• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Games Weekly | May 11-17 | Sticks and Stones Break Zangief's Bones

It's a bit early but I believe by the time Capcom Cup rolls around, the 32nd seed will have less than 128 points.

I wouldn't be surprised to see more americans traveling as the tour winds down and they're only a few dozen points from qualifying.

After thinking about it some more, if players start to notice that the 32nd place will have less than 128 points I can see the last few ranking events being attended by everyone. By the end of the pro tour there will have to be about a dozen players (from Asia, Europe, and US) able to get 32nd with very few points between them.

Right now there are 5 players tied for 32nd place, each with 16 points.

I think it all depends on which players attend the ranking events. Some players are still attending the ranking events because they're using last year's points total to gauge how much they will need to get in. I think Tokido is one of these players. He's going to the German ranking event the week after Stunfest. He already has 168 points and is going to attend the prem. events. He has no need to attend ranking events unless he wants to get a top 3 seed or something because he will pick up points throughout the tour because he's good enough to place high at all the prem. events he's going to. A lot of players will be in position to gate keep points at these ranking events and if they continue to attend ranking events, the total points needed to get into Capcom Cup will be lower than what it could be.

CEwIagtW0AMy6gc.jpg

persona belt for ceo.

new page

Real talk this week.

kG5pxyP.jpg

...or combinations of tools etc.
Burst, dragon punch/AA moves, pushblock, Super Jump, Super moves/Delayed hyper combos and guard cancel mostly universal mechanics in specific series that do the trick. Bursts and non DP AA moves are the only ones I'm good at using. For some reason I tend to flub my dps in high pressure situations, but I'm trying to improve on that front in Skullgirls and VSav. Other than that we have tons of unique character specific mechanics like Hsien-Ko's Dark Force and Pendulum cancel. Full hyper armor tends to push even the most aggressive VSav players away and rapid pendulum cancels give Lei Lei immense vertical spacing when done in the air. That is my personal favorite, but probably because I spend more time on VSav than most other fighters. We've also got wall climbs like Striders and Felicias or armored normals like Hulks amored moves, Painwheel's armored attacks or Anji Mito's different armored attacks with unique guard points. Let's not forget Baiken with her unique GC mechanics that make an opponent's life much harder.

Fighters have such a wonderful variety of ways to pressure someone or respond to pressure that it sometimes becomes a bit overwhelming when you really sit down to think about it.

So I started playing UNIEL this weekend and have been playing with merkava, waldstein, and gordeau (I'm sorry). I want to stick with merkava personally but have a question about some the J6D. Is the timing and motion similar to IAD in GG or a little more lenient?

Anne

So I started playing UNIEL this weekend and have been playing with merkava, waldstein, and gordeau (I'm sorry). I want to stick with merkava personally but have a question about some the J6D. Is the timing and motion similar to IAD in GG or a little more lenient?

It's similar to IAD from ASW games, you just hit D instead of returning to neutral. If you're doing it off charge 6C, the input looks like 6[C] > hold up forward > forward+D. The game buffers the jump for awhile so it makes it easy if you just hold the jump a few frames, then switch to forward.

Yams is adorable btw. Work on them foosies. Also SF4 is the only game I can do a full combo into a knockdown, taunt, and then unblockable you. 10/10 game of the forever.

Nemo was trying to make Makoto a sub character of his, but he said it's not working out. He wants to add another sub character like he did successfully with Decapre.

Mago has already said that he plans to use Sagat and Fei for certain matchups.

After thinking about it some more, if players start to notice that the 32nd place will have less than 128 points I can see the last few ranking events being attended by everyone.

Remember last year we had a similar scenario with Gamerbee, Knuckledu, Ricky, and Kbrad all battling for that last 2 spots. Ricky went to Mexico, Kbrad went to Resistance, Gamerbee was in CPT Asia Final, and Knuckledu stayed home and played in online qualifiers which nobody else seemed to know about. This year we have a similar scenario with Defend the North in NY and Ciber Olympico in Costa Rica. Guys who really want in Capcom Cup even if they have no points to their name will have to choose between the two.

The idea that 32nd place will have less than 128 points was something I predicted when CPT 2015 was announced. I thought when Poongko won that tourney in France that he already booked his ticket to San Francisco. So if that really holds true then anyone, and I mean anyone can still qualify for Capcom Cup by winning either of those two events.

Get invited to the GAF lobby right as a headache is coming on, boot up the game before I get my stick out, and then my stick doesn't register and I get bodied in a second, lol

I'll fight you later Yams

Hey cybit can you sponsor me for CEO? I suddenly want to get a tan win GAF a belt. Who can stop me in the US in P4A? I already beat Q in a FT10 one time. I've never seen bananaken actually play, or have ever actually watched a P4A tournament, but I assume I have enough experience against Slab at this point. And I think we all know that Lordknight is a scrub.

In exchange I'll give you one(1) live(text) shoutout on a weekday of your choice. And name a character after you in my next RPG playthrough.

Real talk, when CPT announced the 1mil prize pool everybody was like $$$ in their eyes, but... after looking at that list, I'm having a hard time picking out anybody who wouldn't have been there otherwise. I think the main thing that has changed is where certain players stand, as people (especially APAC players) have been travelling way more than before.

What about a guy like Tonpy? He seems like someone who has been leveling up. Or just playing more events? Or both?

Onemic

Nemo was trying to make Makoto a sub character of his, but he said it's not working out. He wants to add another sub character like he did successfully with Decapre.

Mago has already said that he plans to use Sagat and Fei for certain matchups.

I understand Fei, but why Sagat? Doesnt Fei cover pretty much all of Yang's bad MU's, except for maybe Rolento?

fuck gief, cheapest character ever

...but you use gief :/

El Sloth

Banned
Get invited to the GAF lobby right as a headache is coming on, boot up the game before I get my stick out, and then my stick doesn't register and I get bodied in a second, lol

I'll fight you later Yams
Damn, pulling out all the excuses to duck Yams.

Should be forced to play Yams in a streamed FT10 now. Avatar on the line.

putting my hrap3 in the trash can is the hardest thing I've ever done ;_;

OMG MY MOST FAVORITE STREAMER IS GONNA FACE ME! IM GETTING THE GEEBIES NOW!!!

Was that you playing rolento? lol sorry about the match, my stick was dropping in and out, getting the usb disconnect sound constantly. I dunno why I keep hoping my stick will suddenly be ok again :-(

It's like, yay It's working! then my buttons don't do anything and I stand there like an asshole until someone jumps on me.

mbpm1

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";163613560]
Was that you playing rolento? lol sorry about the match, my stick was dropping in and out, getting the usb disconnect sound constantly. I dunno why I keep hoping my stick will suddenly be ok again :-(

It's like, yay It's working! then my buttons don't do anything and I stand there like an asshole until someone jumps on me.[/QUOTE]

You oughtta have a donation drive. All streamers do it no sweat

BakedYams

Slayer of Combofiends
I already regret this lol

Time to grind it out. Wish I could go to NL this Wednesday... Got life crashing down on me on Thursday.

Tried to join Yams' but Steam gatekept me and wouldn't let me get into the room lol

I really wanted to play you tonight, I'll be doing these sessions more frequently to prepare for any tournaments in the future. I learned a lot more SF4 in the past couple of hours than I ever did with Gief in 2-3 years.

Top Bottom