Greek
Holy crap I forgot about Holyfield. He looks just like him with hair and a mustache markered on. In 3 at least, in 4 he looks like a skull with hair and a mustache.

joe2187

Banned
Of course black is technically not a nationality but in areas where they are minority it could be argued that they are second class citizens due to a huge assortment of things. 300 Years is a long time and people take LONG to change unless there is a catastrophe.

And I don't know how one can say there is too much focus on booty, it's just now aside from a older edition of Chun and Mai where there was booty, there was never a focus on booty.

If there is one thing I learned from playing Capcoms games, they have always emphasized the booty. They relish it.

The resident evil series alone is basically a shrine to it.

Heres how much they love it.

Here is claires main costume in RERE2

UnQ9gd1.jpg

And this is her classic Alt

ocZk5tt.jpg

ShinMaruku

Should always be a focus on both, IMO.

Like bifocals of the female anatomy.

pixelish

There's another I'm looking for now where Matt Dahlgren talked about the research the devs did for the stages to ensure the authenticity of global representations (lol) but I can't find it ATM.
i was talking to my friends who play sf about the new kings cross stage and we had a laugh at how inaccurate the depiction of kings cross station was lol

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
How do you y'all feel about them testing out some junk flopping physics?

We need to exploit the Kadey demographic moving forwards.

shaowebb

All I know is Dudley is amazing. He reminds me of the old gentleman boxers of the black and white film era and I love that gimmick.

Honestly anyone I see with a gimmick even remotely similar to an old style mustachioed strongman or boxer warms my heart. Makes one HELLUVA GREAT LUCHA GIMMICK!
CX3LXf3.jpg

Gentlemania is running mild!

Nyoro SF

Southcenter Mall
2351 Southcenter Mall
Seattle, WA 98188

LMAO I was literally there like 10 minutes ago! I didn't see anything being built... maybe I'm blind. An arcade in my backyard? What is this the 90's? Southcenter is where i learned MVC2 =( Ohhh the good old days.

BakedYams

Slayer of Combofiends
You know it's true, brah. Give it a couple of years and folks will jump off this bandwagon into something else. Maybe armpits.

The Golden Age of Fighters. Lets get some perfect teeth in the mix.
Inb4 DJ smile.

If there is one thing I learned from playing Capcoms games, they have always emphasized the booty. They relish it.

The resident evil series alone is basically a shrine to it.

Heres how much they love it.

Here is claires main costume in RERE2

UnQ9gd1.jpg

And this is her classic Alt

ocZk5tt.jpg

rain-scene-in-shawshank-redemption.gif

How do you y'all feel about them testing out some junk flopping physics?

We need to exploit the Kadey demographic moving forwards.

LkztBZN.gif

Capcom cares

Finally, what we all deserve.

Top Bottom