• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Games Weekly | May 11-17 | Sticks and Stones Break Zangief's Bones

shaowebb

Real talk this week.

kG5pxyP.jpg

...or combinations of tools etc.

BakedYams

Slayer of Combofiends
I'll be out of my house until 10 or so :(

Vulva pls
I'll wait patiently.

Define way earlier

8ish lol

What am I suppose to make of this? Not a lot of pros are that entertaining on the mic lol

Real talk this week.

A2QuC9V.jpg

I love teching in melee cause you can go side to side or neutral. Hell, to up the meta don't even tech. I find it good and bad at the same time, good since we get Bizarro Flame moments with dairs for days, bad how there is a damn option for every tech if the person reads you right. Gimme some room to breathe lol

convo

I feel partly responsible for that GB interview and i still don't know what Jeebies are.
Also sucks about that stolen stuff, we recently had a break in where 30K of money and jewelry was stolen and nothing else,nothing in ways of electronics and stuff but some things dear to my mother. Hope they can catch whoever did that.

Seyavesh

ethically i am against vigilante justice..

but panda is one of the coolest dudes ive met. he's seriously given it all for the community- from hosting events to streaming nonstop to going out to other events in the south on his own dime to stream for them so the south can get more exposure.

so for someone to just scope him out like that just for quick cash...

i hope they get their neck wringed proper tight.

shaowebb

art?

Eh only thing I can think of ground roll recovery and burst-like stuff.

LOL! Thanks. Went back and removed the typo.

For me I guess its a combination of tools. I see a lot of love for delayed wakeups and I love them too, but that alone isn't enough to deal with wakeup stuff. It gets rid of guaranteed unblockable stuff, but I feel wakeups need a combination of tools before you eliminate all the shenanigans and turn it into a really fair situation. I like rolls with delayed wakeup a lot. I'm not certain how I feel about armored wakeups though because it makes people overly respect folks after a knockdown and on the flipside it makes knockdown heavy characters turn into meter destroying monsters for their opponents...those sorts of folks know to block them just to bait the loss of meter and still get a punish and thats a bit too good. So yeah...I don't really know that I feel armored wakeups are very good.

I guess I prefer wakeups that are defensive and give you more of a mobility option than just ones that put you in a scenario where you may not only get blocked and stuffed but also lose your meter.

Corner pressure I like the idea of alpha counters, just defend tools and pushblock in that order.

Tripon

Real talk this week.

kG5pxyP.jpg

I go back and forth with teching off the ground. When I knock somebody on the ground, I want him to stay there, or if I'm knocked off the ground, I feel like I deserve to stay on the ground and get punished for it. However, teching saves my ass more times I can count so I can't really hate it.

Wall Jumping is another thing that confuses me, especially when there isn't any walls on the stage, lol.

Just feels mean to take peoples stuff at a community event. These are folks aligned with similar interests and you shouldn't have to worry about scummy elements.

Shouta

Man, Panda's stuff getting stolen is awful. That's some seriously scummy shit by folks in the community since it looks like it was targeted rather than random. =/

Beckx

Oh hey it's the 20 year anniversary of Virtua Fighter's home launch in NA.

The fighting game that sank a company's console hopes!

-----------------

Combo Breaker is the first event I'm really excited to watch this year. (That's mainly on me, my enthusiasm this year is ... muted.)

I spent way more money than I should have on Virtua Fighter 3 and Tokyo Battle. My summer with Lion was a blur and my shirts smelled of cigarettes from the arcades, my sister thought I was smoking.

I don't think I ever played Virtua Fighter 3. I remember playing 1 and 2 in the arcades, and I played the shit out of 4, but I never had 3. My Dreamcast only had MVC2, DOA2 and Soul Calibur in terms of fighting games.

NEO0MJ

I only ever played 1&2 in the arcades before as a kid. Only came back to it more than a decade later with VF 5 FR.

Real talk this week.

kG5pxyP.jpg

EX hurricane kick with GUY

learn it, live it, love it

worst? depends on the game and the mechanics. if the game has instant overheads and lots of guessing games, then i consider that a bit unfair without invincible moves to overcome at the cost of something

Malice215

I played VF3 in the arcade, but never really played it on the Dreamcast. Spent most of my time playing 2, 4EVO, 5, and 5FS. Plus other fighting games were more popular on the Dreamcast at that time.

Combo Breaker is the first event I'm really excited to watch this year. (That's mainly on me, my enthusiasm this year is ... muted.)

There's been alot of great events this year to watch, but I'm really looking forward to see what Combo Breaker has in store. Now I just need to find the time to watch all that's going on on that weekend.

Mr. X

Shit like this? Nah, known people with shit worth stealing targeted? That's new. Petty theft has been a thing for a while but the recent stuff has been like actual breaking into cars and stuff.

For what it's worth Combo Breaker tweeted out they hire security, and I know a few other places actually have real security at their events. At KiT we had local police (who we unfortunately had to grab at some point) hanging around and some precautions, but paying out for hired security wasn't a thing that was seen as needed. Probably is worth paying out for these days :/

It's also worth anybody with equipment that valuable (organizers, streamers, production staff and crews) should look into getting stuff insured. It's not the cheapest or most common type of policy to get, but worth it.

Again, lots of hindsight. Worked with Panda a lot and he deserves better. Dude lost a lot more than just some cameras.

One EVO when they were shooting a documentary about Daigo I think, those guys had their equipment stolen.

kirblar

Events are getting bigger, spectators get in free, why arent you getting security at the stream set ups and outside the venue? Events are attracting so much attention, it is not only "FGC" there.
At GP: Baltimore (for MTG) a few years back there was a massive backpack theft ring operating there - they found a hotel room filled with them. One of my friends got attacked in the bathroom by someone trying to take his. Unfortunately it comes with the territory as things grow.

At GP: Baltimore (for MTG) a few years back there was a massive backpack theft ring operating there - they found a hotel room filled with them. One of my friends got attacked in the bathroom by someone trying to take his. Unfortunately it comes with the territory as things grow.

I could totally see a backpack thief getting a room full of them by stealing under tables or whatever. But ripping them off someone's back in a restroom?

That's actually kind of impressive.

Real talk this week.

kG5pxyP.jpg

I like KOF's cocktail of block, jump, roll, guard cancel and an input system where you'll get a reversal on the side you want it done. Gives the player many options but also forces straightforward commitment to whatever you choose, which I appreciate.

*KOF13 at least checks for special move validity on button press, ie. it stores input directions as absolutes and you press punch, it sees if there's a valid DP for the character's perspective the moment the button is pressed. SF4 stores directions in terms of forward/backward so what inputs you need to do to get a crosscut DP can change mid-input. Cue furious mashing because of the shortcut and long buffer.

kirblar

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";163546903]I could totally see a backpack thief getting a room full of them by stealing under tables or whatever. But ripping them off someone's back in a restroom?

That's actually kind of impressive.[/QUOTE]
He didn't get the backpack.

I played Virtua Fighter in the arcade and left the machine laughing when I saw those moon jumps. Didn't even bother with the series again until 5, or whichever one came out on PS3.

BakedYams

Slayer of Combofiends
So i guess we will never see the Slayer of Combofiends again

One day it'll be slayer of team eg. I'm gonna see if I can face each one in Marvel. Sadly I hate the Wolverine mirror so it'll be a trial.

naw, you play a grappler, therefore I'm automatically free to you lol.

Not unless you counterpick and raw ultra... I still remember that.

I haven't beaten you at SF yet, Yams

You never will Smedwicks, I'm that confident.

youve beaten combofiend. Is this how a winner would act? Come on yams

lol, i got lucky.

Top Bottom